North's Getting Started challenge

North

First challenge! So excuse the general cluelessness (is it even a good idea to be starting here and not in adventurers?), and criticism of my goal-setting skills is appreciated.

Name: North

Race: Elf

Class: Scout

Starting Stats:

Level 1

STR 2

DEX 2

STA 4

CON 3

WIS 2

CHA 2

Goals

1) Run 3km in 12 minutes.

I'd win the Cooper Test. In high school I failed that thing twice a year, I'd be absolutely thrilled if I not only passed but scored the highest score on the charts.

Current situation: I haven't run for months, but before that I could do it in about 15. And I was never trying hard to be fast.

Training: Tuesday and Saturday 3km, Sunday 5km

Likely difficulties: me being very out of practice right now (trial run Saturday will reveal just how much). Moving to a new (and much hillier) city 4 weeks in, and I've never had to run slopes in my life.

STA +3, DEX +2

(Is running a relatively short distance quickly stamina or dexterity? If it isn't dexterity, could someone give me some examples of what is?)

2) Do the 100 pushup program

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday complete however many reps it's telling me to. Remember it's better to do fewer with good form than to just get higher numbers by "cheating".

STR +5 (one per twenty pushups)

3) Absolutely no crisps, no soda.

That sounds like an easy thing, but apparently those supply a lot of my energy, whenever I cut them out I'm permanently slightly hungry. And I don't need to get even thinner. Try establishing eating breakfast to fix that.

Possible complications: again, the stress of moving and starting university. But ont he other hand if I do it right from the beginning, I've got a good start for the next four years.

+2 CON

4) Life goal: Get a good start at university socially.

Try out 4-6 societies, choose at least 3 to stay in.

+2 CHA, +1 WIS

Level 1 Elf Scout

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Thanks!

Running time today, before starting the challenge - 18:13

Thought about setting my goal lower, decided to add another point instead. Lot of minutes to cut = lots of points to win. I'll make twelve minutes, if not this challenge then the next, or the one after that.

Level 1 Elf Scout

STA +3, DEX +2

(Is running a relatively short distance quickly stamina or dexterity? If it isn't dexterity, could someone give me some examples of what is?)

I am going to say that running any distance = stamina, but running it in a set time = dexterity, but I could be wrong

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I am going to say that running any distance = stamina, but running it in a set time = dexterity, but I could be wrong

I'll just leave the points like that then.

Pushups before starting the challenge ("initial test"): 16, which means I'm in level 3 of the programm.

Level 1 Elf Scout

Good luck to you too.

Yeah that's what I just noticed too, my goals might be a bit ambitious, I'm going to be sore for six weeks.

Yesterday: 45 pushups (in sets of course), I might have only gone down halfway on the last five or so.

Today: 3km in 19:33. Worst time ever. Got stitches, lost motivation, walked some of it.

Next time try more water, less coffee, music, and more willpower.

Level 1 Elf Scout

Wednesday:

2.8km, for the mini-challenge so not timed, but it felt like it worked better

50 pushups. It's always difficult on exactly the last few, this program is great for telling me the right amount I can do.

Level 1 Elf Scout

Started falling behind on my goals today and yesterday, caught to soon enough to fix it.

Sunday: 5km

Monday: pushups

Tuesday: Skipped running, let's just say I switched Tuesday/Thursday being rest day/run this week.

Wednesday: pushups, but with very long breaks between sets. On the other hand some of the sets where more than I could do in one go on the initial test, that's pretty cool results from just 5 small "workouts".

Level 1 Elf Scout

I agree.

Good luck with your stretch goals...it's good to push it in order to level up.

Celtic ScoutLevel 4Str 8 | Dex 7.5 | Sta 12.25 | Con 9 | Wis 10.5 | Cha 7.75Battle Log"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Halfway done!

Everything according to plan except:

-1 can of fanta when I wasn't thinking

-two missed runs, both Saturdays, from being at airports

-2 runs where I couldn't measure the distance so I ran 20 minutes and 50 minutes instead, ought to be about 3km and 5km or more

Level 1 Elf Scout

Week 4, done. Got sick and had to sit out for a few days, dropped the mini-challenge and catching up. Still mostly on track with the basics.

Tuesday: 3km, sadly not timed because it was supposed to be extra, but it felt much faster.

Saturday: easy canoeing trip, no run.

Sunday: 5km.

Pushups: improving very slowly but still doing all the workouts.

Level 1 Elf Scout

Summary:

1) Run 3km in 12 minutes.

Training: Tuesday and Saturday 3km, Sunday 5km

STA +3, DEX +2

Went from 18+ minutes to under 16, that's 1/3 of the way there. Got in all the training (with week one mini-challenge extra running added in) though.

D, + 1 STA, + 0.67 DEX

2) Do the 100 pushup program

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday complete however many reps it's telling me to. Remember it's better to do fewer with good form than to just get higher numbers by "cheating".

STR +5 (one per twenty pushups)

Skipped some workouts. Absolutely did not cheat, which means I had to reset it a few times and didn't get past week 3. Went from 16 to 30.

D, + 1.5 STR

3) Absolutely no crisps, no soda.

+2 CON

Did it, except small amounts about 3 times.

B, +1.5 CON

4) Life goal: Get a good start at university socially.

Try out 4-6 societies, choose at least 3 to stay in.

+2 CHA, +1 WIS

Signed up for about 12 societies and I know which 3 I'm staying in.

A, +2CHA, +1WIS

This looks bad from the grades, but that's more because of bad goal setting than failure to put the work into it. I'm actually pretty happy with having stuck to excercising for 6 weeks.

Level 1 Elf Scout

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines