The Silent Sledghammer Challenge

Elastigirl

For my Wednesday challenge I worked on the mini challenge. http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16621-Challenge-2-Relocate!&p=256122#post256122

I also took out a piece of scrap wood block and practiced tree pose on it. Ct020 inspired me by balancing on a railing. http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16255-CT2020-Do-or-do-not

I also attempted the forward roll, with horrid form. Its been a week since I had done them and I have totally forgot how to do the. I'll have to re-watch the video.

I also did a wall handstand. Haven't tried it in forever. Toried it today, and I was able to hold it for a few seconds. Probably could have done it for longer, but I always get a liltte freaked out when I'm upside down. But, I felt stronger than the last time I'd tried it, so I was encouraged.

Also went for a walk Did 3.4 miles

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Partnering sounds great. It'll help motivate me out of my "it'll never work" funk.

Great timing for a monk to wander by. I just watched The Karate Kid and was super amazed by the the athletic ability of Kung Fu/Karate. I know it was Hollywood-ized, but still it is a very awesome way of getting in shape

Partnering it is then! My first evening of trying, with no prep, has me at a 6 second crow stand. It was my first attempt ever, so I think I'll be more prepared the next attempt. Only a little more than 4 weeks to go! I bet you can do it with no problem!

Partnering it is then! My first evening of trying, with no prep, has me at a 6 second crow stand. It was my first attempt ever, so I think I'll be more prepared the next attempt. Only a little more than 4 weeks to go! I bet you can do it with no problem!

Great start. 6 seconds on your first attempt is great.it took me forever just to figure it out. But tomorow I'm ready to go, with fun new assassin tunes to sing!

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I also attempted the forward roll, with horrid form. Its been a week since I had done them and I have totally forgot how to do the. I'll have to re-watch the video.

I also did a wall handstand. Haven't tried it in forever. Toried it today, and I was able to hold it for a few seconds. Probably could have done it for longer, but I always get a liltte freaked out when I'm upside down. But, I felt stronger than the last time I'd tried it, so I was encouraged.

Also went for a walk Did 3.4 miles

Thats awesome! 3.4 miles is a huge walk!

Handstands are always a blast. Wall handstands are a great way to build up those muscles (just don't do them against a door that's not fully latched...oww)

I was doing forward rolls the other day too: giant bruise on my hip to prove my poor technique. What video are you watching for it?

Congrats on the crow stand! Seriously, from nothing to six seconds is impressive.

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Thanks for the encouragemnt. I needed it, fighting self doubt these days. Here is the video I used. Random Wanderer is the one who posted it.

Did my version of this workout again http://www.urbanprimalist.com/shovelglove_202_hammer_charges.html

He has you do one set of swings (about 15 reps) then sprint continuing for about 6 times. I did 3 sets of swings and then sprinted. I confess I did it this way out of lack of oomph. This Northern assassin is not used to heat, and it was hot yesterday. And further more, some of my sprints were marches. I still had fun, and got a decent work out, but not as fun or as exhuberant as Saturday's Hammer Charge.

Went on a walk 2.5 miles

Total now at 11 miles- that means I need to do 5 more before weeks end

Last night before going to bed, I was reading about you and Jiigigaw were doing crows and thought I'd try one out. First try I got 5 seconds, second only was like a second or two. Not quite sure if I'm doing them right though, since I don't get catch on easily. Just thought I'd give you my praise for even attempting to get 30 seconds.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Lead chipmunk: Thanks. I tend to get really down on myself if I don't make a goal. I need to remember that if I really did work hard at it, then its not failure if I don't quite get there and it takes me longer than I wanted.

Happienumber: Thanks. I'm really whiny and poor about pushing myself in the heat. Mostly due to lack of experience. But I give myself kudos for attempting.

Once again it was hot, so once again my workout was a little lamer than usual. Pretty good though.

WARM -UP

SHoD/KB

17 minutes

I did 3 differant types of swings, 15 or so reps each then

5 Kettlbell swings for a 20Lb KB (less reps because I was doing it a higher rep)

Worked on crow pose. Sang silly (ahem ..I mean terrorizing songs) to help with balance. I liked the London Brige song in theory, but in practice singing "falling down, falling down " over and over didn't do so much for my confidence as I hoped, especially when I fell on my face at the last line.

Did my Turkish Get-ups. Finally getting the hang of them

Now I can work on increasing the rep count

2-2-2-2-2

Went on a 3 mile walk

Walk total !4 miles; Today I'll do the 2 miles and hit my goal

Us northerners get thicker blood in the cold. Then it's extra hard for our bodies to push the thicker blood around in the heat. So therefore we get tired ten times faster than people who are used to the hot weather.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Us northerners get thicker blood in the cold. Then it's extra hard for our bodies to push the thicker blood around in the heat. So therefore we get tired ten times faster than people who are used to the hot weather.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sounds good to me.

I liked the London Brige song in theory, but in practice singing "falling down, falling down " over and over didn't do so much for my confidence as I hoped, especially when I fell on my face at the last line.

Laughed out loud when I read that. Sorry for your face, but that's pretty ironic. :highly_amused:

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Laughed out loud when I read that. Sorry for your face, but that's pretty ironic. :highly_amused:

It totally made me laugh at myself too! That's why I shared it-and my face is used to it by now!

This video helped me squeeze another 2 seconds into my crow stand.

http://www.howcast.com/videos/394-How-to-Do-the-Crow-Pose

Though I was NO WHERE near being able to plant my knees into my armpits!

Thanks. She really did have her knees planted into her armpits. My knees have not been that far up- if I can do that I'll give it a try.

Elastigirl, Elastigirl, Elastigirl...

Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks!

Saturday: I did some pistol squats, push ups, and hip thrusters. I was supposed to grease the groove on the squats and push ups, but that happened so rarely I decided I needed to kick out a few sets. Also went for a 2 mile walk. And then I went with my son and friends to Ikea. I always feel like I walk about a gazillion miles in IKEA. Wish I'd worn my pedometer so I could see how much I walked. It was a great adventure though. My son and friends are getting their first apt., and they invited the moms to come along and help them shop.

WEEK 2- SUCCESSES AND FAILURES

Goal 1-4 days of SHoD and 16 miles of walking- Done! Success

Goal 2- 10 (consecutive) bodyweight TGU's- Finally feel like my body know what it is doing. Now I can work on inreasing rep count

Goal 3- Crow- I am practicing, but not seeing much gain. I have lots of tips and encouragement from fellow Rebels. I can be such a perfectionist. If I make a goal and don't achieve it, I tell myself that I have failed. I need to change this mindset. If I work hard, I will see improvement. Even if I don't get to 30 seconds, I will have improved. And then, that makes life easier for the next challenge, as I already have one goal set. Because I eventually will get to that goal,even if it takes me longer than I wished for. I need to have more fun doing the crow, like when I started, and not be so intense and hard on myself. The assassin leaders have said that even though it is an important skill to learn, the fate of the world does not truly hang on me mastering it this week.:smug: Near the end of the challenge, we are going to Boston, and if I can hold it long enough to have my picture taken in some cool place, that will be awesome.

Goal 4- Finish book and make 1 new Paleo food- Book reading- Uh, 1 chapter, so some progress. Not much. 15 minutes a day is my goal. And no evening computer until that has been done. The Paleo food didn't happen because it was 95 outside, and 88 degrees inside our house, so I avoided the kitchen as much as possible. I was happy that we made food for ourselves and didn't resort to fast food.

You have my sympathy for the heat! I avoid complaining about cold all winter to make sure I have full rights once the thermometer clears 75.

Congrats on the first couple of weeks. It sounds like you are solidly on your way to succeeding on the workout goals. Reading over your two weeks of progress sounds like you are doing very well learning new things and keeping with your workouts.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Ikea is the most amazing place ever. Did you get any Swedish meatballs?

Girrrrll, you're rocking this challenge. Way to go trying the heat! Only reason I eschew working out outside is grass gives me hives. :( Just keep up on the water.

Just-3-Points-Shy-of-Level-4 Half-Dwarf AssassinSTR 11 / DEX 9 / STA 7 / CON 10 / WIS 10 / CHA 10http://derpnikdrawing.tumblr.com/

Ikea is the most amazing place ever. Did you get any Swedish meatballs?

Girrrrll, you're rocking this challenge. Way to go trying the heat! Only reason I eschew working out outside is grass gives me hives. :( Just keep up on the water.

No, the meatballs have milk and wheat, so they are a double no good for me. My son's friend had them though, and he said he likes Costco meatball better, that these were kind of dry. Of course it was at the end of the day, so they may have been sitting under the warming tray. I love Ikea but I always come away feeling a little dazed after walking through the whole thing.

WEEK 2- SUCCESSES AND FAILURES

Goal 1-4 days of SHoD and 16 miles of walking- Done! Success

Goal 2- 10 (consecutive) bodyweight TGU's- Finally feel like my body know what it is doing. Now I can work on inreasing rep count

Goal 3- Crow- I am practicing, but not seeing much gain. ... If I work hard, I will see improvement.

Awesome work on the SHoD and TGUs. Great mindset to have on the crow. You'll make it. Don't give up!

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Wow, this is going fast. It is already week 3. All weekend I have had a sore glute muscle (which sounds more athletic and assasiny then saying my butt hurts) Not sure if I did it during exercise, or more likely while son and I were trying to wrestle garage sale find furniture into the back of our Toyota. I was really in some odd positions trying to get a desk to fit into our back seat.:ambivalence: But we did manage at least. So, today I did some rolling pin work on it and some stretches. Felt better most of the day, but toward evening it started to complain again. Did my normal workout, as it didn't seem to make anything hurt more.

Crow: Watched the video that jiggigaw posted and tried some things it suggested

1) Placing my knees further up; this didn't work for me.It felt akward and I just couldn't figure out the right position

2) Balance on my hands, and just lean further forward until your legs naturally go up. I had been lifting my legs. when I let my body do it naturally I was in a much better position and able to stay up

3) Pick an object and look at it. This helped

4)Another thing I tried is that when I lost my balance a little, just rock unto my feet, and then balance again on my hands. Before I would start from scratch, this time I just readjusted a little, which I'm hoping will help with my muscle memory.

Other workout;

TGU 2-3-4-2

SHoD and KB swings 18 minutes

Walking: 3.4 miles

a few random incline push ups, but other than that no GtG on chin ups, tomorrow I'll have to do some chin ups/push up sets to make up for lack of my GtG

18 minutes of SHoD and kettllebell! And then walking a 5k..Stinking awesome. After 16 minutes of K. the other day I just laid on the floor and melted in a puddle of pathetic. You go, oh hey I think I'll go for a giant walk now. Epic.

On another note, OMG I did not know that ikea meatballs had milk and wheat....my heart just died a little.

Enjiying your garage sale find? Or was that for your son's new apartment?

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines