Bats: getting serious

Bats

First challenge is: how to sign up? What's a challenge link and how do I make one?

So, apart from being a bit technophobic, what do you need to know about me?

Overweight, unfit and a bit unhappy is the basic. People asking me if I was pregnant tipped me over the edge! I had a general plan about "losing weight" and "getting fitter" - in general "sorting myself out". Then I found NerdFitness! A stepwise approach to my vague goals - genius, non-scary plan to achieve eventual magnificence - in words/concepts I can understand. I think I love Steve! And when that started to help, there came another boost - the 6 week challenge! So this is my first, still an adventurer, aiming towards a monkish scout (or possibly monkish ranger, can't decide).

See Bats begins... in the adventurers' forum for the unabridged version, if you like. But I'm declaring myself a quarter-dwarven adventurer (the drinking and feasting quarter, since you ask!) with basic stats of Str 2, Dex 2, Stam 2, Con 3, Wis 4 and Char 2.

My goals for this challenge period are:

1 Lose at least a pound a week (2 would be better!) - despite going on holiday during week 6.

2 No alcohol until holiday.

3 Brush teeth every night with the ELECTRIC toothbrush.

4 Proper interview preparation for a potential new job (interview 29/8) and wow the interview.

Proposed methods:

1 Less calories, more protein, fruit and veg - daily tracking with livestrong myplate

Continue exercise - 2 BodyPump classes a week, 3 if I can manage it, plus cardio - track this as well

2 Willpower, general grit and determination

3 Star chart on bathroom wall - if it can teach my nephew, it can teach me

4 Phone managerial staff as well as (potential) immediate colleagues

Visit site during week of annual leave

Check Medline for research interests

That should do it. Good luck to all of us!

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bats

Quarter-Dwarven Human

(The Feasting and Quaffing Quarter!)

Level 3 Adventurer

STR 4|DEX 2|STA 4|CON 10|WIS 8|CHA 6

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

"Finishing dead last beats not finishing, beats not starting." Wonderbucket

Current challenge - Bats: The Big Red Fire Engine

Second challenge - Bats: rebooted

First challenge - Bats: getting serious

[/TABLE]

I love the "no alcohol" and "brush teeth" goals! Those would be things I have to work on too! Good luck!

Human Companion - Adventurer - Lvl 2
| STR 1 | DEX 5 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 6 | CHA 7 |
If you want something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done.

*~* Challenge #2 *~*

So I think the sign up chet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG9LYzNHNDV3c2NzajkxNVhNenFYVUE6MA#gid=0

your username is then Bats and your profession Adventurer, I think :)

And as a challenge thread link, I´d enter the link of this thread :)

good luck on everything :) !

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you,whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price.Therefore honor God with your body."- Corinthians 6:19-20 Join me on fitocracy.

Oh Bats, so much of lulz. Brush your teeth every night - i wish my nephew would do the same :)

Good luck on all your goals and press on our buttons whenever you need a little motivation or encouragement.

PS. My assistant is preggies, and she's super cute so I don't always thing it's a bad thing :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Starting measurements. (Gulp!)

Weight: 13st 13lb Body fat%: 41.5 (bathroom scales) or 42.63 (livestrong calculator)

Waist: 39 inches (Bellybutton level: 43 in)

Hips: 44 Neck: 15 Chest (bra band): 38 Bust: 45

And that's at 5 foot 61/2 (if i stand up REALLY straight!), first thing in the morning, after a pee, before breakfast.

Not weighing myself every day - that way madness lies! - so every Monday morning.

So far today I have tracked my breakfast and lunch, and I have a BodyPump class booked for tonight.

I need to make a star chart for the bathroom wall to help the toothbrushing challenge, and I currently feel no need for alcohol!

Athena- this 6 weeks of toothbrushing is so that the next 6 week challenge can include going to the dentist without dying of shame!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bats

Quarter-Dwarven Human

Level 3 Adventurer

[/TABLE]

Day one summary - 1900 calories in, 590 calories out - according to livestrong dailyplate. Body pump class done, and increased weights on some sections. Still can't get all the way through the squats and lunges section, but sure I stopped less often than last week. Fell over doing quad stretches, however, with screech heard above cool-down music!

Alcohol drunk - none (Bridget Jones, are you listening!)

Off to brush my teeth with the ELECTRIC toothbrush, then go to bed.

Carry on!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bats

Quarter-Dwarven Human

Level 3 Adventurer

[/TABLE]

Awww yeah, Star Charts! I think I need to make one for myself, and put it on the fridge, to keep me away from non-sanctioned nibbles. XD

Also, <hearts> to you for your tooth-brushing challenge! As the daughter of a dentist, I have heard *way* too much about what poor dental hygiene does to your whole body. >_> So three cheers to you for taking care of a small, but totally important, part of your overall health!

Dwarf Adventurer

Level: 0 <--so sad!

STR:2 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:3 CHA:4

"You give into distraction as if it is a murderer. You lay there, waiting to be killed. Today: fight for your life." -Miranda July

Current Challenge:--Slaying the Beast of Maybe Tomorrow

Day 3 - the progress so far

2 stars for electric toothbrushing. Can't stop licking my front teeth-they feel so smooth already. Lining up star number 3 tonight.

Still tracking food on livestrong's dailyplate. Not sure i agree with all their calories/macronutrients, but at least I am more mindful of what goes in because I have to input it later. Sticking with the eating plan from Women's Fitness - actually sometimes not able to eat all of what's on the sheet - waaay more fruit and veggies - but doesn't feel like a "diet". First healthy eatin plan I've found that could actually become a lifestyle rather than a diet.

BodyPump class on Monday night - upped the weights - consequently, too stiff for cardio yesterday - went home and fell asleep instead. Revitalised today, so off to pound the machines after work.

Mini-woot: after so many people asking me if my belly was a foetus, a patient yesterday said she didn't recognise me at first, what am I doing, I look like I've lost 2 dress sizes! (I haven't - if only - but glad someone thinks I'm making progress!) Then she gave me a hug!

Off to think about the mini-challenge now: saw something today about weights having a particular influence on diabetes - need to find the reference, though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bats

Quarter-Dwarven Human

Level 3 Adventurer

[/TABLE]

The continuing saga of Bats...

Fell off the wagon a little with food yesterday and today as I slept late and didn't have time to make a packed lunch - well, it was make a packed lunch, or be on time for work - I went with option 2 - but at least bought healthier options in the canteen than previously. Managed to get a lean turkey sandwich with no butter on wholemeal bread both days, instead of my previous meal deal lunch of bacon-containing/mayonnaise-slathered/both sandwich, bag of crisps and bottle of fizzy juice for £3.50 plus or minus a bar of chocolate. So I'm counting it as a wobble, not a fail.

Toothbrushing is progressing apace, the star chart is filling up nicely.

Cardio workouts unfortunately went for a burton this week, due to falling asleep on Tuesday, and having a work emergency last night. But my husband is coming to visit me this weekend, so that means I can fit in a third BodyPump class on Saturday morning. Again, I'm going to count this as a wobble, not a fail, as 3 BodyPumps in a week is just about more exercise than I've done in the last 2 years!

Plus I've just posted my mini-challenge entry, and I'm already feeling the wisdom and hatching plans.

So - not perfect, but who is? - but still much better than a slap in the face with a wet haddock!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bats

Quarter-Dwarven Human

Level 3 Adventurer

[/TABLE]

Perfection isn't attainable, but striving for perfection is. You're doing great. Keep it up and as long as you're making one better choice each day than the last, you're moving in the right direction! :)

Shape-shifting Adventurer and Would-Be Assassin: Level 1

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 1 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge

Earned Points: +1 WIS (Mini-Challenge #1), +2 CON (Goal #2 Completed 100%)

SammieGetsFit on MFP

Back on track with the eating - up in time to have breakfast, make a packed lunch, run an errand into town on the way to work, and still get to work early. Much better.

Thanks Sammie and Athena for the encouragement! Checked in on your threads, and a big well-done to you both.

Going well with the toothbrushing and no alcohol parts of my challenge - both 100% so far. Limiting myself to only weighing myself on a Monday morning, so will have to wait and see how goal #1 is working out. But I'm feeling heathier/fitter, so that's good, anyway. No movement whatsoever on my life challenge. Having a mental block. Haven't even booked the day off work yet to go to the interview, let alone arrange a pre-interview visit. Mini-self-challenge: send emails requesting appointments to all 3 potential colleagues over this weekend - at least START communications!

Hubby doing 100k bike race this weekend, and has promised himself steak and red wine for dinner on completion. So I am going to allow myself max 2 glasses of wine with him on Sunday, then back to the no alcohol until holiday rule.

There we go - one scary challenge, but one cheat to make up for it. Oh dear, that's rationalizing/making excuses, isn't it? Bad Bats!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bats

Quarter-Dwarven Human

Level 3 Adventurer

[/TABLE]

Glad to see that things are off to a good start. Congrats on the mini-woot!

As for the wobbles: they happen to everyone; I've definitely had a few in my time. All you can do is regain your balance and keep going.

I've been close to having some wobbles concerning food myself, what with trying to develop a social life leading me to restaurants/pubs surprisingly often.

My opinion on the wine thing is the same as Athena's, you should focus on your goals. I admit that it may not be as easy because of the circumstance, but I'm sure your husband will understand.

Best of luck. Can't wait to hear more good news.

Oh no! Didn't see the posts from Athena and DylanAilDon until today, which is AFTER I had 2 beers while out with the Hubby last night. Did resist a starter, and had a coffee while he had pudding (Belgian waffles with chocolate sauce and ice-cream - b*stard!). Also, did not send the emails regarding new job, side-tracked as my Dad was unwell.

So, after 1 week, the tally looks like this:

#1 Weight loss by diet and exercise: Stuck to the women's fitness eating plan. Did 3 BodyPump classes. At weigh-in this morning - down 1 pound and 1/2 inch off my waist.

Assessment: Tick

Action: Keep going

#2 No alcohol: 2 pints lager with hubby last night.

Assessment: could do better

Action: volunteer to be designated driver for any more nights out before holiday.

#3 Electric toothbrushing: nice full star-chart. Shiny teeth. Impressed husband.

Assessment: tick

Action: keep going

#4 Researching new job: procrastinating because I (irrationally) find it scary

Assessment: miserable fail

Action: get these flipping emails sent. After the emails, make some phone calls. After the phone calls, try to squeeze in a visit. Get on the web, and research the unit. JFDI. It's not scary.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bats

Quarter-Dwarven Human

Level 3 Adventurer

[/TABLE]

*Currently proscrastinating by posting this, should be making dinner and going for a swim* I agree, JDFI. (Ignore the hypocrisy please :P)

I admit, life does have a habit of derailing plans, but all you can really do is get back on track and keep going.

Send those e-mails, make those calls, do that research, maybe even that visit... But you have to do it!

Now then, on to the other topic...

I am slightly disappointed, but I won't judge, lecture, scold or anything else of the sort.

I'll just offer my opinion: good on you for finding a reason to enforce your goal, but you have to reinforce your desire to keep this goal regardless of the fact that you might become DD. The emphasis on might comes from the fact that there may be times where you won't be DD, or at least not be the only one. In those times you still need to be willing to think of your goal and say "no". If that's what you want of course... Your goal is a promise to yourself, whether you keep it or not is up to you.

*Sorry if I sounded mean*

Either way, I'm cheering you on and know you can do it! JFDI!

Got a bit down and discouraged. Life got in the way somewhat. Serious lack of updating/concentration. Will reboot for next challenge.

However: losing a pound a week. tick. Award myself Con 3, Stam 1 and Char 1 for losing 7 pounds in 6 weeks. Staying off alcohol (except during weeks holiday) - 4 weeks out of 5 only. Will give myself the +1 Con, but don't really deserve the +2 Wis. Tooth brushing - a couple of wobbles, nothing too bad, but not a full star chart. So I'll go with Char +2. Life challenge:F. nuff said. +1 Wis for one mini-challenge.

See you (rebooted!) on the next one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bats

Quarter-Dwarven Human

Level 3 Adventurer