Question about making oatmeal...

Hey, all. More than a few people have told me about oatmeal so I bought a variety pack and tried to make it (apparently the guy who plays the head wolf in True Blood is a fan).

I tried following the directions of one packet, 2/3rds a cup of water and 75 seconds in the microwave, but it came out with the texture of a bowl of snot (or like that gross stuff the guys on the ship were eating in the Matrix). I couldn't finish it.

The wolf guy apparently eats two packs, so I tried that with a 2/3rds a cup of water and 75 seconds but it's this kind of coagulated goo. I'm not exactly sure what the end result is supposed to look like or taste like. I couldn't finish it either.

Little help?

D

:)

Shoryuken!

I don't really measure it (I have a bag of oatmeal rather than individual serving packets & I just pour water in), but I put in enough water so that if the oatmeal's in a bit of a pyramid from pouring it into the bowl the top is just barely covered, and I microwave for 1 minute. Doing it on the stove takes longer but it'll give you more control over the end product since you can add water if you need too, & if you want to use milk it seems to work better on the stove.

Oatmeal thickens the longer it stands, so if yours is too runny, try leaving it to cool for a few minutes. You might have just used too much water. It's mostly a matter of taste, so you can make it as thick or thin as you like.

All oatmeal has a little bit of that starchy goo in it when cooked, but instant oatmeal (which I'm guessing is the kind you got, since you mentioned packets) is the worst offender, because it is ground up nearly to powder so it will cook fast. You might wanna try rolled or steel cut oats instead. Rolled oats have that sort of paddle shape and they often come in a cylindrical can; steel cut are ground up so they're a more uniform shape (cooks a little faster) but still have some texture to them, and they may come in a can or box. Either is much much cheaper than instant, and free of sugar and crap as well, but you'll need to measure it out and add the flavorings yourself. They also will take a couple extra minutes to cook, but it's worth it.

I used to eat instant oatmeal as a kid, but then I also ate Spaghetti-Os. The taste buds have matured a bit since then ^^

If you have tried real oats and you just don't like them, try polenta/grits/masa harina (cornmeal), congree (rice), or cream of wheat instead. The world is full of hot porridge-like things.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

i definitely agree with raincloak - I don't think the packet ones are very good (the variety packs from quaker etc are chock full of sugar and artificial additives). I make oatmeal at home, using old-fashioned oats, and the directions are great - i get a great bowl every time. i also add a little bit of milk and maple sugar at the end to get it a little creamier/tastier for me.

I know cooking can be a pain, but I really think the extra three minutes makes a huge difference, and it's better for you.

another thing i love is basically corn porridge - made with milk, a bit of maple syrup, and almonds. an absolutely delicious way to start the day!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

I second the above advice about the texture differences between instant and others. Old fashioned (rolled) oats take longer to cook, but have more texture.

Oats are a great carrier for flavors. Protein powder mixes well with oatmeal. Peanut butter is a favorite of many. Applesauce. Fruits. Brown sugar. Lots of potential.

Plus there are a lot of ways to prepare oatmeal. You can do the basic hot porridge, do a cold overnight version, make them into granola bars (or other bar type things), or make cookies (you can make pretty decent low cal/high protein cookies).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

All oatmeal has a little bit of that starchy goo in it when cooked, but instant oatmeal (which I'm guessing is the kind you got, since you mentioned packets) is the worst offender, because it is ground up nearly to powder so it will cook fast. You might wanna try rolled or steel cut oats instead. Rolled oats have that sort of paddle shape and they often come in a cylindrical can; steel cut are ground up so they're a more uniform shape (cooks a little faster) but still have some texture to them, and they may come in a can or box. Either is much much cheaper than instant, and free of sugar and crap as well, but you'll need to measure it out and add the flavorings yourself. They also will take a couple extra minutes to cook, but it's worth it.

I used to eat instant oatmeal as a kid, but then I also ate Spaghetti-Os. The taste buds have matured a bit since then ^^

^This.

Get some real oatmeal and throw some fruit in. And protein powder if you need.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

If you are going the instant route and don't like it being one mass of gooey oats, I highly suggest you heat the water separately and then add to the oatmeal. After a few seconds, poor in a little milk and it will greatly slow the mushification (highly technical term).

As others have suggested, I'd go with straight rolled oats and then flavor them. I'd also suggest steel cut oats instead of rolled oats, as they are much better at holding their own and not turning into paste. They take longer (10-15 minutes), but worth the time.

I use my wife's technique. She taught me and now I like oatmeal (esp. in the winter). We just get the Quaker old fashioned kind. I haven't noticed that they take much longer than the instant version, but they have a more enjoyable texture (read: they have *some* texture :)).

Pour dry oatmeal in bowl (however much you want).

Add water until a few of the oats start floating above the rest.

Microwave on high for 1 minute. Your time may vary...have yet to find two identical microwaves.

Stir. There should still be a little free water. If not, add a little (Only ~1 or 2 tablespoons or you'll end up with soup).

Microwave again for 30s to 1min until water is cooked in.

Stir in extras of your choice. I like brown sugar and a splash of milk for creaminess.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

I LOVE peanut butter in my oatmeal. I was on a trek once where food was VERY limited. They gave us oatmeal one day and I saw a bunch of random things to add to it. I wimped out and only grabbed some brown sugar in mine. One of the leaders saw this, said he was not going to have me stop halway through the day because I was out of energy, and made me put peanut butter and raisans and a bunch of other things in it. Best. Oatmeal. Ever. Could have just been that I was starving, so anything tasted good at that point, but to this day I love to throw a few spoonfulls of peanut butter in.

I currently do oatmeal every day for breakfast. I have a big bowl that is the designated "oatmeal bowl" because it fits in the microwave yet it is big enough that I don't have to worry about it boiling over. I use regular Old Fashioned style oats (Bob's Red Mill brand). I put in 1/2 cup of oats and 1 cup of milk, and nuke it for 4mins 30secs. That's about perfect on my microwave, other models may need longer or shorter cooking times. When it's done, I pull it out and stir it up...it thickens a bit as you stir it and it cools down some. I then add in 2/3cup frozen mixed berries, plain and not thawed....I find stirring in the frozen berries cools the oatmeal off to perfect eating temp, and that rapid cooldown makes it thicken up nice so it's not all gloopy or gluey. I don't add any sweetener or anything else to it. I've been eating this every day for over a month now and I love it! I second the other posters who mentioned the packet oats are not the best....considering that a microwave can cook regular oats almost as fast, I think the packets don't save you much time, and you can't always be sure what's in them. (though, not gonna lie....I have a special affinity for Quaker strawberries and cream instant oats...it was my favorite when I was little, and I don't buy it now, but if someone put it in front of me I'd surely eat it up. :) )

Are these all American brands? I just moved to Toronto so I'll be needing a Canadian brand, or at least one I can get here. Quaker's available pretty much everywhere, right?

I'm from Toronto. You can get almost anything here :P If there's a Loblaws near you, they'll have a health food section where they'll have steel-cut oats etc. Sobey's and other larger grocery stores (probably not Rabba; Rabba sucks) will too. There's also a bunch of health food stores EVERYWHERE where you'll be able to find healthier oats than what Quaker has to offer. :) If you just moved and need tips on where to find things, feel free to PM me :) I live downtown, close to the Rogers Center, so that's the area I know best, obviously.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

For instant oatmeal, I agree that its easier to boil the water separately (tea kettle if you have one) and adding it to your oatmeal to get the consistency you want. I never mastered the microwave.

However, making oatmeal from scratch is much tastier in my opinion. If you have a slow cooker there are some great recipes out there for steel cut oats, just set it up before you go to bed and wake up to the smell of tasty happiness! Otherwise rolled oats (also known as old-fashioned) are great. I find health food stores tend to have rolled oats and steel cut oats much cheaper than standard grocery stores.

My favorite simple recipe with rolled oats, makes 2 servings.

Bring 2 cups hot water to a boil (pinch of salt makes it boil faster)

Add 1 cup rolled oats

Add fruit (one chopped apple, 2 small bananas, couple handfuls of blueberries, whatever you prefer)

Add 1 tablespoon cinnamon

Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup

Add 2 tablespoons flax seed (optional, but extra omega 3's = yay)

Reduce heat slightly and let cook to consistancy you want (it will thicken a little when removed from heat, but less so than instant). Should take about 7 minutes

Overall time including prep, about 10 minutes. And have fun with it, if you think of something you might want to add, add it!

My favorite simple recipe with rolled oats, makes 2 servings.

Bring 2 cups hot water to a boil (pinch of salt makes it boil faster)

Add 1 cup rolled oats

Add fruit (one chopped apple, 2 small bananas, couple handfuls of blueberries, whatever you prefer)

Add 1 tablespoon cinnamon

Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup

Add 2 tablespoons flax seed (optional, but extra omega 3's = yay)

Reduce heat slightly and let cook to consistancy you want (it will thicken a little when removed from heat, but less so than instant). Should take about 7 minutes

Um, yep, that sounds delicious and now I am hungry! I had not thought to try flax in my oatmeal, but that is a great idea to get some extra omega 3s. Do you use the seed whole, or ground into meal?

Um, yep, that sounds delicious and now I am hungry! I had not thought to try flax in my oatmeal, but that is a great idea to get some extra omega 3s. Do you use the seed whole, or ground into meal?

I use whole seeds, but I imagine ground flax seed would work just as well.

I think next time I make it I might also try some protein powder in it based on the suggestions in this thread. Sometimes I add a touch of vanilla almond milk, so the protein powder I have (also vanilla) will likely add the same flavor without adding extra liquid. =)