What's everyone reading?

I just finished a fun little mystery: "Chinese Cooking for Diamond Thieves" by Dave Lowry.  It's about a lily-white college dropout who, on a whim, gives a lift to a stranded girl in a Vermont rest stop during a snowstorm.  Things get weird after that.  It turns out that said dropout is a kickass traditional Chinese chef who speaks passable Mandarin and is pretty good at xingyi. The stranded girl has connections to a Triad money laundering operation. There are hijinks, escapades, a couple of fight scenes, and a lot of descriptions of Chinese cooking.  Lots of snappy dialogue, some romantic tension between the two main characters, and some good linguistic jokes.

Note: I sorta know Dave Lowry.  We trained under the same karate sensei for a while, many years ago.  He's also a restaurant critic and non-fiction author, mostly about traditional Japanese martial arts. He's been writing "The Karate Way" column in Black Belt Magazine since 1986.  So I was sort of predisposed to like the book anyway.  Even if I didn't know Dave Lowry, I'd still recommend this.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

California by Edan Lepucki.  Really good so far, but I'm a fan of post apocalyptic literature, especially with a corporate inequality and environmental destruction flavor.

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Books read, March 2016.

FICTION

• The Bards of Bone Plain by Patricia McKillip
  • Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins by Emma Donoghue

NONFICTION

• When Buddhists Attack: The Curious Relationship Between Zen and the Martial Arts by Jeffrey K. Mann
  • Hoodwinked: An Economic Hit Man Reveals Why the World Financial Markets Imploded--and What We Need to Do to Remake Them by John Perkins
  • Superpatriotism by Michael Parenti
  • Crime Signals: How to Spot a Criminal Before You Become a Victim by David Givens

GRAPHIC NOVELS

• Saga, Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
  • Saga, Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
  • Saga, Vol. 4 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.

27 minutes ago, Le Samourai said:
  • Saga, Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
  • Saga, Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
  • Saga, Vol. 4 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Oh man, Saga is incredible. It is a beautiful work of art (but I´ll confess I was a bit weirded out when I started reading it)

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

As part of my April challenge to read 30 minutes every night before bed, I'll be starting tonight with "Vortex" in the Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi line... this one by Troy Denning.  I've read the first five and enjoyed them.  Bought this one but never actually started it... and it's been sitting on the shelf for about a year now, I think.  Time to pick it back up!

April Challenge::Introduction

Level 7 Ranger (28/500)::Epic Quest Character (under construction)

Topherdrew

Sam Wilson: "When do we start?"... Steve Rogers: "We just did." -- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"

I am reading The Little Prince so I can help my 7th Grader with is English homework.  I am loving it.  The Little Prince reminds me of the Prince in Katamari Damacy.  I just finished The Book Thief,  which left me a weeping puddle on the couch.  I am now reading Landline by Rainbow Rowell and it will also make me sad.  I should really read a happy or funny book next.

At the moment, I'm reading Unfettered, which is a collection of fantasy short stories. I just finished the novella "The Sound of Broken Absolutes" in that collection, and I definitely want to check out more by the same author. (It was a magic system based around music, and it was really well-developed.)

I'm also slowly reading On the Origin of Species. It just seems like something to have read, you know?

As part of my April challenge to read 30 minutes every night before bed,

@topherdrew - That sounds like a great goal! Has it helped you sleep quality at all?

I am reading The Little Prince so I can help my 7th Grader with is English homework.  I am loving it.  

@Prarieknitwit - The Little Prince is awesome! It's one of my favorite books of all time.

Currently re-reading an old favourite: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.

@Xenophon - What exactly is The Name of the Rose about?

• Like 1

Druid | My Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

"When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl anymore, you find someone to carry you."

@topherdrew - That sounds like a great goal! Has it helped you sleep quality at all?

Biggest factor for sleep quality is *when* I start reading.  If before midnight, then absolutely.  But reading is not enough, I need to train my body to say.... "ok we're going to sleep at midnight, so you need to start reading before that."  That's a process I'm still working with. ;)

• Like 1

April Challenge::Introduction

Level 7 Ranger (28/500)::Epic Quest Character (under construction)

Topherdrew

Sam Wilson: "When do we start?"... Steve Rogers: "We just did." -- "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"

I'm working on two books, Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, and a compendium of Archie comics.  I suppose which I reach for all depends on my mood when I go to bed...

Current Big Fat Hairy Goals:  Hip to Waist Ratio down to 88%.  Capable of 50 pushups, 100 situps, 20 pull-ups in one massive superset.  Able to do a bodyweight bench press.  Run 10K 1/week for 1 month.  Earn 2nd Degree Black Belt.

Why?  Because I want to model the kind of health and strength that I want my girls to have when they grow up.

Introduction / Battle Log / Current Challenge

Previous Challenges:  1

@Xenophon - What exactly is The Name of the Rose about?

What is it not about... on the surface, a murder mystery set in an Italian monastery in the 14th century. Various important people are gathering to prepare a theological disputation which will have significance for the political struggle between the current Pope and the Holy Roman Emperor; meanwhile, monks begin dying in mysterious ways that are highly reminiscent of the opening of the seven seals of the Apocalypse. Things get worse from there. Below the surface there are depths and depths. Faith vs. knowledge and both of those vs. its own nature, tolerance vs. intolerance, text vs. metatext, what have you. The author, Umberto Eco, was an important academic in the field of semiotics; this is one of those books where you become (or at least feel) smarter just by reading each page.

• Like 1

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. The writing is strangely immersive, it grabs you.

The people are familiar but the setting alien.. Except, that not right either?

Hell if I know how, but loving it :D If you come across 451, at least give it a chance.

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

Just finished "The Broken Empire" trilogy by Mark Lawrence. It is dark, vengeful and has some fantastic moments. Seriously, though, really really dark. Open at your own peril. Starting "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall be recommendation of a friend. For non-fiction it is amazing! Characters are awesome, stories are hilarious, and it makes me want to strap on my Vibrams and go running every morning to train for an ultra-marathon (one day)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Zahirah said:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson (fantasy fiction)
Daring Greatly, Brene Brown (non-fiction, self improvement)

Wonder Woman, Vol. 2, DC Comics (comics)

All fucking amazing.

YES!

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

When Breath Becomes Air, Paul Kalathini

Magnificent writing, an incredible contrast to the basic-English of most internet content. Warning: I totally bawled at the end. Recommend wholeheartedly.

The Girl in the Spider's Web, David Lagercrantz

Continuation of the Girl in the blah blah blah series, with a new author. It's meh.

I'm reading Daring Greatly now too! Really really interesting and self-challenging.

On 4/13/2016 at 11:58 AM, topherdrew said:

Biggest factor for sleep quality is *when* I start reading.  If before midnight, then absolutely.  But reading is not enough, I need to train my body to say.... "ok we're going to sleep at midnight, so you need to start reading before that."  That's a process I'm still working with. ;)

I find that non-fiction before bed is way safer than fiction...less likely to get sucked into staying up late because MUST FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

Will come back here for more ideas but my to-read list grows way too fast as it is...

• Like 1

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

33 minutes ago, Hiroro said:

I find that non-fiction before bed is way safer than fiction...less likely to get sucked into staying up late because MUST FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

Talk for yourself. Sometimes I feel ike I could lose myself reading the back of the cereal box...

15 minutes ago, Hiroro said:

That's what you get for buying the cereal with puzzles on the back ;)

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be cool if they published short stories on the back of cereal boxes?

20 minutes ago, erosan said:

Wouldn't it be cool if they published short stories on the back of cereal boxes?

YES.

In the interest of staying on topic...

I also read 4HWW and it was ok. It was interesting as it pertains to FIRE, but I prefer a more ERE/MMM approach and it seemed like a couple of his techniques were unethical by my conscience. I would re-read if I have an idea for a product/business, but as a small cog in an organization (engineer) I'm not planning to leave until at least partially FI based on investments.

Witches Abroad, Terry Pratchett - not my favorite, but still fun. The Discworld books literally make me LOL, which is amazing.

The Magicians, Lev Grossman - I'm partway through The Magician King as well. Pretty dark, but I found it interesting if only for the references to C.S. Lewis

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

I just had my intro to the discworld with The colour of magic. I agree... its funny. Very Xanth like...

Also finished Surely you must be joking mr Feynman!   great book.

Right now I'm reading Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Its ok so far (I just started chaper 4, though)

45 minutes ago, erosan said:

Like.. totally! As long as it's readable, and not

Jimmy the Cereal: Adventures in Advertisement Land.

Would make for a parody,

but I guess they wouldn't be doing that.

• Like 1