Phylanx go!

Relic

Challenge #3 for Phylanx the Ent scout!

I am very happy with how the last challenge went. I ran faster, recovered better, and got my lifting back on track. Now it's time to turn up the heat! (but not too much, I don't want to start a forest fire)

Goals...

#1 Faster, faster!

*run a 5:10 mile*

I'll be running hard 2-3 days a week plus a bunch of easy running

current mile : 5:20

#2 Stronger, stronger!

*total 750lb using 5rep weights*

(deadlift, squat, and overhead press)

2 heavy lifting days a week should get me there

starting total : 695 (315,245,130)

current total : 710 (325,245,140)

#3 Level up my camp shoes

*tougher barefootedness*

there's a rough road by my brothers house that

I will use to test my toughness. A subjective

score of 1-10 (painful-cushy) will be used.

#4 Time for management ... of time!

2 days per week be efficient with my use of time

I will make schedules to help me out and write a

list of the productive things I did for the day

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

thanks KG

Hey how's the recovery going?

Would you be apposed to me starting a marathon relay thread in the PvP section?

Something like "your fastest half marathon + mine by the end of the challenge"

(I'm not running one every week but the option to try more than once might be nice)

thanks, I used the last challenge to see where I was at, and see how much I could improve, then I just set the bar just barely within reach (hopefully).

barefoot benchmark! I'll rate this a 7

walked by my brother's house. About a mile on rough road. Moved to smoother surface for part of it, my feet warmed up, and I was able to finish the last half on the rough part of the road.

Walking around my house (hard flooring) is less comfortable than normal. (yay!)

Good practice

I like the goals. Why specifically are you working hard on real barefootedness? I'm curious.

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wherever you go, there you are.

FSJJunkie (FSJ = Full Size Jeep)

Spartan Scout w/ assassin tendencies

STR:7.75 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:5 WIS:7.5 CHA:4

Multisport Athlete (Triathlon/Duathlon/Offroad Triathlon/Adventure)

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

:biggrin-new::nevreness:'cause I'm a nerd!

haha, but really, a bunch of reasons.

I went camping/backpacking a bunch when I was younger, and in camp it's so much more convenient when you can go swimming and not have to cart your shoes around(just get out of the water and walk on rocks/ sticks).

I think it would be really bada$$ to run a marathon or ultra without shoes.

My brother can run 10 miles on rough asphalt barefoot (sibling competition).

It would be cool if I didn't have to buy any more running shoes.

thanks KG

Hey how's the recovery going?

Would you be apposed to me starting a marathon relay thread in the PvP section?

Something like "your fastest half marathon + mine by the end of the challenge"

(I'm not running one every week but the option to try more than once might be nice)

Sure! Let's do it!

The hamstring felt pretty good on Sunday's run, tight but definitely better than it was.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

The week's going pretty well...

I had a great heavy workout on Tue

a few easy runs, a few hard runs and two walks

time to work on my life goal

here's my being productive schedule for Fri ..

morning :

clean cat box, do some dishes, change/ feed son, cut/ prep shelving

noon :

jog to gym, swim, jog home, foam roll, eat, nap, fold laundry/ put away

after work :

go straight to shower and then bed

(tendency to listen to music after getting off work @2:30am)

*edit*

I didn't work on the shelving or swim, but I did fix my car (battery issue) and everything else on the list was done so not terrible. I will get through today and make Sunday my second productive day

ran to/ from work barefoot today. It felt pretty good and I ran in the street where I could. Next barefoot feat will be a local hill with rougher asphalt than my path to work.

productivity for tomorrow...

am :

cut shelving pieces, do dishes, clean cat box, clean toilet, go swimming

pm

drive home, clean other toilet, do dishes, put shelf up

I'm taking my mother in-law to the airport so I'll have to work fast/ efficient to get stuff done. My wife usually drives, so I'll offer to drive home.

*edit*

didn't do any work on the shelves but I did everything else plus took out all trash

I was able to swim about a mile (with many, many breaks) after not swimming for over a year. Very happy with that.

Just updated my strength total from 685 to 700

you're crushing the barefooting! keep it up. nice effort. And running to work, that's like an added bonus.

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wherever you go, there you are.

FSJJunkie (FSJ = Full Size Jeep)

Spartan Scout w/ assassin tendencies

STR:7.75 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:5 WIS:7.5 CHA:4

Multisport Athlete (Triathlon/Duathlon/Offroad Triathlon/Adventure)

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

you're crushing the barefooting! keep it up. nice effort. And running to work, that's like an added bonus.

Thanks! I'm really curious how fast feet can toughen up so it'll be a good test.

I am so glad I figured out tht I could run to work, I have to leave 10 minutes earlier, but then I get my run in and I'm forced to run back even if I really don't want to.

So I went swimming on Sunday with very mild sore throat. I made it about a mile (2-4 laps at a time) and it felt great. On Monday, however I was sick. My mother in-law got it from a co-worker, she visited us, gave it to my wife who gave it (lovingly) to me. It was a mild 2-3 day thing for them so I should be pretty much over it today (I'm already feeling decent). My exercising will be mild this week with some walking, jogging, planking, and maybe an easy lifting session. I hope to be full bore next week. Not ideal, but could have been much worse.

Anyway, it's life goal time...

Thursday will be productive day #1 for this week.

As per Steve's post, I am listing the 3 biggest tasks that I want done and nothing else. If I do them all, and have more productivity left in me then I will do more, if not, I will still have done the big 3 so no loss at all. It's productivity ninja time!

shelf - put that shelf together that I have been meaning to for a week. This will give our kitchen a little more storage for the pots and pans my wife just got. (I'm trying real hard to appreciate them)

laundry - to use the Spezzy meme..."DO ALL THE LAUNDRY!!" mine, my wife's, my son's, the bedding, and the towels. I'll have to make more laundry soap, but that's not hard.

trim - some of the trim came up from my flooring and it needs to be glued back down. Not a very hard job, but if my son is around he'll end up 'helping'... I'll have to do it during nap time or something.

before...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5209[/ATTACH]

and after!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5210[/ATTACH]

spinach, broccoli, cucumber, and olive oil with a big cup of whole milk.

I should eat like this more.

post-6582-13567244791456_thumb.jpg

post-6582-13567244792489_thumb.jpg

I'm in sick limbo...

I don't feel sick, per se, but I woke up feeling like I had a hangover without the headache.

So I walked a route by my house(slowly). It is about 3 miles and more than half if it is on somewhat rough asphalt. Did I mention I was barefoot? 'cause I was.

The walk went well from a barefooting standpoint, but I still feel like blegh. I hope my son takes a good long nap today because I work late tonight. (in other words, I wanna nap!)

Coppied from my log...

8-19

Sun

bench x5 @185,195

press 135 x3

deadlift static hold 320lb x15 sec

pretty easy/short workout after getting sick. Felt good. Benching like a powerlifter is fun.

8-20

Mon

run 6 miles (4 easy, 2 moderate)

I was going to do the last 2 miles at a hard pace but...

A.) I didn't think it was a good idea seeing that it is my first run after being sick

B.) I haven't been working endurance so this was enough (no 'too much too soon')

C.) I 'didn't wanna'

I liked this run though, next time I push my last two miles HARD.

Last week I realized that there is a 5k/10k here in Gilroy, "Run for the stinkin' roses".

It is a pretty small race (<300 runners). It's at the end of this month and I kind of want to enter it, but more than that, I have a new long term goal ... I was looking at the last few years race results and it looks like if I could run a sub 18min 5k, I would have a great chance of winning. Totally doable in a year! Maybe even barefoot! It's practically too tempting not to go for it. Haha, in the word of my sister : "What a dork!"

8-21

Tue

barefoot run to work 2 miles

this was the first barefoot run that I've done where I felt like I was not held back by my feet. They're sore, but they were not holding me back.

walked home, took a 1/2 mile detour through a park with gravel paths. Good barefoot day, my feet are getting tougher ...

PS - I'm still deciding whether I'm going to sign up for a local 5k but if I do, I think I'll be doing it barefoot. (hehe)

Wed

gym workout

I'm still refining my workouts...

My goal is to be in and out of the gym in 45 minutes. Right now it's 1-1.5 hours

My back is acting up again, I need to restart my daily mobility...

and never stop

do you think the barefooting is affecting your back? i.e. - tightness in the posterior chain?

It's possible, but I don't think so, it's more mid-upper back stiffness this week. My best guess is that my job sets me up for repetitive stress injuries and that, pared with hard workouts sometimes pushes my body over the edge. Also, I have not been massaging my back on all of my breaks lately (I keep a ball in my locker) It makes for a less restful break, but I guess it make a big difference for my overall recovery.

In the past I have had low back pain for a week until I remembered to check my hamstrings. I found the knots and was back to 100% in less than 5 minutes.

It's funny how I forget to do something that works so well sometimes.

Okay, haven't updated in a long while...

I've been (mostly) keeping up with my gym workouts. I did find out that my form was off on the press so I lowered the weight and moved to flaring my elbows more until I can get the mobility to do it with my elbows more forward. I also lowered all of my other working weights so that I wasn't going to failure on all my heavy lifts (leave one rep in the tank). I was getting too competitive with myself and my form was breaking down because I barely had enough in me to finish my sets. I have decided that progressing slower without getting hurt is more important than making my end of year goals on time.

My running has been going well. I missed a few runs, but no big breaks. Yesterday I ran 8x 400m (2:00 rest) at a 5:20mile pace. After doing that, I feel confident in a 5:20 mile, and hopeful/fearful of a 5:10 mile by the end of this challenge(because I should be able to do it but it should be the most painful mile I've ever ran). Oh, and I have my endurance bug again thanks to Barefoot Dawsy. A few years ago I could run over 10 miles without much effort(and I'd regularly run two 11 mile runs in a day) but now 7 miles is an endurance stretcher for me. I ran two 6 mile runs in the last 2 weeks and it reminded me how much I enjoy longer runs.

I've made a ton of progress building tougher feet. I did a few runs and walks barefoot and my last run (the 8x 400m) was done barefoot without slowing me down(double bonus, my calfs weren't beat up from it either). It was on a paved bike path, so no gravel or rocks to worry about, but I would have ran it slower or stopped early at the start of the challenge, so big progress there.

That leaves me with my last goal of *sigh* productivity. Not going well. There was a good reason that this was my doppleganger for the last challenge. I think that this goal is suffering so bad because I don't actually enjoy it. If I'm tired or short on time this is the first thing to get cut. I have been a little more productive with doing dishes and laundry, so I haven't completely ignored this goal, but as far as 2 days a week of productiveness, nope.

That's it for now, next week I'll test my mile and run my half of the marathon relay (KG, are you ready?) here we go!

Right now, mornings seem to be my best shot at being productive. I just have to get up when I wake up and start doing stuff right away. This morning I got up, got my son out of his crib, cleaned the cat box, made my son breakfast, did all the dishes, and swept the kitchen. I wasn't even trying to be productive, but I had momentum and didn't stop so I'm pretty happy with that. I actually got so carried away with the cleaning that I left for work later than I wanted and had to abbreviate my gym workout. Call it a positive downside.

Anyways, It looks like my lifting will not be where I wanted it to be by the end of next week but my running is progressing about like I hoped, I'm locking foward to my mile test next week.

9-12 Wed

run 800m, rest 3:00

run 800m, walk 400m

run 800m

800s done in 2:41,2:39, and 2:40

I was shooting for 2:35. I figured that if I could do that, a 5:10 mile would be within reach but I ran 10 sec/mile slower. Hmmm... I might not make it, but I'll give it a shot anyway. (it's gonna be painful)

I didn't have a diet goal for this challenge, but...my wife will not be very happy to know that her garbage disposal (that's me!) is going to cut out processed foods and gluten. Last night I was up for a few hours with indigestion. It was awful. Maybe I'm just wimpy because I almost never have those kind of problems but it felt like someone punched me in the solar plexus or I had a hernia or something. I finally threw up a few times and it felt better to the point that I could go to sleep. I DON'T want that to happen again, so I'm changing things up to see how it goes. I'm also very curious to see if I get better sleep and how it effects my energy. Wish me luck and expect to see it as a future goal.

My productivity goal pretty much went out the window this challenge, BUT, I was (a little) more productive then in the past so I may actually be getting partial credit. Yesterday my wife had me put in a drainage system in the back yard and build a big planter box that I lined with gravel (550lb worth) so I got some exercise and was productive at the same time!

Also, I have been using a tree in my front yard to hang by one arm to practice my grip strength when I'm not at the gym. I've been doing it about every other day, just hanging for about as long as I can on each side for 1-3 sets. Today before work, I tried it and lasted for 8 seconds with strength to spare. I wasn't getting more than 5 seconds before so first off, I'm excited that it's working, and second, I hope this helps my grip when I deadlift on Saturday. (my grip always fails first, even with chalk/mixed grip)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines