What's everyone reading?

My reading in January definitely tended towards philosophical matters. And for someone who is not an Aikidoka, I read more than a couple of Aikido-themed books. Even the two fantasy novels by Elizabeth A. Lynn—a Shihan and 6th dan in Aikido—feature a fictional version of the art.

FICTION
  • Chalice by Robin McKinley
  • Watchtower by Elizabeth A. Lynn
  • The Dancers of Arun by Elizabeth A. Lynn

NONFICTION
  • Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh
  • What Makes You Not a Buddhist by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse
  • The Official Prisoner Companion by Matthew White and Jaffer Ali
  • 935 Lies: The Future of Truth and the Decline of America’s Moral Integrity by Charles Lewis
  • Aikido in Everyday Life: Giving in to Get Your Way by Terry Dobson and Victor Miller
  • It's a Lot Like Dancing: An Aikido Journey by Terry Dobson
  • Like 1
—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.

I'm currently reading When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. It's a lovely and heart-breakingly thoughtful memoir written by a man who was both a neurosurgeon and a writer. He was diagnosed with cancer and passed away in March 2015. In this book, he wrestles with questions like, "What makes life worth living in the face of death?" Highly recommend.

• Like 1

Ballad

Level | Water Nymph | Druid

Current Challenge | Battle Log | Epic Quest

Past Challenges: I

"The first and best victory is to conquer self." 

1. audiobook - I just downloaded My Father Would Have Shot Me by Jenifer Teege

2. physical book - The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin, still - I'm struggling to be inspired to read this one

3. ebook - Sophie's Choice by William Styron - 50% with 3 days left on the check-out, eek!

4. French - D'un monde à l'autre by Pierre Bottero - it's going really slowly, but trying to get back into confidence with French.

I was reading The Art of Memoir by Mary Karr on ebook, but I'm going to switch to audiobook for that, I seem to do nonfiction better that way.

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Currently reading Lost Stars, the Star Wars YA novel. It’s quite good, great character development and so much insight into the Empire. I’m only halfway done but I think I’m going to end up finishing it in the next couple days.

I’ve got two more books waiting for me after I’m done, Fifteen Dogs and The Wildlings.

• Like 1

Currently reading Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua.

My favourite quote so far:

"What Chinese parents understand is that nothing is fun until you're good at it. To get good at anything you have to work, and children on their own never want to work, which is why it is crucial to override their preferences. This often requires fortitude on the part of the parents because the child will resist; things are always hardest at the beginning, which is where Western parents tend to give up. But if done properly, the Chinese strategy produces a virtuous cycle. Tenacious practice, practice, practice is crucial for excellence; rote repetition is underrated in America. Once a child starts to excel at something - whether it's math, piano, pitching, or ballet - he or she get praise, admiration, and satisfaction. This builds confidence and makes the once not-fun activity fun."

Entirely applicable to NF members building new skills and trying new activities.

• Like 2

Ballad

Level | Water Nymph | Druid

Current Challenge | Battle Log | Epic Quest

Past Challenges: I

"The first and best victory is to conquer self." 

I just started reading "Level Up Your Life" by this Steve guy.  lol.  But other then that, I've been reading American Gun by Chris Kyle, from American Sniper fame.  He never finished the book himself, but it was finished on his behalf.  It's a look back at US History through the evolution of the gun.  How guns shaped US history.  I'm trying to learn more and this is a great read.  Slow in some parts because you can tell the Author changes at points, but informative and entertaining. 

• Like 1

I recently finished reading Divided Soul, a biography of Marvin Gaye written by a journalist who became his friend. I can't quite put my finger on what it is I love about Marvin, but it's hard not to be moved by his music or his story.

Just this week I've picked up Apollo 13, an account of the ill fated mission written by Jim Lovell, one of the astronauts on the craft.

I'm also thinking about reading Level Up Your Life. Coincidentally, I was scrolling through the podcast list on Art of Manliness yesterday, and saw that Steve had recently been on. That was pretty timely, I thought, and probably another sign that I've found my people.

• Like 1

Geek On Fire | Level 4 Half Elf Ranger

STR: 9 | DEX: 4 | STA: 9 | CON: 14 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 4

Challenges: 12, 3, 4, 5Battle log

"No man is more unhappy than he who never faces adversity. For he is not permitted to prove himself"  - Seneca

"The only easy day was yesterday" - US Navy SEAL motto

In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan. Highly recommend it!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I just finished The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg and now I'm reading Level Up Your Life.  Been reading a lot of non-fiction lately and listened to the audio book The Art of Exceptional Living by Jim Rohn.  I recently finished the War of Thieves trilogy by Ernest Dempsey (exciting, fun read!).  For now I'll mostly be sticking with the non-fiction books as I want to be making a lot of changes in the next few months. (I know - small steps!)

• Like 1

So far this year i have finished:

- To Kill a Mockingbird

- Assassins Blade

And Throne Of Glass.

All really good books and currently reading Level Up Your Life.

I have a lot of books planned for the year thanks to a Book Reading Challenge. 

Non-fiction

Overcoming Low Self Esteem by Melanie J V Fennell

Health & Safety test for managers and professionals by the CITB...work related, so it helps me level up there.

Fiction

Ready Player One

The Target by David Baldacci (I have developed an addiction to the audio book series of Will Robie's adventures)

1. Just one chapter left of The Art of Memoir by Mary Karr on audiobook. Non-fiction by audiobook seems to really be working out for me, so I need to figure out my next read there!

2. Reading Please look after Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin as an ebook on my phone - has been somewhat slow going, but I'm getting used to the style, the use of second-person that was so jarring, and I'm falling for the story. Absolutely touching, 60% of the way through.

3. Also reading Les lumières de frigo by Alain Gagnol - it's just easy enough that I can understand most of the story with looking up only the occasional word, so using it to build up my confidence and comfort with French.

I see that a few other people have been reading non-fiction - any that you particularly recommend, find interesting?

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Currently reading book 3 of the John Carter of Mars series. Geez this guy has terrible luck.

Hahaha oh gosh, I bet. I read the first one (really enjoyed it) just a few months before the movie came out. I imagine the author had to come up with increasingly ridiculous reasons to send him back to Mars!

Books read, February 2016.

FICTION

The Promise by Robert Crais

Walking Dead by Greg Rucka (reread) (and has nothing to do with  zombies)

A Wild Swan and Other Tales by Michael Cunningham

NONFICTION

Zanshin : Meditation and the Mind in Modern Martial Arts  by Vince Morris

You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day

Slavery Inc: The Untold Story of International Sex Trafficking by Lydia Cacho (my review)

GRAPHIC NOVELS

Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.

Hahaha oh gosh, I bet. I read the first one (really enjoyed it) just a few months before the movie came out. I imagine the author had to come up with increasingly ridiculous reasons to send him back to Mars!

I just find it amazing that such an old book holds up so well. I mean the first one was published in 1917! I mean at some point you gotta give the guy a break. I'm stalled but mainly it's because I used to read while mining on EVE online, and now I do missions so it leaves very little downtime. 

• Like 1

-"6 packs aren't made in all you can eat buffets" 

I just find it amazing that such an old book holds up so well. I mean the first one was published in 1917! I mean at some point you gotta give the guy a break. I'm stalled but mainly it's because I used to read while mining on EVE online, and now I do missions so it leaves very little downtime. 

I was really irritated when people were complaining that the movie was derivative ... when it's actually source material for so much of the sci fi we've had access to for years.

Yeah, this guy was way ahead of his time when it came to sci-fi. I liked that the movie kept most of the main characters and kinda did their own thing with the plot line. It still had comedic relief which was good in the book, I've found myself laughing while reading this book. But ultimately, like most movies based on books, it doesn't do it justice.

One thing tho, you can tell it's an old book because of the way the female characters are portrayed. Dejah Thoris is mostly a damsel in distress, mostly helpless the whole time all thru the third book (and probably beyond), however in the movie she's a skilled swordswoman. 

I liked the tharks the most tho. 

• Like 1

-"6 packs aren't made in all you can eat buffets"