Random Wanderer's Chronicle

So after Kung fu tonight I stopped a the good old target to practice the climb up and wall run.

I could feel myself gripping and holding the wall much better While practicing the climb ups... Definitely felt like progress, of course I have yet to do a climb up to this point.

Now I tried the wall runs from a farther back full sprint and I felt I got fairly high but I need mucho work on the horizontal to vertical energy transference. I feel that is what was holding me back.

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

last night I did Kung fu, Parkour wall climb practice, and a little handstand practice

went to the gym this morning -

RandomWanderer Tracked a Workout for 1,039 pts Today

• Jumping Jacks:

• 50 jumping jacks (+15 pts)

[*]One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

• 40 lb x 10 reps (+39 pts)

[*]Bench Dip (Seated Dip):

• 12 reps (+22 pts)
    • 12 reps (+22 pts)
    • 12 reps (+22 pts)

[*]Body Weight One-Leg Squat:

• 5 reps (+17 pts)
    • 2 reps (+7 pts)
    • 6 reps (+21 pts)
    • 2 reps (+7 pts)
    • my usual pistols in between walking lunges, balancing on top of dumbbells. Fun stuff that gets you weird looks lol, but us Assassin types do these things!

[*]Decline Push-Up:

• 12 reps (+18 pts)
    • 12 reps (+18 pts)
    • 12 reps (+18 pts)

[*]Barbell Squat:

• 135 lb x 8 reps (+75 pts)

[*]Barbell Deadlift:

[*]Dumbbell Lunges:

• 20 lb x 14 reps (+67 pts)

[*]Dip Station Straight Leg Raise:

• 10 reps (+5 pts)
    • 10 reps (+5 pts)
    • 10 reps (+5 pts)

[*]Body Weight Squat:

• 20 reps (+13 pts)

[*]Body Weight Lunge:

• 10 reps (+12 pts)

[*]Push-Up:

• 20 reps (+30 pts)

[*]Jump Rope:

• 0:03:00 (+14 pts)

These are my comments regarding the current state of my body and workout -

RandomWanderer I'll make a comment here since there is no general comment on a work out. Ya know it's funny I feel almost as if my body has "reset" itself. I really think over the past few months I must of pushed myself too hard and it's coming back to bite me. I think doing the 2 mud runs + my 7 mile barefoot run in such a short time beat me up pretty good, although it was fun as hell, and kind of caused my body to go " woah.. slow down".

Just now

RandomWanderer reason I say this is because lately i've noticed myself being weaker then normal. When I was doing circle walking in kung fu last night, something that i've done for years and my body rarely gets tired of doing it anymore, last night my arms felt like huge weights, this morning everything felt like it was " a lot" even though it's the same workout I was pounding out 3x a week before.... my calf is still not fully healed from my ruck run either and I don't want to inflame it.

Just now

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

running in the morning and gym in the afternoon with handstand practice and pistols.

RandomWanderer Tracked a Workout for 1,269 pts Today

• Running:
    • 0:18:10 || 1.6 mi || 0 bpm || 0 lb (+122 pts)
    • normal Saturday morning run with a friend as the sun rises.

[*]Jumping Jacks:

[*]One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

• 50 lb x 8 reps (+40 pts)
    • went up to 50 because 40 felt too light.. I think 45 is a bit too light and 50 is a tad bit too heavy, first two sets were ok, the third was a bit rough on form.

• 12 reps (+22 pts)
    • 12 reps (+22 pts)
    • 12 reps (+22 pts)

[*]Burpee:

• 15 reps (+33 pts)
    • forgot my jump rope so burpees instead

• 3 reps (+10 pts)
    • 2 reps (+7 pts)
    • 2 reps (+7 pts)
    • 1 reps (+5 pts)
    • 2 reps (+7 pts)
    • 2 reps (+7 pts)
    • my normal pistols on top of the dumbbells.. hard to find my balance today so low sets.

[*]Decline Push-Up:

• 12 reps (+18 pts)
    • 12 reps (+18 pts)
    • 12 reps (+18 pts)

[*]Barbell Squat:

• 155 lb x 8 reps (+85 pts)
    • added 20lbs to the 135 I've been doing for a while, worked well , didn't feel heavy. it was time.

[*]Barbell Deadlift:

• added 20lbs to the 135 I've been doing for a while, worked well , didn't feel heavy. it was time.

[*]Dumbbell Lunges:

• 10 reps (+5 pts)
    • 10 reps (+5 pts)
    • 10 reps (+5 pts)

[*]Body Weight Squat:

• 20 reps (+13 pts)

[*]Body Weight Lunge:

• 10 reps (+12 pts)

[*]Push-Up:

• 20 reps (+30 pts)

[*]Handstand:

• 40 sec (+17 pts)
    • 25 sec (+10 pts)
    • 20 sec (+8 pts)
    • assisted against the wall at the gym on my journey to try and get a 5 second unassisted handstand. I took a lot of the advice I've been given on the nerd fitness forums for my handstand challenge and tried to put it into practice. I had one part where I had my toes pointed up, weight on my upper palms, fingers controlling balance, everything tucked in, and I 'accidentally" came off the wall into a handstand for just about my normal 3 seconds.. however this felt different, this felt stable... secure.. like I could of stayed in that position all day. It was a sort of "ah hah" moment that made me feel I was on to something and progressing in my practice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RandomWanderer Tracked a Workout for 1,140 pts Today

• Jumping Jacks:

[*]One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

• 45 lb x 8 reps (+38 pts)
    • felt a little weaker over all today and 50 was too much, 45 was just right.

• 12 reps (+22 pts)
    • 12 reps (+22 pts)
    • 12 reps (+22 pts)

• 8 reps (+28 pts)
    • 4 reps (+14 pts)
    • 5 reps (+17 pts)
    • 2 reps (+7 pts)
    • normal pistols on top of the dumbbells

[*]Decline Push-Up:

• 12 reps (+18 pts)
    • 12 reps (+18 pts)
    • 12 reps (+18 pts)

[*]Barbell Squat:

[*]Barbell Deadlift:

[*]Dumbbell Lunges:

• 10 reps (+5 pts)
    • 10 reps (+5 pts)
    • 10 reps (+5 pts)

[*]Body Weight Squat:

• 20 reps (+13 pts)

[*]Body Weight Lunge:

• 10 reps (+12 pts)

[*]Push-Up:

• 20 reps (+30 pts)

[*]Jump Rope:

• 0:03:00 (+14 pts)

[*]Wall Handstand:

• 30 sec (+10 pts)
    • 30 sec (+10 pts)
    • 30 sec (+10 pts)
    • I had not noticed that they had " wall handstand" in my searches before! this is more fitting for this one.

so also I made 3 videos at the gym today - Handstand practice, deadlift, and pistols/lunges

<font size="3">

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RandomWanderer Tracked a Workout for 361 pts Today

• Jumping Jacks:

[*]One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

• 12 reps (+22 pts)
    • 12 reps (+22 pts)
    • 12 reps (+22 pts)

[*]Decline Push-Up:

• 12 reps (+18 pts)
    • 12 reps (+18 pts)
    • 12 reps (+18 pts)

• 10 reps (+5 pts)
    • 10 reps (+5 pts)
    • 10 reps (+5 pts)

[*]Body Weight Squat:

• 20 reps (+13 pts)

[*]Body Weight Lunge:

• 10 reps (+12 pts)

[*]Push-Up:

• 20 reps (+30 pts)

[*]Jump Rope:

• 0:02:00 (+9 pts)

[*]Wall Handstand:

• 30 sec (+10 pts)
    • 30 sec (+10 pts)
    • 30 sec (+10 pts)
    • One of my goals this Nerd Fitness challenge is go get a 5 second free standing handstand. I believe I just accomplished that goal, although

Comment Share

• RandomWanderer I've been in the middle of this jump rope challenge doing about 600 a day and my body has been beat, I didn't feel it going to the gym Thursday which is my normal day.. but last night and this morning I felt like I had to at least try to hit the gym and see what happened.
    Just now

• RandomWanderer so I went and when I started to do a squat my left leg had some weird feelings and maybe some pains, I decided not to push it so I cut out squats and deadlifts and my walking lunges.
    Just now

• RandomWanderer I'm writing in these shorter sentences because fitocracy doesn't "stop" you when you go past their limit and just cuts the words off.
    Just now

So thanks to habit I was compelled to go to the gym today, I'm glad I did because I'm gonna call it that I hit my 5 second free handstand goal. I've been following everyone's advice and every time I've been going to the gym I end a session with handstand practice. I think I am going to make this an every workout occurance because it's honestly just fun and you leave on a high note.

I'm not 100% sure it was a full 5 seconds, as I think I had just began the process of falling to the ground on the count of five LOL, but I'm gonna call it anyways and see how much further I can get by the time the challenge is up. Also for Dilpedo, I did 4 handstands against the wall today, only one time kicking up did I hit the wall hard, the rest I achie " gentle rest against the wall" YAY!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Running:

• 0:36:27 || 3.2 mi || 11:23 min/mi (+281 pts)
  • Also barefoot in 35 degree weather at 7am. Running in winter is interesting because I feel hot, I'm sweating, and I'm numb at the same time lol. What I do know from my survival studies is sweat + cold weather = bad . I had nz gloves, hoodie and cap on to start but took them off (and hoodie down) half way through due to getting warm and starting to sweat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just did 3 hours of parkour training.. and I can barely move. It was amazing to actually PK with a group and learn from people who have been doing it for years. The most experienced guy Carl who is sort of like the leader/head mentor ( and yeah all these guys are like 18-19 lol) is a cool guy and I look forward to going back again next Saturday. He started me out practicing precisions for an hour or so then I learned how to roll, and thanks to his tutelage I found my line that I had not found in all the practice I did before. It is amazingly different feeling when you do a proper roll down your line compared to when you dont.

I ended up with learning the basics of tic tacs as well, by then my legs were killing me lol. I'm beat beyond believe after 3 hours of this, but it was very fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I was out again with the youngsters doing parkour ( they range in age from 16-20 and I'm 34) and they had me learn safety vaults so I did those for about 20 minutes, took a pretty hard bail on one of the vaults when my hand slipped. I got back up and kept practicing. Then my teacher Carl wanted me to do a speed vault.

A Safety Vault is where your outside foot touches the obstacle your vaulting.. a speed vault is when it goes over as in this pic below.

So I was feeling afraid to do it, the fencing(thick white fancy fencing) was only about hip hight maybe a little higher, but there was a bit of a drop, about 2 feet on the other end down into a tight pathway, I had fears of clipping my feet and taking another dive so I just decided to do some more safety vaults. Anyways I went for another try and for some ungodly reason my body just did a speed vault, I did not PLAN to do a speed vault when I started my run , it just happened, with no thought. After my amazement I tried a few more, started over thinking and fearing again, but ended with a good one.

Parkour is amazing, addicting, and shows you that you can do things with your body you'd never thought that you could do.

post-7922-13567245207411_thumb.jpg

post-7922-13567245207411_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

back after a week at the monastery then right into Hurricane Sandy. I became pretty lazy being cooked up, started playing some War Z(which is an insanely awesome game btw) when the power came on and got addicted to that(with no work the last two days and not leaving the house.. I had to put in close to 16 hours lol). I did my first run this morning 1.25 miles in 18 minutes, felt good to be back in the swing of working out. I also go back to work for the first time today. My Gym and huge parts of my town are still without power almost a week after, but thats not as bad as all the destroyed homes in my town around the waterfront area.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm trying to get back into the swing of regular exercise AND documenting it.. i've been off track of documenting for some time now.

Today -

RandomWanderer Tracked a Workout for 233 pts Today

• Running:
    • 0:48:48 || 3.5 mi (+233 pts)
    • first time running in the winter with thick socks, which is supposedly what barefoot runners use. I think they worked out well, my feet were pretty warm and thanks to my technique looks like my socks were not damaged at all, even on roads and sidewalks.

Comment Share

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

RandomWanderer Tracked a Workout for 172 pts Today

• Trail Running:

• 0:53:55 || 2.7 mi || 20:43 min/mi || moderate hills || 55 lb (+172 pts)

That was a hell of a GORUCK training run up and down the hills. The last .67 i went back in and held the pack in either hand as i jogged and also held it over my head as i jogged.. Ive got to be nuts... But damned if it wasnt fun as hell.

Just running through the woods in winding river and i spooked a deer, for bout 20 seconds me and this deer ran in sync through the woods... Was a beautiful experience. Then i come up this hill and bam not 40 feet away is 3 deer and 3 little doe. We all stopped dead in our tracks and stared at each other for a few minutes then I ran off in the opposite direction to not spook them more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forgot Parkour on Saturday -

Parkour/Freerunning:

• 2:00:00 (+400 pts)
  • normal saturday practice.

and today -

RandomWanderer Tracked a Workout for 126 pts Today

• Running:
    • 0:42:00 || 2.5 mi || 16:51 min/mi || flat || 10 lb (+126 pts)
    • run was a little rough after pushing myself with the run and then 2 hours of parkour on Saturday.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't posted in this thing in ages.. but I can add that I completed a beast of a GORUCK challenge this Friday night into Saturday afternoon.

grt.jpg

It was the most physically demanding thing I've ever done In my life.. And both cadre and alumni said it was
extremely tough compared to most goruck challenges... Class 423..holy shit i got it...

When I shook stokes hand and got the patch.. It was easily one of the most proud moments of my life.
I fell to my knees in the surf, put that patch on, and nearly cried like a frickin girlie man lol..

Between
1am and 11am we went in the water 5 times. i'm talking on back scissor
kicks, rolling, face in water and also up to your waist. Take your polar
bear club and shove it!! We also carried that Pylon for about 8 hours
Stokes said. My pack weight was 56 pounds with the full water bladder, I
went through that whole 100oz before the half way point but then
everything was wet and sand built up... I'm frickin crazy for having so
much weight.

Easy day... All Day!

This is what one Alumni posted - "Class 423 index... fuck telephone poles, we get a pylon. Out of five GRCs so far, gotta give it to Chris Goruck Stokes for giving us the roughest one."

and this is what Stokes said at the beginning -

"This is gonna be unlike any challenge you've ever done" - Chris Goruck Stokes

Stokes
also said that because there were so many alumni in the class( some of
which had tried selection and many who had 5-10+ challenges complete)
Stokes said he wanted to make it rough to train them for what they would
see in Selection... I was the lucky newbie to be a part of that.. LOL.

a few pictures are out already, waiting on the main shadow who is a photographer to get his out -

it
should be easy to spot me as I'm the guy who lost his beanie half way
through.. in addition to my bladder nipple cap and other stuff LOL.. you
don't have time to shift through the sand trying to find stuff in this
challenge. Bald dude is me.

buddy carry! got to carry about 4-5 times as we moved down the beach.
buddy%20carry.jpg

scissor
kicks... at one point in the night I had to lift my legs up with my
hands , even though Stokes told us to keep hands up.. I just literally
had muscle failure in arms and legs

scissor%20kicks.jpg

and this was the Pylon....what a beast

under%20the%20pylon.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]