Dillpedo Torpedo's "I'm a Hot Shot (Part Deux)" Challenge

Wolverine

For me, it was harder due to the requirement for hand strength. Based on your description I didn't have the strength to lift off the ground. However, I can do it using either flat palms or fingertips...

It could be that I wasn't doing it the way you were...lost in translation kind of thing?

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

For me, it was harder due to the requirement for hand strength. Based on your description I didn't have the strength to lift off the ground. However, I can do it using either flat palms or fingertips...

It could be that I wasn't doing it the way you were...lost in translation kind of thing?

Totally possible. I was trying to describe the halfway point between flat palms and fingertips. I'm mostly flat, but not quite... :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

WEEK 4 RECAP

I missed the week 4 Assassin's Challenge, which I'm pretty bummed about. I think my week would have turned out a bit better foodwise if I had seen it in time. Oh, well...

Goal 1: Workout 4 Days per Week

Check!

Now sitting at 10/16 possible workouts for 75% and a "C" grade. This grade has a lot to do with being sick the first two weeks of the challenge, so I'm not too disappointed. I'm still hoping I can get it up to a "B" before challenge end.

Goal 2: 1700-1900 calories at >90g Protein

Averaged 2063 calories this week and 101g protein. Bummer.

Currently 93% and an "A" grade overall. Not bad, wish the last part of this week hadn't happened, but overall I'm trending in the right direction.

Goal 3: No Unnecessary Spending

I wouldn't call it a "major fail" but it certainly wasn't as clean as I'd have liked. A friend got me to go to an indoor rock climbing gym with him. Had a ball and promptly signed up for classes, and then bought some climbing shoes and a chalk bag. At least it's unnecessary spending that will lead to more strength... right? ;)

Now sitting at 25/28 days of no spending for 89% and a "B" grade.

Goal 4: Keep the Momentum Going

Tracked all my food, flossed every day, shaved once this week, and was active on the forums every day.

Now sitting at 90% for an "A" grade.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

What did you find harder? More hand strength is definitely required, but it should be easier to bring your hips back into position and push clear of the ground because you're higher.

Yep, this is my problem, too. I think I understood the hand position--palms arched off the ground, same as what I do for Cat/Cow/DownDog in yoga--but once all that weight hits my knuckles it's like nope try again. (My yoga teacher at home is incredible, demonstrating practically every pose with her hands like that. Hence why it's part of my challenge to get more comfy at it.) Given my iffy grip on chinups, it's likely that I just lack the hand strength to do "DilL-sits" for now. =P

Train hard. Drink tea.

Monday's Training

• 2 hours of bouldering

Monday's Diet

• 2508 calories
  • 113g protein

Tuesday's Training

• 1 hour group strength/conditioning class
  • 2 hours of rock climbing/bouldering

Tuesday's Diet

• 1484 calories
  • 51g protein

Wednesday's Training

• Scheduled rest day

Wednesday's Diet

• 1573 calories
  • 94g protein

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Thursday's Training

• None - difficult night with the young one

Good luck tonight! It looks like you are doing a great job of keeping at your goals, despite adversity in all it's forms (illness, tempting, tempting new fun activities, and "kid-timing"). Looking forward to more "DilL-Sit" updates. :)

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Looks like your L-sits are ahead of the game, Dill: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2012/09/hand-and-finger-strength/ Nice!

DilL-sits for the win!

Sorry for being absent y'all. Young one is teething and my wife's birthday was last weekend so it's been a little crazy around here. Last week finished with a sort of wimper (goal wise), but I'm determined to finish strong. That said, here was yesterday's workout...

Monday's Training

• Warmup
  • Hollow Hold + Reverse Plank + Side Plank + Side Plank + Plank + Superman Hold: 50 sec. each x 1
  • DilL-sit on Floor: 16 sec. / 17 sec. / 12 sec.
  • Tuck Front Lever on Rings: 11 sec. / 24 sec. / 8 sec.
  • Advanced Frog Stand: 18 sec. / 10 sec. / 5 sec.
  • Single Leg Wall Sit: 20 sec. each leg x 3
  • Wall Handstand: 30 sec. x 3
  • Glute-Hamstring Hold: 10 sec. x 3

Group strength class and bouldering tonight. I'm gonna be wasted tomorrow!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

You're getting some good work done! And congrats on getting hooked on the bouldering and strength classes. I'm looking forward to hearing more about those.

Thanks! The climbing/bouldering is unlike anything I've ever done before. It feels totally foreign and awkward and difficult and rad. :)

High five on organizing the shop.

*high five*

Tuesday's Training

• Warmup
  • 1 Hour Strength Class: 3 circuits, 3 exercises per circuit, each circuit 3 times, 8-10 rep range
  • 1 Hour Bouldering

Wednesday's Training

• Rest

Thursday's Training

• Warmup
  • Hollow Hold + Reverse Plank + Side Plank + Side Plank + Superman Hold + Front Plank: 50 sec. each x 1
  • Pull-ups: 4 / 4 / 3 / 4 / 6
  • One-arm Push-ups: 1 / 2 / 1 / 1 / 1 (each side)
  • Pistol Squats: 2 / 2 / 3 (each side)
  • Handstand Push-ups: 5 / 5 / 5 (to 4" block)
  • Tucked Dragon Flags: 5 / 5 / 5
  • Triceps Dips: 10 / 8 / 7

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Well, this challenge is at an end. I really wanted this to be the one where everything *clicked* but (sickness the first two weeks aside) I really lost focus as the weeks went on and let things distract me and throw me off my game. No excuses. I will do better next round.

Training Goal: Workout Every Other Day (Changed to 4 Days per Week)

75% Workouts Completed: +1 STR, +1 DEX, +1 STA

Nutrition Goal: 1700-1900 Calories and at least 90 g Protein

78% Daily Macros Met: +1 CON, +1 WIS, +1 CHA

Life Goal: Limit Unnecessary Spending

3 Weeks Without Spending: +0.5 WIS, +0.5 CHA

C-C-C-COMBO: Keep the Momentum Going

80% Momentum Kept: +0.50 CON

A nice solid "C" all the way around, which is fitting, as that's pretty much how I felt all challenge long. Except for some bright spots along the way (full pistol squats and one-arm pushups come to mind!) this entire challenge can be summed up with one word: meh. Just... meh.

I'm thinking seriously about my goals for next round, especially my training. Also, my wife and mother-in-law have agreed to go on a primal (modified paleo) diet with me, and I've got a lot of prep work to do in advance to make sure that they are successful (I've been down this road before).

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines