What's everyone reading?

Just started Bridge of Spies. So far, it's great!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Lately I'm reading Relentless by Tim Grover, The Road to Character by David Brooks, and The Social Skills Guidebook by Chris MacLeod. I have a small addiction to self-help and self-improvement type books! When I finish one of these I want to start An Untamed State by Roxane Gay for my next fiction book, though...

Hope | Level 0 [135xp] | Druidess

Epic Quest Log | Daily Battle Log

Current Challenge: Hope ventures inward

Goodreads | MFP | FitBit

Will begin Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare. Because this aligned with the beginning of a challenge, it's this month's theme. Haha. :o)

2018 ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap.

2016 Journey: June | July failed | August failed | October respawn/failed

2017 Adventure: January respawn | February | March | April/May | June | July | Horizon 2017 Dawn year recap
Quest: January respawn | February | May

What do we say to the god of procrastination? "Not today."

Currently reading Goethe, Thiek, Fouque and Brento: Romantic Fairy Tales by Penguin Classics. I am almost done with it, and I must say, German Romantics did not write your run of the mill fairy tales, but they are pretty interesting and a good read.

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

7 hours ago, Garris said:

Just finished 10% happier by Dan Harris which has led to a fledgling meditation practice

But is it any good? I've heard mixed reviews. I'm reading Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin because it came highly recommended by more than one friend (both online and irl), and I'm muscling my way through Stephen King's The Stand.

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

1 hour ago, Wolfen said:

But is it any good? I've heard mixed reviews. I'm reading Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin because it came highly recommended by more than one friend (both online and irl), and I'm muscling my way through Stephen King's The Stand.

I quite enjoyed it and a lot of what Dan wrote really spoke to me, especially with my own struggles with anxiety.

• Like 1
On 5/28/2017 at 9:37 AM, Garris said:

Just finished 10% happier by Dan Harris which has led to a fledgling meditation practice

Loved that book. I identified with Dan a lot, especially when he would occasionally stop and go "this is stupid, what am I even doing here?" Made me laugh and reframed a lot of my meditation struggles to help me get over them. 

"Eat, pray, love".. just to see what all the fuss is about and I got it for a buck in a charity shop in Galway... so far.. it's nice enough. Smooth read with travelling and a light spirituality thing, mixed with 1st world drama/concerns and served in an easy going style. Bit like sex in the city for those with a half a brain, I guess. (..yeah, so of course I'm struggling thorugh it   ;o) ..)

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

An Ordinary Man - Paul Rusesabagina

Mr. Rusesabagina is a survivor of the Rwandan genocide and managed to shelter about 1200 refugees in a luxury hotel for 76 days. The level of brutality during the Rwandan genocide is hard to comprehend, but the author manages to put a human face on it, which just makes it all the more horrifying. Read it during the daylight and then go hug your family.

• Thanks 1

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Fun read :  "Sharpe's Trafalgar" By Bernard Cornwell

Research read "If walls could talk; an intimate history of the home" by Lucy Worsley

Edifying read: "Father Seraphim Rose : His Life and Works" by Hieromonk Damascene

Cause, y'know, one book at a time is for sissies . . .

Blog: https://seekingcassandra.blogspot.com/

Current Challenge:  SeekingCassandra is planning a comeback

Previous Challenge:

"One day, they may write about me as a traitor, a madwoman, a fool. And they may be right."

On 7/12/2017 at 10:55 PM, SeekingCassandra said:

Cause, y'know, one book at a time is for sissies . . .

What is this non-sense? Doesn't everyone have three or four books going simultaneously? :)

• Like 2

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Churchill: Wanted Dead or Alive by Celia Sandys. It's an account of Churchill's time as a journalist & POW during the Boer Wars.

I'm currently reading Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith. If you know anything about Mormonism, it's a fascinating read. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

On 7/26/2017 at 2:17 AM, jettafreak4 said:

Ah ha ha ha. I thought I was the only one who read at least 3 books at a time.

Nope. I'm still working my way through Ferenbach's tome on Texas, the Churchill book I mentioned earlier, and now a book on the factor leading up to the Communist Revolution in Russia. I also have a handful that I started and can only work through about a chapter at time every week or so.