What's everyone reading?

I don't not-read books once I start them, but this one was an exception for me. Clearly you've gotten farther than I did! I'll try again someday...

It was good! It took until about halfway for me to really enjoy it. It's worth it! It's about much more than drunken Yanks and dumb women ;) it's actually quite moving. Pick it up again!

I went straight onto Slaughterhouse-5 by Kurt Vonnegut, finished that pretty quickly. Now reading The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (in English!) Almost halfway through. It's adorable and...meaningful.

• Like 1

I aim to misbehave.

Battle log

Currently munching my way through a peculiar textbook I found at the library titled "The Art of Contemplative Photography," which goes on about photography from a Buddhist perspective.  More interesting than it sounds.

• Like 3

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

A really one sided customer contract.  I don't know what they're smoking, but if they think we're going to sign this as is, they better share.

• Like 3

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

A really one sided customer contract. I don't know what they're smoking, but if they think we're going to sign this as is, they better share.

Must be nice when you actually get to negotiate terms of a contract before signing. In my world it's usually like: "here, sign this and don't ask too many questions." And if I ask "What's this clause for?" the merchant just mumbles "I dunno, I can't change it anyway, just hurry up and sign so we can get on with the transaction. If you don't sign you can't have the software / rent the apartment / buy the shoes / use our facilities / see the doctor / get insurance / give us your money." Sigh.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I'm currently reading: Assassin's Creed: Renaissance by Oliver Bowden, Nevertheless I Live (don't remember who wrote that), Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and of course, my Bible.

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

I'm in between books right now. What do people recommend?

That kind of depends on what you like. I read a lot of teen fiction because I find it more interesting than adult fiction. I read non-fiction books as well.

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Soli Deo Gloria

I'm up for anything! I had stopped reading fiction for a few years but recently picked it up again. There is not much I won't read. What is your most favorite book?

By the way, I can give you a whole list of books to read if you want. If you're interested, just message me. :)

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Soli Deo Gloria

I'm in between books right now. What do people recommend?

Maybe you could hit the local library, and specifically seeks books you wouldn't normally read?

Autobiographies, poems, comics, history..  Audiobooks, non-fiction about topics you don't know anything.

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

I'm up for anything! I had stopped reading fiction for a few years but recently picked it up again. There is not much I won't read. What is your most favorite book?

A seriously interesting book is Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder, who is generally an interesting author.

If you haven't read any Naguib Mahfouz, check him out, especially the Palace Walk Trilogy.

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Just finished: "Sick Puppy" by Carl Hiaasen and "The World of The End" by Ofir Touche Gafla (had some good bits, but overall it was a real mess.)

Starting: "Dark Carnival" by Ray Bradbury.  It's his very first short story collection, way back when he was writing more horror than SF.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

I'm reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Really enjoying it so far, it's sweet.

That's a beautiful book, my husband is reading it to my daughter right now.

I'm listening to The Ocean at the End of the Lane and really enjoying it. Over the course of the winter break, I've read Welcome to Night Vale, The Bloggesses' Furiously Happy and now I'm moving on to a bunch of Lemony Snicket books.

I've finished listening to A Tale of Two Cities (which was horrid) and The Notorious RBG, which was inspiring.

I feel I've accomplished a lot in the last few weeks

• Like 1

I'm obsessive enough to actually log the books I read through the year. In December, 2015, I read...

FICTION

Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock*

Fortress of the Pearl by Michael Moorcock

The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander **

The Black Cauldron  by Lloyd Alexander **

NONFICTION

Kill the Body, the Head Will Fall: A Closer Look at Women, Violence, and Aggression by Rene Denfield 

The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic by Chalmers Johnson

Rastafari: A Very Short Introduction by Ennis B. Edmonds

(* reread)
(** not sure how I made it all these years without reading The Chronicles of Prydain)

—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.

Currently reading the first book of the Fionavar Tapestry series by Guy Gavriel Kay. I challenged myself to read 75 books this year on Goodreads, so I gotta get started!  I'll be lurking in this thread for ideas and recommendations :D

• Like 3

STORMEE

Level 5 Fey Touched Half-Elven Druid

“What doesn't kill me, gives me EXP."

Just finished The Professor in the Cage, which is half a memoir about a frustrated academic who tries to get himself into shape and fired from his dead-end adjunct job by becoming an MMA fighter, and half an exploration of why people like combat sports.  The memoir part I liked a lot, but I thought the history/sociology parts weren't that well done.  Still, it was an easy and overall enjoyable read.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

Reading The Familiar Vol. 1: A Rainy Day in May by Mark Danielewski. I loved his House of Leaves

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man