What's everyone reading?

Just started reading "Spartan Up!" by Joseph De Sena today..it's part of my drive to change my life, and not just the fitness aspect but more of the re-programming my brain and how I think..only about 10% of the way through it at the moment, but I am loving it so far..I thought I know what Ultra-Endurance races were before..and now I've had that completely shaken.  For me, I don't see myself going insane when it comes to races, but I do want to understand how people are able to overcome obstacles, even those in their nature (as in, not programmed in by society but naturally occurring) and simply do the impossible.  And just from these first few pages I am truly reconsidering a lot about how I live my life..very excited to continue reading it!

Also, if anyone does want to get it..I found that the e-book copy on the Google Play Store was about $5 cheaper than any other copy..while I prefer an actual book, you can't beat a good price.

• Like 1

I thought the same thing and opted for an audio book instead. Never finished it tho LOL got too bored. I've never read Jane Austen either simply because it really isn't my taste. Maybe I should Cliff Note the original, is that cheating? lol. To be honest I'm having a slightly difficult time keeping interest in it, but I am by far more into it than Wicked (also a recent read). I only read half and never picked it back up again.  :neglected:

Cheating? Yes. Permissible? Also yes.  Reading is for enjoyment, and if you don't enjoy P&P but get the gist enough to enjoy other works, that totally counts.  Anyway, I haven't given up on it yet but I'm trudging along pretty slowly.  Shiny, modern novels that don't require me to research the context every other page keep grabbing my attention away. :pirate:

I've never read Wicked but I've been told I'd like it.  And I'd have the same issue again, wherein I feel like I'd have to watch/read the primary source to really enjoy Wicked, but don't have a lot of interest in the original. C'est la vie.

Mekong, level 11 Cherek Adventurer STR 37|DEX 27|STA 35|CON 32|WIS 35|CHA 27

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Current Challenge

I finished the Power of Habit and Swingin', Singin', and Gettin Merry like Christmas last week. After seeing the Hunger Games yesterday, I re-read most of the 3rd book on my flight today.

Note to self: never leave home thinking the kindle ipod app can replace the tablet app!

Also started this week: What's Your Dangerous Idea  and the Heart of a Woman. I'm almost finished with Maya Angelou's memoirs. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Just started reading "Spartan Up!" by Joseph De Sena today..it's part of my drive to change my life, and not just the fitness aspect but more of the re-programming my brain and how I think..only about 10% of the way through it at the moment, but I am loving it so far..I thought I know what Ultra-Endurance races were before..and now I've had that completely shaken.  For me, I don't see myself going insane when it comes to races, but I do want to understand how people are able to overcome obstacles, even those in their nature (as in, not programmed in by society but naturally occurring) and simply do the impossible.  And just from these first few pages I am truly reconsidering a lot about how I live my life..very excited to continue reading it!

Also, if anyone does want to get it..I found that the e-book copy on the Google Play Store was about $5 cheaper than any other copy..while I prefer an actual book, you can't beat a good price.

I read this earlier in the year. I loved it! its like having a friend that tells you things straight without a sugar coating (I guess that's a good thing for health and fitness! :) )

I have a lot on next year and have decided to make this my first book of 2015...Time to get focused!

• Like 1

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads 

Working my way through EON by Alison Goodman. Not sure how I feel about it. about 260 pages in. its only 500 pages so i wll finish it and figure out if I want to read the second one or not. Listening to the Hallowed Hunt by Loise Mcmaster Bujold It is alright so far. Her books tend to start off slow but really ramp up after she sets the world.

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

This is a life changing book that I just finished. It's a toltec wisdom book that goes into explaining the four agreements. By keeping to these agreements your life will be more positive and stressful situations will seem less extreme.

• Be Impeccable with your word
  • Don't take anything personally
  • Don't make assumptions
  • always do your best

I try to repeat this mantra every morning.

The next book I will be reading is

Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zhan

cause what can I say...imma nerd

Sir Shaggs

Xeph Level  newb aspiring to ranger

Battle log

Six week challenge

Milk the Pigeon Kill Your Old Life and Life the Dream....had saved on my computer. I like the exercises in it.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

No worries, Shel.

This thread just rolls. :)

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

This is a life changing book that I just finished. It's a toltec wisdom book that goes into explaining the four agreements. By keeping to these agreements your life will be more positive and stressful situations will seem less extreme.

• Be Impeccable with your word
  • Don't take anything personally
  • Don't make assumptions
  • always do your best
I try to repeat this mantra every morning.

The next book I will be reading is

Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zhan

cause what can I say...imma nerd

ok, the four agreements definitely goes on my Read Next shelf!

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

Milk the Pigeon Kill Your Old Life and Life the Dream....had saved on my computer. I like the exercises in it.

Tell me more - what are the exercises? How are you using them?

&Heidi

Spoiler

I'm reading quite a few books right now.

Every Idea Is A Good Idea by Tom Sturges

The Happiness of Pursuit by Chris Guillebeau

48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

Daily Love: Growing Into Grace by Mastin Kipp

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Won't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker

...I really need to finish at least one of these before I buy any more.

When I see the breadth of quality books people are reading it makes me realize I consume mostly the equivalent of literary garbage food.

No kidding... actually, this thread helped me kick the embarrassing romance novel kick I had been on, as I wanted to participate but didn't want to have to put down fluff like The Lord's Luscious Lover or whatever. Plus now I'm reading a greater variety of things, and making sure I still balance it with fun stuff - e.g. reading a serious book based in Tehran with existential questions, then switching to Harry Potter, and it's keeping me engaged and interested in all the things.

An unexpected great source for ideas of what to read next is the various lists on www.buzzfeed.com/books. They've had some interesting lists up since I started paying attention, and my to-read list is now exorbitantly long.

• Like 3

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

No kidding... actually, this thread helped me kick the embarrassing romance novel kick I had been on, as I wanted to participate but didn't want to have to put down fluff like The Lord's Luscious Lover or whatever. Plus now I'm reading a greater variety of things, and making sure I still balance it with fun stuff - e.g. reading a serious book based in Tehran with existential questions, then switching to Harry Potter, and it's keeping me engaged and interested in all the things.

An unexpected great source for ideas of what to read next is the various lists on www.buzzfeed.com/books. They've had some interesting lists up since I started paying attention, and my to-read list is now exorbitantly long.

I will have to check out that list. At the very least it will provide a good selection of books I can arrange in front of my embarassingly large collection of zombie novels!

• Like 1

I just finished World of Warcraft Arthas: Rise of the Lich King.

Fantasy novels are my guilty pleasure when it comes to reading. So yea... Especially warcraft stuff.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I'm reading quite a few books right now.

Every Idea Is A Good Idea by Tom Sturges

The Happiness of Pursuit by Chris Guillebeau

48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

Daily Love: Growing Into Grace by Mastin Kipp

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Won't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker

...I really need to finish at least one of these before I buy any more.

I must chest into that book!

Rising Heroes Faction: HAVIK 

Fitbit | Art Page | Instagram

I'm currently plodding my way through Outlander. I wanted to read it before getting into the show, and I am finding it enjoyable, but I'm struggling with it as an 840 page novel.

• Like 1

Spockgrrl

Level 2 - Amazon - Aspiring Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 5|CHA 4

"The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads | MyFitnessPal

I will have to check out that list. At the very least it will provide a good selection of books I can arrange in front of my embarassingly large collection of zombie novels!

So... You have to sort through a ton of fluff in order to get to the lists of books, so I found some of them for you. :)

The 28 Best Books By Women In 2014

47 Incredibly Unique Books To Buy Everyone On Your List

19 Science-Fiction And Fantasy Novels By Women Of Color You Must Read

29 True Crime Books Fans Of “Serial†Should Read

The 24 Best Fiction Books Of 2014

17 Books President Obama Purchased At His Local Independent Bookstore

34 Books By Indian Authors That Everyone Should Read

17 Books For People Who Hate People

21 Books That Could Make The World A Better Place

12 Cookbooks Every Book Lover Needs

20 Under 40 Debut Writers You Need To Be Reading

33 Books You Should Read Now, Based On Your Favourite Films

5 Great Books To Read In November

Top 10 Most-Complained-About Books In 2009

30 “Guilty Pleasure†Books That Are In Fact Awesome

23 Books Every Fan Of “House Of Cards†Should Read

The 12 Greatest Fantasy Books Of The Year

15 Book Series To Read If You Enjoyed “The Hunger Gamesâ€

15 Essential Books By Latino Authors in America

32 Books That Will Actually Change Your Life

There, that should keep you busy for a while! I can't promise that all these books are as amazing as they say, but it certainly gives you more ideas, and introduces books you may not of heard of before!

• Like 5

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Ooh LISTS. Those links will be super helpful!

I'm just finishing up the Hunger Games trilogy FINALLY and I'm needing to find a new book or series to read before I fall into ye old pattern of just re-reading a book or series because I happen to have it.

Things I have done this with:

entirety of Jacqueline Carey's three Kushiel series books (I've read all three trilogies twice, with each book being 800? pages or something. They are good but think of how many new books I could have read!)

all the Harry Potter books, so many times, especially the first five which I read 1-5 and then 5-1 repeatedly when I was going through a major Potter phase

the Twilight books (ugh. and they are SO BAD. but they were there. and entertaining in that terrible sort of way like cheeseball movies!)

I am trying to break my habit of rereading all the time and trying to find new awesome things to read. This year in addition to ye old re-reading all the Kushiel books I DID in fact read some new things!:

Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire)

Silo trilogy (the omnibus editions, not the serialized) by Hugh Howey

I just started rereading Feed from the Newsflesh trilogy but I need to go find a new book instead! I only have maybe 50 pages left of Mockingjay so I'll have to done tonight most likely. I think I may go with some more sci-fi as I have read far more fantasy than sci-fi and I am kind of over magic and dragons and all the usually fantasy stuff (OK OK I'll NEVER be "over" fantasy but I need a change of pace!!!!)

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41