Librarian of Doom's Undercover Challenge

Standing in the gates of the Rebel camp, Ari looked longingly back. Although the work had been hard, her months training with the Rangers had been among the best of her life. But the war was ongoing, and, like any army, the Rebellion needed information, and she had volunteered

Sighing deeply, Ari shouldered her pack and set off toward the city. For the next few months, she would be undercover in the heart of the Empire, gathering information for the Rebellion. Who would suspect an archivist and storyteller of being a Rebel?

As she moved down the road, Ari began to plan. Continuing her training while maintaining her cover would be tricky, but it could be done. She knew she was ready for the challenge

All this storytelling is contagious, guys :)

Character Name: Librarian of Doom/LoD/Ari (more thematically appropriate to the story)

Race: Hobbit

Class: Ranger

Stats:

STR 10.25

DEX 10

STA 7.5

CON 3.75

WIS 6.25

CHA 6.5

Past Progress:

Going back a little further with these to tell the story

Me at my heaviest non-pregnant, most sedentary weight; about 275-280

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4865[/ATTACH]

Me after C was born, about 20lbs lighter, still very sedentary.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4866[/ATTACH]

Me at the beginning of getting fit; about 230 lbs, still very sedentary

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4867[/ATTACH]

Me at the end of last challenge. Still about 230 lbs, but oh, the difference :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4868[/ATTACH]

Goals:

1. Make contact with the underground (Complete CrossFit on-ramp class) +2 STR, +2 STA

I recently found out that there is actually a CrossFit box in my sleepy college town. For financial reasons (summer + teacher = broke) I haven't been able to start yet, but I'm hoping to do the two-week on-ramp class starting August 13th. If I'm not able to start then, there will be another starting the 27th. I don't know if CF is something I'd want to do long-term, but the only way to find out is to try.

Grading: Class completed = A; Class not completed due to injury = C; Class not completed for any other reason = F

2. Scout escape routes (Finish my first 5k in less than an hour) +3 STA

I have completed 6 weeks of C25k. I have plans to run the 5k at the local balloon festival with family and possibly some friends as well. My C25k time usually averages 16-17 min/mile, so 5k in under an hour should be doable (I've been practicing on similarly hilly terrain to the actual course; for the next two Sundays I'm going to try to run on the actual course to get a feel for it).

Grading: Finished, less than an hour = A; Finished, more than an hour = B; Did not finish due to injury = C; Did not finish because of being a wimp = F

3. Forage for provisions (Pack lunch + snacks every school day; protein, veggies, fruits) +2 CON, +2 WIS

I'm pretty good about this 98% of the time (mostly because I'm a picky eater and don't like the cafeteria food), but there are sometimes days when there's nothing to pack, and I'm tired and feeling stressed, so Husband of Doom brings me fast food for lunch. Trying to avoid this here. High-quality protein, veggies, fruits. Snacks are especially important, since my schedule has lunch at different times on different days, so I'll need the snacks to keep from going all Library Nazi on the kids. There are 26 school days this challenge; that's 26 days high-quality lunches & snacks. Totally doable!

Grading: 23-26 days = A; 19-22 = B; 13-18 = C; 9-12 = D; 8 or fewer = F

4. Fight off vermin (spend 5-10 minutes on dishes/cleaning the kitchen every day) +2 CON, +2 WIS

I had good success with my "shining my sink" challenge last time, but I don't feel like the habit is really ingrained. Also, our new house had some foundation issues in the past, which made openings for ants and roaches. We're waging a mighty battle, with the help of the Orkin man, but keeping the kitchen clean (or as clean as possible with two toddlers) can only help. Plus, having dishes under control a) makes me feel good and B) will make lunch packing easier.

Grading: 37-42 days = A; 31-36 days = B; 25-30 days = C; 19-24 days = D; 18 or fewer = F

All right, Rangers! Let's do this!!!

post-5627-13567244586142_thumb.jpg

post-5627-13567244586586_thumb.jpg

post-5627-13567244587093_thumb.jpg

post-5627-13567244588852_thumb.jpg

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Good goals - I bet you surpass them all. I think you'll come in under 45 mins for the 5k.

Nomad Ranger

Height 6'3†(190cm)

Weight 220lbs (100kg)

Waist 40†(102cm)

Age 29

STR 3 DEX 2

STA 3 CON 5

WIS 6 CHA 2

The Ranger must strike from the shadows, appearing today where the enemy expects him tomorrow. He strikes like the hawk, breaking his prey with a single blow yet above all must also have the wisdom to know when and why he must attack

My Current Challenge. Killing 2000 boars

My first (failed) challenge

As Oliveras repacked his kit after a break to eat, he spied Ari headed down the path past him. His mind made up, he stepped onto the path beside her, nodded a greeting and fell in step beside the determined Hobbit. The city was on his route as it was, and two blades are better than one in such perilous times

I loved your story, thought I'd join in as a way of adding my support for your quest! Goals look awesome, good luck, with you all the way!

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

STR-12 DEX- 8 STA- 16 CON- 9 WIS- 14 CHA- 7'We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass'Find me on Twitter

Swim Coach at City of Southampton Swimming Club, CF coach at CrossFit Solent

Awesome goals! Looking forwarding to doing this challenge with you, Librarian!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

I'm so excited to see so many people running there first 5Ks during this challenge...because so am I. Keep with your C25K. I just finished the program, and man, what a sense of accomplishment. Good luck with all your goals!

Lvl 8 Half-Orc Warrior
STR: 25 | DEX: 11.75 | STA: 9.75
CON: 13.5 | WIS: 10.75 | CHA: 3

Challenge | DAI-GURREN | Stop Smoking

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding. - TMBG

Pay the Iron Price. - Balon Greyjoy

I love the storytelling and how you introduce your goals as part of the story!

I also like how you wrote down the grading criteria, looks like that will make it much easier once the challenge starts. I may go and add something like for my goals.

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Yea for story tellers!!!!! I have been a dungeon master for D&D games, write collaborative fiction, and am developing educational games. I LOVE the narrative portion of all of these.

Excellent goals, and I'm looking forward to your experiences with the CrossFit on ramp. As far as I know, we don't have one, but maybe I should dig a little more. At the moment, the water exercise class is kicking my butt! :highly_amused:

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

Yea! So happy you are back. This will be a good challenge for the start of school!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I've been loving the storytelling so far, but you took it to a new level of awesome with your goals! Is there anything in life that can't be made better by turning it into an RPG?

Thanks! I think everything would be better as an RPG, too!

Good goals - I bet you surpass them all. I think you'll come in under 45 mins for the 5k.

Thanks! I don't know if I have your faith in me, but we'll see how it goes!

As Oliveras repacked his kit after a break to eat, he spied Ari headed down the path past him. His mind made up, he stepped onto the path beside her, nodded a greeting and fell in step beside the determined Hobbit. The city was on his route as it was, and two blades are better than one in such perilous times

I loved your story, thought I'd join in as a way of adding my support for your quest! Goals look awesome, good luck, with you all the way!

Thanks! The support and teamwork here is so, so helpful for me!

Awesome goals! Looking forwarding to doing this challenge with you, Librarian!

Likewise!!!

LOD. I know you can crush that 5k. I also graduated C25K and all I can say is, you're probably gonna surprise yourself with how well you do.

Thanks! I sure hope so!

Wooo! CrossFit on-ramp! Excited to see how that goes!

Me, too!!! I'm so excited for it!!!!!

I'm so excited to see so many people running there first 5Ks during this challenge...because so am I. Keep with your C25K. I just finished the program, and man, what a sense of accomplishment. Good luck with all your goals!

Thanks! good luck with your 5k!!!

I love the storytelling and how you introduce your goals as part of the story!

I also like how you wrote down the grading criteria, looks like that will make it much easier once the challenge starts. I may go and add something like for my goals.

Thanks! Yeah, I kept not grading myself as strictly as I felt I should in the end, so this time I have the criteria laid out clearly. No more waffling.

Great goals and Amazing story telling! I'm going to have to work on mine because I am majorly jealous!

Thanks! I decided to dip my toe in the storytelling waters this time.

Yea for story tellers!!!!! I have been a dungeon master for D&D games, write collaborative fiction, and am developing educational games. I LOVE the narrative portion of all of these.

Excellent goals, and I'm looking forward to your experiences with the CrossFit on ramp. As far as I know, we don't have one, but maybe I should dig a little more. At the moment, the water exercise class is kicking my butt! :highly_amused:

I kind of came across ours at random; they don't really advertise. Water exercise is deceptively difficult; it's so cool that you have access for free :)

Yea! So happy you are back. This will be a good challenge for the start of school!

Thanks! I tried to keep it doable, since I knew that school will probably kick my butt.

Yes! I like it! I originally had a "pack good snack" goal, but bumped it when I saw this challenge's rules. But, still a struggle. So we'll do it together!

Good luck getting started with CF and with your first 5k!

Thanks! I needed to be more accountable with my food during the school day; I thought about some other diet goals, but I think this one will push me in the right direction. Nice to have a buddy with the same goals!!!

Current Challenge

Kergan watched Ari as she jogged effortlessly through the dark woods. Her easy grace and confidence intoxicating.

"there's a girl worth keeping an eye on..." he thought and trotted after her, just to see what sort of adventures she got herself into.

Sorry for hijacking the story thread.

Ari had thought her time in the city would be lonely, but she realized that with comrades like Oliveras and Kergan to help her, this mission would go much more easily than she had expected

Hijack away! The collaborative storytelling is great fun :)

Good luck Librarian Of Doom!

Thanks!

Wow. Your pics are amazing. Good luck with the new goals.

Thank you! It didn't really hit me until I went back and looked at the pictures how far I really have come. I've got a ways to go, but I can do it!!!

Ari had expected to walk much of the road toward the city. To her surprise, she found it relatively easy to maintain a steady, ground-eating jog. It seems her training sessions around the rebel camp had prepared her better than she thought.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE I've talked to about my plans to do the 5k have told me how hilly the course is. When I searched for the actual course map, one of the first hits was a blog post about how hilly the course is. So, in order to prepare myself, I drove out to the course for this morning's run (C25k Week 7 Day 1)

391374_788531485134_451735091_n.jpg

I knocked a minute or so off of my average pace per mile, and went about a quarter mile further than my furthest previous distance. I had a small snack of grapes and cashews (leftover child snacks that were in my purse) beforehand, when I usually run fasted, so I think that was small enough not to weigh my stomach down, but enough to give me a little more fuel in the tank. But I also think that the 5k course is not quite as hilly as the area in my neighborhood where I've been running.

A good pre-challenge day!!!

Current Challenge

But I also think that the 5k course is not quite as hilly as the area in my neighborhood where I've been running.

I love those nice surprises. My neighborhood's also pretty hilly, and I think running on that terrain on a regular basis definitely helps me when race time comes.

Eth - Level 8 Breton Warrior

STR 24.5 | DEX 9 | STA 20.5 | CON 13 | WIS 10.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: The Warrior Within | Fitocracy

Main quest progress:

44%
44%

I love the story line! Can't wait to hear more about your covert mission into the heart of the Empire. If things get too hairy, just remember you've got an army of Rebels ready to send you tons of support!

WOW-re: the pictures-definitely two very different 230lbs! Here's to seeing where this challenge takes you on your epic quest! And I'm so glad you kept the "shine the sink" challenge. We also suffer from an ant epidemic, but they seem to have retreated for the winter. Come summer I may have to employ your strategies to combat their invasion!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Aaw maaaan! I really wish I'd gone to the effort of creating a story now - yours is great!

Nice to see another kitchen based life goal, it's amazing what a difference keeping mine under control makes to my overall mental outlook!

Here's to clean worktops and shiny sinks ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Half-Elf Apprentice Ranger

STR : 3.5 || DEX : 1.5 || STA : 2.5 || CON : 2 || WIS : 3 || CHA : 2.5

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines