How to like veggies or at least hate them less

Jenn

WOW I'm totally saving this list!!! There's even stuff there I didn't know you could do! Should try all methods!!

That reminds me that my microwave/oven combo actually has a grill setting?? Should look at the manual :D

You make me very excited! Thanks!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I used to have the exact same veggie list: Potatoes, Carrots & Green Beans. I hated lettuce and spinach and pretty much all other vegetables. But one day I decided I was going to learn to start liking them...so I bought one vegetable I really disliked but was close to a neutral flavor, Celery, and started snacking on small pieces every day. It took about 2 or 3 weeks, but I eventually came to like it. From there, other green vegetables (Lettuce, Spinach, Cucumber) weren't as bad, and it wasn't much effort to start making myself salads. From there I kept experimenting and I've found other veggies I enjoy as well.

There are a lot of veggies I've tried and failed with, unfortunately. I cannot do tomatoes, mushrooms, or onions. I can almost tolerate peppers, although my wife can't so I don't tend to buy them/cook with them. I still need to experiment with the Squash family...thinking of maybe starting with butternut squash.

I've found the more I move away from grains and sugar the easier it is to acclimate to real foods, but it does take time. Getting past the texture is a bigger deal than the flavor for many things though.

I LOVE veggies but let me qualify - I hate canned veggies and I'm not a big fan of frozen veggies. Also, I mostly eat my veg raw or roasted as I feel they have the best taste. I've never been a fan of sauce or butter on veg.

So, what I would do is buy a very small amount of a new veg every week and try it either raw or roasted (find a minimal cooking recipe - e.g. steam, roast, boil). Try it plain first. Most veg are tasty. Then, if you can't do it, try a little salt and olive oil. Next, a little butter.

For me, growing up, limited exposure to veg made me think I didn't like them. I never had raw spinach until I was almost out of high school. Turns out - I love the stuff.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Lots of good advice!! It's harder for me to try new things when the fiancé is on tour. I use him to experiment and try things first (he likes veggies) and he likes to watch me when I try new things (we're creeps, I know). He's home for a week starting Sunday so we'll venture out and gather new goods.

Raw carrots ftw! I love those things!

I'm currently making a food plan and actually putting some new / previously unliked veggies on there. -crosses fingers-

Spoiler

I was going more for the it's delicious and Is usually sold to me from a shady man in a wifebeater. However I do agree on one thing. I ate an entire bag of steamed broccoli once....If you love having cramps in your stomach...and I mean love it....then I'd suggest eating an entire bag of steamed broccoli

I've never eaten asparagus before, but they're on the list for this week. Guess I'll try baking them :)

Spoiler

Just tried stir fried arugula... it was... horrible... the smell alone. Yuk

Just ate the salmon I had with it...

Dinner fail, pretty much.

Spoiler

Dude. I roast whole cloves of garlic with olive oil. You don't peel them, just shove them in. When they're roasted the skin bit just comes clean off, and you just kind of squeeze the garlic out...amazing. Do it immediately!

I've pureed roasted garlic and then simmered in some chicken stock for a super delicious soup!

Try a stalk raw, too! Spread the truth!

Will do!! I'll try them more than 1 way haha :)

Spoiler

[ATTACH]4999[/ATTACH]

Breakfast: bacon wrapped asparagus and poached eggs.

Nom nom nom

The bacon is black... That's way over done! Sorry, I prefer my bacon very chewy, barely even warm.

My parents occasionally do a butterflied steak wrapped around the asparagus and bake it. I'm not sure if there is anything else to it besides that. Turns out pretty good.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Oh man, I LOVE veggies. Sucks to be you! But seriously, like everyone else said, season the shit out of your veggies. I get bored very easily and I find that this helps me stay on track. Garlic veggies? Spicy veggies? Sour veggies?

One of my (Mexican) coworkers cuts up a cucumber, squirts lime juice all over and sprinkles it with Tajin (a brand of seasoning). It's super effectively tasty!

My roommate, who grew up in Germany, makes cucumber salad all the time. It's just cucumbers and seasoning.