CyningaDena's maiden voyage

CyningaDena

Yay, so glad you liked the quinoa! I may have to deviate from my primal path in the near future and have some myself...I miss my quinoa breakfasts. What all did you put in yours?

I continue to be amazed with your handstand efforts, wall or no wall. I watched some YouTube videos of how to do them, but frankly I've so far been too scared of falling while upside down to try it myself. :)

I was wondering the same thing re: mini challenges (incidentally, for the same reason...was kindof hoping for something to kick @$s on this weekend to boost my morale a wee bit)...I browsed through the Ranger challenge forum quite a bit and couldn't find any more mini challenge threads. Either they're way buried, or we haven't had one since #3. I hope we get at least one more before the end of the challenge proper!

I was wondering the same thing re: mini challenges (incidentally, for the same reason...was kindof hoping for something to kick @$s on this weekend to boost my morale a wee bit)...I browsed through the Ranger challenge forum quite a bit and couldn't find any more mini challenge threads. Either they're way buried, or we haven't had one since #3. I hope we get at least one more before the end of the challenge proper!

I know - I've been watching for one too, but I think the leaders have been busy.

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Coming soon .....

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Yay, so glad you liked the quinoa! I may have to deviate from my primal path in the near future and have some myself...I miss my quinoa breakfasts. What all did you put in yours?

Dried cranberries, walnuts, cinnamon, and almond milk. It was so good I had it the next day for breakfast, too, and then I realized that defeated the purpose of adding more variety to the diet. :P

Yesterday I fixed up, for the first time evah, some gigantic brussels sprouts. I had them once as a kid and remembered them being the stinkiest, most disgusting thing ever invented. Mom was evidently doing it wrong (sorry, Mom!) because those things were so yummy! And huge. I had to tackle them with a steak knife. During the weekend grocery run, I also picked up some bulgur that I'm looking for recipes to fix up. Sambie, any pro tips there?

Over the weekend I managed to hold a free handstand for 10 seconds, although it was less a purposeful 10 seconds and more a miracle of leg-flailing and wind currents. I'm trying to be patient with myself (I didn't learn to stand on my feet overnight, after all), but it's sooo frustrating! It's just a matter of doing a thing with your body. Why can't I do that one thing?

Wood Elf Ranger

LEVEL 1, It don't mean a thing if I don't hear that ding: My Epic Quest

Your quinoa combo sounds delish....my personal favorite was always chopped apple, pecans, raisins, and cinnamon. Very similar flavors, yum yum. It must be fall. I've had cinnamon on the brain for the past week.

Gigantic brussels sprouts! Nice. I grew up hating them too, but J luuurrvs them (he's weird) so I have had to find ways to make them for him that I will also eat. My favorite way so far is to cut them in half (after washing and cutting off the tough stem bit), then toss them in a medium-hot pan with some fat (I usually use coconut oil or butter). I turn them so they're all cut side down and let them sit for a bit...they get nice and caramelized. Then I flip 'em over and cook on the other side until they're tender but still crisp. Remove from heat, toss a few shots of balsamic vinegar in there, sprinkle with salt and pepper, stir to evenly coat, and you have yumness. How'd you make yours?

Bulgur....alas, I am no help here! I have never cooked bulgur. I do, however, like to say and type the word "bulgur." Bulgur, bulgur, bulgur. :)

Seriously, a 10 second no-wall handstand? I'm so ridonkulously impressed. I need to try this handstand business; apparently all the cool kids are doing it. I love your comment about learning to stand on your feet...it's amazing, none of us learned to stand or walk overnight, yet we so easily get frustrated that as adults we can't pick up a new skill in a day. Gosh I have that frustration all the time. So hard on ourselves. I wrote your little statement on a sticky note and stuck in on my desk so when I get frustrated with myself for struggling to learn something knew I can look over and be like, Oh yeah..."I didn't learn to stand on my feet overnight, after all!" I also need one for my treadmill, and my weight bench, and the pull-up bar... :)

Mmm. Brussells. *homer simpson food trance*

I oven-roast mine, tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Sometimes I finish 'em with some balsamic vinegar, sometimes there's some garlic involved. Basically the same story as SambieWlks, just lazier. Ohhhhh love them, although I never knew what they were like until my mid-twenties. My folks never cooked 'em and I never tried 'em until my girlfriend at the time made some. Lordy. It's been a love affair with those sprouts ever since.

Handstand WOOOOOT! That's awesome! Unsupported handstand = impressive feat of strength. Getting up is the hard part right? Now it's just adding time.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

I like when it's called this. It sounds like a dance that was very hip in the '50s. "Sorry I haven't been keeping up on my shit these past couple weeks. I've been doing le funk."

300sw047yusw9.gif

Combine this gif with the lube, beer, and camera crew-wow, we've got some grade A+ internet material here people! Glad to hear you're dance fighting your way out of le funk. And if you need to disappear again, don't worry-we'll be here keeping this thread classy.

Like erawka said-if you're challenge wasn't challenging, then it wouldn't be a challenge. I think that's part of the reason the challenges are 6 wks long-if they were shorter, you might not encounter any of life's "shit happens" moments and it would be too easy. But you hit a speed bump, stumbled, and then got back up and picked up the pace again-that's Rebel style! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Yesterday I fixed up, for the first time evah, some gigantic brussels sprouts. I had them once as a kid and remembered them being the stinkiest, most disgusting thing ever invented. Mom was evidently doing it wrong (sorry, Mom!) because those things were so yummy! And huge. I had to tackle them with a steak knife. During the weekend grocery run, I also picked up some bulgur that I'm looking for recipes to fix up. Sambie, any pro tips there?

I've been encountering this a lot since I went primal. There are a ton of foods that either I thought I hated or had been told I hated (probably because my dad didn't like them) that I'm now learning I love.

Asparagas? Awesome. Also, it makes your pee smell funny, which is amusing to my inner 5-year-old.

Brussel Sprouts? Delicious. How could I not have loved this stuff before?

Spinach? One of my favorites now.

Cauliflower? Has become a staple in my diet.

Artichokes? Second only to pumpkin in my "favore things to eat that don't have a face."*

*Really, pumpkin could be taken off of that list. It often has a face.

Over the weekend I managed to hold a free handstand for 10 seconds, although it was less a purposeful 10 seconds and more a miracle of leg-flailing and wind currents. I'm trying to be patient with myself (I didn't learn to stand on my feet overnight, after all), but it's sooo frustrating! It's just a matter of doing a thing with your body. Why can't I do that one thing?

Well done. That's eleven more seconds than I can do a handstand for. That's right. Eleven. I'm so uncoordinated, I go into negatives. I may set a handstand challenge this upcoming challenge.

Bulgur....alas, I am no help here! I have never cooked bulgur. I do, however, like to say and type the word "bulgur." Bulgur, bulgur, bulgur. :)

Seconded. I may, possibly, not even know what bulgur is... but you can rest assured I will know as soon as I'm done this post.

Also, Sambie. I think Mark Sisson did a post about Quinoa at some point, didn't he? If I can find it, I'll post a link. I think he gave it a Primal stamp of approval.

Edit: Found it. Verdict? Quinoa is... OK.

Level 3/1 Wild Elf Assassin/Ranger
Owner of the Lizard Demon
STR 12 | DEX 10 | STA 8 | CON 9 | WIS 12 | CHA 7
Our motto within STG is to always expect trouble. Failing that, create trouble for someone else. -Major Kirrahe

We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you. -LEGION

Party: Down & Dirties
Level 1: Ranger 1
Level 2: Assassin 1

Level 4: Assassin 3

2013 Resolutions

Yesterday I fixed up, for the first time evah, some gigantic brussels sprouts. I had them once as a kid and remembered them being the stinkiest, most disgusting thing ever invented. Mom was evidently doing it wrong (sorry, Mom!) because those things were so yummy! And huge. I had to tackle them with a steak knife.

Oh, welcome to one of my favorites! Try this: chop a clove of garlic and saute in butter for a minute; slice up two leeks thinly, throw in with the garlic and saute for 3 mins or until translucent; slice up a bunch o' sprouts the same (or throw in a food processor) and add to the leeks. Saute the mountain o' green in butter until sort crispy. Salt. Put on a plate. Om nom nom nom nom.

Congrats on the leg-waving handstand! That still counts!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Quinoa and bulgur? Time to go to the Google and do some learning! Sounds like they might be interesting additions to my menu though!

10 seconds is 10 seconds-leg flailing or not. I tried to do a hand stand just leaning on the wall and that pretty much ended in failure, pain, and humiliation, not 10 seconds. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

CD, I'm thinking of stealing one of your goals. What are your thoughts on rewards for the Handstand goal? I'm going to wind up with Dex as a dump stat and that makes me sad.

On that note, other than reading Beast Skills and GMB, any advice?

I think this goal is going to transition into Handstand pushups.

Our motto within STG is to always expect trouble. Failing that, create trouble for someone else. -Major Kirrahe

2013 Resolutions

Last night I made this tabouleh recipe with my bulgur, and it was pretty good. Not so yummy that I wanted to eat it all at once, but I'll definitely keep it in mind as a good side dish. I'll have some swiss chard tonight, and that'll be my three new foods for the week.

CD, I'm thinking of stealing one of your goals. What are your thoughts on rewards for the Handstand goal? I'm going to wind up with Dex as a dump stat and that makes me sad.

On that note, other than reading Beast Skills and GMB, any advice?

I think this goal is going to transition into Handstand pushups.

I posted in the Assassin's forum and have been getting some good tips there. One thing I didn't think of beforehand was that balance progression isn't a linear function. As in, it's not going to be a "handstand for 20 seconds today, 30 seconds tomorrow, 40 seconds the next day" sort of thing. It's been a lot more of "crappy pseudo-handstand today, crappy pseudo-handstand tomorrow, crappy pseudo-handstand the next day" until one day hopefully something clicks and "OMIGAH that's how it's done! Let's do more of that." This has been the case for every single instrument I've learned to play, and I don't know why I thought this skill would be any different.

Which is to say, I think a better way to have framed my handstand goal would have been something like: do X practice handstands/day or week. Because I'm upside-down and practicing a ton. It's just that the ton of practice isn't going to click into an omigah handstand before the challenge is up. So if you decide on handstands, make a goal that relies on the amount of work you're putting into it (which you can control) instead of when that "A-ha!" moment strikes (which you can't).

Wood Elf Ranger

I'll keep all of that in mind. I just need to find a way to translate that into a measurable goal. I think, the way my brain works, I need to be able to say "I've made it this far into my goal.

If I can't think of a way of doing that, I'll likely just work on handstands outside of the challenge and do yoga or some such. I may look into buying a wii fit. I've had a Wii for two years and still haven't taken it out of the box.

2013 Resolutions

The bf whisked me out of town for my birthday weekend, during which time the diet was within parameters but the handstand got zero work. So it's time for a 6-Week Challenge accounting.

Keep a food journal for two weeks; visit a nutritionist with said food journal; spend rest of the challenge fine-tuning the diet based on said visit. +3 WIS for sticking with a journal and actually trying to plan smart about what goes into my body (which I never did before this diet), +1 CON for building a healthier diet

I kept my journal, had two visits with the nutritionist, slacked off for a bit, and then spent a couple weeks incorporating more variety into my diet per her suggestions. I'm giving myself a C on this one. +2 WIS, and +.75 CON

Attend yoga class two days each week. +2 DEX for all that limberiferousness, and +1 CHA for overcoming my innate nervousness about looking like an ass in front of people while trying something new.

Fail. I started off strong, but this one went by the wayside pretty quickly. In retrospect, following through on this one would have meant hitting the gym six days a week (four for regular strength training, and two for yoga on my off days), which is ridiculous. I set myself up to fail on this one. I also realized that, while yoga is something I definitely want to incorporate into my life at some point, it's not really a priority for me right now. I let a lot of other things trump the yoga classes. Zero points.

Hold a handstand for 1 minute (or 2 minutes with handwalking). +3 DEX for not breaking my neck, +1 STA for building the shoulder strength to hold for a minute

I still can't hold a free-standing handstand for longer than 10 seconds. I can, however, hold a supported handstand for more than a minute. I'm going to keep working on this one, just because it's fun and because I've come this far already. I'm going to give myself none of the DEX points because I don't have the balance down, but the full +1 STA because I do have the strength to hold it once the balance finally clicks.

Do 30-minute cleaning sprees 5x/week. +2 WIS even though I’m just stealing tricks from someone waaay smarter than me, +2 CHA for finally having a house I’m comfortable entertaining in again.

Fail. I got some good work done in the beginning, but this is another one that quickly went by the wayside. I am very poor at gauging the level to which random life events happen upon me and suck up my time/energy.

Overall, this was not the showing I had hoped for. I had some pretty off-the-chain life crap happen behind the scenes, which I think probably triggered le funk, and I'm still trying to sort through how much my shortcomings were due to that, and how much they were just life lessons that I should take into account for the next challenge. Not sure if I should take it easy for the next challenge since I made such a poor showing on this one, or if I should slap myself with something beastly since I know I'm capable of better. I rocked the mini-challenges that I participated in, so maybe I just need to set goals that are shorter and more discrete. I'll need some more reflection time on this, I think.

Wood Elf Ranger

It's great that you are still going after it post-funk! I think you have the right attitude and I'm glad you are already thinking about the next challenge. After I flunked my first challenge, I re-assessed my goals and tried to focus on things I knew I would like. I had two general goals and two specific goals and the two specific goals were very achievable (i.e. drink more water and take my wife on dates).

You should definitely challenge yourself, but nobody said you can't set yourself up for success!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

*I* thought you did really well, reading along. Does that count for anything?

For next time, I think your idea of shorter goals is a good one. I plan to break mine up next time too, with the theory that a flexible plan I follow closely will get better results than a rigid plan that I struggle to stick to and drop completely when the demands get too deep. I want to build in a plan for failure too, so if I don't or can't get to something, I have a backup plan to keep myself in the program.

Don't let what you didn't do discredit what you accomplished, because your handstand progress is pretty awesome. Your nutrition work is important, and it seems like you're enjoying the experiments, so that's great. It seems like you've built a good foundation for your next challenge, whether you decide to push for something extraordinary or keep it simple and do a rock solid job.

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

The bf whisked me out of town for my birthday weekend, during which time the diet was within parameters but the handstand got zero work. So it's time for a 6-Week Challenge accounting.

Keep a food journal for two weeks; visit a nutritionist with said food journal; spend rest of the challenge fine-tuning the diet based on said visit. +3 WIS for sticking with a journal and actually trying to plan smart about what goes into my body (which I never did before this diet), +1 CON for building a healthier diet

I kept my journal, had two visits with the nutritionist, slacked off for a bit, and then spent a couple weeks incorporating more variety into my diet per her suggestions. I'm giving myself a C on this one. +2 WIS, and +.75 CON

Attend yoga class two days each week. +2 DEX for all that limberiferousness, and +1 CHA for overcoming my innate nervousness about looking like an ass in front of people while trying something new.

Fail. I started off strong, but this one went by the wayside pretty quickly. In retrospect, following through on this one would have meant hitting the gym six days a week (four for regular strength training, and two for yoga on my off days), which is ridiculous. I set myself up to fail on this one. I also realized that, while yoga is something I definitely want to incorporate into my life at some point, it's not really a priority for me right now. I let a lot of other things trump the yoga classes. Zero points.

Hold a handstand for 1 minute (or 2 minutes with handwalking). +3 DEX for not breaking my neck, +1 STA for building the shoulder strength to hold for a minute

I still can't hold a free-standing handstand for longer than 10 seconds. I can, however, hold a supported handstand for more than a minute. I'm going to keep working on this one, just because it's fun and because I've come this far already. I'm going to give myself none of the DEX points because I don't have the balance down, but the full +1 STA because I do have the strength to hold it once the balance finally clicks.

Do 30-minute cleaning sprees 5x/week. +2 WIS even though I’m just stealing tricks from someone waaay smarter than me, +2 CHA for finally having a house I’m comfortable entertaining in again.

Fail. I got some good work done in the beginning, but this is another one that quickly went by the wayside. I am very poor at gauging the level to which random life events happen upon me and suck up my time/energy.

Overall, this was not the showing I had hoped for. I had some pretty off-the-chain life crap happen behind the scenes, which I think probably triggered le funk, and I'm still trying to sort through how much my shortcomings were due to that, and how much they were just life lessons that I should take into account for the next challenge. Not sure if I should take it easy for the next challenge since I made such a poor showing on this one, or if I should slap myself with something beastly since I know I'm capable of better. I rocked the mini-challenges that I participated in, so maybe I just need to set goals that are shorter and more discrete. I'll need some more reflection time on this, I think.

DUDE. I know "on paper" it looks like you didn't do as well as you'd hoped, but in reality you did pretty gosh-dang awesome...you kept at it despite the life crap, you stayed active on the NF forums encouraging the rest of us (which was huge for ME, don't now about anyone else), and look! Here you are at the end of 6wks ready to gear up for the next challenge. You took a huge bite out of that nutrition goal (oh, look at me punning now ;)), and even though you say you slacked off you still did the most important parts...tracking and talking to a nutritionist. You've inspired me to give handstands AND yoga a try (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), so that counts for something too. I am no expert on your goals, but I am an expert on my own and I think I had some of the same issues...it's harder to make goals than I realized, and this challenge was an eye-opener in terms of learning how my body and mind reacts to the life crap that happens between goal-smashing sessions. I feel much more educated now about how to set up better goals for myself for the next challenge. From your comments above, sounds like you've got a better sense of that too for yourself. So that is a win in my book.

And I'm so glad le funk is a thing now. :) I swear calling it le funk starts to bring me out of my funk every time now.

+1 to Sambie's whole post.

The fact that you're ready for another challenge suggests that this one was a success. Just like doing a handstand or saving money or anything else, setting reasonable goals takes practice. That's part of the awesomeness of NF, now that I think about it -- we get to see each others' goals and whether or not they're achievable and why. Sometimes it's not a matter of hard work/making time. Sometimes the goals themselves need a tweak. Your nutrition goal seems like three or four goals in one -- which is good because you made a lot of progress, but could be improved as far as getting you a little confidence boost on the goal smashing front. And you will be goal smashing. I just know.

Also like Sambie said, you were immensely helpful to me on my challenge, so there's that.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Hey, figuring out STRATEGIES that work for you is a big win!! I didn't really feel like I did a good job on a challenge until this - third - one. Keep at it!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Coming soon .....

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Hey, now. Just a dang minute there, little darlin'. Was this not your first challenge? Were you not excited? Did you not have fun? Did you not complete a foot-wavin' handstand?

These first challenges can be almost as much about learning about yourself and how to set an achievable goal, as much about gettin' stuff done. You rocked the mini-challenges...possibly because a seasoned goal-setter was laying it down. You'll get the hang of it, never fear. Are you not from Montana? The gun-totin' state?

Life is just one damn thing after another, as Will Rogers says, and the life-garbage stuff just seems to keep on happening. Yeah, sometimes worse (or way-worse) than others, but it's always there. I'm thinking maybe think less in terms of 'taking it easy' on the next challenge, and more in terms of learning the lessons from this one and applying those to your goal setting.

You are a strong, beautiful Rebel. Now buck up and start plotting goals for next time!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

I still can't hold a free-standing handstand for longer than 10 seconds. I can, however, hold a supported handstand for more than a minute. I'm going to keep working on this one, just because it's fun and because I've come this far already. I'm going to give myself none of the DEX points because I don't have the balance down,

Is your neck still unbroken? +3 DEX. Plus you made this sound like so much fun, I'm thinking about giving it a try next time (along with a lot of other rebels-Steve may have to start posting blogs upside down).

As someone who is generally too hard on themselves, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. True this challenge didn't go 100% as planned (does anything?), but you defeated le funk (I'm also glad this is a thing now-will be using it in the real world too!) and still put effort in the last bit of the challenge when most of us would have done this:

35onan.jpg

AND you're already planning how to tackle the next challenge. You are awesome. If you don't believe me or all the other rebels here amazed by your hard work, I WILL make you do the Stuart Smalley routine until you start believing it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!

CD, You've rocked this challenge. In the face of adversity, you kept at it. The first challenge was a learning experience. The second will be to. Hopefully they all will be. Life is boring if we aren't learning things. You've already said that you've seen the light on how to accomplish some of those goals if you had it to do over again. That's more important, in the end, than the goals themselves.

I've been told plenty of times in my life that when you fall off the horse you have to get back in the saddle and get back to it (not easy by the way, falling off a horse hurts). Get back in that saddle and show the next challenge who's boss.

2013 Resolutions

Congrats on completing your challenge - and achieving a free standing HS, let alone making it to 10. I'm around the 45 second supported HS, no-where near ready for "proper" HS! Quick question, how do you disembark from supported HSs? I tend to collapse & feel fortunate I've not damaged anything yet... :)

Good luck with future challenges!

L3 (Pending) Half-Elf Ranger
STR :: 9 | DEX :: 6 | STA :: 6 | CON :: 6 | WIS :: 10 | CHA :: 3.5

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.

Quick question, how do you disembark from supported HSs? I tend to collapse & feel fortunate I've not damaged anything yet... :)

That sounds about right. :P About half-way through the tutorial here, he covers a couple ways to "dismount" without breaking yourself. Since I'm paranoid about driving my face into the floor, I've never tried the tuck-n-roll. I do what he calls the "pirouette" and what I call "the last half of a cartwheel." If you've ever done a round-off cartwheel, it's exactly the same.

Wood Elf Ranger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines