What's everyone reading?

Catch-22 is pretty hilarious. I remember just busting out laughing while reading it in the city bus multiple times.

haha that's what i've heard! i don't know, it just hasn't grabbed me the couple times i've picked it up. but it's just sitting on my shelf, staring me down, waiting for me to make a move... someday, Yossarian. someday.

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

Ah, those are fantasy rather than sci-fi.  I split time between the two.

Harry Dresden is a good one to start with.  Written by Jim Butcher.

Oh, of course. Duh. Well, actually, I'm fresh out of Jim Butcher. Can you believe it? Read all the Dresden files and even watched all the shows. I read the first Codex Alera. Not bad. Moves along in that high action, emotional Butcher-ish way. Even though I think it's technically a departure from the magician thing, there's still a LOT of magic in it. Waiting for my library to get the next one.

I just polished off a couple by Neil Gaiman. And Glasshouse by Charles Stross.

Guess I'm just bored with authors.

Ok- however, for a simply delightful read that is in a totally different direction:

Miss Buncle's Book by DE Stevenson.

Written in 1936. Loved it! But it will make you want to eat crumpets.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

I'm almost done with Eye of The World and will be reading solely fiction for the extent of my Nerdiversary Party Challenge and probably through the Holiday Challenge as well, so I am going to continue the series with The Great Hunt and The Dragon Reborn and if I finish those quickly enough, The Shadow Rising is next.

Although now I have to add several more titles to my "to read" list :) for the future.

I made it to book 9 in the wheel of time series ("Path of Daggers" i think) and lost traction.  I need to jump back into that.  I just finished Song of Ice and Fire series for the 6th time and am kinda torn between restarting Wheel of Time and jumping into the Mistborn series.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JakSavage

Level 2 Half-Dragon Ranger

STR:6 DEX:5 STA:5 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

All your specs are belong to us!

I am currently reading book 11 of the Wheel of Time series, Knife of Dreams, by Robert Jordan, and when I finish the series, I will read the latest addition to the Discworld series, plus the long earth series by Pratchet, followed by the Robots, Empire and Foundation series by Asimov. What happens after that I am not sure about, but I might pick up up the GoT series again, provided I can find some room for my books.

I just read The Long Earth.

Really enjoyed it. Made me want to go be a hunter gatherer on another plane.

Kind of interesting to try and tell how each of the two authors contributed. Some stuff is obviously Pratchett, but in general didn't feel much like his books.

I'm reading the War of the Flowers. It's literally a fairyland book. Not normally what I'd go for, but the author has managed to suck me in with very good writing.

Sent from an alternate universe using Alien tech.

----

I made it to book 9 in the wheel of time series ("Path of Daggers" i think) and lost traction. I need to jump back into that. I just finished Song of Ice and Fire series for the 6th time and am kinda torn between restarting Wheel of Time and jumping into the Mistborn series.

You can finish the mistborn series in about the time the wheel of time spends describing dresses.

Just finished a kindle book called malice (better than I expected for a first book) and have the Charlie stross merchant trilogy coming up. Kindle is the worst thing ever for my book buying habit although at least now I no longer have to consider moving to a bigger place to store the books.

Dictated over the phone to trained howler monkeys who post it on the Internet for me.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I'm always reading way too much at the same time!

At the moment I'm reading

• A Song of Ice and Fire: A Feast for Crows (GoT Book 4).
  • The Belgariad, and the Mallorean including the notes from Belgarath and Polgara (I hugely recommend these books!)
  • Shadowmagic
  • Lord of the Rings (I believe it's about the 6th or 7th read-through now!)
  • The Hobbit. In order to refresh my memories for the movies. (Went to the midnight première last night, btw!)
  • Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy.
  • The graphic novel of "V for Vendetta"

After I finished a few of those I'm probably starting with books like "Magician" by Feist and "The Silmarillion" by Tolkien.

I have been reading A Game of Thrones when it's slow at work, which I have never read before.

After work I go to the library and read The Hunger Games, which I have also never read before. I just started on Catching Fire last night.

I'd also like to see if the library has Starting Strength.

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

I LOVE Mistborn! Just finished up the trilogy, and getting ready to dive into the next book. The way the magic is described just puts you in the book! I'm looking for a book with a kick-ass Ranger, but I can't think of anything. Any suggestions?

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG

I LOVE Mistborn! Just finished up the trilogy, and getting ready to dive into the next book. The way the magic is described just puts you in the book! I'm looking for a book with a kick-ass Ranger, but I can't think of anything. Any suggestions?

Other than lord of the rings?

The rigante books by David gemmell are a bit ranger-y. There's also no end of historical fiction about Sparta (some of which, also gemmell)

Dictated over the phone to trained howler monkeys who post it on the Internet for me.

• Like 1

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I just gave up on Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (couldn't get through a chapter without falling asleep) and instead picked up The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett. I'm not sure what I've been doing with my life, but this is my first time reading Pratchett and so far, it's excellent. Definitely had a few of those "ha!" moments last night.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline  Just getting into it, but it seems like one I'll like

• Like 2

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Re-reading the Harry Potter series because it's December (yearly tradition!) and read Shakespeare's Coriolanus in preparation for seeing the live play later on this month, which was gut-wrentchingly brilliant and like most of Shakespeare's excellent work made me a bit angry and a little bit sad.  Finished Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw a little while ago - never laughed so much at a book and the audiobook version read by Yahtzee himself is hilarious - and now about to start Three Men in a Boat after having it in the "to read" pile for ages!

There's loads of really great suggestions for new books on this thread, shall be adding quite a few of them to the list :)

• Like 1

Make you a sword of me? - Coriolanus

Allons-y!

I'm currently reading Pikachu's Global Adventure, the rise and fall of Pokemon. It takes a look at Pokemon in the first few years, when it was really big, I feel like it thinks that Pokemon isn't that big anymore even though the video games are still popular, and they are still making the anime and trading cards among other things

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Re-reading the Harry Potter series because it's December (yearly tradition!) and read Shakespeare's Coriolanus in preparation for seeing the live play later on this month, which was gut-wrentchingly brilliant and like most of Shakespeare's excellent work made me a bit angry and a little bit sad.  Finished Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw a little while ago - never laughed so much at a book and the audiobook version read by Yahtzee himself is hilarious - and now about to start Three Men in a Boat after having it in the "to read" pile for ages!

There's loads of really great suggestions for new books on this thread, shall be adding quite a few of them to the list :)

Okay, that's the endorsement of Mogworld I've been looking for! Thanks!

• Like 2

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG

Right now I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire, book 1, for the second time, because I realised I can't remember much of the minor events or names, and I just started "Good calories, bad calories" by Gary Taubes. Is it all about history of nutrition or just the first pages

Last week I finished The Hunger Games trilogy, which was a little bit disappointing in the end :/

The Reality Dysfunction alternating with The Last Policeman

Sent from an alternate universe using Alien tech.

What about Reality Dysfunction? Sounds interesting

Lvl 0 AdventurerChubby Wood ElfLearning to work out and to Vegan-Paleo eatingMens sana in corpore sano

Introduction | Battlelog | Holliday Mini Challenge (Weight lost: 3 lbs) | First Challenge in Progress

A few books arrived at my house via Santa:

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

The Moons of Jupiter by Alice Munro

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Autobiography of Malcolm X

I just finished The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett, so I decided something pretty heavy and non-fction like The Autobiography of Malcolm X would balance out the absurdity of Discworld. We always learned about MLK in school, probably because he was kind of "safe". So I don't know a whole lot about Malcolm X and I'm interested to learn.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

What about Reality Dysfunction? Sounds interesting

Hi!

Reality Dysfunction is a big, very big Space Opera. I love this style of book though they're not often well written. Iain M. Banks is my favorite, but I've run out of books of his to read, so I found this. It doesn't have the dark sophistication of a Culture novel, but it's more fun. And in no way lacking in viscera.

The character development is very good, and he throws in plenty of techy mumbo-jumbo like in a Tom Clancy, but not overdone.... like in a Tom Clancy. I also really enjoy the worlds he's created and the background politics are not only plausible, but compelling with a fair amount of intrigue.

It reminds me of Star Wars with the swashbuckling handsome star-ship captain who isn't aware of his own heart of gold, the beautiful princess, the evil pirates, and lots of intriguing alien creatures.

I only have 2 problems with it: the story is a bit too tidy, and I was a little disappointed to learn the nature of the major foe. The coincidences line up a little too perfectly as if the story is being told from hindsight- but not quite. To the author's credit, there are so many plots and subplots happening, that it would probably be too cumbersome and confusing if the intersections weren't quite so neat. As for the foe... well, while I'm not crazy about the choice (you'll see when you get there), but it does have the potential to get interesting from a philosophical or theological standpoint which is probably where the author is going with it.

It's only the first in a trilogy, and for that I'm glad, as I enjoy the characters and actually care about what happens to them when this book is finished, which is in about 80 more pages.

There are whole sections that are major page turners. Don't pick it up at bed time if you have insomnia issues!

Edit:

I finished it last night. Loved it, truly and now can't wait to start the next which, thank my lucky starts was available at my library! Hooray!

----

I'm currently taking a brain break from real reading and picked up some graphic novels I've been meaning to get through for a while now.  They're such quick reads and I keep putting them off, but I know they're so good!  So I decided between the beginning of last week and the start of the next challenge I will try to get through as many of my backlogged graphic novel queue as possible.

Currently I'm reading the Armory Wars (the graphic novels the lead singer from Coheed and Cambria wrote and based all his songs on.  I was meh about the band until I found out all their songs are based on a ridiculous epic sci fi story, but now I love them. The story's pretty good for anyone interested).  After this I'm planning on reading through Watchmen and the first Sin City.

Also @samanmoran that book sounds right up my alley.  I am adding it to my list of to-reads!

I just finished Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield. Five stars.

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace