Chris Quests to Become Human Again

Our story thus far:

Chris escaped the Tower of the Wizards after many years spent writing the Book of Knowledge and the wizard council's attempt to add her to their ranks. Dressed in her simple wizard's robe and shoes, she set her sights on returning home - a journey of 164 miles through forest and swamps, unarmed and alone. She had thought it would be an easy journey for a former ranger, but she was sorely mistaken. Out of shape from her academic pursuits and hampered by the long robe, she has barely traversed 45 miles and is currently lost and stuck in the Swamp of Reflection.

The Swamp of Reflection is so named for its broad sections of open water, but also because it is a magical place - turning the unwary traveler into a reflection of the traveler's attitude. As Chris slogged through the swamp, swatting flies and mosquitoes amid the stinking land and water, she cursed her luck and just about everything else in sight. Before long, when she glanced into a pool, she realized that her human form had been changed ... into that of an ugly, snaggle-toothed ogre!! Now that she realizes her situation, she is embracing a major attitude adjustment in the hopes that she will be back to her blonde-haired, blue-eyed human form by the time she is at the end of the journey.

-------------------------

Starting stats:

Height 5'5"

Weight: 167 pounds (I've lost a pound during the "off week"!!)

Fitness Goals:

1) Finish the journey home (+3 STA)

2) Bench press 110 lbs at least once, but preferably 10 times in a row (+3 STR, +1 STA)

3) Go to water exercise class twice per week while it is free (+1 STA, +1 DEX, +1 CHA)

Life Goal:

1) Complete a prayer shawl in honor of my brother, who has cancer (+3 DEX, +2 WIS)

Game Plan:

- I've mapped out a 3+ mile route around my house to walk or jog every day. I hope this one will be sans aggressive dogs.

- See what I can do on the bench press currently and increase it 10% per week. I've been lifting light for 4 x 15; this will be a shift in priorities.

- The local campus offers free water exercise classes during the summer. I have put them on my calendar for the month of August - it's a way for me to get out of the house and see people while getting in some surprising good workouts.

- I have a pattern for a prayer shawl and just need to get into town to get yarn and knitting needles. I can knit during the news each night, which I used to do when I made sweaters for people.

Extra, ungraded goals:

- Share something up beat on the forum every day!

- Get down below 160 pounds - I'm working out and eating Paleo most of the time, which has been great for my body.

Mini-challenges:

Week 1 - increased weights on the bench press by more than 10%; pushups: 2 (which is two more than I could do last week!) (+1 STR)

Week 2 - I hauled gardening stuff. Shrubs to the back of the yard. Dirt and mulch all around (+1 STR)

Week 3 - control eating again. (CON, if it make it)

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I like how your story and goals are integrated!

Good luck during this challenge!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Great story, great goals. I'm with you on the journey Ranger :)

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

STR-12 DEX- 8 STA- 16 CON- 9 WIS- 14 CHA- 7'We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass'Find me on Twitter

Swim Coach at City of Southampton Swimming Club, CF coach at CrossFit Solent

Thanks, guys!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Today is RACE DAY! We have two heats in the dragon boat ... and I get to be one of the pace setters!!! W00t!! That will certainly be my strength training for the day. Might fit in some stationary biking if my legs feel up to it.

I found - actually hubby found - my knitting gear. Moving is a challenge - every day is a day of discovery around here!!! I have located a yarn shop downtown and will head over there between race heats to get yarn for the shawl. Getting poised and ready for NF Challenge 3!!!

UPDATE ---

- our team WON the silver division!!! I'm exhausted but thrilled .... picked up information about joining a serious traveling team

- I walked 5 miles to and from the car

- I got beautiful yarn with which to knit the prayer shawl and met a bunch of cool knitters!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

Omg this is such an awesome way to start your challenge! Congratulations!! This just sets the perfect tone for the next 6 weeks!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

wow. awesome goals. awesome start.

subscribed!

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Thanks!!

I definitely feel the effects of three races and took the day off training, but I am knitting up a storm. Hum .... actually, this is brilliant - I can make progress on goals even on off days.

Some sort of Jedi .....

Yay! Glad to see you charging headlong into the next challenge! Looks like your fitness goals are solid-way to be resourceful and take advantage of the free water classes! You're life goal is just absolutely beautiful as well! Seems like you're off to a running start-better get my butt in gear and catch up!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Congrats on excellent goals and a terrific start to the challenge!

C'mon home, Chris. We've left the light on for ya.

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

W1D1 - August 6

Fitness Goals:

1) Journey home: Walked my route, and I have covered 53 of 164 miles. I am inspired by Steve's article on walking into Mordor.

2) Didn't lift today

3) Class is Tuesday

Life Goal:

1) Prayer shawl: am knitting when sitting still and not grooming the dog (rough collie who is blowing her coat now)

Noticing the positive:

- Have you noticed that we seem to have a LOT more nerdy titles and themes to our challenges this go-round? Go us!

- With the cooler weather here, the hummingbirds are really flocking to our feeder!!! Plus many bird families seem to have decided that we are a safe haven, and they leave their kids hang out in our yard while they go get food (also at our feeders). So I'm seeing a lot of cute fledglings these days. They look as confused as any human teenager, btw!

Some sort of Jedi .....

Sounds like you're off to a good start :D

And yeah I noticed a lot of nerdiness, makes me feel inspired to come up with something cool for the next challenge (seeing how this is more a trial, seeing how far I can come in 6 weeks)

Spoiler

well done.

love your positive insights.

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

W1D2 - August 7

Fitness Goals:

1) Didn't walk today - hit the pool for free (in both senses of the word) swim and water exercises. That instructor is awesome!!!!

2) Bench press (Machine): 30 lbs x 15; 20 lbs x 20 ... it is going to take work to get to 110 pounds. Bwwwwaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaa

3) Swam

Life Goal:

1) Prayer shawl: going to shoo the cat out of my office and knit while watching "The Big Bang Theory"

Noticing the positive:

- I have a work out buddy for water exercise class ... she comes to pick me up and everything. Great way to avoid excuses.

- I had a phone interview for a part time job locally. Not great, but it would help pay the bills while we are trying to sell the old house.

Some sort of Jedi .....

A workout buddy who picks you up? No way of escaping workouts now!

Good luck kicking the cat out-in my experience anything you want to work on suddenly becomes the most comfortable place to sleep in the world. This would be especially true if you're working on knitting a shawl!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Sounds like a good start! Fingers crossed on getting the job. :)

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

STR-12 DEX- 8 STA- 16 CON- 9 WIS- 14 CHA- 7'We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass'Find me on Twitter

Swim Coach at City of Southampton Swimming Club, CF coach at CrossFit Solent

Hopefully you get that job!

Also I think having a workout buddy pick you up is really motivating :D hooray!

Spoiler

i've got my fingers crossed on the job! good luck.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines