What's everyone reading?

Currently reading "Redshirts" by John Scalzi as well as going through "The Frugal Gourmet" by Jeff Smith

Race: Human / Level: 1 / Current Class: Adventurer / Goal Class: Ranger

STR: 2.5 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3.5 / CON: 3.5 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 4.5

My Background / Facebook / GoodReads / Flickr / Fitbit

~ Take Care, Live Life, and Pray Hard ~

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

- Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

I juust finished Tokyo Vice. It's a good book, I really recommend it. Picked up a paperback of Dance of Dragons to read on lunch, and finishing off Musashi after that.

Been reading a lot of stuff from/about Japan, think I'd like to read something that's about takes place in Africa, or India next. Maybe China. If anybody has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Draken50: check out "Q&A (aka Slumdog Millionaire)" and "Six Suspects" by Vikas Swarup. They're both excellent books; Swarup has a gift for description, and can move from gut-busting hilarity to tearjerker in a few sentences. 

Nnedi Okorafor is a Nigerian-American scifi/fantasy writer, who writes mainly for the YA market, but don't let that stop you.  "Who Fears Death" is set in a post-apocalyptic Sudan, and "Akata Witch" is about an albino girl named Sunny who learns that she's a born juju worker. VERY good stuff; think Harry Potter, only set in Nigeria.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Currently reading: The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs.

Read that a while back, but thought it was a lot of fun!

I just finished the first book in the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson and started Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and also Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. 

+1 'like' for Mistborn. One of my favourite series and still Sanderson's best work IMO

Yessss... I am "reading" the third book now (Haven't actually picked it up in a while due to library books expiring soon) and it's really been an excellent series! Another person - Rob_ , I think? - and I were talking about it in their 6-week challenge thread, as they've based their challenge off of the series. 

I'm currently reading:

• Secondhand Spirits by Juliet Blackwell (audiobook on phone)
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (ebook on phone)
  • Gather in my Name by Maya Angelou (physical)
  • The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson (physical)

This trend towards physical books lately is unusual for me... since I got my smart phone my reading has increased, and it's almost entirely free Amazon books, public domain, or downloadable library books. What got me reading physical books again was borrowing some from a friend. Almost 90% of the books I "read" in 2013 were on my phone (3 were audiobooks). Anyone else find themselves reading on their phone? Even before my Kindle got stolen I read mostly on my phone.

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

I'm a huge fan of Kindle. As part of my downsizing, I'm getting rid of most of my physical books - just keeping the art and reference sections.

• Like 2

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum. Haven't watched the movies - and I read that the film plot diverges from the novels in this title. Enjoying it so far, eight chapters in.

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Still rereading this - a slow process as I only pick it up when I can dedicate a good hour or so to it. It's a book meant to be enjoyed, not scarfed down. 

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

Currently reading: Wayward, by Blake Crouch. Book two in the Wayward Pines series, which is some interesting sci-fi.

Just finished:

The Omen Machine, by Terry Goodkind. I'd no idea that he was continuing his Kahlan and Richard series. Not bad. My rating: 7/10, but I'm a big Goodkind fan. Those of you who aren't probably wouldn't like it.

Theft of Swords, by Michael J. Sullivan. Wow. It's been a while since I read some sword-and-sorcery that was worth a damn, and this was really great stuff. Miles ahead of most fantasy that I've come across. My rating: 9/10. In fact, I'm gonna go find the sequel right now. Cheers!

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Just read all 7 (so far) books in the Dragons of Wulin series by Kevin Shearer - awesome and very difficult to put down!!

My current challenge  (Tracker)

Main Quest (Tracker)

"Behold the turtle.  He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out"

"Your mind is like the water. When it is agitated it becomes difficult to see, but when you let it settle, the answer becomes clear." (Master Oogway)

Finished up the Warded Man - was pretty good - enjoyed the cool setting, straightforward plot and writing style. The author clearly had a favourite Monk character he played in D&D!

Next up - The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, which I'm told is brilliant and one I should have read a long time ago.

I just finished Running Like a Girl by Alexandra Heminsley. Really good book. Makes you want to get up and go out for a run.

Tonight I'll be starting Limitless by Alan Glynn. I've been really good about not using my laptop in bed because I won't go to sleep. Books = good before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

:strawberry: GolfCart34 :strawberry:

Twitter | FaceBook | Instagram

*I'm not the type of person who is scared of something.  If something is going to happen it's meant to be. - Kimi Raikkonen*

*We have to remember these days.  We have to enjoy them while they last.  You should never lose the passion and the joy and always remember the days when you were just dreaming of these things happening.  For all of us it is important just to enjoy the moment and realize there is more time later on in our lives to realize what it meant. - Sebastian Vettel*

hi all! whatcha reading?? right now i have on my bedstand: The Bells by Richard Harvell Game of Thrones (Bk 1) by George RR Martin When Corruption Was King (about the Chicago mob) by Robert Cooley

I have about 10-15 books next to my bed. If I had to boil it all down to what I was currently reading, I would be rereading the Song of Ice and Fire series, and also Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop talking by Susan Cain, and also a PHP and MySQL book.

• Like 2

14%
14%

Goal Weight: 190 lbs

Starting Weight: 260 lbs

Current Weight: 250 lbs

My Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/59640-strength-training-a-year-in-health-2015/

I have about 10-15 books next to my bed. If I had to boil it all down to what I was currently reading, I would be rereading the Song of Ice and Fire series, and also Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop talking by Susan Cain, and also a PHP and MySQL book.

I find myself in that position sometimes.  

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the little death that causes total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will allow it to pass over me and through me until only I remain."

My Current Challenge

Level 2 Bene Gesserit Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

i currently have (at last count) 35 books on my bedside table alone all waiting to be read (and probably nearer 60 unread books in my bedroom/spare bathroom total), so i know that feel! 

i'm currently reading The Hit, by Baldacci - absolutely loving it! no idea what i'll start when i've finished this though.

level 1 half-elf (half-hobbit) adventurer.

(wannabe ranger).

full time awesome.

str 3 . dex 2 . sta 0 . con 2 . wis 0 . cha 1
challenges: 1 

I don't watch TV or anything, so I read all the time. I like to do 2 at a time, one fiction one non-fiction. Right now it's

The Magic Engineer by L. E. Modesitt

engineer.jpg

The Sling and the Stone by Col. Thomas X. Hammes

41NMBsobE1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

And that doesn't count the audiobooks whilst I drive....currently Hardcore History's Ghosts of the OstFront for the umpteenth time.

http://dancarlin.com/dccart/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=3&products_id=184

Part One covering the conflict between the Germans and the Soviet Union in the Second World War. Dan gives an introduction to the subject and discusses the causes and opening moves of Operation Barbarossa.

In Part Two of the Ostfront series covering WW2 on the Eastern Front, Dan looks at the attempt to take Moscow and the many compelling stories surrounding the momentous1941 German offensive.

In Part Three of the Ostfront series covering WW2 on the Eastern Front, Dan looks at the situation in the U.S.S.R. during 1942 and early 1943, including the dreadful Battle of Stalingrad.

In the final episode of the horror story that is the Eastern Front the tale descends into unimaginable darkness as vengeance is called down on Germany. This graphic episode is not for young ears.

Level Zero Elven Assassin

Esto vir fortis!

i currently have (at last count) 35 books on my bedside table alone all waiting to be read (and probably nearer 60 unread books in my bedroom/spare bathroom total), so i know that feel! 

i'm currently reading The Hit, by Baldacci - absolutely loving it! no idea what i'll start when i've finished this though.

I can't even keep track of how many I have that I am in the middle of reading anymore, let alone how many I have waiting to be read. I still can't say whether this is a curse or not to readers that tend to read multiple books. I guess it is no worse than waiting a week or till next season to continue a show though.

What we are born with, we must make our own
Or it remains a mere appurtenance.
-Faust