What's everyone reading?

How did you like War and Peace? That is one of my favorite book, even though I don't remember the exact story just the impression and feelings I had while/after reading it. 

The story was quite good. But I did not like Tolstoy's professorial monologues. Aside from breaking up the flow of the story, they did not resonate with me. It seemed like he was not a believer in free will, which I disagree with. But I did quite like the narrative.

Now reading Japanese Culture, 4th ed., by Paul Varley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

On 2016. 07. 17. at 10:38 AM, mightstone2k said:

The story was quite good. But I did not like Tolstoy's professorial monologues. Aside from breaking up the flow of the story, they did not resonate with me. It seemed like he was not a believer in free will, which I disagree with. But I did quite like the narrative.

Now reading Japanese Culture, 4th ed., by Paul Varley.

Thanks for your answer. Hm, interesting... I never had the same impression about the monologues, I might need to read it again. I actually like rereading my favorite books from time to time, because they feel different depending on my actual circumstances.
I am currently in the middle of Lord of the Rings. I felt a bit ashamed to be the part of this community and only had seen the movies. :)

For what it’s worth: It’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over. – F. Scott Fitzgerald

Current challenge, Previous challenges: 32, 1

I'm currently reading The Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson (Book 9 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen), just finished Maestro by R.A Salvatore (Companions of the hall/Drizzt book) and I'm also reading Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence and Centyr Dominance by Michael G Manning. I tend to read a lot of books at once because I just can't make up my mind.

Jay, Half Orc Rebel

Chaotic Neutral

"Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will dilineate and define you" -Thomas Jefferson
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas Edison

Thanks for your answer. Hm, interesting... I never had the same impression about the monologues, I might need to read it again. I actually like rereading my favorite books from time to time, because they feel different depending on my actual circumstances.

I am currently in the middle of Lord of the Rings. I felt a bit ashamed to be the part of this community and only had seen the movies. [emoji4]

Totally agree with you on the rereads. I'm going to start alternating in the Wheel of Time series along with other books so I can reread that series from start to finish.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

"The Liar" - Stephen Fry, "Watchmen" - Alan Moore, & "LUYL" -That One Steve Guy. 

I'm bad at reading a book at a time, I need variety. Lol. 

In case you were wondering it's pronounced rye-dough, but most call me Rai (like the whiskey) for short.

My current challenge can be found HERE

<<Insert witty, motivational statement here>>

Currently reading the Hagakure by Yamamoto Tsunetomo, right off the back of Nitobe's Bushido

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

On 08/08/2016 at 0:00 PM, Kvedulf said:

Currently reading the Hagakure by Yamamoto Tsunetomo, right off the back of Nitobe's Bushido

How are you finding the Hagakure? I have been meaning to read it for about 20 years.

Currently re-reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. The original cyberpunk novel. Highly recommended, it's one of my all-time favourites.

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

8 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

How are you finding the Hagakure? I have been meaning to read it for about 20 years

I'm really enjoying it. I'm still only a little way into it, so I can't really do a review of it. But the general feeling I get is that Tsunetomo was the samurai equivalent of that grumpy old uncle at a party who has slightly outdated views on everything; routinely says "back in my day" and complains a lot but at the same time has crazy life experience and lots of valuable and useful advice on just about everything if you're willing to listen. Part of my goals is to adopt Bushido and it's in that light that I'm reading it. That said, there are some just plain awesome moments, like when he basically calls the 47 ronin a bunch of idiots :P

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

9 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

Part of my goals is to adopt Bushido and it's in that light that I'm reading it.

I'm aware this is a pretty low-brow response but have you read Shogun, by James Clavell? Amazing, epic historical novel based on the true story of the first Englishman to reach Japan. There's a huge amount of very well-researched stuff in there about how Bushido was actually applied in everyday life.

• Like 1

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

@Myrdinn I've heard of the book and heard how good it is. Also heard mostly really good stuff about the television series as well. Hadn't really thought about reading it to be honest but I'll definitely look into it. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to read it yet and living in rural Australia makes it a little difficult at times to find books on the cheap. 

Also, there is nothing really lowbrow about your suggestion imo. I personally think that one of the best ways to know what a particular culture/philosophy is about is to read the fiction it inspires. It might be removed from reality but it captures the ideals of the philosophy better. It represents the ideals better. Just my 2c

-Miyamoto Musashi

I just downloaded an audio version of The Girl on the Train. I also just downloaded an ebook for Level Up Your Life. Looking forward to starting both.

UPDATE: Liked Level Up Your Life so much that I bought it. Girl on the Train was about what I expected. Gripping, but average. Just a good read, not something I would read again.

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On 11/17/2016 at 11:37 AM, Wolfen said:

I just downloaded an audio version of The Girl on the Train. I also just downloaded an ebook for Level Up Your Life. Looking forward to staring both.

Finished GOTT. Not bad, but kind of a bummer. Pretty sure I won't be reading it again. Level Up Your Life is awesome! Also checked out Deep by James Nestor. Link below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/books/review/james-nestors-deep.html

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Reading book 2 of The Expanse,  calibans war. Read book one, and just started watching the series, and I really dig this near future Sci Fi take. 

Until Next time, Have a Blast! 

Current Challenge Born of the Ashes of Failure

My alter ego, Gaelic Samurai. Level 6 Ranger
Gym /XXX / XXX / XXX / XX_ / Stretching / XXXX _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / Blog Post /XX _ / X _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _/ No alcohol / XXXXXXX / XXXXXXX / XXXXXXX / XXXXXX _ /

Social Accounts : BodySpace Instagram YouTube

I just finished the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and right now I'm reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking and Ready Player One.

• Like 1

Jay, Half Orc Rebel

Chaotic Neutral

"Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will dilineate and define you" -Thomas Jefferson
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas Edison