favourite 3 books and movies

Books

1. Snowcrash

2. Ender's Game

3. WOT series

Honorable Mention for LOTR series - tough to pick between that and WOT, and WOT probably only wins because I read it again more recently.

Movies (in no particular order)

1. Mary Poppins

2. Shawshank Redemption

3. Pulp Fiction

Hm... Let's see...

Books:

1. 100 Years of Solitude: Gabriel Garcia Marquez

2. Cyrano De Bergerac: Edmund Rondstat (It was a play, does that count?)

3. Faust (both parts): Goethe

Honorable mention: Dark Tower, Wheel of Time, and LOTR Series.

Movies:

1. Clerks II

2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

3. Oldboy

On a side note: Damn, Nerd Fitness! You have some fine taste!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

Books:

The Stand - Stephen King

The Dark Tower Series (technically 7 books, but oh well) - Stephen King

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Movies:

The Holiday

Amilie

All of the Resident Evil movies.

Dark Tower series is one of the next ones on my list. Here is my current list:

Books in no particular order:

Storm of Swords - A Song of Ice and Fire Seires - George R.R. Martin

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman

Gateway - Frederick Pohl

Movies in no particular order:

Top Gun

Snatch

Rock'n'rolla

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

Fiction:

The Count of Monte Cristo

The Dharma Bums

Slapstick

Honorary: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (i'm surprised to see so many others with this on their list, everybody I know in person hates this book in the series)

Non Fiction:

Seneca: Letters From a Stoic

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

American Lion

Movies:

The Big Lebowski

The Royal Tenenbaums

There Will Be Blood

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Human Adventurer

My Bucket List/Epic Quest || Tasty's Reckoning: Becoming Bane

| Str: 6 | Dex: 5.75 | Sta: 5 | Con: 5 | Wis: 10 | Cha: 7 |

Edited to add books:

1) Swan Song - Robert McCammon

2) Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston

3) The Giver - Lois Lowry

Honorable Mention: American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

3 Movies

1.) The Little Mermaid

2.) Fried Green Tomatoes

3.) The Sound of Music

Honorable Mention: A League of Their Own! The Sound of Music only takes a top three spot because it's a musical :)

Letting go is the hardest asana. 

Instagram: WholeBodySwoleHeart

Movies:

1. A River Runs through It
  2. The Fifth Element
  3. Snatch

Books:

1. Tao te Ching
  2. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
  3. It is too hard to choose just one.

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

Edited to add books:

1) Swan Song - Robert McCammon

2) Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston

3) The Giver - Lois Lowry

Honorable Mention: American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

3 Movies

1.) The Little Mermaid

2.) Fried Green Tomatoes

3.) The Sound of Music

Honorable Mention: A League of Their Own! The Sound of Music only takes a top three spot because it's a musical :)

I almost put Fried Green Tomatoes AND The Sound of Music on my list. I just forgot about A League of Their Own, but it belongs up there, too. I suspect we can watch movies together any time. Wait. That sounds creepy.

I'm listing things I'm happy to re-read/re-watch most often rather than anything I think is "best".

Books:

1. All Quiet on the Western Front (Erich Maria Remarque)
  2. The Quiet Violence of Dreams (K Sello Duiker)
  3. This Alien Shore (C S Friedman)

Honourable mention: The Authority: Human on the Inside (John Ridley and Ben Oliver) - I should be embarrassed because it's generic superhero silliness, but I've found myself re-reading this a multiple times a year for 7 years so taste be damned, it's clearly on my list.

Movies:

1. Lawrence of Arabia
  2. Das Boot
  3. The Last Unicorn

Honourable mention: A toss-up between The English Patient, Platoon and the 1994 version of Black Beauty.

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

Dark Tower series is one of the next ones on my list. Here is my current list:

Books in no particular order:

Storm of Swords - A Song of Ice and Fire Seires - George R.R. Martin

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman

Gateway - Frederick Pohl

Movies in no particular order:

Top Gun

Snatch

Rock'n'rolla

I have to amend this with one of the greatest sports movies of all time, about the greatest moment in American sports history. MIRACLE about the 1980 US Olympic hockey team. What a movie. I get chills just thinking about it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

Wow, that settles it A Song of Ice and Fire has been moved up to my next books to read, Its on so many peoples top books list.

Books:

Harry Potter Series (If I have to pick 1: Goblet Of Fire), J.K Rowling

Angels And Demons, Dan Brown

Midnight Mass, F. Paul Wilson

Movies:

V For Vendetta

Batman Begins

Sweeney Todd (This 1 will stop my in my tracks if I walk past a TV with it on)

Onslaught Studios

Fade: Level 1 Gnome Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

My First Challenge - http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16044-A-new-Recruit-My-first-6-week-challenge

Wow, that settles it A Song of Ice and Fire has been moved up to my next books to read, Its on so many peoples top books list.

Might I recommend watching a few episodes of the HBO series first. There are literally 100's of characters, and if you can put a face (and a voice) to it, it becomes much easier to follow. You can also take advantage of the HBO site that shows maps and family trees. Beware of spoilers though. The internet is chalk full of them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Might I recommend watching a few episodes of the HBO series first. .

Actually I am up to date with the HBO series it was amazing and had me so hooked! Thats what got me to initially put it on my list.

It was at the end of the list of 6 books already sitting on my night stand. But its definitely getting the upgrade to right after i finish the last book in the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz.

Onslaught Studios

Fade: Level 1 Gnome Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

My First Challenge - http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16044-A-new-Recruit-My-first-6-week-challenge

books

Unfinished murder by James Neff

Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell (my first two choices scare me to death, but I keep reading them)

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning by Celia Rivenbark (anything she writes is funny)

movies

Boondock Saints

So I married an ax murderer

My big fat greek wedding

I have to amend this with one of the greatest sports movies of all time, about the greatest moment in American sports history. MIRACLE about the 1980 US Olympic hockey team. What a movie. I get chills just thinking about it.

One of the greatest movies ever! just narrowly missed being on my list

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Human Adventurer

My Bucket List/Epic Quest || Tasty's Reckoning: Becoming Bane

| Str: 6 | Dex: 5.75 | Sta: 5 | Con: 5 | Wis: 10 | Cha: 7 |

Actually I am up to date with the HBO series it was amazing and had me so hooked! Thats what got me to initially put it on my list.

It was at the end of the list of 6 books already sitting on my night stand. But its definitely getting the upgrade to right after i finish the last book in the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz.

It's well deserving of the jump. Never though I'd read fantasy (being a Sci Fi guy), but damn is it good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Movies:

V For Vendetta

Batman Begins

Sweeney Todd (This 1 will stop my in my tracks if I walk past a TV with it on)

^This. These are waay up on my list as well, especially V for Vedetta. Chokes me up every time...

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

First post on NF

Films:

Pulp Fiction

Fight Club

Se7en

Books: (this is ALOT harder)

now the first choice is a weird one and not really legal since it's actually 3 trilogies but the main trilogies from Robin Hobb - The Assassins Trilogy - The Liveship Trilogy - The Tawny man Trilogy, I read these every year and always from book 1 to book 9 (the stories are linked but not massively (on the surface) so)

Dune - this got my back into reading as an adult

Harry Potter series (although if I have to pick 1 then it would be Goblet of Fire, how anyone thinks Order of the Pheonix is the best is beyond me)

I am a little reticent (spelling?) to give honoury mentions as the list would be huge (for both)

Books: (this is ALOT harder)

now the first choice is a weird one and not really legal since it's actually 3 trilogies but the main trilogies from Robin Hobb - The Assassins Trilogy - The Liveship Trilogy - The Tawny man Trilogy, I read these every year and always from book 1 to book 9 (the stories are linked but not massively (on the surface) so)

The Liveship Trilogy and the Soldier Son Trilogy are what finally made me stop reading Robin Hobb. Amazing writer but the most terrible things happen to the characters. It made me feel horrible about the world.

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

I love those! Not so much the Tawny Man ones (I liked the first one, but it ended up being too neat and with a little too much of a happy ending for me there which undid a bit of the character development from the Assassin books), but everything else has been fantastic. I think I'm loving current Rain Wilds series most of all, actually.

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

The Liveship Trilogy and the Soldier Son Trilogy are what finally made me stop reading Robin Hobb. Amazing writer but the most terrible things happen to the characters. It made me feel horrible about the world.

I can see your point but it feels more real I think, not a fantasy book where everyone lives and saves the day or wins the battle with all alive (thinking dritz and co here, I love those books too dont get me wrong!

I love those! Not so much the Tawny Man ones (I liked the first one, but it ended up being too neat and with a little too much of a happy ending for me there which undid a bit of the character development from the Assassin books), but everything else has been fantastic. I think I'm loving current Rain Wilds series most of all, actually.

I've just finished the third book in the series and from where it leaves it I can't see how she wont write at least another 2/3 books to follow up!