The AtSeaLevel Stomp

Sea Level

I gotta say, I am super pumped for this challenge. The Assassins guild is growing!

Here's the rundown:

Fitness Goals:

1. Bodyweight Workout minimum 3x weekly (Up for grabs: +3 STR, +1 WIS)

How: I just got the giant tome Overcoming Gravity in the mail, and I will be working on digesting it as the challenge rolls along. I will be continuing bodyweight work that I did last challenge, while thinking about expanding into more challenging exercises like push-up variations, planche leans, L-sits, pistol squats, etc., as I work through the book. I will adapt the organization of Convict Conditioning (push-up, pull-up, handstand, leg-raise, squat, bridge [see goal 2]) to focus on two types of motion per day, to cover all six in a week.

2. Improve Flexibility (Up for grabs: +2 DEX, +2 STR)

How: I will do at least 30 minutes of yoga/stretching at least three times per week. (+1 DEX, +1STR) In particular, I will work on back bridge progression 2x weekly. (+1 DEX, +1 STR). Back bridge points will not be dependent on my successfully executing a full bridge since it may take some time to accomplish. I will earn the points if I work on it twice weekly.

3. Stomp it off (Up for grabs: +3 STA, +2 DEX)

How: I learned the Tranky Doo on my last challenge, and I want to keep things going, so I'm going to learn the Stompology Stomp-off, which is a solo jazz dance developed in 2010-11. It's a bit easier than the Tranky Doo, but has some worthwhile steps in it. (+2 STA, +2 DEX). The steps are all online via YouTube. In addition, I will review the dances I already know and work on improvisation to new music for at least 10 minutes daily for a bonus +1 STA.

Life Goal:

4. Get off that dang computer! (Up for grabs +2 WIS)

Some things went awry with the last challenge, and a big reason was that this computer is sucking the life out of me! I was spending too much time online and not getting things done that I wanted to do. As Steve recently reminded me, I had plenty of time, the goals just weren't a priority. So for this challenge, I am going to limit my computer usage to 7:00 p.m. or later. When I get up in the morning, I will not check my email or Facebook or even this forum. Everything must wait until after 7:00 (at home) or during my lunch break (at work). I want to be more active on the forums as well, so this will mean being more efficient with my allotted computer time.

So there it is. What do you think?

It was awesome seeing everyone level up and support each other last time, and I want to do my bit this time around too. See you out there!

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Great goal ! And I agree with Dill. We need a dance video on completion of the challenge.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

*high fives* Nice to see a fellow dancer! Jazz dance is so classy. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at it. I had to learn some jazz moves for a Pokemon themed dance I did last semester and it was rough! Good luck to you during the challenge! :)

Level 1 Elven Assassin

Height 5'2'' | Weight 114

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2| CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Add Me On Fitocracy

Challenge: The Legend of Soiyer | Book 1: Swagger (#1) Not taking part in the current challenge but will regroup and return next time!

So, I'm going to amend things here a bit. I've been reading through Low's Overcoming Gravity for the last couple of days. It's a massive 400-some-page book and is loaded with good stuff. It's a lot to digest.

I want to do all the things! But so I don't get overwhelmed, my foci for new things this challenge (Goal 1) will be the L-sit progressions and the handstand progressions, per the author's recommendations. You gotta start somewhere. Write down a goal and cross it off when completed, then add another goal. That's the goal.

And I was able to hold three sets of good-form tucked L-sit for 5s each today.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

It's a freaking huge book. You'll get a workout just opening it. :)

Haha, yeah, we can do some Overcoming Gravity presses... or kettlebell swings... or Who needs a sledgehammer, when you've got THIS? :)

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Pro Aris et Focis

I do not approve of your goals mister. You're causing me great distress by giving me serious dance cravings. I should be going to bed and not trying to learn cute dance routines.

Actually you're goals are awesome, best of luck!

I had to learn some jazz moves for a Pokemon themed dance...

Pokemon jazz? I have no idea what that entails, but the imagery in my head is amazing :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Aerial assassin

STR 5.5 | DEX 7 | STA 4.5 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5

Challenge!

I do not approve of your goals mister. You're causing me great distress by giving me serious dance cravings. I should be going to bed and not trying to learn cute dance routines.

Mwahaha.

Pokemon jazz? I have no idea what that entails, but the imagery in my head is amazing :D

Good question.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Pro Aris et Focis

A Recap:

Day -1 took some getting in to, since the previous week was a whole off week.

Handstand facing the wall 5s, 5s

Tuck L-sit on bars 3x5s

Push-up 2x8

Dips 2x2

Pull-up 2

10 per leg Kavadlo's "drinking bird," (or Warrior III, with hands to floor, to Mountain)

Day 1

10min swing dance practice

Facing-the-wall handstand 5s

Tucked L-sit on bars 10s

Pull-up 3

Yoga 30 min.

I'm new to yoga, working with a DVD. This routine went through Warrior I, II, III, which I had never done! Cool. I was able to hold Warrior III with arms forward without falling over!

Day 2

Great workout for me. My fellow assassins keep me motivated, and all the Olympic gymnastics keep me motivated, too. This was first time in a while that I was dripping sweat during this workout. (Working in an 80-degree F apartment didn't hurt.) Take that weakness!

10 min swing dance practice

Plank 30s, Side Plank ® 30s, Hollow Hold 3x10s, Full Bridge Hold 10s, Side Plank (L) 30s

Tuck L-sit on bars 3x10s

Pull-ups 5, 3, 2.5

Jump squats 3x20

Push-ups 3x8

Diamond push-ups 2x5, 1x4

Stretching 10 min

I'm headed into (what is, for me) the big city tomorrow, and I'm going to look into getting some supplies for parallettes.

On the life goal, I've gotten up at 5:30 the last two mornings without a snooze. I did some sun salutations and got on with the day. I've held to 7:00 pm start time for internet use at home, as well. It makes the mornings much more leisurely. I can make breakfast, read a book, get ready for work, instead of staring at the Facebook.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Pro Aris et Focis

And it's not one of my goals, but I've really been enjoying giant salads lately.

Tonight for dinner I had a huge salad with: mixed greens, red cabbage, celery, carrots, raisins, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, avocado, walnuts and some chicken breast on top. OM NOM NOM.

I take salads to work for lunch with either chicken or tuna for protein. I always get the "your lunch looks very healthy" from my coworkers. And I say, "Yeah, plus it's delicious!" They think I'm crazy.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Pro Aris et Focis

Great start to your challenge. Watching the Olympics is very motivating for me too. Those gymnast are so strong. We watched canoe racing the other day and I was impressed by them too. Except I stay up too late watching them, so my mornings haven't been as impressive as yours.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hey AtSeaLevel. Just a monk that happened to look too far beyond the monastery today. I like your goals. I too have a stretching goal in my challenge.

P.S. Is that Scotty's Castle in your picture?

Academic Apocalypse

Covert Bear Moreau Monk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR 4 | DEX 6 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

You can't control which people come into your life, but you can control which window you throw them out of.

I always get the "your lunch looks very healthy" from my coworkers. And I say, "Yeah, plus it's delicious!" They think I'm crazy

I get the same thing. When we order food into the plant I look up the menu online and check myfitness pal to make my choices, they think I am bonkers.

Kyliewyotie

Level 15 Coyote Tinkerer
STR 27  DEX 18  STA 15  CON 14  WIS 14  CHA 12

Current Challenge

Looking good so far! Keep it up!

I'd show you the Pokemon dance but it's kinda embarrassing. Whatever you're imagining in your head is probably correct.

Level 1 Elven Assassin

Height 5'2'' | Weight 114

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2| CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Add Me On Fitocracy

Challenge: The Legend of Soiyer | Book 1: Swagger (#1) Not taking part in the current challenge but will regroup and return next time!

P.S. Is that Scotty's Castle in your picture?

Howdy Academic. Yes, indeed, it is Scotty's Castle. I work there. (Maybe that's obvious...why else would I be wearing those clothes? :) )

Looking good so far! Keep it up!

I'd show you the Pokemon dance but it's kinda embarrassing. Whatever you're imagining in your head is probably correct.

Thanks! I'd love to see it, nonetheless.

Day 3

Swing dancing, 10 min.

Yoga, 30 min.

And I got some new toys:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5031[/ATTACH]

Also went to the dentist today (oh joy!) But, since we're talking about mindfulness this first mini-challenge, I thought I would give it a go with my breathing. (Not what the mini-challenge called for, I know.) When they're digging around in there, I tend to get the gag reflexes, and my tongue valiantly attempts to expel the mouth invaders. I can't really control it. But this time, I really focused on my breathing rather than what was happening in my mouth, and it paid off. So here's a little lesson for my fellow assassins facing dental work. :)

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Pro Aris et Focis

Your timing couldn't be better! I have an appointment next week and have similar issues (in addition to just hating the dentist in general...not my particular dentist, but just going to the dentist).

Looking forward to another awesome challenge from you!

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

Yes, indeed, it is Scotty's Castle. I work there. (Maybe that's obvious...why else would I be wearing those clothes? )

I just thought you were just trying to look dapper! You do look good in that suit.

I was lucky enough to camp in Death Valley for a week, and while I was there I was able to get a tour of Scotty's Castle. My tour guide looked more like a farmer. I actually found a picture of him... crazy. http://backroadswithbbcon.blogspot.com/2010/05/scottys-castle-death-valley-ca-may-6.html He's the guy in the second picture.

Greatest tour ever!

Academic Apocalypse

Covert Bear Moreau Monk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR 4 | DEX 6 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

You can't control which people come into your life, but you can control which window you throw them out of.

Ok I'm inspired to look into overcoming gravity now.

How are you liking the yoga? I love it so much. I work hard, but always leave feeling bliss. It was a tough call for me to become an assassin over druid. I think I might level up a la final fantasy job system.

Soiyer - I would really like to see a pokedance. I'll sing the pokerap as a trade?

I need a cool guild sig

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines