What am i doing wrong!!

Hey guys id be interested to get your thoughts on this . Race a 8k Trail/mountain race on Wednesday and i just feel i'm not really improving . First 4kms i was in great form then had to stop to tie a shoe lase and couldn't get back into that Flow and was passed by a friend who i would consider to be allot less fitter then me i just couldn't catch him ( very competitive streak) . Now i had also done a adventure race on saturday previous and was still a little bit tired from that . I feel that i'm either not training enough or i'm doing it wrong as i had to walk some of the hills in the race which where not overly very steep .

Training consists of at the moment

Monday Cycle either 16kms or 38kms or a 5km run

Tuesday Crossfit

Wednesday : Cycle 16kms or longer 38km

Thursday Crossfit

Friday rest day depending i may go Cycling

Saturday/sunday generally long cycle or a run

My Running style pose and at times i am still getting a bit of pain in the calfs on up hills . i would be interested to see should i change my training a bit to try improve on my trail races a bit more .

Well if you want to be a better runner you need to run more. I don't know what your long term goals are but if your looking to improve I would suggest running at least 3 days a week. One easy day, one Speed day (intervals or hill sprints), & and one day with a longer easy run. Running twice a week just isn't enough.

I'd suggest two things:

- Less biking, more running. Add at least one more day of running per week.

- Speedwork. There's lots of resources on how to do speedwork, but even something as simple as going to the track and alternating fast/slow laps will make a big difference.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

Second the speed work, and also maybe an another rest day? I don't know how long you've been training or what you level is but over training can be a serious hindrance to performance gains. Rest is just as important as training.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Cheers guys

Speed work kinda hard where i live as no tracks near me but i have a few footie pitches and lots of hills will add more of both into me work and less cycling . Fitness wise i am fairly fit but i would like to be better in regards to races not winning but improving etc . will mix in some more running and hill/speedwork and report back on how i get on .

I would second what everybody is saying. If you want to be a faster runner, more speed workouts/tempo runs. Also don't underestimate rest as it is just as important or more important than working out.

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit""If you think you can or you can't, you're right!"

Ooooh, I should add that there is nothing wrong with a little strength training every now and then, some squats and dead lifts can help build muscle for faster running.

But I may be biased towards lifting things :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I agree with the previous comments to run more. Make sure that your easy runs are E Z, you should be able to hold a conversation while jogging and you should likely not hear your breathing. Hills are strength training for runners, try to find some with softer surfaces so that the impact is less. Also, if your calves are sore/tight, be sure to stretch them more often...maybe even use a foam roller. I increased my running, especially hills and speedwork, and was experiencing a lot of tightness in the calves, then some pain in my left foot, which led to plantar fasciitis (very painful), then a week off and a chronic, though slowly better, pain in my foot. If I had been sure to stretch out, I likely would not have experienced this injury. Just a heads up.

Run more, run harder, run smarter...then stretch and recover.

Celtic ScoutLevel 4Str 8 | Dex 7.5 | Sta 12.25 | Con 9 | Wis 10.5 | Cha 7.75Battle Log"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cheers guys

Speed work kinda hard where i live as no tracks near me but i have a few footie pitches and lots of hills will add more of both into me work and less cycling . Fitness wise i am fairly fit but i would like to be better in regards to races not winning but improving etc . will mix in some more running and hill/speedwork and report back on how i get on .

Speedwork doesn't have to be on the track but it's easier to manage. You can sprint between telephone poles along the road.

Speedwork doesn't have to be on the track but it's easier to manage. You can sprint between telephone poles along the road.

Totally. It doesn't really need to be more precise than that in my opinion. Any dynamics you can add to a workout is better than nothing.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

Cheers guys

Whats this track you are talking about? Just joking, if you have no tracks near you, make your own, ie the road. Just becuase you don't have a track near you, doesn't mean you can't do speed work.

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I agree w speed day, long easy, and maintenance day. With my speed day I pick land marks in front of me to sprint to. The varying distances help with keeping my body guessing. Fartlek your heart out!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis