Dillpedo Torpedo's "I'm a Hot Shot (Part Deux)" Challenge

Wolverine

60 second frog stand-that is awesome!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Sunday's Training

• Sledge Warmup: 3 Sets x 6 Reps Each Side - Torso Twist, Boat Row, Back Scratch, Hail Reinhard
  • Sledge Circuit: 3 Sets x 6 Reps Each Side - John Henry, Paul Bunyan, Scythe Swing, Orville Redenbacher, Shovel, 3 Level Spear Thrust
  • 30 Sec. Jump Rope + 1 Min. Jog x 6 Sets

Sunday's Diet

• 2017 calories
  • 74 g protein

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Elbow Lever!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Week 3 Recap

Goal 1: Workout Every Other Day

The Assassin's Challenge this week and a wife who is interested in working out with me has me retooling this particular goal. From here on out, this goal will be to workout at least four times per week.

I got in 3 workouts this week. Should have been 4, dangit!

Being out sick for the first two weeks hurt me a lot, but I fully plan on coming back and making a lot of headway on this one for the rest of the challenge. I'm having fun with this one even though I'm failing. :)

Grade as of Week 3 = 50% - F

Goal 2: 1700-1900 Calories and at least 90 g Protein

Once again, my first two sick weeks hurt me a lot here, but I'm getting much better. Still need to get more protein, though!

Average Calories for Week 3: 1,713

Average Protein for Week 3: 82

Grade as of Week 3 = 95% - A

Goal 3: Limit Unnecessary Spending

We went to a seafood and art festival this weekend and I totally bought a sweatshirt without even thinking about it. Damn. There goes my perfect streak!

Grade as of Week 3 = 95% - A

Goal 4: Keep the Momentum Going (Track, Floss, Shave, Love)

Tracked all of my food this week, flossed every day, shaved yesterday, and was active and encouraging on the boards every day but Monday when I was on my way home from Montana. Good stuff.

Grade as of Week 3 = 88% - B

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: L-sit on the FLOOR!!! Managed a good 5 sec. hold too...
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Elbow Lever!

Woohoo! Great work!

Now we need an L-sit in a weird place! :)

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

You could always level up the cool like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYxYXbiJk9c

1 - I can't believe you posted a video with the dreaded P-word in the title.

2- Methinks there might be a progression or two between "barely holding an L-sit on the floor" and "L-sit Iron Cross combo on escalator" but I could be mistaken... ;)

Monday's Training

My normal workout was postponed on Monday as I got the opportunity to hit up the local rock climbing gym with a buddy. WAY COOL. We did the "Power Hour" interval training class then hit the bouldering section. My forearms were freakin' HUGE afterwards.

• Dynamic Stretching + Yoga Warmup
  • "Power Hour" Interval 1: 30 Sec. Max Reps + 15 Sec. Rest x 3 - Walking Push-up, One-Legged V-up, KB halo, DB fly on ball, Right Pistol, Left Pistol
  • "Power Hour" Interval 2: 20 Sec. Max Reps + 10 Sec. Rest x 3 - Jump Switch Lunge, Monster Squat, Stair Run, Mountain Climbers
  • 30 Min. Bouldering

Grip is STILL shot.

Monday's Diet

• 1781 calories
  • 107g protein

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Tuesday's Training

• None

Tuesday's Diet

• 1789 calories
  • 79g protein

Wednesday's Training

• Warmup
  • Hollow Hold + Reverse Plank + Side Plank + Side Plank + Superman Hold + Plank: 50 Sec. Each x 1
  • Weighted Partial Pistol Squat: 5 lb. DB, 9" Assist - 4, 4 / 3, 3 / 4, 4
  • One-Arm Push-Up: 1.5, 2 / .5, 1 / .5, 1
  • Diamond Push-Up: 15 (max) x 1
  • Straight Leg Bridge on Exercise Ball: 10 / 10 / 10
  • Handstand Partial Push-Up: 5" Assist - 10 / 10 / 8
  • Inverted Row on Rings: Feet Parallel - 10 / 8 / 6
  • Dragon Flag: 4 / 4 / 3
  • Wrist Curl + Reverse Wrist Curl: 5 lb. DB - 10, 10 / 10, 10 / 10, 10
  • Pull-Up: 5 / 4 / 3 / 4 / 5

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Are you getting pretty close to pistols?

One thing that is worth exploring, torso position greatly influences muscle activation. The more upright your torso the more quad dominant they are and the harder they are. Leaning forward at the bottom part of the ROM allows you to activate the posterior chain more and is easier. It is also a little more knee friendly when you get to the bottom of the ROM, especially if you have weights in your hands.

Think of the torso positioning in terms of front squats and back squats with weight people. The back squat is more balanced posterior/quad and easier. A pistol, no matter the torso positioning, is an ultra deep squat. Even leaning forward, torso touching the knee in the hole, is a very deep squat, but you are positioned to drive the hips to get out.

A subtle difference that might help you get to doing them without assist. Though to lean forward you do need decent 1 leg pike active flexibility, but you should have it if you can do L-sits on the floor.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Dude, nice work!!! I will definitely be attempting some pistols in the near future if not during this challenge. Keep up the badassery.

"In the silence of your bones and eyes forgotten magic sits and waits for fire." 

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

human assassin | viper jock
STA: 6.25 | STR: 6.5 | CHA: 9 | WIS: 12 | DEX: 5 | CON: 6.5

Sister's Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

Fitocracy

Holy crap, dude.

Just took a minute away from my computer, walked out into the hall, stood on one foot, leaned forward, and completed a pistol on each leg - easy as pie. HUZZAH!

THANK YOU, oh wise one.

Being able to use you butt when squatting makes a huge difference.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Dude, nice work!!! I will definitely be attempting some pistols in the near future if not during this challenge. Keep up the badassery.

Thanks! I wouldn't call the pistols "fun" but I do enjoy how cool they look... and being able to say that I can do them. ;)

You're doing great!

Thanks, ASL!!!

Being able to use you butt when squatting makes a huge difference.

No kidding. The difference between a successful pistol and not!

Way to go with all the new abilities!

Thanks, Tinkerer! It's definitely helped me keep up the motivation!

Wednesday's Diet

• 1392 calories
  • 102g protein

Doing a lot better with protein this week.

Thursday's Training

• Pull-up: 4 / 4 / 3 / 4 / 6

Just some catch-up pull-ups today. TwentyPullups.com schedule got all wonky again.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Way to go on the pistol!

Thanks, EG!

Thursday's Diet

• 1822 calories
  • 83g protein

Friday's Training

• Warmup
    New warmup is about 15 minutes long. Added a bunch of prehab/mobility stuff for shoulders and wrists.
  • Hollow Hold + Reverse Plank + Side Plank + Side Plank + Superman Hold + Plank: 50 Sec. Each x 1
    For some reason the reverse plank was really hard and painful today. Shoulders and elbows were complaining like mad during that portion in particular.
  • L-sit on Floor: 13 sec. / 13 sec. / 16 sec.
    Resting on flat fingers, thumb, and top part of the palm. Bottom part of the palm raised.
  • Tuck Lever on Rings: 15 sec. / 10 sec. / 11 sec.
    Really worked on correct form for this one - hips and shoulders even. Made it that much more difficult.
  • Advanced Frog Stand: 14 sec. / 7 sec. / 15 sec.
    These were easier and harder than I expected. I discovered the form easily, but balancing was a lot more difficult than the regular frog. Gonna have to have my wife take pictures to make sure everything is lined up right.
  • Tucked Skin the Cat on Rings: 5 / 5 / 5
    Never did these as a kid so I'm starting slowly. Going to progress to one leg out next round.
  • Handstand: 2 sec. / 2 sec. / 2 sec.
    My handstand is crap and I think I'm going to have to get off the wall and outside if I'm ever going to actually improve on these. May drop them for now. Dunno yet.
  • Glute-Hamstring Hold: 7 sec. / 9 sec. / 10 sec.
    Just like a glute-hamstring raise, but instead of going up and down for reps (which I can't do yet), I'm lowering until it gets crazy difficult and holding for time. Working to get a 45 degree hold, but not quite there yet.
  • Elbow Lever: 3 sec. / 4 sec. / 3 sec.
    I'd like to improve on these and I'm going to have to move them up to the beginning of the workout if I'm going to do so. Arms were wasted by the time I got to them and I landed on my face several times in my efforts to hold them.
  • One-Legged Wall Sit: 20 sec. / 20 sec. / 20 sec.
    Held pistol squat form. OUCH.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Just weighing in to say your progress over the last 10 weeks has been inspiring to watch! Thanks for all the updates and all the positive feedback on so many of the posts here.

Resting on flat fingers, thumb, and top part of the palm. Bottom part of the palm raised.

Is this more proper form than hands flat on the floor?

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Just weighing in to say your progress over the last 10 weeks has been inspiring to watch! Thanks for all the updates and all the positive feedback on so many of the posts here.

Is this more proper form than hands flat on the floor?

Hey, thanks!

And, no, it's not "proper" form. Ultimate goal is to have hands flat on the ground. Raised bottom of the palm is a bit easier... it's tougher to raise your body high enough to get completely off the ground with flat hands.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

And, no, it's not "proper" form. Ultimate goal is to have hands flat on the ground. Raised bottom of the palm is a bit easier... it's tougher to raise your body high enough to get completely off the ground with flat hands.

I tried your variant this morning and it actually seemed harder than the flat-palmed style... any tips? Either my arms were too shot by then to do it well, or I'm not getting the form right.

Train hard. Drink tea.

I tried your variant this morning and it actually seemed harder than the flat-palmed style... any tips? Either my arms were too shot by then to do it well, or I'm not getting the form right.

What did you find harder? More hand strength is definitely required, but it should be easier to bring your hips back into position and push clear of the ground because you're higher.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines