Lemongranita's Summer of Speed

lemongranita

I've been in the assassins' guild for the previous two challenges, but since I'm having an unexpected summer of running and cycling AND am planning on a fair bit of sea kayaking in September, a switch to the scouts seemed worth a try.

Diet and fitness goals

1. Keep running. I just completed C25k, but I know lots of people get that achievement under their belt then stop. So +3STA for picking a training schedule (combining 5k runs and sprints/hill runs) and sticking to it and a +1 STA bonus if I get myself along to a ParkRun timed session as a precursor to doing a real race.

2. Core strength. I need it for skating, I'm going to need it for sea kayaking. I'll work on it in lots of ways, but I guess it's best measured in max plank time, currently approx 90 seconds. +4STR if I can double that.

3. Less take-out. This is almost as much about forward-planning as food temptation, as it's often the only option if we both get home after 8pm and haven't shopped. Two take-away meals (probably Indian) or fewer in six weeks to gain +2CON and +2WIS

Life Goal

Overcome social anxiety and stop losing touch with old friends and family by making an effort to phone/properly email/write a letter to or organise a visit with 6 people (ie one per week) that I haven't heard from (other than reading their Facebook updates) in a while. +3CHA

"she interpreted falling down not merely as a means of improving, but as evidence that she was improving." - Matthew Syed on Shizuka Arakawa.Frost elf assassin after 4 challenges: STR: 11 | DEX: 12 | STA: 7.5 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA: 5.5My Fitocracy profile"

Hi there! Welcome to the scouts! Good goals!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Thanks for all the welcomes! And cheers Simba, that randomabs thing looks very useful for mixing up the core work!

"she interpreted falling down not merely as a means of improving, but as evidence that she was improving." - Matthew Syed on Shizuka Arakawa.Frost elf assassin after 4 challenges: STR: 11 | DEX: 12 | STA: 7.5 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA: 5.5My Fitocracy profile"

Starting day! I have chosen the Personal Best 5k Plan from Women's Running magazine. It has one interval day, one short run, one 30/35 min run and one day of cross training per week, which I believe I can fit in to my week fairly well - so long as ice skating somehow counts as cross-training! (Heh, this started out as running as cross-training for skating).

Also picked up some useful store cupboard items while shopping so I can more easily rustle up an evening meal at short notice rather than get take out. And I'm planning to make a big chilli and freeze some portions.

Ooo chili, yum!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Tonight's run was horribly slow, but I think that's because I wore my legs out at lunchtime by dashing across London and back to watch the men's Triathlon in Hyde Park. Wow but those cyclists were blink-and-you-miss-them fast! Much quicker than it looks on TV.

Right, I'm off to bed so I can get up early for a core workout before work.

Week 1

Hurrah, a whole week without take-out. The first such week in quite a while and a tough one to start with because my husband has had his elbow in a sling after a cycling accident so most cooking and shopping fell to me.

Running times have bounced back up now that I've more or less get rid of my cold, but I could do with doing more core work.

And I have made tentative plans to go and visit my brother and his girlfriend (who I've not yet met, though they been together about a year!) up north.

Week 2

Two weeks with no take out, that's good going. We had one evening meal out, but through choice rather than not having anything in.

My officemate at work is up for doing a 5k event together in the autumn. She's done a half marathon before, but has had a long training gap, so we're running similar times at the moment and it's great to compare notes on our evening/early morning running when we get into work.

Thank goodness for this week's mini-challenge giving me a kick start on the core work. Still not really budging my max plank time upwards, but at least not getting worse!

No work on the contacting people, but going to try a couple of old school friends at once this afternoon, so that will get me caught up.

Cheers AtSeaLevel! I love the new user pic!

Having a running pal is great - we don't run together because of living a very long way apart, but even on days we're not both in the office we've been texting our run times to each other.

Week 3

Strike 1 on the take out front, since I got home at 9.30pm on Thursday and my husband was even later. There was food in, but it would have taken 45 mins to cook, so he picked up take out. Not disheartend though - once in 3 weeks is a big improvement. Lesson: have something QUICK in!

Running goes okay. I've obtained a foam roller, it seems that below the knees I consist mostly of knots.

Am now off to do some core exercises. And to try to lure Mr Granita out to the swimming pool.

Week 4

Due to other people's holidays I was being three people at work last week, which meant things fell by the wayside a bit. Mind you, there was no resorting to take out and I didn't miss running or skating, which was good.

Not much in the way or core work or personal correspondence though. Bother. And my sleep was all over the place for the Key quest.

Challenge summing up

Diet and fitness goals

1. Keep running. I just completed C25k, but I know lots of people get that achievement under their belt then stop. So +3STA for picking a training schedule (combining 5k runs and sprints/hill runs) and sticking to it and a +1 STA bonus if I get myself along to a ParkRun timed session as a precursor to doing a real race.

I did keep running, other than this past week when a 30km hike/swim left me barely able to walk. Didn't stick to the training schedule as much as I intended, I think early morning runs may be the answer. Haven't made it to ParkRun yet. grade B, no bonus +2 STA

2. Core strength. I need it for skating, I'm going to need it for sea kayaking. I'll work on it in lots of ways, but I guess it's best measured in max plank time, currently approx 90 seconds. +4STR if I can double that.

Just tried now and managed 120 seconds. Since I went backwards for the first couple of weeks on this one and couldn't even do 90secs, I'm mostly relieved to have finished with any improvement at all, even if it's a way off target. Grade C +2STR

3. Less take-out. This is almost as much about forward-planning as food temptation, as it's often the only option if we both get home after 8pm and haven't shopped. Two take-away meals (probably Indian) or fewer in six weeks to gain +2CON and +2WIS

Yes! One take-out in 6 weeks and our advance shopping has become better organised. A +2CON +2WIS

Life Goal

Overcome social anxiety and stop losing touch with old friends and family by making an effort to phone/properly email/write a letter to or organise a visit with 6 people (ie one per week) that I haven't heard from (other than reading their Facebook updates) in a while. +3CHA

An underwhelming one out of six, grade FAIL

Scout Challenges

Intelligence gathering +1 STA

Fortify +1 STR

Key I +1 CON

Key II - no

Key III - no

I'm really pleased with the diet/shopping improvement, which I think will stick. Still loving the running and interested to see how it changes with the oncoming cold and fewer hours of daylight.

Aaaand the social failure partly reflects terrible timing. Work was hectic due to colleague absences, so personal emailing/calls were right out and then I was away for two weeks. But I'm also hesitant about how to rekindle/recontact people, when our only link for a few years has been the faux-intimacy of Facebook.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines