What's everyone reading?

The Good Guy by Dean Koontz as an audiobook in my car - I don't handle thrillers well, so it's pretty intense.

Hamlet's Father by Orson Scott Card as an audiobook on my phone for working out - love this narrator (Stefan Rudnicki) for understanding him over the gym music!

Am on hiatus on reading books physically because I just haven't had a pause, but soon again!

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Just finished An Abundance of Katherines  and Mickey on the Outside  and started  Murder as a Fine Art.

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Currently:

The Prince - Nicolo Machiavelli

Recently:

The Meditiations - Marcus Aurelius (not my first time, a favorite)

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk (first piece of fiction I've willingly read in about 2 years)'

Level 0 Warrior
STR: 0.0 | DEX: 0.0 | CON: 0.0 | STA: 0.0 | WIS: 0.0 | CHA: 0.0

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." - Marcus Aurelius
[Twitter] [Google+]

Currently: Chi Running by Danny Dreyer and Katherine Dreyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:strawberry: GolfCart34 :strawberry:

Twitter | FaceBook | Instagram

*I'm not the type of person who is scared of something.  If something is going to happen it's meant to be. - Kimi Raikkonen*

*We have to remember these days.  We have to enjoy them while they last.  You should never lose the passion and the joy and always remember the days when you were just dreaming of these things happening.  For all of us it is important just to enjoy the moment and realize there is more time later on in our lives to realize what it meant. - Sebastian Vettel*

Audiobook: Nora Ephron Crazy Salad - currently in the middle of a series of essays from around 1972, and she mentioned the name of someone I actually knew before they passed recently... threw me for a loop!

Physical/eBook: Just finished Gather In My Name by Maya Angelou, about to start Allegiant of the Divergent Series (forget the author, but y'know. That popular one)

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Currently:

The Prince - Nicolo Machiavelli

Recently:

The Meditiations - Marcus Aurelius (not my first time, a favorite)

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk (first piece of fiction I've willingly read in about 2 years)'

Excellent books! You ever slog your way through Gibbon's Delcine and Fall of the Roman Empire? I made it through the "abridged"(HA! still 3500 pages), worth every minute if Romans are your sort of thing.

And if you can dig podcasts/audiobooks, Hardcore History's Death Throes of the Republic is also filled with badassery.

Level Zero Elven Assassin

Esto vir fortis!

Excellent books! You ever slog your way through Gibbon's Delcine and Fall of the Roman Empire? I made it through the "abridged"(HA! still 3500 pages), worth every minute if Romans are your sort of thing.

And if you can dig podcasts/audiobooks, Hardcore History's Death Throes of the Republic is also filled with badassery.

I'm on a bit of a philosophy kick at the moment. Although I've heard praise for the Gibbon's book before, I haven't read it yet. I should add it to my "to-read" list. Audiobooks are awesome, especially for solo hikes. 

Level 0 Warrior
STR: 0.0 | DEX: 0.0 | CON: 0.0 | STA: 0.0 | WIS: 0.0 | CHA: 0.0

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." - Marcus Aurelius
[Twitter] [Google+]

I ask this now and again to different people, but I don't think I've tried here yet. Has anyone read a book about a mute boy who was the son of a drunk cobbler and the dad kept trying to make him shoes but he'd get drunk and the kid would have to drag him home and by the time he'd finish the kid's feet had grown again, then I think the dad dies and the kid goes to live with some girl and her family in the country and I think he learns how to talk....I'd apologize for the spoilers, but I really want to remember the title of the book. We had 2 copies in my house and they had slightly altered titles from each other, but it was the same book. It's been driving me crazy for years not being able to remember either title.

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

I ask this now and again to different people, but I don't think I've tried here yet. Has anyone read a book about a mute boy who was the son of a drunk cobbler and the dad kept trying to make him shoes but he'd get drunk and the kid would have to drag him home and by the time he'd finish the kid's feet had grown again, then I think the dad dies and the kid goes to live with some girl and her family in the country and I think he learns how to talk....I'd apologize for the spoilers, but I really want to remember the title of the book. We had 2 copies in my house and they had slightly altered titles from each other, but it was the same book. It's been driving me crazy for years not being able to remember either title.

This intrigued me, so I started looking online, but couldn't find anything yet... Do you have any more information about the book? Kid's/YA/Adult's book? I'm assuming it's fiction? Takes place where? Any idea the general publishing timeframe? If not, the earliest you remember the book existing? Any other details that might help distinguish it (e.g. a cultural or religious connection)?

It would have been a kid's book, but not little kids...more like middle school. It is fiction and it probably was somewhere in Europe. As far as publishing...I know I was reading it in the 90's, so I'm going to guess 70's or 80's, since it looked older. It reminds me of Heidi in that I believe he goes to live with some girl in the countryside and being with her helps him learn how to speak, and it has an Oliver Twist vibe to it as far as what I imagine him wearing and he started off having a father but became an orphan pretty early on. I tried googling variants of "books about orphans" "mute orphan" "cobbler's son" "drunk cobbler"...so many things. Then I look through the images to see if I recognize the front cover. Like I said though, we had 2 versions of the book with slightly different titles and covers. Ugh! This will haunt me forever!

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

It definitely wasn't a classic...I should probably ask my siblings or my mom.

Spoiler

This has got me thinking of this random book that my grade 6 teacher read to us (for reasons I can only guess at). I can't remember what it's called or who it's by, but I'd like to try and find it as I remember it being very tense and compelling. 

From what I can remember, this guy goes out to the desert (or mountains) for some reason & then realises he's being hunted by this dude with a sniper rifle and he's got to try and survive and he ends up turning his underwear into a pair of sandals (which is the only part I remember because I thought this was hilarious when I was 11). 

Anyone got any ideas?

I FOUND IT!!! AFTER YEARS AND YEARS OF WONDERING, I FREAKING FOUND IT!!! I searched amazon for books with "wee" in the title, and I found it!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Gibbie-Highlands-Macdonald-Classics-Readers/dp/1556611390/ref=sr_1_54?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396102737&sr=1-54&keywords=%22wee%22

Here's the other cover which is how I knew the book had two titles. We had both versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Sir-Gibbie-Classics-Young-Readers/dp/0875527264/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=08GADXJBZK78VDVR8VQS

Spoiler

This has got me thinking of this random book that my grade 6 teacher read to us (for reasons I can only guess at). I can't remember what it's called or who it's by, but I'd like to try and find it as I remember it being very tense and compelling. 

From what I can remember, this guy goes out to the desert (or mountains) for some reason & then realises he's being hunted by this dude with a sniper rifle and he's got to try and survive and he ends up turning his underwear into a pair of sandals (which is the only part I remember because I thought this was hilarious when I was 11). 

Anyone got any ideas?

Deathwatch by Robb White?

Spoiler

Working on...

The Zone by Dr Barry Sears

Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd ed. by Mark Rippetoe

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Discworld? I'm a huge fan. I would recommend not starting with the first, oh, two or three books; it's one of those series where you can jump in more or less anywhere, but he hadn't really gotten his voice and characters nailed down in the first couple-three books. Start with Guards, Guards!

• Like 1

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Discworld? I'm a huge fan. I would recommend not starting with the first, oh, two or three books; it's one of those series where you can jump in more or less anywhere, but he hadn't really gotten his voice and characters nailed down in the first couple-three books. Start with Guards, Guards!

I really enjoyed the Color of Magic.  The BBC turned it into a TV movie.  With Tim Curry.  Much fun.

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the little death that causes total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will allow it to pass over me and through me until only I remain."

My Current Challenge

Level 2 Bene Gesserit Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

The BBC did the same with Hogfather and Going Postal, and in each case they NAILED it. BBC for the win.

• Like 1

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!