What's everyone reading?

Just finished The Cossacks: The History and Legacy of the Legendary Slavic Warriors by Dr. Jesse Harasta and Charles River Editors. Getting started on Leo Tolstoy's The Cossacks. Yeah, can you sense a theme? When I find a new historical period to obsess over, I tend to read nothing else but about it for a while . . . 

• Like 1

Blog: https://seekingcassandra.blogspot.com/

Current Challenge:  SeekingCassandra is planning a comeback

Previous Challenge:

"One day, they may write about me as a traitor, a madwoman, a fool. And they may be right."

Just started with the A Song of Ice and Fire series and yes, I love it. I think that having watched 7 seasons of the show, that reading it now is great as it's basically a catch up of the last 7 years (with storylines that diverge and completely different to the TV show so I get extra stories). 

My biggest surprise is how engaging the writing is. Despite knowing everything that is going to happen, I keep finding myself wanting to read more. I feel like this is the first book I've read where each chapter is from the viewpoint of a different character and it is such an interesting writing style.

60% of the way through Book 1 and will be heading straight into book 2 after that.

Concurrently reading Marvel Comics through their Marvel Unlimited app. Reading from 2015 to the current comics available. 

I usually keep two books going at any one time: one audiobook and one physical. I actually just recently finished Level Up Your Life by Steve Kamb and am looking for another physical book to read (Thinking a fantasy novel if there are any suggestions!) and I'm starting The 4 Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss tomorrow on my commute to work. 

I just finished a Ludlam thriller - I read a lot of them because I like the low detail high action type of writing  and now going to read my first Neal Gaiman book - not a lot of fiction books here where I am, but I have a stash I got while on a trip. I don't do audio books. I like reading either on my phone on a physical copy. I haven't found non-fiction book I actually like though.

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

Finally finished Ferenbach's Lone Star and Celia Sandys' Churchill: Wanted Dead or Alive. Now I'm reading A Square Meal: A Culinary History of the Great Depression by Ziegleman and Coe.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Finished A Square Meal by Ziegleman & Coe, and The Meaning of Everything: The Making of the Oxford English Dictionary and Krakatoa: The Day The World Exploded, both by Simon Winchester. (If you've never read anything by Winchester, the best I can say is that the man is like a wiki-walk in literary form.) Currently reading The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I'm almost finished with Crazy is My Superpower by A. J. Mendez Brooks. I absolutely am loving this book. I have no idea how that happened, since I am not particularly a pro-wresting fan and I don't generally care much for celebrity memoirs. But this book is awesome - simultaneously hilarious and a raw, honest look at mental illness, poverty, abuse, and what kinds of miracles are possible if we get brave enough to show a middle finger to societal expectations. Five stars, and I recommend it to everyone. I listened to the audiobook, borrowed from the library, and I am already planning to buy the physical book to keep in my personal collection. 

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

Currently reading Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative (Vol 1) and Toby Lester's The Fourth Part of the World.

Lets see:
The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (reading currently)
The Silmarillian by J.R.R. Tolkien (didn't get too far with this one yet)

I just purchased A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson.  As soon as I'm done with Son of Neptune I'm heading back to the Westlands and Two Rivers!!!
I love Brandon Sanderson, have you gotten into Mistborn?

Sent from my Z815 using Tapatalk

Live this life and enjoy it.

Speaking of Teddy Roosevelt, the quote in your sig is FANTASTIC! [emoji4]

I've got several things going right now:
  • The Primal Blueprint (Mark Sisson)
  • Marvel Comics: The Untold Story (Sean Howe)
  • The American Way of Eating (Tracie McMillan)
  • And I guess I'll re-read American Gods for the Book Club book. [emoji4]

Have you looked at "Primal Kitchen Cookbook"? His intro is pretty compelling but I'm having a difficult time believing one way or another about our dietary evolution. Either way he's got some pretty good recipes in there.

Live this life and enjoy it.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:23 PM, kittykitty93 said:

I love Brandon Sanderson, have you gotten into Mistborn?

I just went on here to see if anyone is doing a mistborn challenge as I am racing through the first book. Ahhhh!!!!! I am so glad that I have found this series. I think I am going to stay up tonight to finish it! Sleep be darned! 

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

Currently:

Thrown by Timothy Zahn

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

The Force Awakens by Alan Dean Foster

I'm on a bit of a Star Wars kick.  I could never keep up with the pre-Disney novels (still pick the odd one up now and again) so making an effort with the new range.