Pickles embrace rangerdom challenge.

PicklesEBF

A little about me.

I am a 31 year old firefighter-paramedic in the peoples republic of Illinois. I work for two departments. One full time, and one part time. Combining that work schedule with an attempt at a social life makes for interesting times when it comes to prioritizing fitness.

I had some nice, reasonable goals last challenge. Unfortunately, attempting one of my goals aggravated an old shoulder injury. That pretty much took me out of the hunt completely. I still managed to drop 7lbs though.

My primary goal is to embrace a healthier lifestyle. I'm a lot less sedentary since my last challenge, despite failing spectacularly at most of my goals.

My goals for this challenge are centered on embracing what I consider to be some primary ranger charasteristics, within the realm of rehabbing my busted ass shoulder.

Goal #1 "A Ranger should be able to travel great distances to deliver a message or join in a battle."

Put in a minimum of 200 total miles on by bicycle before the end of the challenge. (Average of 40 miles per week, minus vacation week.)

(+3 STA, +1 WIS)

Goal #2 "A Ranger should be able to cover a good distance in a short amount of time."

Beat my 5K PR in an organized race. (29:35) (Gonna happen Sept 30th.)

(+1 STR, +2 STA, +1 DEX)

Goal #3 "A Ranger should be fully capable of living off the land."

PALEO! I will complete the Primal Blueprint 21 day challenge (Dietary portion only.) before the end of this challenge.

(+2 CON, +1 WIS)

Goal #4 "A Ranger should be well versed in unconventional warfare and transportation."

GET OUT AND PLAY! Once a week I will get out and do something fun and active for a MINIMUM of an hour. Be it a trip to the shooting range, a paddleboarding lesson, going swimming, going kayaking, going in the back yard and throwing tomahawks. At least an hour of active play time each week.

(+1 STR, +1 DEX, +1 STA, +1 WIS)

*IMPORTANT NOTE*

September 11th-18th I will be in Tennessee for a Belegarth event. All I'm gonna be able to work on that week is my running and sticking to paleo. Some alcohol will be consumed. Kayaks will be paddled, which will fulfil my requirement for goal #3

Best of luck to you all.

PicklesHalf-Ogre Ranger6'3" 220lbsSTR-5 DEX-7 STA-8 CON-7 WIS-6 CHA-3That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger.

Hiya Pickles! The goals look good.

What are the details of the 21 day challenge? I don't have Mark's book yet, but is it similar to the Whole30 or the 21 day sugar detox I've seen paleo bloggers doing? If so, there are a lot of us doing the Whole30 this challenge, and it may help to jump in on the Whole30 support thread.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Well. This paleo thingy started out on the right foot. I only had 11 things in my pantry and a bottle of mustard in the fridge when I finished the clean out. :-O

I was either in a grocery store or in the kitchen all day, so no bicycle action, hoping to get a quick ride in after my meeting tonight. Homemade mayo was a DISASTER! Might try it again soon though. I want tuna salad!!!!!

Day 1 week 1 of C25K before I leave work, I may jump ahead a couple weeks, depending on how it goes.

Sloth. They have me doing internal and external rotational exercises with the theraband, and shoulder blade pinches for my upper back. I go back to the therapist thursday and they will hopefully change that up.

PicklesHalf-Ogre Ranger6'3" 220lbsSTR-5 DEX-7 STA-8 CON-7 WIS-6 CHA-3That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger.

Have Fun at Physical Torture, I feel for you. I have spent the last two years getting my shoulder to manageable level. Primal has changed how I eat a lot but I can now get through the day with out a case of energy drinks. It might be tough at first but it is worth it.

Space Alien Ranger GallifreyanSTR: 12.2 DEX: 9.5 STA: 10.68 CON:11.58 WIS:10 CHA:11.68

The first to help you up are the ones who knows how it feels to fall down.- Fbook Picture

Knocked out C25K without a hitch. Then put 7 miles in on the bike, be cause I can. Got the blueberries and apples out of the food dehydrator. Yum!

Wow. All I ate was 2 sliced tomatoes sprinkled with creole seasoning for dinner yesterday, and it was AWESOME!

Also jumped my first big diet hurdle. Some kind soul brought a tray of costco blueberry muffins in to the firehouse. I ADORE blueberry muffins! I managed to resist, and found blueberry muffin flavored larabars at the store. Kinda dodged that one. Whew!

Well, the weather is looking kind of bipolar today. Might have to skip the bike ride and run instead. Make it up next week. I also had a nightmare that I cheated on my diet. Which was kinda odd........

I also had a nightmare that I cheated on my diet. Which was kinda odd........

Oh, those are so weird. When I stopped eating sugar, I would have nightmares where I binged on an entire bag of chocolate chip cookies, or solo ate a dozen chocolate old-fashioned donuts in one sitting. I would wake up in a panic and it would take a few minutes before I realized that those things had not actually happened.

Congrats on turning up your nose at the muffins. Blueberry muffins? Pshaw!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Thats exactly what it was, only it was a pint of ice cream. I woke up in a cold sweat.

I suppose if my cravings only happen when I'm asleep I'm ahead of the curve......

Also, knocked out a week 2 C25K workout with no problem. I might try a week 3 one tomorrow, since I won't be able to run over the weekend.

AND! My physical therapist added three exercises and two stretches to my home routine. PROGRESS!

Whelp. Spent the day wandering the ren faire yesterday. Fun, active, AND I stuck to the diet the entire time! Also, found a grocery store that is cheaper than where I was going and it has everything I need! EPIC success.

Whelp. Learned a valuable lesson today. If I intend to ride more than 20 miles on the bicycle I need to eat breakfast the morning of, whether or not I'm hungry.

On the plus side, I leveled up in the physical therapy game. THEN rode 26 miles on the bike. YEE-HAW!

Really good going with your progress so far, both with dietary & fitness - nice one! Is it worth taking a small snack along for the pre-breakfast bike rides? (I'm not familiar with PB 21 challenge, but thinking something like some nuts, or a baggie of cooked chicken, etc)

I love the style your goals, almost like you've taken them out of the Official Ranger Handbook and made them your own - epic :)

I wish you speedy (but thorough) recovery with your shoulder.

L3 (Pending) Half-Elf Ranger
STR :: 9 | DEX :: 6 | STA :: 6 | CON :: 6 | WIS :: 10 | CHA :: 3.5

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.

Yeah, the bike ride was not pre-breakfast, I diden't hit the trail until noon. I sometimes just don't have an appetite for breakfast after my coffee and coconut milk. When I try the epic bike ride of epicness next week I'm gonna force some breakfast down no matter what. I was too pooped to move at mile 20. I always take some trailmix and larabars when I ride.

I am CRUSHING the nutritional portion of this challenge. It just came so easy. I just walked past a tray of cookies at the firehouse this evening without giving them a second look.

Thanks for checking in Rich. It's nice to hear encouraging words once in a while. :)

Oh boy. 2 hour paddleboarding lesson. Then 3 hours of nonstop belegarth. My shoulder may hate me tomorrow, but I don't care right now......

Completely misunderstood your bike ride timing... & there I was thinking "Damn, this guy just cranks out a 20 mile bike ride, before breakfast???" :) Definitely get that breakfast down you, It'll certainly help reduce any energy plateaus.

Running, cycling, paddle boarding, and medieval combat... I need to get out more!!

Nice work avoiding the cookies :)

L3 (Pending) Half-Elf Ranger
STR :: 9 | DEX :: 6 | STA :: 6 | CON :: 6 | WIS :: 10 | CHA :: 3.5

Previous Challenges:

2 | 1

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.

Well. Kind of took it easy today. Just did my therapy work. Yesterday was a bit strenous. I did enjoy a Jiimy Johns unwich for dinner. Only my second time eating out in 2 weeks. Very proud of myself.

Well. I have not been home to get on the scale, but I still feel FANTASTIC on this diet.

I put in three hours of fighting on saturday, shoulder held up well and fun was had by all.

I managed to get to a good massage therapist, what a difference it made. The shoulder feels like a million bucks today. Also, therapy is going great.

Monday and tuesday are gonna be running days if it keeps raining, but I should be able to sneak in a 30 miler on thursday if the weather cooperates.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Wowie kazowie, Pickles! It is just so great to read about all of the huge positives here.

Diet crushage? Check.

Shoulder repairage? Check.

Bicycle-running-funtime? Check.

Keep it up! You are doing SO GREAT!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines