Career change for the older guys...

On the heels of this thread...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?14826-going-down-and-crying

Need you help fellow nerds! I'm 30

Any motivvation/demotivational personal experiences from you guys out there?

I finally put down my papers! Not only is the current studio I work for a hell hole where we put in insane overtime (it's a Sunday and I'm in the studio), the people here have BIG attitude and ego problems and there's lots of screaming and bulling and foul language.

As if thats not enough- I'm really not enjoying my job profile here. Earlier I was an artist, now am into artist management -sucks! I plan to get into animation again.

Some other avenues I want to try but am really scared to discuss even with myself include a complete carrer change. Me- as a ...gasp! personal trainer! I do't know...I enjoy lifting...but does that mean I should get into this full time? There's this voice inside of me which is SCREAMING "NO! NO! Just stay where you are! At least you have SOME Cash flow!"

In the past I always heard and went ahead what this part of me said. Hence always took the safe route....not making any waves..stiffling my personality to fit in and always thinking about what others think.

It's really scarey now- but good scarey! Maybe I'll be moving down in life for a while after I quit my job- but at least I'll be moving and not be stagnant!

Fellow Nerds! Inputs please on midlife career changes and how to make the best of being unemployed for a while!

I have been struggling with this myself. I am a programmer, but I think I want to try something new. I am 35 and in peak earning years. I make a decent salary and I have a wife and two kids which make a change really hard. I have several hobbies and an interest in a few more like woodworking. It is possible to make a living out of some of it but with all the thing I have going on it is hard to make that leap. It really depends on where you are at in life or are willing to take the salary hit.

Dwarf Monk

Challenge thread

At 43, I decided I wanted to be a Police Officer for the University I graduated from (Louisiana Tech University). Immediatly prior to that I was working at a retail sporting goods store, and before that for 8 years I was a teacher. Of course my last 3 years of teaching I ended up teaching G-Thugs who were 2-3 yrs behind and didn't care about school except that it was part of their probation. So, don't fret changing jobs. It's no fun working at a place you hate, it'll just kill you inside.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

After spending the last 8 years in crappy admin jobs, I've finally made the change I've always wanting and I'm joining the Navy in less than 2 weeks. If you're not sure if being a personal trainer is what you want to do, I'd say give it a go while not putting all your eggs in one basket. You'll soon figure out if you enjoy it enough to keep going. I know one personal trainer who is building his business, but still has a job doing nightfill at a supermarket to help pay the bills while he's still growing his business.

My one piece of advice for dealing with any period of unemployment is to keep busy and try to keep some sort of routine. The last time I lost my job unexpectedly, the thing that helped keep my spirits up most was making sure I still got up everyday by 8 and going for a jog.

Here's my two cents. I work for proctor and gamble. Very good money very good benefits and all the tide you could want. I have a wife of 11 yrs and a 9 and 6 year old. In the last year I never went to a cub scout meeting I went to very few t ball games and my kids literally see me for one hour a night and sometimes Saturday. P&g work the dog piss out of us. Its a good job but what is money worth when you have no faimly time. My wife and I truly believe money does not = happiness. Seeing my kids grow and being there for them is more important. So I'm leaving that job for something smaller and better. Can we eat out as much no. Will my kids continue to get a lot of stuff no. Can I buy all the newest electronic stuff no. But quality time is what they all crave. Sacrifice is what we will need to do but I'm not in the least bit scared. You need to decide what is important in your life. Where a mans time and energy is so will his heart be there.

Nice to hear from all of you!

I don't know whether I would really enjoy being a personal trainer..let's see.

I finally signed up for this course which is starting next Monday! :)

All this while I've being thinking about my life from the neck up. Now, as I fel life slipping away I'm allowing my heart to speak out its opinion. Let's see....