The Silent Sledghammer Challenge

Elastigirl

Nice job on week 1!

Thanks, glad you are back in the world of the living again

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I stand ready and waiting for a message from my leaders. Lately there have been rumors that the enemy may be planning an attack on the town. Scouting around the town yesterday, I saw the townspeople going about their business. Children playing in thier yards, people chatting with one another, many laboring in the fields. All unaware of the danger that was so close to them. Now, I stood waiting to hear if there was any more news of the enemy attacks. As I watched, a pigeon flew by, dropping a scroll into my waiting hands. I read the message with a heavy heart. It was time. The enemy was sending out its evil foces to attack the town. My help was needed. I grabbed my hammer and set out thorugh the woods. The ground, covered with pine needles, was dry and with each step I could hear the crackle of dry needles under my feet. Worried that I would alert the enemy to my presence, I desperately tried to avoind the pine needles and step only on the soft ivy. Thankfully, the enemy was oblivious to my coming attack. Spying them at a distance I quietly walked within a few feet of them. with a thunderous war cry "FOR THE REBELLION" I charged into their midst. As other allies joined in, I began to see the fear on the enemies faces. we charged and attacked, coming at them again and again. The Rebellions war cries were heard thorughout the land andt he enemy trembled in fear. Then knowing they had no other option if they want to survive, the enemy turned and ran. We had saved the town.Translation:

I wanted to do something differant today for my workout. I checked out the Urbanprimalist for some ideas. His newest idea involved was Sledgehammer Charges. You are Mel Gibson in Braveheat. Sneak unnoiticed, carrying your sledgehammer, into the enemy camp and then charge them. It is a mixture of hammer and sprinting. I walked through my backyard, praciticing the Silent sledgehammer,(and doing a really bad job of being silent) Then I would do about 12 swings of the hammer, grab the hammer, run across the yard, and do the swings with the other arm. Repeat with several differant swings styles. I used swings from shovelglove and new ones from Urban primalist-I added the scythe and John Henry. It was really fun!! When else in life do you get to run across the yard with a sledgehammer, swing it at an imaginary enemy, and yes, I did yell out a few war cries, because I need to give my neighbors something to talk about.

This is amazing. I'm looking this up when I get my hammer.

Just-3-Points-Shy-of-Level-4 Half-Dwarf AssassinSTR 11 / DEX 9 / STA 7 / CON 10 / WIS 10 / CHA 10http://derpnikdrawing.tumblr.com/

This is amazing. I'm looking this up when I get my hammer.

I'm sure you could come up with your own barbarain war cry to go along with your workout!

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Yep, I want to be that level of badass too!

Keep up the good work!

Not sure if I'll be at that level, say maybe 1/4 of their level I'd be happy!

After reading Steve's post on being productive, I decided to try the pick the 3 most improtant things I needed to get done and do them. Only I chose 4, because I just couldn't narrow it enough, and 1 was super quick. I tend to spin my wheels and worry about all the things I should do, and not get anything productive done. Thinking about it this way helped me chose what was most important-not just what is easiest. I'm going to try and do that the rest of the challenge.

Mondays Workout:

I started out by warming up. Then practiced my TGU"S. I was really struggling with the leg sweep thing. My leg doesn't want to do what it is supposed to do. I think I may be getting it finally. I wanted to do 5 sets of 2 reps. Ended up doing 4 sets of 2 reps. Mainly because I kept starting over, because I wasn't holding my arm upright, or my leg wasn't sweeping. Maybe I'm a slow learner, but it seems like this is a difficult exercise to learn.

Crow; Ok, this is obviously a Monday post because I'm whining about how frustrated I am with everything. So frustrated with the pose. I can do it, but it takes me 4 tries to do 1 crow. I did hold it for about 7 seconds. But still frustrated that my consistency is so poor. Self doubt is tormenting me-you'll never do it. Don't know how to fight it except to just keep at it-with hope that it will imprve. And to remind myself that 7 weeks ago I couldn't do it at all. Patience, that is the virtue most needed for this assassin.

SHoD/KB workout: 18 minutes Did a combo of SHoD/KB . Did sledgehammer swings, then kettlebell swings, then sledgehammer, then goblet squats, sledgehammer, kb swings, repeat until you drop dead or time runs out. Thankfully time ran out before I dropped dead. On the happy news, I have tons more endurance than before. I can hammer for longer, and more forcefully. And my abs are telling me I did some good work.

Walk: I walked 2.8 miles. Did my fastest pace.

Grease the Groove; This weeks workout I plan on GtG with pushups, chinups, and pistol squats(from chair) I did great on remembering the chin ups. Whenever I enter the laundryroom/bathroom I do a chin up. So so on remembering to crank out some push ups and fail on remembering to stand up out of the chair/sit down with 1 leg.

Tuesday:

I did a 14 minute SHoD workout. Also worked on crow. Not really any improvement over yesterday. grumble, grumble, really discouraged on my balance-or lack of. Went on a 3.2 walk in the afternoon. I had wanted to be a 4 miler, but I got hot and gae up early. Washintonians are known to melt if it gets over 85 degrees. But I then went on a 1.6 walk in the evening, so I made up for it. Did amazing on the GtG chin ups. Really feeling stronger there. Did a few push ups half way through my walk. Did them at the park, which is always a double bonus for me. I feel so awkward doing exercise at the park, like everyone is watching me. But I need to get over that, because really noone is watching me or caring, and if they do, really is that something I should care about?

Walk miles Monday 2.8

Tuesday 4.8

Total= 7.6 almost half way there- I would like to not have any to do on the weekend as it is supposed to be hot and muggy, and I really do melt then, and I can see me bagging it if I have very much left to do

Two things I found super helpful with frog stands - (1) find a spot with your eyes to focus on and keep looking at it, and (2) sing a song to yourself in your head. The song thing sounds dumb, but after a couple of rounds of "ABCs" or "Mary Had a Little Lamb" you're hitting about 30 sec. and you've kept your mind distracted. Like with most things, I found that it was my mind that was causing my body to waver...

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Two things I found super helpful with frog stands - (1) find a spot with your eyes to focus on and keep looking at it, and (2) sing a song to yourself in your head. The song thing sounds dumb, but after a couple of rounds of "ABCs" or "Mary Had a Little Lamb" you're hitting about 30 sec. and you've kept your mind distracted. Like with most things, I found that it was my mind that was causing my body to waver...

Yay, the rebellion Force has the answer again. I tried the singing idea (wondering if maybe people just say things like that to see if people will actually DO them:smug:) and it worked! I don't know if I did it longer, but I know I was able to do it 3 out 4 tries. Granted, its tough to feel like a proper assasin while singing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" but hey, whatever works. THANKS

Hmmm. What we need is an assassin-y nursery rhyme/song.

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Elastigirl was an assassin, assassin, assassin...

Elastigirl was an assassin with a silent sledge.

Elastigirl was a crow, a crow, a stealthy crow...

Elastigirl was a stealthy crow on a narrow ledge?

Ha! You guys are funny!

Oh and I didn't quite mean that level like in dominating the olympics. Just casually dominating, well, most people ;)

Yea, I figured that. They do inspire me, but man, also make me feel like I am way far from their ability. But, hey, I can casually dominate most people. Especially my age group, as most 40 year olds, can't even lift 10 pounds.

Great progress so far! grats!

Over in the monk guild, our second week challenge is to partner up with someone from a different guild on their personal challenges. Would you like some partnering on your crow stand challenge? And I agree... the singing tip is brilliant.

So, would you like to partner up with this little anthropomorphic rock with your crow stand challenge?

London Bridge is falling down, Falling down, Falling down

London bridge is falling down, I smashed it with my hammer

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Great progress so far! grats!

Over in the monk guild, our second week challenge is to partner up with someone from a different guild on their personal challenges. Would you like some partnering on your crow stand challenge? And I agree... the singing tip is brilliant.

So, would you like to partner up with this little anthropomorphic rock with your crow stand challenge?

Partnering sounds great. It'll help motivate me out of my "it'll never work" funk.

Great timing for a monk to wander by. I just watched The Karate Kid and was super amazed by the the athletic ability of Kung Fu/Karate. I know it was Hollywood-ized, but still it is a very awesome way of getting in shape

London Bridge is falling down, Falling down, Falling down

London bridge is falling down, I smashed it with my hammer

Oh, I love this!

For my Wednesday challenge I worked on the mini challenge. http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16621-Challenge-2-Relocate!&p=256122#post256122

I also took out a piece of scrap wood block and practiced tree pose on it. Ct020 inspired me by balancing on a railing. http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16255-CT2020-Do-or-do-not

I also attempted the forward roll, with horrid form. Its been a week since I had done them and I have totally forgot how to do the. I'll have to re-watch the video.

Also went for a walk Did 3.4 miles

Which karate kid did you watch? The newer one? If so that is funny because I just watched it today too. I picked it off Netflix for training inspiration!

ha! Maybe it's the same copy we had. We just finished it and mailed it out yesterday. It is very motivating!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines