• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I tend to get some really bad wrist pain from doing my overhead press/push presses. any clue what can be done? alternate exercises? I'm just getting to a point where the weight is really starting to hurt my wrists bad.

I get wrist pain when I jerk my cleans. I always just put it as bad joint problems (my knees and pretty much everything else hurt regularly). I did invest in some wrist wraps (that don't match my purse :() and they seem to help, but they're also a pain in the butt. I read somewhere that you need to try to keep your wrists as straight as possible.. but it is difficult to do with the heavy weights.

Hope your research helps out, I'll be checking back to see if you find a cure!

By hammer grip I meant palms facing each other. I know it's easier on your shoulders, I thought it might be easier on your wrists too. Your gym should have 75# DBs.

They actually go up to 100lbs BUT my big question is if my palms are facing each other isn't the muscle working different? *thinks about it*...no...maybe not. or is it? i'll need to search this too.

I get wrist pain when I jerk my cleans. I always just put it as bad joint problems (my knees and pretty much everything else hurt regularly). I did invest in some wrist wraps (that don't match my purse :() and they seem to help, but they're also a pain in the butt. I read somewhere that you need to try to keep your wrists as straight as possible.. but it is difficult to do with the heavy weights.

Hope your research helps out, I'll be checking back to see if you find a cure!

That is the issue. Keeping my wrist straight while trying to press it over head. super tough. Sorry your wrist straps don't match your purse though (do you lift with your purse on you??). I don't even do cleans...but i did read that the key to not hurting your wrist in cleans is to catch with just your finger tips as the bar lands on your shoulders. I'm sure you know this but I'm just saying it out loud.

Most likely the bar is farther up on your palm than you realize. How does it feel when you bench?

When I bench I don't have any trouble at all. None. *shrug*

By hammer grip I meant palms facing each other. I know it's easier on your shoulders, I thought it might be easier on your wrists too. Your gym should have 75# DBs.

Position of the humerus in the shoulder socket doesn't really differ between classic grip and hammer grip, so I think not. But it's definitely worth a shot for your wrists.

Novel movements for the wrist and elbow will probably help. Your bar placement is probably off, though.

Position of the humerus in the shoulder socket doesn't really differ between classic grip and hammer grip, so I think not. But it's definitely worth a shot for your wrists.

It does change. Assuming a proper setup a neutral grip will external rotate the humerus and reduce the likelihood of subacromial impingement. We normally indicate neutral grip when going overhead with most overhead athletes as they often have various shoulder dysfunction that causes pain (impingement) while locked onto a barbell (internally rotated). Most of the time we can switch to a neutral grip, buy some subacromial space and viola. Pain free pressing.

It does change. Assuming a proper setup a neutral grip will external rotate the humerus and reduce the likelihood of subacromial impingement. We normally indicate neutral grip when going overhead with most overhead athletes as they often have various shoulder dysfunction that causes pain (impingement) while locked onto a barbell (internally rotated). Most of the time we can switch to a neutral grip, buy some subacromial space and viola. Pain free pressing.

Thanks for the correction. Guess I'm a bit overtly flexible.

Mmmm no, I don't lift with my purse so I suppose that's okay :). But yeah, I tend to catch with only my fingers, but its the transition of from the shoulders to overhead that hurts the wrists. Definitely want to try the gripping the bar like I want to choke it method. Let me know how it goes!