Stareyedgirl's Badass Fairy Druid Challenge III - Kicking It Up A Notch (Or 3)

Stareyedgirl

Yay, new challenge! And boy am I ready for it. In the past two challenges I have set goals that have been... not easy per se. But they were sort of preparation goals. I've been physically quite weak for so long that I dared not go all in on any fitness adventure, because I've broken myself before and so I know I have to be careful. Baby steps. Yoga is wonderful because you can build strength and endurance and go at a pace that is good and healthy for you.

Current stats:

STR: 7 DEX: 4.5 STA: 7.5 CON:8 WIS:11.25 CHA:8.5

Fitness

Yoga - I (obviously) want to keep doing yoga. Building strength and maintaining flexibility are important to me, but I'm going to do a little less this challenge.

4 sessions of at least 20 minutes each per week. (+3 DEX)

I'll score this one weekly so that if I miss my 4 times, at least I get credit for what I did do.

A: 4 times B: 3 times C: 2 times D: 1 time F: none

Cardio - Here's the biggie. I don't have aspirations to become a 'runner'. BUT. There is a minimum level of cardio fitness that I would like to attain. I have never run a mile. Never. I have tried. SO many times. When I was younger, asthma got in my way. Now that I'm older, I don't have as many asthma problems, but my legs are weak and my cardio is... sad. Currently, I literally cannot do it. After 2 or 3 minutes, my heart rate is 192 and I just can't keep going.

Goal: Run a mile without walking for the first time in my life. (+1 STR, +2 STA, +2 CON)

My plan to do this: There are a couple of training plans floating around the internet and I'm going to give one of them a shot.

Week 1: Run for 1 min. Walk for 4 min. Repeat 4 times.

Week 2: Run for 2 min. Walk for 3 min. Repeat 4 times.

Week 3: Run for 3 min. Walk for 2 min. Repeat 4 times.

Week 4: Run for 4 min. Walk for 1 min. Repeat 4 times.

Week 5: Run for 20 min.

In addition to doing these 2-3 times per week, I will do one run where I "test" how far/long I can run.

I also have a tendency to go too fast, so I'm going to aim for a pretty slow jogging pace. I have to remember that my legs are tiny and I can't necessarily go as fast as other people. In the past I've treadmilled the couch to 5k program at 5mph during the running intervals. I never made it past 6 minutes (6 minutes is my all time "record" for running without stopping). So I think I actually have to go slower than that. It feels weird, but from what I've read, if you get to a point where you just can't keep going no matter how long you train, you're going too fast. I apparently didn't look up good advice on the internet 7 years ago when I did that program or I might have been able to move past 6 min...

Scoring:

Run a full mile without stopping - A

Beat my previous all time "record" but miss the mile - C

Diet

I am a pescatarian and I'm on Weight Watchers. My past diet challenges have included eating more fresh fruits and vegetables and drinking plenty of water and even after the challenges concluded, I feel that I have kept up on both of these things fairly well. So I feel that I am eating healthier food, and I am losing weight, but s l o w l y. Sloooooooooowly. Time to kick it into high gear. I want to wear a kick ass costume for Halloween, so I want to hurry up and get this done. Weight Watchers has a system. You get x number of points for each day. Then for each week you have a pool of "cheat points". I LOVE cheat points. I love them a little too much, and this is why it's taking me for. ev. er. to get the weight off. (I'm averaging losing a pound a month)

Goal: Use fewer cheat points each week. (+2 CHA, +1 CON)

Scoring: I start each week with 49 cheat points.

A: Use 0-10 cheat points

B: Use 10-20 cheat points

C: Use 20-30 cheat points

D: Use 30-40 cheat points

F: Use more than 40 cheat points

Caveat: Week 1 I'm going to be in Florida for the first half of the week AND it's my husband's birthday. I'm not tracking food points that week. I'm not going to go hog wild and drink chocolate out of a fountain while eating an entire Cheesecake Factory meal, but I'm going to Harry Potter world and by golly I WILL have a butterbeer! I WILL eat a chocolate frog! And there most likely WILL be alcohol and cake... possibly pie involved at some point in the trip :) So this particular goal starts on Sunday Aug. 12th :)

Life

So... I totally quit my job to write and play music during the last challenge. Wow.

So I'm writing a novel - or more specifically, I'm working on the background of the novel right now. Characters, setting (it's on another planet so I have to like... invent another planet and stuff), storyline, scenes etc. All that jazz. The thing is at some point, I'd like to actually write the novel. So that's my goal - not to write the novel, are you insane?

Goal: Finish all the background stuff and be set to start writing the first draft before this challenge is over. (+2 WIS, +1 DEX, +1 CHA)

I think this is doable. My original goal was to have all of the background & characters done by the end of August, but I feel like that might be cutting it close - especially with Chris' birthday, my father-in-law's birthday, my birthday, a trip to Florida AND a trip to Minnesota in the mix (August is ALWAYS a crazy month). There are still a lot of questions to be answered and this is my first book, so I'll give myself a break and take until the end of the challenge. :) I'm so nice to me :)

Scoring: Pass/Fail

That's everything! Good luck to everyone!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

STR: 10 DEX: 8.5 STA: 11.5 CON:12.25 WIS:13.25 CHA:10

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

"You can’t wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a clubâ€

~ Jack London

So, will you be sharing the novel with us all as you write? :)

Ha ha No. :)

1st novel? I am fully prepared for it to be pretty bad, but you have to start somewhere and it CANNOT be any worse than some of the things I've read on Wattpad, so I already feel good about that and I haven't even started writing the first draft yet :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

I don't remember if I posted this here or not, so I'll post it now :)

My husband is a martial arts instructor and he is always trying to get me involved. I enjoy martial arts, and I am decent at it, but I won't attend his school because I'd have to call him 'sir' and avoid snarking at him in public. I love my husband and respect him very much, but... I am so sarcastic and I totally don't have that in me :) So we do tai chi at home and other fighty things that don't have to be done at the dojang.

Our latest?

Stage combat - specifically sword fighting. <------ link to blog post that demonstrates that a) I will probably never call my husband 'sir' and B) stage combat is the perfect sport.

So. Much. Fun. And active when you really get going with it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Woah totally thought I commented here already! Love your goals Stareyedgirl. So specific and focused! You're awesome.

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

I'm so happy for you! It's great that you're focusing on what you love doing. Way to go! That's a huge step to quit your job, but you only live once and only get once chance to do the things that make you happy :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Your blogpost truly made my day! it's like the cutest, and most useful, couple conversation I've read in ages.

Good luck with the challenge!

From the North, I am. Grammar applys here not.

Forest Elven Lightstalker Lv. 3

“Little by little, one travels farâ€.― J.R.R. Tolkien.

42%
42%

% of Available Sparklepoints Collected, Current Challenge

<p>

Well this is embarrassing... AND AWESOME!

So remember my "really hard goal" to run a mile for the first time in my life? Well after my return from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter where I thumbed my nose at my Weight Watchers diet for 3 days indulging in treats like butterbeer (not as sweet as I thought it would be), pumpkin juice (it's like every Thanksgiving dessert was juiced and put in a bottle - in other words... weird) and more french fries than you can shake a stick at (has nothing to do with Harry Potter, I just really like ketchup), I decided today was the day. I put on my running shoes, turned on a supply mission in Zombies, Run! and set the slowest running pace I could muster and still call running (I actually call it the shuffle-jog, but close enough) to see what my maximum running time is so I would know where to start.

And then I ran (shuffle-jogged) 1.75 miles.

So... that was anti-climactic. AND AWESOME BECAUSE I JUST RAN A MILE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE EVER!!!!

But now I don't know what to do about the goal. I sort of feel like I cheated... not knowingly, I just super duper underestimated how much stronger I am now than I was before.

I'll have to think about that...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Awesome goals! And way to go for finishing one of them already! Also, I'm really excited about your novel. As an aspiring musician I'm really happy to hear that you aren't afraid to do what you really love even if it is difficult and risky. You go girl!

Sorceress Druid

Level 2

[sTR] - 4.5 // [DEX] - 4.5 // [sTA] - 5.5 // [CON] - 3 // [WIS] - 8 // [CHA] - 4.5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. -E. A. Poe

Caveat: Week 1 I'm going to be in Florida for the first half of the week AND it's my husband's birthday. I'm not tracking food points that week. I'm not going to go hog wild and drink chocolate out of a fountain while eating an entire Cheesecake Factory meal, but I'm going to Harry Potter world and by golly I WILL have a butterbeer! I WILL eat a chocolate frog! And there most likely WILL be alcohol and cake... possibly pie involved at some point in the trip :) So this particular goal starts on Sunday Aug. 12th :)

Reading this just made me really happy. Personally, I think we SHOULD drink chocolate out of a fountain, whenever possible... unless it's a suspicious or scuzzy looking fountain... but I might still do it...

So... I totally quit my job to write and play music during the last challenge. Wow.

So I'm writing a novel - or more specifically, I'm working on the background of the novel right now. Characters, setting (it's on another planet so I have to like... invent another planet and stuff), storyline, scenes etc. All that jazz. The thing is at some point, I'd like to actually write the novel. So that's my goal - not to write the novel, are you insane?

Yay! Go you! This is AWESOME! Have fun inventing a planet. Such an exciting goal!
I put on my running shoes, turned on a supply mission in Zombies, Run! and set the slowest running pace I could muster and still call running (I actually call it the shuffle-jog, but close enough) to see what my maximum running time is so I would know where to start.

And then I ran (shuffle-jogged) 1.75 miles.

So... that was anti-climactic. AND AWESOME BECAUSE I JUST RAN A MILE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE EVER!!!!

What!?! This is AMAZING! I hope you're super proud of yourself. I love discovering previously unknown abilities--that you "unlocked" without knowing. So, are you going to create a new goal, not that you've conquered the one mile run?

I have to admit, this morning I was just catching up on your new challenge thread, and it just kept getting better and better! Just when I thought, "Oh, this is what I should comment on..." it would be followed by more awesomeness. Yes. You rock! Yay for Stareyedgirl!

A wandering bard, learning from the Druids
August 6 through September 17 Challenge
June 18 through July 30 Challenge
STR 4.5 | DEX 6 | STA 6 | CON 5 | WIS 6 | CHA 4
If I can't dance, I don't want to be in your revolution.

Aww thanks! I do think I'm going to set a "stretch" goal - kind of like they do when a Kickstarter account reaches its goal way early they set higher goals to increase interest. I want to keep it in the cardio realm of things, but I don't think I necessarily want to set another distance goal. As I've said earlier, I find running to be SUPER boring so I don't have a lot of interest in doing a 5k or whatever. However, I do love Zombies, RUN! It's not as much fun on a treadmill so I'll have to finish this season's episodes before the weather gets bad. To that end, I'd like to finish the storyline before the end of the challenge and run as much of each session as I can. It's slow, but maybe I'll get better :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Wow - you're challenges are brilliant - congratulations for completing your first goal already!

The novel sounds so exciting - and inspiring, I'm toying with going back to painting big-time and I love the fact that you've already quit your job to do what you really want - good luck!

Elfin Harvester, level 2 Druid monkSTR 6.75|DEX 3|STA 6|CON 5.25|WIS 5|CHA 5

Week in review:

Well... hmm. It was an interesting week to say the least.

Diet: Wasn't doing this this week because I spent half of it in Florida wallowing in restaurant food and butterbeer :)

Running: Beat my goal. Wasn't expecting that... I was actually thinking at the beginning of this challenge that I wouldn't be able to do it even after six weeks. Granted, I went v e r y s l o o o o o w l y, like 14 minute mile slowly. Shuffle-jog. But I made my goal. So I created a stretch goal where I'll finish this season of zombies, run before the end of the challenge. I have 11 missions left, so I'll have to average two runs a week to finish them all by the end of the challenge. Judging by how sore I was after the first one, I think that's a good interval :)

Yoga: Got a big fat F for the week. I did nothing. :) I'm ok with that for this week, though. I traveled and then caught up on my sleep and then did the running thing. I'll do stuff next week, I promise :)

Writing: Well. I wrote many things, and made progress on my world building. However, I completely changed the structure of the story, so I'm pretty much back to square one. So like one step forward ALL THE STEPS back. I'm ok with this, though. The way that it had been structured before left a big gap in the middle of everyone's stories and it would have been weird and awkward. This is better, the story is tighter, and better to change it now when I'm still outlining and making the characters then when I'm half way through my first draft. I'm antsy to start sorting out scenes and writing them, but I know that I need to put in the prep work, otherwise the first draft is going to be a hot mess and editing it will become something out of my worst nightmares. So while I do want to finish by my deadline for the challenge, I'm not going to rush it because I want the foundation to be solid first. I would just like to have both, please :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Umm congratulations! You are awesome! I like the shift as well to two runs a week- it looks like the zombie runs have really been paying off for you. Great work!

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Well, this week was... well it was a good week overall, but I didn't put in much time doing much physical. Oops.

Diet - A! I only used 10 cheat points. It was HARD. I don't think I'm going to make it this week, I've already used 5 and it's not even Tuesday yet. However, I did lose weight this week, which strengthens my suspicion that my rate of loss is so tiny because I use too many of my cheat points (... not exactly rocket science.)

Zombies - I did one episode! Unfortunately, I was supposed to do two. Oh well. I'll make it up later?

Yoga - D - I did one yoga session. Well... it wasn't an F like the first week! Yay me!

Writing - Lots of writing... not a lot of progress. I keep changing the story and the setting. At some point, I'm going to have to decide :)

I haven't had a whole lot of get-up-and-go physically for the last couple weeks. This challenge definitely does not seem to be moving along quite as well as the last two, but that's ok. I've radically changed my focus, and so I just need to figure out where working out fits in. I sit down to write or practice saying, oh I'll just do this little thing... and then 4 hours later, I'm like crap. I forgot to workout and now I'm STARVING and then I can't workout right after I eat something or it's heartburn city for me.

The solution, of course, would be to workout first, but then I'm like, oh no. I can't use working out as an excuse to not write or practice. Although, now it seems like I'm just using writing & practicing as an excuse to not workout. *sigh* if it's not one thing, it's another :)

Maybe I'll figure it out this week...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Week in Review - The Reckoning:

Well. What can I say about this week? I'm not even going to bother with the self-recriminations. I face-planted on activity, but first the good news!

Eating - I used between 10-20 cheat points this week so I got a B on the eating front.

Yoga - F! I did nothing. I kept meaning to, but the internet - or more specifically, Reddit - ate my whole damn week, and so yoga? Running? Didn't do them. Any of them.

Zombie Runs - 0

Writing - This goal is totally borked. Not that I haven't been writing, I totally have been. I've been plan plan planning away. Unfortunately, the book keeps shifting and changing forcing me to revise all of my background materials. It's only 3 weeks more, and I don't think I have a prayer of having all of the characters fleshed out before then. Not that I'm going to give up, I just don't see it happening because every time I write a character's summary, I discover 2 or 3 new characters that need to have something written and decided about them. There are also a ton of minor decisions that have to be made before I can start writing. I'll just keep moving forward and see where I land in mid-Sept. :)

This week is my birthday week, so yesterday my parents took me out for lunch, Friday they're taking me out for lunch again, Friday I'm probably going to do dinner out. Saturday, my in-laws are taking me out and Sat. night, we're going to a bar. I'm not even going to bother with WW this week. The bar alone could burn all of my cheat points, never mind the zillion eating-out adventures. I refuse to restrict calories when I know that at some point there will be cake and/or pie :) Mmmm. Pie. :)

Besides, I'm quite happy with my progress thus far - I have a galaxy dress from Black Milk Clothing that I LOVE, but it looked.... well, let's be honest, sausage-y before I started WW. I put it on Saturday and it looked Darn Good! I might even wear it out Sat. night if we go to the club. If I keep going at this rate, I'm going to be able to wear a Kick. Ass. Halloween costume.

So in conclusion, the challenge isn't going super great, however life is going pretty darn good.

For this weeks challenge, I identified that one of my major issues has been that when I wake up in the morning, I automatically waste time on the internet, and because it's not really planned, I waste more time than I intend to. My goal for the rest of the challenge is to get up, brush my teeth, go procure breakfast, and open my to do list manager and plan my day while eating my breakfast. Then I'll be set to make better choices about what I'm going to do for the rest of the day instead of losing half of it before it even starts.

I think that this will also help me get my exercising together because that has clearly been suffering with my new (non)schedule.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Week in review

It was my birthday this week! The week was awesome :)

Workouts? What are those? Weight Watchers? What?

That sums up my week. No yoga. I did one Zombie walk. Did not do weight watchers... because there was Birthday pie (key lime), and restaurants, and pizza, and more pizza :) It was fabulous.

I would love to say that I'm going to be back at it this week, however, I totally just had lasagna last night and brownies and oreo pie so... I feel like I'm probably not going to make it back onto the wagon this week either.

As far as writing goes, I've been writing away, but I've been trying out some different projects in addition to the big one so that I can gain experience and get better. So less work on the big one, but more experience overall.

I have been trying to get up and move around some more, and I'm thinking hard about what I'm going to do for the next challenge, because I feel like I just set the wrong types of goals this time around - I wasn't really thinking about what I was going to struggle with most when my whole routine changed.

As far as the weekly challenge of identifying a habit that has been counter productive, that's going really well. I had noticed that I would wake up, grab my phone and go on FB, pinterest, .... reddit, and then I'd blink and 2 hours had flown by without me having done anything. So I've been focusing on that one small thing this week, and it's made a big difference in my productivity. I thought it might help me exercise more, and I wasn't entirely incorrect about that, I've gone for a couple of walks with the hubby in the last couple of days, I helped my best friend put together a whole bunch of furniture, and I completely cleaned our entire first floor. I don't think I would have done all of those things if I had spent 2 hours laying in bed checking my e-mail every day.

So at least something is going well challenge-wise :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Great update! And happy late birthday!!! Isn't it interesting as you go through the challenge to see what still holds your interest and what you decide to work on instead? I used to do the same thing with the internet....such a time suck-er. As far as eating goes...every time you eat it's a choice. And it's harder to make the choices that are best for our bodies and energy when we fall back into habits of poor eating. But every meal/snack is an opportunity!! You are awesome.

Challenge in review!

This challenge was not the best for me, BUT life has been awesome in the last 6 weeks, so... I'm not totally heartbroken :) And I didn't totally faceplant. I did actually do some things. Some is better than none. I don't think I made it to the next level, but let's tally points and find out!

4 sessions of at least 20 minutes each per week. (+3 DEX)

I'll score this one weekly so that if I miss my 4 times, at least I get credit for what I did do.

A: 4 times B: 3 times C: 2 times D: 1 time F: none

This is a big giant F. I think one of the weeks I didn't get an F, but I don't think that's enough to warrant a point.

Goal: Run a mile without walking for the first time in my life. (+1 STR, +2 STA, +2 CON)

I did this one!!! Granted, it was in the first week and I feel a little like I cheated, but on the other hand, I ran a mile and I've never ever done that before in my 32 years of existing on this earth That deserves props. :)

Goal: Use fewer cheat points each week. (+2 CHA, +1 CON)

Scoring: I start each week with 49 cheat points.

A: Use 0-10 cheat points

B: Use 10-20 cheat points

C: Use 20-30 cheat points

D: Use 30-40 cheat points

F: Use more than 40 cheat points

I didn't do too bad on this one, actually. Well... I didn't fail it. :)

The first week I never planned to do it, so I'm not counting it in my average.

Week 2: A

Week 3: B

Week 4 & 5: F :(

Week 6: C

That averages out to a high D, almost a C, but alas, D. So I get .5 CHA & .25 CON

Goal: Finish all the background stuff and be set to start writing the first draft before this challenge is over. (+2 WIS, +1 DEX, +1 CHA)

/facepalm I did NOT come anywhere close to this goal. I set the goal too early in the planning procedure, this was before I discovered that I'm actually writing a trilogy, split it up into three separate books. So if nothing else, I've learned a great deal about goal setting and the writing process during this challenge so I'm going to go ahead and give myself +1 WIS, because my next life goal is going to be WAY better. :)

Points gained:

+1 STR

+2 STA

+2.25 CON

+.5 CHA

+1 WIS

Final stats:

STR: 8 DEX: 4.5 STA: 9.5 CON:10.25 WIS:13.25 CHA:9

I would have needed 60 total points to make it to level 4, but I only have around 55, so no level up this time.

Onward an upward. To the next challenge!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 4 Fairy Druid

My Challenge Thread

My Challenge Spreadsheet

~ Jack London

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines