First Challenge Joined

TangledWood

Hi All. This is my first challenge and here are my goals this time around.

1) Eat at least 5 servings of fruits/veggies daily. Doesn't sound like much, but I have asthma, and lots of plants trigger it. So I tend to eat lots of whole grains, lean dairy, and wild game but not enough fruits and veggies.

2) Improve my pace. my long term goal is to reach the running pace of 11:51. That would enable me to pass the Army Fitness test for a woman my age. My husband's family is all either military or retired military and I would like to be able to keep up with the big dogs. :smug: Right now my pace is 18:44 so I have a long way to go.

3) Be able to do 1 pull up. I used to be able to do 1 pull up, so I know I can do it again. Right now I can hang for almost 15 seconds.

4) Clean my computer office. Once clean, keep it clean, organized and usable. I come from a long line of hoarders and this is a biggie for me. I keep the rest of the house clean, but by moving things into the computer room and out of sight.

Welcome to the rebellion! You should, have a lot of fun here.

Do you have plans for your goals?

Having some sort of plan or progression always helps me to get stronger/ faster.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Hi Phylanx,

I do have plans for how to reach the goals. For the veggies goal, I am tracking total daily servings of veggies, and making sure to drink a V8 if it looks like I am going to be short a serving or two.

For the running pace, I am doing a Couch to 5K program though I am taking longer to progress through the program than most people do. I am repeating the days two or three times till I can do them without triggering asthma.

For the pull up, I am following the Rebellion's post of "Can’t Do a Pull Up Yet? Here’s How to Get it Done".

And for the office clean up, I am doing it a bit at a time. I set a timer and organize, clean and sort for 15 minutes at a time, then go and do something outside in the garden so it isn't overwhelming.

Asthma sucks. Do you do breathing exercises for your lungs or just working out? Have you had it all your life?

Smoothies are a great way to get in your fruits and veggies too! You can blend em all up and get a couple servings in one shot!

Good luck on your goals! It looks like you have a good plan to reach them.

STR 5 * DEX 5.5 * STA 12.5 * CON 7.75 * WIS 7.75 * CHA 3

My Fitness Pal

I've had asthma all my life, and I am very familiar with how to avoid my triggers. I carry an inhaler with me, but I don't do any special breathing exercises.

I'm wary of smoothies; too easy to make them high fructose and trigger hypoglycemia problems. But as an occasional thing, they are great.

Yay! I'm trying to do a pull-up too. We are going to feel so awesome cranking one out. :)

When I was starting out running, consistency was the major key for me. I concentrated more on getting out there than getting better. It kept me from getting discouraged and before I knew it, I was getting better and running longer.

I am doing a Couch to 5K program though I am taking longer to progress through the program than most people do. I am repeating the days two or three times till I can do them without triggering asthma.

That's a really good way to do it. Progressing a little slower is way better than progressing fast and then stopping because some issue pops up.(that's what happened with my wife)

Good luck with your asthma, I've had it all my life. Now though, as long as I run 5 days per week I don't get exercise induced asthma.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Nice goals and well done on your progress. Good luck with the asthma - I know how debilitating it can be and how it can drag you down emotionally as well as physically so fantastic job on beating it!

Vickyloo
Wood elf / Druid
STR: 5 DEX: 4 STA: 6.5 CON: 6.25 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 6
"Each morning we are born again.  What we do today is what matters most" Buddha
Vickyloo: Getting Back in the Game

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines