#winning

Waldo

If you continue to struggle with the wrist / forearm / elbow, try icing them after a workout. It worked like gangbusters back when I used to pitch.

The wrist and forearm issue is getting better. The work I've been putting in does appear to have things headed the right direction. The elbow soreness though it on purpose. Heavy straight arm isometric work is a bitch on the elbows, once you pass a certain point you have to slow play progress strength-wise so that your biceps tendon can keep up. Just like with the tendonosis I have/had in my knee, if it doesn't hurt a little, it isn't strengthening. A small amount of swelling and soreness is needed to strengthen the tendon.

Fortunately my Friday workout is the only one that really has this effect.

Workout Log - 8/11

Run 5.0 miles in 54:23.3, 5.51 mph avg

- The time is a little deceptive, this run felt really easy. Amazing what a difference Thursday's leg workout makes on Saturday's run. At several points I noticed how easy the run was. Usually I struggle a little bit on this longer run.

- So glad its beginning to cool off a bit and the days are getting a little shorter. I prefer running in the dark to running in daylight.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

- So glad its beginning to cool off a bit and the days are getting a little shorter. I prefer running in the dark to running in daylight.

Must be nice. It's been in the mid 120s here for the last week or so. Only time to do anything outside is 5:30 a.m., just before sunrise.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Must be nice. It's been in the mid 120s here for the last week or so. Only time to do anything outside is 5:30 a.m., just before sunrise.

Man that is brutal.

I'm really looking forward to running on chilly evenings this fall/winter. I don't mind the heat most of the time, but it does kinda suck for running.

Workout Log - 8/13

Heavy Leg Day

Run 1/4 mile @ 6.0 mph

Dynamic Stretching

5 kick circuits each leg (front, side, back, done slow with a couple second hold)

Prisoner Squat - 10 reps

BW Pistol Squat - 5/5 reps

DB Pistol Squat (15lb x 2) - 5/5 reps

DB Pistol Squat (25lb x 2) - 7/7, 6/6 reps

Shrimp Squat - 3/3, 3/3 reps (plus 2 extras with the left, 1 each set after the set)

Assisted Glute Ham Raise - 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps (3rd set included two 3 second isometric holds plus a 5 second negative at the end)

Plyo Pistol - 3/3, 3/3, 3/3 reps (not onto anything)

Run 1/4 mile @ 6.0 mph

10 minutes stretching

- I mixed the Shrimp Squats and the 25x2 DB Pistols.

- Going to start incorporating some holds and some slow negatives with the assisted GHR's. Hopefully they will eventually become unassisted GHR's. I really don't need much assistance to get back up.

- Didn't jump onto anything with the plyo squats. Thursdays during football I'll do a few as well, though fresher legs should mean much better jumps.

- I'm being careful with the pistols, really trying to clean up my form as much as possible.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Man that is brutal.

I'm really looking forward to running on chilly evenings this fall/winter. I don't mind the heat most of the time, but it does kinda suck for running.

Workout Log - 8/13

Heavy Leg Day

Run 1/4 mile @ 6.0 mph

Dynamic Stretching

5 kick circuits each leg (front, side, back, done slow with a couple second hold)

Prisoner Squat - 10 reps

BW Pistol Squat - 5/5 reps

DB Pistol Squat (15lb x 2) - 5/5 reps

DB Pistol Squat (25lb x 2) - 7/7, 6/6 reps

Shrimp Squat - 3/3, 3/3 reps (plus 2 extras with the left, 1 each set after the set)

Assisted Glute Ham Raise - 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps (3rd set included two 3 second isometric holds plus a 5 second negative at the end)

Plyo Pistol - 3/3, 3/3, 3/3 reps (not onto anything)

Run 1/4 mile @ 6.0 mph

10 minutes stretching

- I mixed the Shrimp Squats and the 25x2 DB Pistols.

- Going to start incorporating some holds and some slow negatives with the assisted GHR's. Hopefully they will eventually become unassisted GHR's. I really don't need much assistance to get back up.

- Didn't jump onto anything with the plyo squats. Thursdays during football I'll do a few as well, though fresher legs should mean much better jumps.

- I'm being careful with the pistols, really trying to clean up my form as much as possible.

Wow man, you're just killing it. I feel like such a slacker when I pop over here, even though I'm killing myself with my own challenge. But I understand that you've been at this longer than me, so I'm choosing to look at it as a target to shoot for, rather than something to feel ashamed of.

You're doing awesome man, I can't wait to find out how much more awesome you can possibly pack into one challenge!

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Wow man, you're just killing it. I feel like such a slacker when I pop over here, even though I'm killing myself with my own challenge. But I understand that you've been at this longer than me, so I'm choosing to look at it as a target to shoot for, rather than something to feel ashamed of.

You're doing awesome man, I can't wait to find out how much more awesome you can possibly pack into one challenge!

Time and diet make a ton of difference. Toward the end of my cut progress tailed off a good deal. Being in a suplus has supercharged progress.

During this challenge I'll hit the 1 year mark. Granted the first 3 months was really remedial stuff strength wise, I was much more cardio focused, but I was still working and progressing.

Just keep setting the bar higher. I have a very long ways to go to get to where I want to be. By the time I get close to that point, chances are the point will have moved and I'll be even further away.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Week 1 Progress Recap:

1) Do 20 Pullups in a Single Set

- I did weighted pulls on Tuesday and BW pulls on Friday. Did 12 BW pulls after doing my static workout. I definitely feel like I'm making rapid progress. I think that weighted pulls are going to be key for getting from 10 to 20.

2) Do a Single Set of 5 One Arm Pushups per Arm

The form required will be legs shoulder width apart exactly with no notable twist in the waist, shoulders parallel to the ground, and no torso rotation away from the pushing arm.

- Well I did 3x8 with my old form, so it is time to rebuild my form starting this week. I expected it to take a few weeks to get to 3x8, so I'm ahead of schedule it appears. I'm looking forward to doing fewer harder reps. Doing more than a couple reps of one arm pushups is incredibly exhausting.

3) Do 5 Plyo Pistol Squats Per Leg onto a 19" chair

- I had to rework my workout schedule this week to account for football. I've been good about doing GTG pistols mith my weak leg and have been focused on getting my form perfect. I also did some bounding during my sprint workout. I didn't attempt any plyo pistol sets though.

4) No surfing the net during the first hour of every workday.

- Not a great start. 2 days I did some surfing in the first hour.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Time and diet make a ton of difference. Toward the end of my cut progress tailed off a good deal. Being in a suplus has supercharged progress.

During this challenge I'll hit the 1 year mark. Granted the first 3 months was really remedial stuff strength wise, I was much more cardio focused, but I was still working and progressing.

Just keep setting the bar higher. I have a very long ways to go to get to where I want to be. By the time I get close to that point, chances are the point will have moved and I'll be even further away.

I know what you mean man. There was a time I was 220lbs, and could almost get a pull up. Now I'm 190lbs and I did 8 pull ups last night. But I feel like I haven't made any progress. Lol. The farther I progress, the farther I WANT to progress. Lol. Best of luck moving forward.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

In case anyone is interested:

I gained about 0.5 lb last week.

Mon - 4078 calories in, 793 calories exercise, 3285 net calories, 229g protein

Tue - 4414 calories in, 1055 calories exercise, 3359 net calories, 194g protein

Wed - 4107 calories in, 637 calories exercise, 3470 net calories, 197g protein

Thur - 4080 calories in, 432 calories exercise, 3648 net calories, 182g protein

Fri - 4260 calories in, 944 calories exercise, 3316 net calories, 195g protein

Sat - 4331 calories in, 1141 calories exercise, 3190 net calories, 199g protein

Sun - 3970 calories in, 707 calories exercise, 3263 net calories, 216g protein

Weekly average - 4177 calories in, 816 calories exercise, 3361 net calories, 202g protein

When I started bulking 2 months ago my estimated non-exercise burn rate was about 2700 cal/day, that has drifted upward to about 3000 cal/day as my body has adapted to the increased intake. I'm still gaining weight, but the rate has slowed. I don't think there has been any fat gain, tape measurements don't show any, we'll see tonight when I take a progress photo.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Wow. Nice progress!

When you were figuring out your calorie intake for your cut, did you just guess? Set a level, see how you did for a period of time and then adjust? I'm assuming you're setting your bulking numbers off of what you learned from your original cut cycle...

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Forgot to add... watched the SD/GB game last week. Freakin' West Coast feed with the stupid SD talking heads. Spent three hours listening to them wax poetic about the Chargers and Rivers and all the great new players. Blah blah blah. Perry looked good. Harrell started to get going there in the end.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Forgot to add... watched the SD/GB game last week. Freakin' West Coast feed with the stupid SD talking heads. Spent three hours listening to them wax poetic about the Chargers and Rivers and all the great new players. Blah blah blah. Perry looked good. Harrell started to get going there in the end.

Really? You got a different feed than the ESPN one? Might have been an upgrade.....

Sucks House got hurt, he was looking real good prior to that. Really grabbed hold of the #2 CB spot. Perry did look good. Good to see him bullrushing, GB's coaches are doing well with him. That finesse speed rush thing he did at USC doesn't fit his body at all.

Ugly day for the O in general though.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Wow. Nice progress!

When you were figuring out your calorie intake for your cut, did you just guess? Set a level, see how you did for a period of time and then adjust? I'm assuming you're setting your bulking numbers off of what you learned from your original cut cycle...

Yes. I started with the number than MFP set for me, then adjusted to match results. I keep a live running calculation of my 2 week average non-exercise calorie burn rate going so I know where my calorie goals need to be. Interesting to watch it rise and fall, its been creeping upward since I started bulking.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Took a progress photo today!

Workout Log - 8/14

Dynamic Upper Body

Standard warmup, cooldown, prehab and mobility

One Arm Pushup - 3/3, 3/3, 3/3 reps

Weighted Pullups (+20 lbs) - 8, 8, 8 reps

Headstand Pushups - 6, 6 reps

Tuck Front Lever Row - 10, 8 reps

Pseudo Planche Pushup - 10, 10 reps

DB Concentration Curls (35 lb) - 7/7, 7/7 reps

Dragon Flag w/ Hold (5 sec) - 5, 6 reps

Pullup - 8 reps

Pushup - 22 reps

- Redid my one arm pushup form, feet shoulder width apart. Holy hell are they harder. Definitely was some unwanted twist. Oddly enough I really felt them in my traps.

- Progress on the weighted pulls.

- I eased back a set on the rest of the stuff. 2 sets is good enough to be productive while not taking excessively long.

- Awesome progress on the pseudo planche pushups.

Progress Photo:

Collage814.jpg

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Yes. I started with the number than MFP set for me, then adjusted to match results. I keep a live running calculation of my 2 week average non-exercise calorie burn rate going so I know where my calorie goals need to be. Interesting to watch it rise and fall, its been creeping upward since I started bulking.

What do you use for your "live running calculation"?

Took a progress photo today!

Collage814.jpg

Holy eight pack, Batman!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

What do you use for your "live running calculation"?

Holy eight pack, Batman!

Nah I don't have an 8 pack. Still a little pudge under my belly button.

To calculate my non-exercise burn, I basically sum my calorie in/out over a two week period, subtract weight change over that time*3500, and divide by 14.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

8-pack or not, at this point you could BE Batman.

What's your NEAT like, btw? I'm amazed how you could have a desk job and still make so many gains.

Well my BMR calcs out to 1989, so my NEAT is in the area of 1000 cal/day. When I first started bulking it was in the area of 800 cal/day (BMR has risen 44 cal/day since starting to bulk).

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Awesome progress!

How are you working on form for the one arm pushups? A friend built up to straight form by moving his non-pressing arm out a little at a time until he just put it behind his back. Always like to add arrows to my quiver, so to speak.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

Awesome progress!

How are you working on form for the one arm pushups? A friend built up to straight form by moving his non-pressing arm out a little at a time until he just put it behind his back. Always like to add arrows to my quiver, so to speak.

Waldo doesn't do progressions. He just decides what it is that he wants to do next and his Awesomeness does the rest. Lol. It's kind of like Green Lanterns ring.

Lol. I've been working on one arm pushups for pretty much all of 2012.

- Started with diamond pushups, decline pushups, and decline diamond pushups.

- From there I moved on to typewriter pushups and pushups with my arm on something out to my side.

- After that I started doing incline 1 arm pushups, working my way down toward the floor.

- On the floor I started with a hybrid rocky/straight form. My arm was placed straight under the shoulder, legs 2x shoulder width (or even a little more) apart, elbow in, and I actively tried to resist any twist or rotation. The pure rocky form allows for twist.

- Once I worked up to being able to do 8 of those, I moved on to where I am now, feet shoulder width apart (or less), trying to resist all twist and rotation.

- Once I get this form down, I'm going to mix back in Rocky style. Resisting twist and rotation is harder than the press, and I feel Rocky style hit the chest better.

Down the road I'm going to move toward doing them explosively. Never get punched by a man who can do clap one arm pushups. The torque that you apply to resist the twist is exactly the opposite of the torque you apply to punch hard. Combined with an arm press that is basically a punch, do the twist for the opposite pushup as you punch and put your fist through a brick wall.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines