What's everyone reading?

1 hour ago, Oh Beep said:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

While I have rather...mixed feelings on this show, this is such a fun book.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I just read Educated, by Tara Westover. I'm not usually into memoirs, but I highly recommend it. 

https://tarawestover.com/book/

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I just finished The Midnight Plan of the Repo Man and its sequel, Repo Madness. Impossible to categorize (crime drama? buddy comedy? ghost story? small-town character study? hilariously all-of-the-above) but really great fun and highly recommended.

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

Oooooh, ideas. :D I'm 63 books into my 100 book goal for 2018, and am really starting to run out of stuff I want to read. Currently flipping through 'Thinking Fast and Slow' again, finally started 'Brave New World' after it was recced to me LAST YEAR, will likely finish 'Foolproof, and Other Mathematical Meditations' this evening, and listening to 'The Great Gatsby' as an audiobook because I've tried to start it on five separate occasions and just can't seem to get into it when I'm reading.

I love that there are nerds to talk about reading and health in the same space. :)

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

On 3/6/2018 at 6:23 PM, kittykitty93 said:

I love Brandon Sanderson, have you gotten into Mistborn?

Sent from my Z815 using Tapatalk

Not yet but I did just read The Rithmatist and The Way of Kings.  LOVED Both of them.  

"Do what I do.  Hold tight and pretend it's a plan." -The Doctor

Nothing is impossible.  The word itself says I'm Possible.

In addition to the on-going fight that is Shelby Foote's The Civil War, I just finished Born To Run by Christopher McDougall and just started Neal Bascomb's The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It about the efforts of Roger Bannister et al to break the four-minute mile.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Grabbed a copy of Edward St. Aubyn's Patrick Melrose novels after watching the miniseries on Sky/Showtime.

Some parts are hard to read (because of the subject matter) but the writing is beautiful, so descriptive, and doesn't take itself too seriously (of the twisted ironic sense of humor variety)

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

I'm currently in between books, but I just finished Inca Gold by Clive Cussler, which I highly recommend to anyone who wants a little ocean science mixed in with James Bond-like adventure. Dirk Pitt is my favorite book character by far.

I'm heading out on vacation soon, and I'll probably start in with some of the First North Americans series books by Kathleen and Michael Gear. I particularly like 'People of the Owl' and 'People of the Wolf'. All of the books in the series focus on the Native American cultures of North America. Very good reading. 

• Like 1

~ The Tides Rise And Fall ~

Battle Log of the Tides

I had to put down The Perfect Mile; something about the writing style just clashes with me. I'll pick it up again later. Just finished Greg Olson's Aikido: A Beginner Text and finally getting around to reading Rippetoe's Starting Strength, 3rd Ed. It's nice having a local library again.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Raksha said:

I'm currently in between books, but I just finished Inca Gold by Clive Cussler, which I highly recommend to anyone who wants a little ocean science mixed in with James Bond-like adventure. Dirk Pitt is my favorite book character by far.

I just added Pacific Vortex to my TBR - thanks!

I am about a third of the way through an audiobook listen of The Bar Harbor Retirement Home for Famous Writers (And Their Muses) and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I don't do contemporary literary fiction very often, but this one is wonderful.

I have What You Want to See from the library, this one has been a tough start for me. I'm about a quarter of the way in and still not too invested, but I'm going to give Lepionka a few more chapters to hook me on the strength of the first book in the series (The Last Place You Look).

And I finally got around to the second half of the Earthsea Cycle, just started The Other Wind.

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

I am really getting into "Norse Mythology" by Neil Gaiman right now.  I use Audible to experience books on my commute to and from work and I am really loving it.  I have been able to experience many, many more books on Audible than I would ever have time to read with my current schedule at work and home.  

Still working my way through Shelby Foote, supplementing that with Tom Holt's You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But It Helps.

Animal Athletics (Allmacher & Foraita)

A Complaint free world: 21 day challenge (Will Bowen)

• Like 1

My dojo just started a lending library so I picked up "The Aikido Student's Handbook" for some light pre-bed reading.

I finished Little Fires Everywhere, which was so, so good. I then went and read Everything I Never Told You, which was also good but heartbreaking. Like, don't read that book the night before you send your kid off to his first day of high school, because it'll make you question every parenting decision you've ever made.

I also read A Verse From Babylon by Jeannelle Ferreira , which is a book about the Holocaust, so it's not light reading, but it's so good and painful and just AAAUGH I love it.

Currently I am reading a study guide for the AWS Networking Specialty exam, so not exactly leisure reading, but something I need to finish before the end of the year.

• Like 1

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

I started reading Divergent after we watched the series at work and I can't decide how I feel about it. I'm more than halfway through the first book and I don't think I like the writing style.

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...