Anyone else see Jason Ferruggia's latest article?

I agree with what he says regarding workout goals and this specifically:

You should always leave the gym feeling better than when you walked in; not completely wiped out in a pool of your own blood and puke.

I don't really have enough experience to be able to properly evaluate the rest of his article, especially his opinions on doing other things besides straight lifting. Discussion anyone?

Over the years, he has changed from pure lifting to a multisport focus.

Basically, it boils down to working out in the way that truly meets your goals. Bodybuilders need to isolate and hammer their muscles to get the pump. They will lose function but gain form.

Regular people should have a workout that's going to get them healthy, stronger, and more mobile. You don't need to be training for World's Strongest Man when all you need to be ready for is a pickup game of basketball.

I was doing stronglifts for several months and was doing great. Then, I decided I needed to incorporate HIIT on alternate days. So I'd be working my way up through the 300s in the backsquat while doing 50 box jumps on my "off day". I did a 405 1x5 backsquat with no trouble, but then a couple of weeks later developed pateller tendinitis in my knee from the box jumps and it hasn't been right since.

Lesson definitly learned. Now, I do a pretty focused upperbody/bodyweight workout designed to help me meet a goal of doing 10 pullups. I do some nice, non-impact elliptical in the gym and walk on a paved surface at work or in the neighborhood.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I agree with the quote, except for the word "always". There really are times when I think it's good to lay it all out there, and know that you could have pushed yourself no further.

Not every day. Not even every week. But once in a while, it's good for the soul.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell