The Road goes ever on: Ollyswim's Ranger Endurance Challenge

Ollyswim

The battle for the rebel stronghold is over; the War for Arcadia has just begun….

After defeating the first incursion of enemies from the portals, including facing our own personal demons, it is time to regroup and be more pro-active in the defence of our homeland. His sword sharpend, bow and arrows on his back, Oliveras slips the hood of his cloak up over his head and leaves the Rangers' barrack block. His task over the coming weeks is to be on the move, ranging across the landscape, tracking down any remains of our vanquished foes and scouting for signs of new incursions, across both the land and waters of our fine country, crossing the plains and later the mountains in his hunt. Standing at the gates of the mighty Rebel stronghold Oliveras says a silent prayer to the gods that he shall set eyes upon this fair and mighty place again someday. Nodding farewell to the sentinals in the watchtowers above, he focuses on the path ahead, and doesn't look back.

Roads go ever ever on,

Over rock and under tree,

By caves where never sun has shone,

By streams that never find the sea;

Over snow by winter sown,

And through the merry flowers of June,

Over grass and over stone,

And under mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever ever on

Under cloud and under star,

Yet feet that wandering have gone

Turn at last to home afar.

Eyes that fire and sword have seen

And horror in the halls of stone

Look at last on meadows green

And trees and hills they long have known

So next six week challenge, here we go again!

Ok so for this Six week Challenge, Swimming and running are my priorities, need to carry on with the swimming training (want to hit competing in the pool and open water this coming season) and I miss running. However as a ranger got to keep it all round! This six week challenge is basically a build up to the end, as I will be away for week 5 of this, am hiking for a week in the Lake District. This week will be like a test week for me, I’m planning challenging long distance swims and hikes or trail runs every day, plan to use this as an endurance training week. Also looking to maintain and maybe take a bit more off of my body fat %

Starting Picture:

078.jpg

So Fitness Goals:

1. Crossfit. Every day (apart from prescribed rest days!) (2 Points STR 2 Points STA)

2. Work twice a week on Muscle UPs, levers, hand stands and pistol squats, and continue yoga, stretching a flexibility every day (with the aim of achieving good form by the end of 6 weeks)

(2 Points DEX 1 Point STR)

3. Endurance timeSwim Training is back on, looking for 25-30k a week. Running 2-3 times a week, start on barefoot/minimalist technique properly looking for 20-30 miles a week. (4 Point STA)

Life Goal:

1. Start planning beginning of PhD (Reading, planning etc.) (3 Point WIS 1 Point CON)

Personal Mini Challenge:

When I’m away in week 5 my own goal is to travel 200 miles in that week either running, hiking or swimming (combining my distances for each) (1 Point STA)

Races for next season:

Hampton Court Open Water Swim: 07/10/12

James Moreno Open Meet (Pool Swim) 21/10/12

Swimming Club Championships: November 2012

Spartan Race: 18/11/12

South East Region Open Championships (Pool Swim) 01/12/12

Hampshire County Championships (Pool Swim) (03/13)

Great London Swim: 05/13

Tough Mudder: 08/06/13

Great East Swim: 06/13

Brownsea Island Swim: 08/13

So below is my training plan, just gotta stick to it now!

Training Plan Lifting:

Cross fit on all prescribed days. Yoga to be done every day

Monday: Gymnastics Work-Muscle-ups, Handstands and HS Press-ups, Planche, Levers, Flag

Tuesday: Bench Press, Dips, Squats

Wednesday: Rest Day

Thursday: Pull-ups, Deadlift, Lunges

Friday: Clean and Press/Jerk, Snatches.

Saturday + Sunday Rest Days

Training Plan Running and Swimming:

Monday: Swim

Tuesday: Swim and Run

Wednesday: Swim and Run

Thursday: Swim

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Swim

Sunday: Rest/Run

Also wooo first thread in (hope I'm allowed to post this, feels weird with no-one else in here!)

That's it. Armour on, bow and sword in hand. Lets Go!

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

STR-12 DEX- 8 STA- 16 CON- 9 WIS- 14 CHA- 7'We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass'Find me on Twitter

Swim Coach at City of Southampton Swimming Club, CF coach at CrossFit Solent

Nice! Sounds like you're gonna have a busy time, there's a lot of exercise you're signing on for. But nothing wrong with that, I think my plan is gonna be as full as yours.

So good luck with it, give it all you got.

And well played on being the first thread in! I'm kinda jealous, I've been waiting and waiting for the next challenge to go up, it goes up, and already you've got your thread in. Well played.

'!!@"*

Apologies Spezzy, got so overexcited about this next challenge I forgot to read the rules!! Challenge edited accordingly, Ass suitably kicked!

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

STR-12 DEX- 8 STA- 16 CON- 9 WIS- 14 CHA- 7'We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass'Find me on Twitter

Ollyswim - you da man!!! I'm sooooo glad you're back for another round!!!

Awesome awesome goals!

And kick me when I need it!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Thanks folks, looking forward to your continuing support to help with the ass-kicking. Cline I will definitely be there when needed, on that note where's your challenge thread? :P Just kidding make sure you talk to WMAT :D LoD you in yet? Couldn't find your challenge thread.

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

I've drafted my goals. Just need to submit thread. Will do before I leave work!

Let the ass kicking begin!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Good :D And it would help if I'd read the rules properly, of course the guild leaders choose the guild winner! DUH!

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

Ravenprince glad to be of help mate, thanks for the encouragement good luck on your challenge!

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

Sweet goals! I hit the pool for the first time in years (swam in high school) and started wondering when open swim times are held ...

Love the Hobbit reference, btw. Are you planning to see the movie??

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Thanks :) yeah you should get in the pool again or even better open water! It's awesome and I love it! Going to watch the marathon swim in London when that's on next week: :) yep yep big Tolkien universe fan, the main source of my nerdiness, so yes very excited for the Hobbit!!! Hopefully Jackson will do it justice.

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

On the first day of his ranging, Oliveras came across a small farm. Stopping to barter for some provisions, he agreed to help the farmer split and chop firewood in return for shelter from incoming storms and a decent meal. The work was tiring, but he relished the simple physicality of the task, in good company.

Well I'm dead on my feet. Am home visiting my parents, and I should have remembered that means that Dad will want my help with a million jobs around the house and land. Have spent all day cutting up two trees that came down on our property a little while a go. Chainsaw and axe work, taking the trees to prices and cutting up logs. Awesome back, arm and leg workout, loved it! Now for a giant steak and veggies :D

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

On the first full day of his ranging quest, Oliveras thought a good place to start to look for intelligence as to the enemy's movements was the stronghold he discovered in the last battle for arcadea. This stronghold has several wise masters of the arts of fitness and battle who offered council and fellowship to him. Returning there felt right, and he quickly renewed the aquaintances he had made there on his first visit, joining them for an intense training session in the main arena, followed by a tutorial session with on of the assassin masters. Oliveras left with aching limbs, but ready for the journey ahead, having made a promise to return. The masters of the stonghold had intelligence to the possible sighting of the enemy on the coastline, so that was where he headed next...

Thought it was fitting to start this challenge doing the WoD at the crossfit box I discovered was nearby in july. Today they were doing the 'Filthy 50' and it hurt, a lot!

For time:

50 Box jump, 24 inch box

50 Jumping pull-ups

50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood

Walking Lunge, 50 steps

50 Knees to elbows

50 Push press, 45 pounds

50 Back extensions

50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball

50 Burpees

50 Double unders

Time 32.48

After that I worked with one of the coaches on muscleups and handstand work, pushing on one of my goals for this challenge. Food time now, then off down to the coast for a sea swim, should get in 4-5K before I have to head to work.

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

On the first full day of his ranging quest, Oliveras thought a good place to start to look for intelligence as to the enemy's movements was the stronghold he discovered in the last battle for arcadea. This stronghold has several wise masters of the arts of fitness and battle who offered council and fellowship to him. Returning there felt right, and he quickly renewed the aquaintances he had made there on his first visit, joining them for an intense training session in the main arena, followed by a tutorial session with on of the assassin masters. Oliveras left with aching limbs, but ready for the journey ahead, having made a promise to return. The masters of the stonghold had intelligence to the possible sighting of the enemy on the coastline, so that was where he headed next...

Thought it was fitting to start this challenge doing the WoD at the crossfit box I discovered was nearby in july. Today they were doing the 'Filthy 50' and it hurt, a lot!

For time:

50 Box jump, 24 inch box

50 Jumping pull-ups

50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood

Walking Lunge, 50 steps

50 Knees to elbows

50 Push press, 45 pounds

50 Back extensions

50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball

50 Burpees

50 Double unders

Time 32.48

After that I worked with one of the coaches on muscleups and handstand work, pushing on one of my goals for this challenge. Food time now, then off down to the coast for a sea swim, should get in 4-5K before I have to head to work.

HARDCORE! :)

great stuff and great storytelling.

Kergan will be watching, following and learning...

Here's me and my Epic Quest: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/61826

Haha cheers guys, yes it hurt a lot :) But hey, you know the cliche about pain... Got the swim in before work, managed 4.6k. Just taken my break at work and did the Crossfit main site WoD, decided that Tabatas needed to be done :) I NEED FOOOD NOW!!!!

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

I did a scaled filthy 50 last week (we had a time constraint due to other training obligations).

WAY TO GO! and with a swim! wwwhhhheeeeeeee

I AM going the distance

oh the filthy fifty.

how i despise thee.

good job there!

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Oh, wow, I so love your bad-ass goals. Can't wait to watch you lay all to waste!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines