Beans and Paleo

First, yes, I know that you're not allowed by the letter of the diet. That much is easy.

However, I work at a Mexican restaurant, and I get one free meal there a day. Adding beans is what changes it from 600 calories to more like 900.

So, what do you guys think? Should I drop the beans and hope for the best, or can I stick with them? I do want to lose my gut, but I don't want to be calorie-deprived at work. What say you?

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Alright, I will be dropping the beans, and maybe getting triple meat instead of double (which I already get; that's how I get it to 600) if I find I start having issues. Thanks, guys!

Also, I would totally get guacamole if I didn't find it tasted disgusting. It's like fat-flavored vomit to me. I don't know why.

Quac on everything! :)

/\ this!

We have a grocery that makes it fresh and uses the freshest ingredients....but I haven't learned to put it ON everything.

I'm still trying to get my head around the problem with beans....but having just been told to double up my eggs....I guess I'll have to double up my meat....

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Try making your own, so you know what's in it. For me, I don't like it plain, I put in lemon juice, cilantro, red onions, and jalapenos.

Recipe I use:[ATTACH=CONFIG]4654[/ATTACH]

The other ingredients are hardly the issue. I make the guacamole at my workplace sometimes (ingredients: avocados, salt, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, citrus juice). The issue is the avocados themselves taste bad to me.

But, hey, I can get as much meat as I want, so I'll live.

The other ingredients are hardly the issue. I make the guacamole at my workplace sometimes (ingredients: avocados, salt, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, citrus juice). The issue is the avocados themselves taste bad to me.

But, hey, I can get as much meat as I want, so I'll live.

I totally get you. 100% agree. Avocados are weird.

:strawberry:Hobbit Ranger, Dragon Slayer, Crazy Cat Lady, Beekeeper :strawberry:

Sixth Ranger Challenge

First, yes, I know that you're not allowed by the letter of the diet. That much is easy.

However, I work at a Mexican restaurant, and I get one free meal there a day. Adding beans is what changes it from 600 calories to more like 900.

So, what do you guys think? Should I drop the beans and hope for the best, or can I stick with them? I do want to lose my gut, but I don't want to be calorie-deprived at work. What say you?

If you're trying to lose weight, 600 calories is not bad for lunch. Any way you can add some fat in place of the beans?

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

i used to hate avocados. give it a few months on paleo. your tastes will change.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

A little off topic, but I have always been curious about the way beans are cooked here in the States? I'm from Mexico, and yes, beans are staple food, but we soak them at least overnight (my grandma would two 24 hrs, two washes of lukewarm water) and then cook them in the crock pot for at least another twelve hours (with lots of herbs, particularly this*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphania_ambrosioides)

How different is this from those who cook beans? I do believe that all this process does reduce (not eliminate) some of the problems with eating beans. I have reduced my consumption to a minimum, but every once in a while I think of home and cook a batch, that lasts FOREVER since I eat so little now.*

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is insanity. Or practice.

Infinity Knight Assassin

Because not only the World but the Entire Universe is my playground

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

I Cook! Kinda...

Curious about paleo and the science behind it. Anyone have any links or citations to the lectin content of beans before and after cooking or the inflammatory effects of lectin in vivo?

Plants produce a lot of nasty secondary compounds to avoid being eaten, but cooking and fermentation can go a long way towards denaturing those proteins.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level:1

Name:Mirlith

Race:Half-Elf

Day Job:Wizard

Class:Druid

[sTR] - 2 // [DEX] - 2 // [sTA] - 2 // [CON] - 2 // [WIS] - 4 // [CHA] - 3

Current Challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16507-Better-late-than-never-the-quest-begins!&p=251017#post251017

"And I don't fear, that dusty god-forsaken path, somewhere far beyond...." - Blind Guardian

http://www.quora.com/Paleo-Diet/Why-are-beans-not-Paleo-friendly

You have to soak, grind, or do something to its rawest form to be consumable. Green beans are okay, as they can be consumed in its raw state. I actually never ate beans with the exception of the occasional chili before discovering paleo, so I don't really miss them. I think they're okay every now and then.

just keep on trucking...