What's everyone reading?

Reading two books at the moment:

"Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett, which I'm reading for the 5th or 6th time and really is one of my "feel good books"

and

"Lemmy - White Line Fever" which I also already have read in the past but because of his death is on top of my book list once again.

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

I'm on a classics kick these days: reading books by a lot of those authors of the lost generation: Fitzgerald, Hemingway, etc. I got inspired by a local improv group that have done a series of shows with characters of the artists, writers and thinkers that gathered in Paris in the 1920s, after WWI. The more I read about them the more fascinating the story becomes. So with that preamble, I recently finished the Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald and am currently reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. It's ironic that I am so much more fascinated by the stories between these two authors than their actual books, but I am also enjoying the insights within those books. Onward!

• Like 2

Level: 3 Race: Human-Wood Elf Hybrid Class: Rebel

[STR - 1] [DEX - 1] [STA - 8] [CON - 7] [WIS - 13] [CHA - 3]

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Currently reading A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab. I'm liking it a lot.  I have soooo many books on my to-read list.  Over 200 on Goodreads (Do we have a Goodreads group?)

The book I can't wait to read, though, is the next Stormlight Archives book by Brandon Sanderson.  I know he made a lot of progress during NaNo and I *think* he said to expect it later this year or early 2017, but I am just so looking forward to it.  That is, by far, my favorite series.

• Like 1

Level 2 Druid Elf (I'm more of a Hobbit, but I dream of being an Elf)

Goodreads

So much Neil Gaiman going on in this thread! I just started Gaiman's Neverwhere.

I visited London for the first time last March, which really helps my mind bring the setting to life.

That's a beautiful book, my husband is reading it to my daughter right now.

I'm listening to The Ocean at the End of the Lane and really enjoying it. Over the course of the winter break, I've read Welcome to Night Vale, The Bloggesses' Furiously Happy and now I'm moving on to a bunch of Lemony Snicket books.

I've finished listening to A Tale of Two Cities (which was horrid) and The Notorious RBG, which was inspiring.

I feel I've accomplished a lot in the last few weeks

I'm reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Really enjoying it so far, it's sweet.

Gaiman is so talented.  Those who like him might also try "American Gods" and "Good Omens".

Amazon || Assassin

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started." - Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Two things currently:  The Martian (yes, the one that the movie is based on) by Andy Weir; Evolving Ourselves by Juan Enriquez and Steve Gullans

Absolutely loved The Martian. Both the book and the film. 

• Like 1

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

Currently reading A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab. I'm liking it a lot.  I have soooo many books on my to-read list.  Over 200 on Goodreads (Do we have a Goodreads group?)

The book I can't wait to read, though, is the next Stormlight Archives book by Brandon Sanderson.  I know he made a lot of progress during NaNo and I *think* he said to expect it later this year or early 2017, but I am just so looking forward to it.  That is, by far, my favorite series.

I very much enjoyed 'A Darker Shade of Magic'. Very interesting setting and characters. The sequel, 'A Gathering of Shadows', comes out in February.

—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.

I'm on a classics kick these days: reading books by a lot of those authors of the lost generation: Fitzgerald, Hemingway, etc. I got inspired by a local improv group that have done a series of shows with characters of the artists, writers and thinkers that gathered in Paris in the 1920s, after WWI. The more I read about them the more fascinating the story becomes. So with that preamble, I recently finished the Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald and am currently reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. It's ironic that I am so much more fascinated by the stories between these two authors than their actual books, but I am also enjoying the insights within those books. Onward!

Whoo hoo! I did this about six months ago. How are you going with The Sun Also Rises?

I aim to misbehave.

Battle log

Lots of mentions of Gaiman above - Stardust is going to be my next. I actually saw him speak back in November. Super rad.

Currently on Cider House Rules (Irving)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Anyone else read more than one book at a time; or am I the only one?

I can't do more than one fiction, though I'll do a fiction and a non fiction.

• Like 1
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Here, here! :D

I normally read at least 2-3 books at the same time (1 fiction "funny", 1 non-fiction and 1"new")

So I can choose depending on what mood I'm in (when I'm grumpy I normally need a "discworld-book" :D)

At the moment I'm reading.

Tina Fey - Bossypants (I put that under funny non-fiction)

Stefan Aust - "Der Baader-Meinhof-Komplex" ( a book about the history of the "Red Army Faction" who were a leftist militant group in Germany)

Terry Pratchett - Thief of Time

:)

• Like 1

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

current list

American gods

Level up your life

The guns of August

The Godling chronicles audio book for commuting

and one more that I'm drawing a blank on.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Yes - I'm currently doing:

1. An audiobook (Wild by Cheryl Strayed)

2. A physical book (The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin)

3. An ebook (Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch)

At any point, #2 or #3 may share its spot with another book due to a change in mood, or #2 because I misplaced it/left it at work etc.

• Like 1

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Just finished The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I don't know why I haven't read this before.  I read it in 2 days and I'm starting The Restaurant at the End of the Universe tonight.  I had to send my 3 last Nana's (manga) back to the library because someone had them on hold and I didn't want to keep them waiting.

I'm waiting for the person who has Red Queen right now to return it so I can read it again and fall in love all over again.

I also have Gillian Anderson's first book and I Saw A Man on my to read shelf.

Minalo Stoutarm

My Rebel Intro

Base Character: Deep Halfling

Desired Class: Druid

Level: 0 I STR 0 I DEX 0 I STA 0 I CON 0 I WIS 0 I CHA 0 I

My Battle Log

Challenges: 1  

Weight Loss

206--->145 (At 197 as of 1/28/2016)

13.5%
13.5%

finally finished cider house rules (took me forever, unsure why - I really enjoyed it) and started stardust by gaiman. 

• Like 1

Done with stardust - what next what next??

fiction vs nonfiction? Series or solo?

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

fiction, solo. got plenty of nonfiction on my list :)

fair enough

Loved "How to Live Safely in a Science Fiction Universe" by Charles Yu

The "Wool" Omnibus by Hugh Howey is outstanding

Anything by Robert E Howard (considered ome of the father's of Sword and Sorcery) particularly enjoyed Solomon Kane which is a 16 or so short stories.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback