Fats?

LadyKT

Ok so i'm semi new to Paleo - i'm actually transitioning from Atkins, and have to give up dairy. Anywho, I'm looking for fats I can use to switch out the heavy cream, cheese and butter. I already use a fair amount of olive oil & coconut oil - but what else can I use? is ghee safe? also is there a difference between coconut oil and coconut butter? The coconut oil I have is in a black tub (i think the brand is "Now"). I should also note that i'm not a big nuts person (never really was), but almond butter & almond milk are cool.

Thanks for any help!!:peach:

According the the folks at Whole30 (if I understand correctly), cheese would be a no, or looked at as an occasional treat. Heavy cream is pretty much all fat, has none of the milk proteins that are what is problematic for dairy. Like silverpeacock said, ghee is fine, as would be clarified butter (milk solids removed), which you can make at home from some delicious pastured butter :)

According the the folks at Whole30 (if I understand correctly), cheese would be a no, or looked at as an occasional treat. Heavy cream is pretty much all fat, has none of the milk proteins that are what is problematic for dairy. Like silverpeacock said, ghee is fine, as would be clarified butter (milk solids removed), which you can make at home from some delicious pastured butter :)

Oh I did not know that about heavy cream. I just assumed because it was dairy, it was a no for paleo (and whole 30 - that's what i'm doing next month actually). Thanks for the help girls!

Oh I did not know that about heavy cream. I just assumed because it was dairy, it was a no for paleo (and whole 30 - that's what i'm doing next month actually). Thanks for the help girls!

One caveat, I think there is a difference between using cream as part of an overall paleo/clean diet, as oppossed to using it during your actual strict Whole30 time. Can someone chime in on that count?

All dairy is out for Whole30, including heavy cream. Sorry. Many people use coconut milk as a substitute. If you buy coconut milk, get it from the can, not the carton (which tends to be sweetened), and put the can in the fridge overnight; in the morning, you'll have a nice layer of coconut cream that you can scoop off and put into your coffee, spoon over fresh berries, etc.

Ghee (and clarified butter) is absolutely fine on Whole30, as well as paleo.

One of my favorite snacks is an apple drizzled with almond butter. Nom!