• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wesb1898

Pre and Post Workout Paleo

One of my goals this challenge is to go mostly Paleo with my diet. While I have devised a plan to replace cereal for breakfast and bread at lunch, I am not quite sure how to fuel up for runs and workouts. My normal pre-run snack is a whole wheat pita with peanut butter and blackberries. Post, a glass of chocolate milk (runs) or protein shake (workout). My question for some of you Paleo gurus, what do you eat pre-workout?

Whether you're fueling for runs or workouts, sweet potatoes are pretty fantastic. Can still do the berries as well. Throw in a hard-boiled egg or some shredded meat if you want some protein as well. As for after-workout, some Primal people still use Protein Powder, but you can also just go with a chicken breast, or 4 hardboiled eggs, or an omelette, along with some sweet potato.

Basically just looking for high protein, low fat, moderate carbs. Anything that'll do that is great.

Just remember that starches tend to go to muscle glycogen, whereas a lot of the sugar in other things (fructose) goes to the liver.

Also, interestingly enough, despite that your muscles more readily take protein and such within an hour after a workout, if you're training fasted, and hold off on eating for at least an hour, your body boosts its production of Growth Hormone, which is also a really positive thing. So sometimes not eating can also be an option.

I do CrossFit at noon three times a week, so I go there having had my breakfast roughly 2.5 hours prior. Three eggs with organic chicken sausage (minimally processed; six ingredients, no preservatives), fresh onion, bell pepper, garlic, black pepper and dill all scrambled in coconut oil. Black coffee. Water. Vitamins. Nom!

On extremely crazy CF days, I have a sweet potato with lunch post-workout.

i tend to workout in a fasted state, for pre-workout i just drink green/white tea blend to get jacked up a bit before hitting the gym. i think it works wonders but thats just me.

Kirkor, runs are 3-5 miles. I'm not necessarily "fueling up" so much as getting something in my stomach so it doesn't go haywire during the run. My current pre-run (the pita, et al) is about 200 calories, so it isn't an ample part of my daily intake. I first tried running with nothing, and my GI tract told me to go straight to hell. Since then, I've been experimenting on what I eat before a run. Settled on the pita bit. I've also had success with oranges. Oranges fall under Paleo, right?

Ah i'm in the same boat! I keep trying different foods about 30mins to an hour before hitting the gym, but too often i seem to hit a wall and just have nothing left in the tank. It's extremely frustrating to feel like you have so much more left in you, but absolutely no energy =/ I lose all my strength and just can't function. The best results i've had is with a wrap with spinach and tuna. But in my mission to become more paleo the wrap is out.

Oranges would certainly be Paleo! I suspect they are pretty high in sugar, and hence the energy boost :) Let us know if you try out the sweet potato and how it goes for you!

I usually eat some nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc) and fruit (berries, grapes, etc) about an hour before I do a conditioning workout or a run (6-8 miles usually). Immediately after a run or conditioning workout, I will usually chow down on a large sweet potato, plus the usual fats and proteins.