JPAN ready to pound out some more miles!

JPAN

Name: JPAN

Race: Orc

Class: Scout

Level: 2

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 6

Dexterity (DEX): 4

Stamina (STA): 7

Constitution (CON): 5

Wisdom (WIS): 7

Charisma (CHA): 3

Total: 32

This will be my second 6 week challenge. I learned a lot from the previous one, such as life likes to throw in some curve balls every now and then (flooded basement). I wasn't too happy with how I let this affect my goals and it let me slip back into some of my bad habits that I had worked really hard to kick. The last two weeks of the previous challenge I started to think about what I wanted to achieve during this challenge. I was able to think of way more than 3 fitness/diet goals and 1 life goal. Some of my overall goals that didn't make the cut, but will still be working towards are as follows. First, I want to post in my thread more often and log every workout and most everything I eat/drink, I feel this will help me not slip back into bad habits. I want to plan out my meals more thoroughly, so I am thinking of a weekly meal plan. I am sure I will think of a few others that I will post as they come to me. Time for the main event, and the goals I will be graded on.

1. I have an upcoming Olympic Triathlon on Aug 18th. This will be my second one of the year and second one ever! For the one I did on June 10th my goal was to complete it in under 3 hours. I finished with a time of 3:01:48, so close! Steve posted about Is "good enough" really good enough? the day after my event. I was pretty disappointed in my time, even though finishing an Olympic Tri is a pretty good accomplishment.
    So for this Challenge my first goal is to break the 3 hour time!
    Reward +4 DEX, +1 STA
  2. In my signature I tried to keep track of my mileage throughout the last 6 week challenge. I felt like either A I forgot to put some of them in or B I can't add. So for this challenge my goal is to simply increase my distance covered. If I go by those numbers I averaged the following
    • Swimming: 1542 yards/week
    • Biking: 28.4 miles/week
    • Running: 7.6 miles/week

For this challenge I want to increase those numbers by ~50% (that big of an increase seems like too high of a number but I feel like I was doing much more that those numbers show in the first place) My goal numbers are as follows:

• Swimming: 13500 yards (2250 yards/week)
  • Biking: 270 miles (45 miles/week)
  • Running: 72 miles (12 miles/week)

Reward +4 STA

[*]Before the last challenge started I had removed all liquid calories from my diet, pretty much down to water, black coffee and unsweetened tea. With the stress of work and house issues I fell back into old bad habits. On top of that a lot of my friends don't really understand that I can still go out to the bars with them and have a good time without drinking anything (well they probably do but since I used to always drink with them they don't like the change of me not drinking)

This goal is simple as well. 0 liquid calories during the challenge, Only water, coffee and tea. I was actually in the process of phasing out caffeine when everything started to stress me out, so I want to revisit that as well. I will work on tapering off of caffeine. I am going to allow myself two cheats for this goal. The first will be during my triathlon and the second will be during my metric century bike ride (Gatorade will be a must)

Reward +2 CON, BONUS +1 WIS if I eliminate caffeine by week 6

[*]Life Goal - With wanting to drop all caffeine I figured a way to help this would be increase my sleep. My current sleep cycle kinda sucks. It goes something like this, go to bed late (midnight/1:00 AM) and wake up early 6:00-7:00 AM for a few days until I get super tired and fall asleep at like 9 and then repeat. I want to make this more uniform. So for this challenge I am wanting to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.

Reward +2 CHA, +1 CON

I am really looking forward to this challenge and can't wait to get started. I am also looking forward to reading everybody's threads and see the great progress that people are making.

Let's get to it!

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit""If you think you can or you can't, you're right!"

Nice looking challenge. Good luck with it all.

I like your challenge 3 especially. I'm busy writing my challenge and in diet it says "No Beer, No Coffee", both of which are going to be big hills for me to climb.

But I also like the idea of not being emotionally tied to any food (or drink), so I think it'll make the world of difference in my life to be able to go hang out with my friends at the bar and not feel the need to get drunk with them. (says Muzza as he sucks on a beer at his computer).

So from Monday its only water and green tea (or rooibos tea) for me for at least the next 6 weeks.

I hope I pull my challenge off, and good luck to you with yours.

'!!@"*

Nice job on the tri even if you fell a bit short of your goal. I also appreciate your quest to remove liquid calories...that's a tough one for me too.

Celtic ScoutLevel 4Str 8 | Dex 7.5 | Sta 12.25 | Con 9 | Wis 10.5 | Cha 7.75Battle Log"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hope everybody had a great weekend. I did Step Up To Cancer on Sunday. It was a pretty good event and helped to raise money for many cancer non profits, including Besties With Testies, which is a non profit some of my friends started. I am going to donate blood today after work. I always look forward to see what my resting pulse rate is as well as my BP. I keep the little form they give you and compare it to the last time I donated.

It looks like we have a lot of new Scouts joining us for this challenge. I am looking forward to reading everybody's updates

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit""If you think you can or you can't, you're right!"

I was in bed by 11 last night and up at 7, got in my 8 hours of sleep, plus I only had 1 cup of coffee this morning. Coincidence? I think not

1. For this challenge I want to increase those numbers by ~50% (that big of an increase seems like too high of a number but I feel like I was doing much more that those numbers show in the first place) My goal numbers are as follows:
    • Swimming: 13500 yards (2250 yards/week)
    • Biking: 270 miles (45 miles/week)
    • Running: 72 miles (12 miles/week)

I believe you should be able to completely obliterate these goals. You are ready for a major level up!!

Your weekly distance goals look completely reasonable. You've already done one Olympic this summer and have a great base. You might even be a little short on the swim distances. I can't wait to hear how you completely crush the clock and the competition in your tri. WOOT!

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wherever you go, there you are.

FSJJunkie (FSJ = Full Size Jeep)

Spartan Scout w/ assassin tendencies

STR:7.75 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:5 WIS:7.5 CHA:4

Multisport Athlete (Triathlon/Duathlon/Offroad Triathlon/Adventure)

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

On top of that a lot of my friends don't really understand that I can still go out to the bars with them and have a good time without drinking anything (well they probably do but since I used to always drink with them they don't like the change of me not drinking)

This is a tough one - I'm not much of a drinker, but for me it's my friends and food. Seems like every social situation revolves around it! I'm sure your friends will adjust to this new reality soon enough - and when they see the results that you're getting, that might even motivate them to get on board, too.

Current Challenge: Roocifer's Eat and Run Challenge | Fitocracy

Level 2 Scout: STR: 4.25 | DEX: 8.75 | STA: 8.75 | CON: 6 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.75

I feel my boots trying to leave the ground, I feel my heart pumping hard, I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable and beautiful and afraid of nothing, as though I had wings. - Mary Oliver

This is a tough one - I'm not much of a drinker, but for me it's my friends and food. Seems like every social situation revolves around it! I'm sure your friends will adjust to this new reality soon enough - and when they see the results that you're getting, that might even motivate them to get on board, too.

I feel this will be mostly willpower on my part. Which will come majorly into play as football season is starting soon and what else do you do when you tailgate besides drink beer?

Monday 8-6 Update

I took Monday as a rest day. I went and donated blood and then went to the park to watch E.T. with my girlfriend (every other Monday during the summer a local park shows movies on the big screen, on the 20th is The Princess Bride, which is one of my all time favorites!)

I made it to bed around 10:45 so still got my 8ish hours of sleep, I made it through the day with only water to drink and 1 cup of coffee in the morning

Roo some of our friends wont change, which is fine, but it is hard in our group to be the guy that isn't drinking for sure. I am super happy to see JPAN going for it again. Last time he did I think he went 6 months...which is awesome. I am hopefully going to be able to help him in this too, but for the most part I don't think he will get too much crap...maybe at football games but that will all be in jest. Still not sure how he will play beer pong though....I guess a DD (Designated Drinker) will be in order :-)

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

Tuesday 8-7 Update

Only water and coffee (2 cups) to drink for the day. I ate pretty healthy; breakfast was 3 eggs, lunch was left over Chicken Curry, and Dinner was a salad with some steak on it.

For my workout I went on a bike ride around the lake. I feel like I should be fully recovered from donating blood on Monday, but I was dragging pretty bad. My heart rate was up higher than usual and my time was slower... oh well

Bike:

Distance: 20 miles

Time: 1:17:24

Calories Burned: 988

Avg HR: 144

Max HR: 172

This workout must have drained me cause I fell asleep at 9:45 last night. Hope everybody has a great Wednesday!

Good luck on the Olympic Tri, you know you're going to rock it

and good luck with the challenge

Thanks! With about a week and a half left before the race I am starting to get nervous/excited. Before most races I usually get the "Am I ready? Did I do enough?" feeling, and this one is no exception. I feel confident in my training and in the fact that I already did one Olympic tri two months ago, but those feelings are still there. This race is a bit weird I think because even though it is an open water swim (in a pretty big lake) you have to do 2 out and backs (like actually leaving the water and hoping back in). I'm not sure why they decided to do this, maybe to keep people closer to shore or something. We shall see how the effects my overall swim time.

Many of the ITU races do this same thing. I just watched a bunch of highlights of European venues and a bunch of them do two laps of the water including a land portion. I wonder if it's to keep track of laps, like put a timing mat on land and give a split time, as well as make sure everybody actually does two. You could be slow in your first lap and get lapped, and if it was all in the water, you could come out after the leaders and only do half the swim. It would be really hard for spotters to verify that everybody took the turn and did the second lap. I could also be so you can grab a drink, adjust your goggles, etc. I don't beyond that.

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wherever you go, there you are.

FSJJunkie (FSJ = Full Size Jeep)

Spartan Scout w/ assassin tendencies

STR:7.75 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:5 WIS:7.5 CHA:4

Multisport Athlete (Triathlon/Duathlon/Offroad Triathlon/Adventure)

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

Wednesday 8-8 Update

Only water and coffee (1 cups) to drink for the day.

For my workout I went to the gym and swam. The swim felt really good.

Swim:

Distance: 1500 yards

Time: 32:53

I didn't get to bed as early as I had hoped, but still got in 8 hours of sleep. Happy Thursday, Football starts today!

Wednesday 8-8 Update

Only water and coffee (1 cups) to drink for the day.

Swim:

Distance: 1500 yards

Time: 32:53

I didn't get to bed as early as I had hoped, but still got in 8 hours of sleep. Happy Thursday, Football starts today!

It's not a happy Thursday it's a monumentally awesome and amazing Thursday. PFM

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:

I got offered free lunch twice today, but I resisted as I brought in a healthy lunch from home. Putting this one in the win column!

I got offered free lunch twice today, but I resisted as I brought in a healthy lunch from home. Putting this one in the win column!

One could say everythings coming up Milhouse??? Err I mean JPAN??? :) Resisting temptation is always hard for sure but great job at saying no. I don't think i could say screw you and your free lunch to someone....Kudos :-)

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:

Thursday 8-9 Update

Only water and coffee again today. I think next week I will be mixing my coffee 50/50 decaf and regular. Though at 1-2 cups a day I might not have any withdrawals from the caffeine. Like I posted early I had 2 separate people offer to take me to lunch. I was proud of myself for telling them both thanks but no thanks.

I met some friends at a bar to watch the Broncos game, which was a great time. Before which I got in a run. I only did 5K since the game started at 6:30 and I didn't get home from work till around 5:20.

Run:

Distance: 3.1 miles

Time: 27:00

Calories Burned: 434

Avg HR: 165

Max HR: 180

Hope everybody has a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!

Friday 8-10 Update

Swim:

Distance: 1000 yards

Time: 20:20

500 yard split

Time 10:00

This work out put me 250 yards over my weekly goal for swimming! For the weekend depending how I feel I will run on Saturday. Sunday I am planning a 32 mile bike ride.

I had 1 cup of coffee this morning and some ice tea during lunch.

Saturday and Sunday 8-11/12 Update

Saturday I relaxed and took it as my rest day. For Sunday my workout was the following

Bike:

Distance: 20 miles

Time: 1:18:42

Calories Burned: 887

Avg. HR: 134

Max HR: 153

Run:

Distance: 5.1 miles

Time: 59:47

Calories Burned: 875

Avg. HR: 156

Max HR: 169

I decided to do a brick workout today. I tried to take it slow and easy and keep my heart rate down. This workout puts my weekly total at

Swim: 2500/2250

Bike: 40/45 miles

Run: 8.2/12 miles

I am below my weekly average for running and biking. I am one week out from my triathlon so I didn't want to push it too hard. This next week will be relativity low mileage so I will have to hit weeks 3-6 pretty hard to make up for these two weeks

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines