The Silent Sledghammer Challenge

Elastigirl

I agree with Dill, don't be too hard on yourself.

Umm.. well yea I agree too. I've been so busy thinking about the deck I forgot to check the calendar for other.. umm events that might be happening. Finally clued in to why I felt like a raging sugar maniac and I will climb back into my PMS cave, and probably take some chocolate with me. You all can continue with your regularly scheduled assasin duties and forget my previous ramblings

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Late to the thread, but so glad you're in the challenge...loved following your adventures on Team Sledge last challenge and your dining room table goal from last challenge was the inspiration for my household chores goal this time. Can't wait to see what you bring to this challenge!

...and, yeah...what they said about not being so hard on yourself. You're a rock star, and don't you forget it!

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

Late to the thread, but so glad you're in the challenge...loved following your adventures on Team Sledge last challenge and your dining room table goal from last challenge was the inspiration for my household chores goal this time. Can't wait to see what you bring to this challenge!

...and, yeah...what they said about not being so hard on yourself. You're a rock star, and don't you forget it!

Glad I inspired you. I can be a big procrastinator on household projects. And thanks for the reminder not to be too hard on myself.

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

TUESDAY-

My own version of the slosh pipe-long planks of PVC decking. My husband asked if it would be possible for me to carry the decking from the front yard to the back, or if it was too awkard since it was long and floppy. Not overly heavy-just awkward. I knew it would be a great opportunity for my assassin training. Balancing it carefully I carried it over the obstacle course of the flowers (hit a few black eyed Susans bit a think they'll recover), around the narrow gate, and into the back yard. 30 boards, 16' carried successfully.l

Also did 18 minutes of sledgehammer-kettlebell swing combo. Workout looked like this

boat paddles 20 reps

flip lever 20 reps

shovel 20 reps

15# kettlebells 10 swings

chop wood 20 reps

churn butter 20 reps

ring gong 20 reps

tuck bales 20 reps

coal thrust 20 reps

samaurai sword 20 reps

orc smite

kayak swing

fence post

repeat until time

I also went on a walk 3.4 miles

And stretched out afterward while watching Olympics

WEDNESDAY

Pistol squat Pole assisted (using brand new posts from deck) L-4 R-4

Pistol squat bench L-3 R-4

Pistol squat Pole assisted (using brand new posts from deck) L-4 R-4

Half TGU's L-4 R-4- balancing a shoe on my palm to make sure I have good form

single leg bridge 20# 10 reps

reverse lunge 20# 10 reps

Only did 1 circuit. I had planned on 3, but I needed to do some work on my Mom's estate with my sister, and then friends were at our house working on our deck, and it didn't happen. Which is fine, I knew this week would be like that. I still got 1 circuit in.

The mini challenge was great, since my goal is walk 16 miles a week, its no problem fitting walking into my challenge. Took the long route to the store to extend my walk and then came home carrying grcoeries. Total mileage 2.7

Miles walked

Monday 3 miles

Tuesday 3.4

Wednesday 2.7

Midweek: Total 9.1 ; a little under 7 miles to go

Thanks for the introduction to the Turkish Get Up. Worst thing in the world is to fall in battle and have to scramble to your feet while holding your weapons! *Thinking about where the mats ended up during the move*

And if you come up with good dessert recipes, let me know. It's not part of my challenge, but I'm trying to stick to my Paleo diet, and Sunday's traditional dessert is a problem.

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

The half TGU is going half way up before the leg sweep. The tutorial I was following had you practice that step and learn it, then practice the elg sweep and standing up all the way. I plan on learning the full TGU tomorrow.

My SHoD /KB workout is fun, in that sort of torturous way.

The half TGU is going half way up before the leg sweep. The tutorial I was following had you practice that step and learn it, then practice the elg sweep and standing up all the way. I plan on learning the full TGU tomorrow.

My SHoD /KB workout is fun, in that sort of torturous way.

Ah, ok. You stop before the hip thrust and leg sweep, I gotcha. I'm not sure if you are following the link you posted a while back said it or not, I just tend to look at pictures and work from there. Haha

The best fun is the dangerous/torturous stuff. I can't wait til I get into my KB stuff.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

During the break, I let myself have more cheat foods. Which was fine. Problem is, now I'm suffering more cravings, and my will power muscles has become weaker. I am not one of those people who after not eating sweets, eats some, and wrinkles her nose and says "Ooh that is too sweet", and puts her fork down. I am one that has a little frosting, thinks "Oh man this is delicious' and then thinks "I must have all the CAKE" Good news is I didn't dive headfirst into the cake, so I am improving. Bad news is I am having more coconut milk ice cream and thinking"MUST EAT SUGAR more often. So the following are not my goalsl as part of my challenge. They are just a reminder of past goals that I have now incorporated into my life and that I will now be sticking with again.

Dessert-no more than once a week-gluten free

No eating after 7:30 (ok if Im working on the deck or go on a long walk not ok just to have something to do while I watch Olympics)

Starting the day productivly by 10:00

Hopefull wrting these down will remind to get back into focus again. And I have already had my desert for this week, so I'm done eating sweets for the week (tiny sob-then she remembers she is Elastigir(aka Silent Sledgehammer) and no daemon of sugar can take her down and she goes outside to carry heavy things.

Thank you for telling me I'm not the only one!! So many people fall into the category of, "I cut it out and don't miss it, eww these donuts are too sweet!" I don't. The DNA test came back and said I was never half-elf. Half-dwarf all the way, and the love of food and beer that goes with it.

Just-3-Points-Shy-of-Level-4 Half-Dwarf AssassinSTR 11 / DEX 9 / STA 7 / CON 10 / WIS 10 / CHA 10http://derpnikdrawing.tumblr.com/

Thank you for telling me I'm not the only one!! So many people fall into the category of, "I cut it out and don't miss it, eww these donuts are too sweet!" I don't. The DNA test came back and said I was never half-elf. Half-dwarf all the way, and the love of food and beer that goes with it.

Yea, I'm half hobbit. Not really fond of beer, but I love food and especially sweets. Maybe its the pixie part that has the sweet tooth.

Yea, I'm half hobbit. Not really fond of beer, but I love food and especially sweets. Maybe its the pixie part that has the sweet tooth.

Hobbits, dwarves, pixies. Let's pick up our hammers and skillets and straight up make a gang. We talked about t-shirts last challenge. This keeps sounding more and more fun. Hang on for a couple weeks. I have an idea.

(note: when barbarians have ideas, most people should probably run for it)

Just-3-Points-Shy-of-Level-4 Half-Dwarf AssassinSTR 11 / DEX 9 / STA 7 / CON 10 / WIS 10 / CHA 10http://derpnikdrawing.tumblr.com/

Hobbits, dwarves, pixies. Let's pick up our hammers and skillets and straight up make a gang. We talked about t-shirts last challenge. This keeps sounding more and more fun. Hang on for a couple weeks. I have an idea.

(note: when barbarians have ideas, most people should probably run for it)

Sounds way fun...or possibly alarming as the idea is coming from a barbarian.

The best fun is the dangerous/torturous stuff. I can't wait til I get into my KB stuff.

Agreed.

THURSDAY

Went for the combo SHoD/KB today. 18 minutes

I did 3 SHoD movements 20 reps each then alternating either 15 lb KB swings (10 reps) or 20 lb goblet swings (15 reps). I think I ended doing 2 sets of swings, 2 sets of squats, and too many SHoD movements to count.

Practiced the crow today. I've been struggling with it all week. I was really frustratrated. I had taken the week off last week, and it was like my muscles had completely forgotten what they were supposed to do. I felt like I was back at square 1.Agh. But today, my muscles, woke up. Oh hey, we remember this. Was able to hold for about 4 breaths. Can't wait until I'm good enough to join the "Who can do the crow in the best place' challenge.

Also did:

30 secs. hollow hold

30 secs bridge hold

30 secs reverse plank

rest 60 secs

repeat except last is regular plank

Great day for a walk. I need to do a write up for the mini challenge. Walked 3 miles.

Total miles so far this week 12.1

Miles to go 3.9

I'm planning to take a bread from SHoD and finish the walking mileage tomorrow. I'll also spend some time practicing crow and TGU

warm up various stretches

I practiced the Turkish Get up. I didn't really count how many I did. it was more like do one, look at the picture to remember what to do next, try again. I'm glad I'm not trying to do it weight right now, its a multi step exercise and I just need to learn it. If I'm able to do 10 easily then I'll up my goal to do include weights.

Practiced crow stand again. Held for about 6 breaths. Did great on the first 2 tries. The 3rd try I slipped and did a face plant-haven't done that for a while. Oh well, at least I wasn't doing it 6 feet in the air.

Did assisted pistol squats with pole and chin ups. Did the pole assisted pistols using our new deck posts. The posts are thicker than before. Which makes them harder to hold on to, but that is a good thing. It forces me to use it more for balance than to rely on it to help me up

Pistols (with post) L-4 R-4; L-4 R-3;L-4 R-5;L-4 R-3

chin ups 1-3-2-2-1

I did a 4 mile walk today. My town has lots of hills, and I decided to see how many I could walk. Whew, my legs were griping. I told them to just keep movin' While on my walk I noted all the places Drsloomis and son could do crow poses

I stand ready and waiting for a message from my leaders. Lately there have been rumors that the enemy may be planning an attack on the town. Scouting around the town yesterday, I saw the townspeople going about their business. Children playing in thier yards, people chatting with one another, many laboring in the fields. All unaware of the danger that was so close to them. Now, I stood waiting to hear if there was any more news of the enemy attacks. As I watched, a pigeon flew by, dropping a scroll into my waiting hands. I read the message with a heavy heart. It was time. The enemy was sending out its evil foces to attack the town. My help was needed. I grabbed my hammer and set out thorugh the woods. The ground, covered with pine needles, was dry and with each step I could hear the crackle of dry needles under my feet. Worried that I would alert the enemy to my presence, I desperately tried to avoind the pine needles and step only on the soft ivy. Thankfully, the enemy was oblivious to my coming attack. Spying them at a distance I quietly walked within a few feet of them. with a thunderous war cry "FOR THE REBELLION" I charged into their midst. As other allies joined in, I began to see the fear on the enemies faces. we charged and attacked, coming at them again and again. The Rebellions war cries were heard thorughout the land andt he enemy trembled in fear. Then knowing they had no other option if they want to survive, the enemy turned and ran. We had saved the town.Translation:

I wanted to do something differant today for my workout. I checked out the Urbanprimalist for some ideas. His newest idea involved was Sledgehammer Charges. You are Mel Gibson in Braveheat. Sneak unnoiticed, carrying your sledgehammer, into the enemy camp and then charge them. It is a mixture of hammer and sprinting. I walked through my backyard, praciticing the Silent sledgehammer,(and doing a really bad job of being silent) Then I would do about 12 swings of the hammer, grab the hammer, run across the yard, and do the swings with the other arm. Repeat with several differant swings styles. I used swings from shovelglove and new ones from Urban primalist-I added the scythe and John Henry. It was really fun!! When else in life do you get to run across the yard with a sledgehammer, swing it at an imaginary enemy, and yes, I did yell out a few war cries, because I need to give my neighbors something to talk about.

The swing-charge-swing pattern sounds like a workout! You've convinced me I need a sledgehammer!!!

Yea, another convert! My legs and abs were telling me later that I'd had a good workout.

Good call on not changing guilds. I did for this challenge, and am regretting it.

You know, I have the same problem with sweets. I also am trying to only have sweets on the weekend, but when I finally do eat some, I end up eating more. :( I'm following you closely to see what you figure out.

I am a Human Assassin

STR 7.5 | DEX 5 | STA 9.5 | CON 11 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Angela's challenge

Angela's Bucket List

Good call on not changing guilds. I did for this challenge, and am regretting it.

You know, I have the same problem with sweets. I also am trying to only have sweets on the weekend, but when I finally do eat some, I end up eating more. :( I'm following you closely to see what you figure out.

Well the next day I finished off the coconut ice cream (there was maybe 1 serving) and haven't bought any more. But I did buy more dark chocolate (80%...maybe its actually even 85%) eating the dark chocolate seems to be keeping the sugar beasties at bay.

Goal #1 SHoD 4 x a week + walk 16 miles a week

Done actually walked 16.3 miles. It helped that our mini challenge was walking.

Goal #2 Crow 30 seconds

Practiced. But I had lost ground when I took off the break week. Nothing really gained here.

Goal #3 Learn to do the Turkish Get-up and 10 bodyweight TGU's each side in good form

Practiced . Now I know how to do them, it will be working on leveling up.

Goal #4 Finish reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann VoskampI've and make one new to me Paleo food.

Neither of these happened. Didn't do any reading in the book (watching Olympics and working on deck) Today I'll divide out how much I need to read to read each day to finish and start.

Tried this last week and only stuck to it somewhat. But I am going to try and write out my workouts Sun/Mon before the week. Then I can just do them.

ALL WEEK-My bodyweight I am doing Grease the Groove style. Whenever I think of it I'll do incline or regular push ups, chin ups, and pistol squats from chair. Hopefully I will make it a habit.

MONDAY-

Warm up -All Jacked Up warm up http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/you-cant-get-jacked-if-youre-all-jacked-up-how-to-warm-up-your-clients-or-yourself-in-fifteen-minutes-or-less-needs-formatted/

TGU"S (each side) 2-2-2-2-2

crow

18 minutes of SHoD/KB mix workout

walk- 2-3 miles

TUESDAY-

warmup-

shoulder shrugs,lunge sets, shoulder slides, windmills

14 min SHoD

walk 4 miles

WEDNESDAY

Warm up-high knees, bear walk, crab walk, lunge set, windmills, jumping jacks

TGU- 3-3-2-2

skill practice,crow, handstand, playing outside whatever I want to do=maybe carry or throw heavy rocks, practice forward roll, use a rope to limb my new deck, whatever I fell inspired to do

walk-3 miles

THURSDAY

warm up All Jacked Up

Charge Attacks- SHoD mixed with sprints18 minutes

walk 2-3 miles

FRIDAY-

warm up-same as other days

TGU 3--3-3 -2

crow practice

SHoD/KB mix 18 minutes

walk

SATURDAY

walk

Don't worry, you'll catch up. Those break weeks between challenges really come in handy. Hopefully the Olympics gave you some inspiration, right? Gymnasts always make me want to try to climb something and swing around.

The Olympics were such an inspiration Gymnasts make me want to do handstands and flips, and just be strong.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines