Maleficarum the Adventurer!

First challenge, first time posting on this site, not the first time i've been down this path.

I, and this post, am a work in progress... i am still sorting out SMART goals.

Current physical stats:

• 252 lbs
  • 6'

Goals:

Trail Run 5k, without walk breaks (+2 DEX)

This is an important first step in preparing for a future goal of competing in a Spartan Run/Tough Mudder next year.

Perform 100 Burpees in one workout (+2 STR, +3 STA)

I have tried all sorts of workout routines in the past, but the overall effect/results of burpees is pretty awesome. I want to see how far I can push myself with this one.

Eat Whole30 for six weeks (+5 CON)

I have already been eating low-carb/paleo/primal/whatever for the last 2.5 months. I have managed to drop almost 40 lbs, but I am interested in the results possible by eating completely clean.

Read Atlas Shrugged (+3 WIS)

First step in a plan to understand Objectivism.

STR 2

DEX 2

STA 3

CON 3

WIS 3

CHA 2

LEVEL 4Time Lord RangerSTR 6 / DEX 4 / STA 8 / CON 6 / WIS 3 / CHA 2Architect of Evolution: Blog

I would say that's a pretty good start, it's my first challenge as well, but so far it looks like you have good strong goals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mostly Human Adventurer

* STR 3 * DEX 2 * STA 2 * CON 5 * WIS 4 * CHA 3 *

Current Challenge

Join me on fitocracy

"It ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.

How much you can take, and keep moving forward.

That's how winning is done." ~ Rocky Balboa

I hear you. I'm *just* starting to get there, and I can almost say it's (GASP) enjoyable!

[table=width: 700, align: center]

AngelCastaneda

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

STR: 3 DEX: 2 STA: 2 CON: 2 WIS: 3 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Eat Paleo. Run 5K. Walk 10K steps. Read Love Languages

Real-time Step Data | Fitocracy

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are

[/table]

Friday August 10th...

This is where things started going downhill. I woke up in the middle of the night with a surge of adrenaline and the resulting panic attack. After an hour or so i was able to fall back into a fitful sleep... only to go to work at 5 AM... where i had another panic attack right before lunch. Managing to just shut down and avoid people the rest of the day i made it home, only to have two more panic attacks that evening. My wife was pissed at me... because she thought i was trying to ruin the time she had with her sister (who was visiting for the first time in over a year). Eventually... as in 24 hours and two more panic attacks later she realized that i really was freaking out.

I had the whole shebang... accelerated heart rate, cold but sweating (in both 110 degree outside and 72 degree inside temps), shakiness, blurred vision, urge to run and/or hit something repeatedly, and an inability to concentrate on anything for more than a few seconds.

After waking about an hour before dawn on Saturday i went for a run/walk to try and clear my head, which worked, but later I felt even worse.

Now... after a small f'it-all carb-binge... i feel better. After some research... i am convinced i pushed the low-carb + exercise thing too far. I was trying to stay around 20-40 net carbs a day and by adding cardio to that 3x a week my body had a bit of a mental breakdown. 2.75 months is the longest i have ever gone primal/paleo and I was doing really great. Along the way the wife and i had two cheat days, but it's been a bit over a month since the last one. The true science behind this experience is lacking... i am finding a great deal of anecdotal evidence that i desperately need to consume more carbs, but I thought i would see if anyone had a similar experience.

I have had no incidents of anxiety attacks in my life. In fact, until now i never really understood why people got so upset when they had one. It is quite terrifying. Is this an underlying physio-psychological issue that I need to deal with, or did i just throw my entire body out of whack with too much stress-hormone exercise and a lack of balancing carb intake?

LEVEL 4Time Lord RangerSTR 6 / DEX 4 / STA 8 / CON 6 / WIS 3 / CHA 2Architect of Evolution: Blog

Thursday August 16th Workout

7x 12 Push Ups + 6 Push Ups, this is the most i have ever done. Spaced out through the day, but I am proud of this number.

8x 100m Sprints + Walking (1.5 miles total), 25 minutes

Meals

75% Whole30

(-splenda filled fake ice cream bar)

I do not know where else to put this... and it is not part of my challenge, but i have become so much more proactive and dedicated to improving my life. I am constantly moving (my wife thinks i am being manic), cleaning, cooking, folding, washing, etc. At work, i am starting to scare people with my level of efficiency. I don't care right now if i am going nuts, at least i am cleaning up the refuse from my past life.

Saturday August 18th Workout

Overhead Tricep Extension (15 lb) x 15, 15

Bent Over DB Rows (15 lb) x 15, 15

DB Press (15 lb) x 15, 20

[i need adjustable Barbells, or a wider assortment]

5 mile hike, 1:30 hours. I had on terrible shoes, it was 105, and i decided to go shirtless because i was in the middle of nowhere climbing a random hillside. It was pretty awesome... i had an anxiety attack... and this completely erased it from my mind and body.

Meals

50%

(-In And Out burger bun, fries, cheese)

I am giving myself credit for this... because i required the carbs... and i had no other readily available sources.

Monday the 20th, Tuesday the 21st, and Wednesday the 22nd of August

I have strep throat. Probably due to my weakened immune system and lack of sleep. So... i am not working out for a few days... and yesterday i intentionally ate a lot of carbs. I slept much better. I would still be asleep, but I have to go pick up my car. I was so bad yesterday at work my boss had to drive me to the doctor's office. I am still avoiding grains (except white rice) and not drinking alcohol.

Thursday August 23rd Workout

Burpee w/ Push-Up Ladder (12, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 3) = 90 burpees, 90 push-ups

Meals

100% Whole30

I have abandoned Atlas Shrugged. I will admit it. I hate Rand's writing style. It's too depressing. Too oppressive. I am looking for something good, and uplifting. When trying to improve my life, reading about the drudgery and crushed spirits does not help.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines