hi all!

i've been aware of nerdfitness.com for a while, getting the rss feed into my google reader, but wasn't aware of the message boards till today!

i'm really glad to have found the boards as i've found myself in a pretty big rut. since graduating college (i'm 31 now) i've gained about 45lbs (most of that in the past 3 years.) while in college and my early 20's a serious back injury (severed sciatic nerve) kept any sort of running/pavement pounding activities grounded, but i practiced yoga 5x a week and lived in NYC so did a ton of walking.

currently, i go to the gym for two classes a week-- body pump and zumba, but that's clearly not enough. i started the C25K program a while ago, and even did my first 5k in october. my weight is not budging. my eating is out of control, and a sedentary desk job puts the nail in the coffin. i really enjoy working out, but finding the motivation seems to be insurmountable.

i'm hoping to find some motivation, community, and help myself suck less using these boards. high hopes? yes. impossible -- NEVER.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Welcome, welcome.

To me the eating/drinking is the most important part and if you can begin gently guiding yourself into getting a handle on that everything else will follow. Not that I or anyone else are anywhere close to being completely in control.

What sort of desk job, work in a multi-story building or in a location where walks are possible on your breaks/lunch?

thanks joshua!

i'm a database analyst, so just a run of the mill computer monkey. my office is on a nice campus, but it being COLD up here in the north east, going out at lunch is tough. i'm hoping that once I start getting back into a gym routine, my eating will follow. i've signed up for a daily burn account to start tracking what i'm really putting into my body. i'm hoping to join the next challenge when it comes around and make some more formal goals.

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

it's incredibly difficult to outrun your fork. I don't think anyone is perfect (and why should we be.. holidays are meant to be celebrated), but it's definitely a key.

Welcome to the boards, and I hope we can be of some help to you.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I don't think anyone is perfect

No, but some of us are PREFECT! HA HA HA. (Okay, I promise I will never do that again.)

Welcome aboard. If you can get into DailyBurn, I think you'll find it really helps quantify exactly what's going into your body on a daily basis. A lot of the time it's easy to think back on the day and say, "hey, I didn't eat much today" when really you're forgetting the 150 cals from those crackers you grabbed, among other things that can add up. The first few weeks tracking everything can be sort of eye opening if you can stick to it.

If you're interested in linking up with other NF folks on DailyBurn as motivators, there's a list here: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?521-Daily-Burners.

Other than that, I hope you find some inspiration and motivation around here. It's a really great group of people. I also can't recommend the 28 Day Challenges highly enough!

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

LOL Prefect!

I've already started a challenge, even though it may not be "official." Excited!

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter