#winning

Waldo

It's a riddle: "What is the sound of a one-handed push-up clapping?"

For me it sounds kinda like my face bouncing off the floor. Lol

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Been a while since I updated any workouts.

Workout Log - 8/15

Run 2.6 miles in 28:12

- Pretty darn slow. But a nice run.

Workout Log - 8/16

Bunch of pistols here and there

Prisoner Squats - 30 x 2

Pistols - 8/8 x 2

Shrimp Squats - 3/3, 2/2

Pistol 1' box jumps - 2/2

- Didn't really write it down, did it quick between playing with my son and getting ready for football.

Workout Log - 8/17

Standard warmup except that PB support hold for 45 sec was replaced with 2x 30 sec PB L-sit, and set two of my warmup pushups was done on my figertips.

Standard wrist and shoulder prehab and mobility work

Handstand Press - 3 attempts, first two I got my feet up just fine, but fell into a headstand. 3rd one I couldn't get my hips up.

Advanced Frog Stand - 3 sec, 2 sec, 1 sec, 1 sec, 5 sec

Tuck Planche - 1 sec, 1 sec

One Leg Back Lever - 15 sec x 3

One Leg Front Lever - 11 sec x 3

Planche Lean - 20 sec

Pseudo Planche Pushups - 6 reps, 8 reps

Pullups - 12 reps, 10 reps

- The damn advanced frog stand can be so frustrating. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is but I noticed that I'm leaning too far forward and basically holding myself up with my thumb and forefinger, that is likely greatly contributuing to my forearm splints. I'm going to start mixing in tuck planche reps, I don't have the balance issue with them, the issue there is I'm not strong enough to hold myself up. But I'm pretty close.

- The levers are getting noticably easier. Much more controlled into and out of them and I was able to hold a nice straight body. Notable form improvement. I feel that I'm close to being able to hold a full back lever.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Workout Log - 8/18

Run 5 miles in 59:33.5

- Slowest I've ever run that distance.

- But....I have an excuse....

- My left knee seems to be getting worse. It was at its best back in March-April, and seems to be going downhill slowly but surely. I've tried adding more mobility work, working on my pistol form, etc..., but none of it seems to be directly helping much. My theory at first was that my last cut workout cycle the huge volume of squats I was doing was the primary culprit (I was doing 400+ BW squats a week). Lately I've thought it could be my pistol form or a difficult to detect biomechanical irregularity (I do think that my hip moves less stepping on the left than right). But last night another possibility occurred to me.

- I got my Kinvaras on May 4th. Prior to that I used poofy heel running shoes. I do run with a midfoot strike, but when I get tired it does get sloppy I think. Last night my knee was sore while running, at first. I felt there was just too much jolting going through my knee because of my heel touching too often, especially going downhill (which is about half my run outside, flat land is rare here). I decided to change my running form at about the 1 mile mark to a forefoot strike, to absorb as much shock with my arch as possible and not let my heels strike.

- The soreness in my knee quickly went away. I think I'm onto the issue here.

- I ran the last 4 miles forefoot striking, which greatly slowed me down.

- I'm beginning to think that a non-competitive recreational runner should only forefoot strike. The run felt much softer than usual. The heel does touch when midfoot striking, and you do end up with occasional heel strikes when midfoot striking outdoors because of misstepping.

- However....don't try this at home kids. I do run barefoot with a forefoot strike 4 days a week on the treadmill as a warmup and cooldown for strength training. Not far, but 8x 1/4 mile jogs a week does add up to a lot of time under the bar so to speak after a while. And I do sprint (which is pure forefoot striking), in addition to usually running with a midfoot strike. My calves are real sore today and have been since the end of my run. But I was fairly conditioned to do this, even though I didn't slowly increase my forefoot striking distance. Most people have to build up to forefoot striking slowly.

- I'm going to forefoot strike from now on, changing my running gait. Hopefully my knee will start to improve once again.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

I also "discovered" a new heavy leg exercise today.

Wall sits. While 2 legged wall sits for time can be relatively easy, this doesn't have to be the case. They can be modified through foot position, 1 leg instead of 2, loading, and where held to be very difficult.

I going to mess with super slow 1 leg squat negatives on Monday.

Not that it is totally necessary. If there is one area of my body that is reliable every week with measurements to be going up, its my upper legs (chest is a close 2nd, both are constantly going up).

But the BW/low equipment heavy exercise arsenal for the legs is small so it is good to add to the list.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Waldo...all I have to say is: keep it up man! Very inspiring!

Totally, it's always a treat to come over to Wlado's thread and see what's possible when you set goals, do your research and then go out and own it.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

^^^ Thanks Guys ^^^

Workout Log - 8/19

P90X Yoga X

- Didn't fight through the ab section, crashed a few times.

- I've started doing the splits instead of frog pose. Just not a huge fan of frog pose and my splits and pancake hold (pike while doing the splits) need a lot of work.

- I've been really working hard to master the Warrior poses. So many nuances.

Workout Log - 8/20

Heavy Leg Day (barefoot)

1/4 mile run @ 6.0 mph warmup/cooldown

Dynamic stretching, 5x each leg kick circuit, 5x each leg lunge matrix

Prisoner Squats - 10 reps

BW Pistol Squats - 5/5 reps

DB Pistol Squats (15 x 2) - 5/5 reps

DB Pistol Squats (25 x 2) - 7/7, 7/7 reps

Shrimp Squats - 4/4, 4/4 reps (plus an extra negative on the left each set)

Plyo Pistol (1' box) - 5/5 reps

Hand Assist Glute-Ham Raise - 5, 5, 6 reps (sets 2, 3 finished with a slooow negative)

1 Leg Wall Sit (very slow negative to 90 degrees) - 30/30 sec, 20/20 sec

Prisoner Squats - 35 reps

Straddle Hold - 10 sec

- I dig the wall sits. I can really target the quads, I can push along the floor and really make 'em burn.

- Holy epic cramps in my abs and flexors at the end of the straddle hold (basically sit down, put your hands between your legs and push down, lifting your legs, doing the splits as much as you can using only your leg muscles to open and hold). Torture > Ab Cramps. Eventually I'll get past this crampy stage on the straddle, right?

- Cheated on the shrimp squats bringing my rear knee a little further forward. Little higher quality reps though, if that makes sense.

- Pretty stoked about the box jumps. My goal is to do 5 reps onto the chair 7" taller, but this is definitely a start. Still a ways to go though.

- Calves still hurt like a mofo from Saturday's run.

- Knee felt notably better today. I'm optimistic at this point that I found what was making things worse.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Holy moly, man. How can you fit this much badassery into such a short period of time!? It's really inspiring to see someone who's making such amazing progress. It definitely gives me hope for little 'ole me!

- Holy epic cramps in my abs and flexors at the end of the straddle hold (basically sit down, put your hands between your legs and push down, lifting your legs, doing the splits as much as you can using only your leg muscles to open and hold).

Dang.

- Knee felt notably better today. I'm optimistic at this point that I found what was making things worse.

Good news.

Definitely echo what Church said. It's always awesome to come see what you'll conquer next.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

The straddle hold is not hard to do at all. Unlike a straddle L (which I am vaguely working on, need to get past the cramps though), your butt stays on the ground. I don't really know the name for it, it is a basic straddle development exercise:

stradllsm.jpg

The straddle is active flexibility that has to be developed via strengthening, not stretching. The stretch will come with strengthening. When you start out though you get crazy cramps in the flexors.

As a sidenote. Filed in the ever growing muscle growth in unexpected places file, there appears to be significant hypertrophy in my FOOT. On the inside of my foot, in my arch underneath the nob of my ankle, I've got a 2nd ankle nob. More prominent on the right than the left thus far. It isn't an injury or swelling, it is surely muscle. It definitely plays a major role in forefoot balance, I can feel it working especially when I balance one legged on my forefoot. Also explains why my right can balance better. Not that my left sucks, but I can hold the yoga position tree with my right leg on my forefoot only for a while. Heck many struggle to hold it flatfooted.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Week 2 Progress Recap:

1) Do 20 Pullups in a Single Set

- I did weighted pulls on Tuesday and BW pulls on Friday. Didn't add to my max but I added to my other sets. In my experience this is how I progress on pullups. I expect to increase my weighted max this week. I'm going to start doing a set of pullups after my warmup before everything else for my static workout. The front lever hold I'm doing is getting easier to the point were I don't think a little tiredness will impact my ability to get in and hold it. The vice versa is not true though, those front lever sets are definitely having an impact on my max pullup numbers after the lever sets. Absolutely nothing gets me sore like the front lever, only glute ham raises are even close.

2) Do a Single Set of 5 One Arm Pushups per Arm

The form required will be legs shoulder width apart exactly with no notable twist in the waist, shoulders parallel to the ground, and no torso rotation away from the pushing arm.

- Moved to the closer leg form and did 3x3 on each arm this week. This form is a good bit harder. Still a lot of twist though. I've got a long way to go to meet this goal.

3) Do 5 Plyo Pistol Squats Per Leg onto a 19" chair

- I did some air plyo pistol sets on Monday and a few 1' box box plyo pistols on Thursday. Some progress but still a ways to go.

4) No surfing the net during the first hour of every workday.

- Better week. 1 day I did some surfing in the first hour.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

You are a beast! And the cool thing is, the reason you are is because you work hard at it. Your logs always inspire me to work hard,

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Awesome work, as per your usual.

What set/rep scheme are you using to progress with the weighted pull-ups?

Do as many as I can for 3 sets.

I don't totally go to failure, but I go to where I know I don't have another rep in the tank.

Workout Log - 8/21

Earlier in the day:

Tuck Planche - 1 sec, 2 sec

Adv. Frog Stand/Tuck Planche Hybrid - 5 sec, 5 sec, 6 sec, 2 sec, 2 sec, 6 sec, 6 sec

Office Chair L-Sit - 20 sec, 20 sec

Dynamic Upper Body

Ye ol' standard warmup, cooldown, mobility, and prehab (incl change made last time, it is going to be a permanent change)

One Arm Pushup - 3/3, 4/4, 4/4 reps

Weighted Pullup (+20 lb) - 9, 7, 8 reps

Headstand Pushups - 7, 7 reps

Tuck Front Lever Rows - 9, 8 reps

Pseudo Planche Pushups - 9, 10 reps

DB Concentration Curls (35 lb) - 7/7 reps

- Time was short so I tried to be as productive as possible.

- I used the guest chair in my cube for the l-sits. Cool thing is that my desk is the right height, that if I maintain contact with the underside of the desk with my toes, I'm holding it slightly above horizontal.

- I was doing the tuck planches during my lunch walk. Major breakthrough. I don't know quite what to call it. After the first two sets I noticed I was twisting to the side a bit, touching my arms could stabilize it. So I was basically doing tuck planches with my knees in my armpits on the inside of my arms. There was still contact and some force transfer, so I can't call it a tuck planche, but at the same time my legs were not on the backs of my arms. This is a little more natural weight distribution for me, my legs are a little long for standard advanced frog stands to be a great exercise.

- Small gains during my workout today. Cut out the dragon flags due to time constraints. Abs were plenty sore anyways.

- I did the TFLR's with my eyes closed to really focus on muscle activation. I might start doing this on occasion with other non-balance exercises (your balance is (a lot) better when your eyes are open), it makes a big difference.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Workout Log - 8/22

Run 2.6 miles in 25:37.53

- Used a forefoot strike the whole way. Wasn't pitifully slow.

Workout Log - 8/23

During Lunch Break Walk

Pistol Squats - 5/5, 7/7, 6/6 reps

Before Football:

Pistol Squats - 7/7 reps

Elevated Shrimp Squat/King Deadlift Hybrid - 2/2 reps

After Halftime:

Prisoner Squats - 35 reps

Assisted Glute-Ham Raises - 5, 5 (+5 sec hold), 5 (+5 sec neg) reps

Pistol Squats - 6/6, 7/7 reps

Single Leg Wall Sit - 20/20 sec, 20/20 sec

BW Romanian Deadlift - 40 reps

BW Squats - 45 reps

- Lots of reps cumulative today.

- Really focused on using the glutes.

- Less peak pistol reps, but the quality of my pistol reps is definitely improving. Quality is always better than quantity.

- Glute activation = less knee soreness.

- High rep BW RDL's are a pain in the ass. Literally.

- The lunchtime pistols really didn't take much toll. As I kind of expected. The legs can handle a lot of volume if you don't kill them.

This was posted by Chairohkey in Laura's thread among the Warriors; I absolutely have to post it. Great, great, great read. Even if you don't have knee pain you should be using the general concepts in this book(s). Kinda like good posture for the legs. I used the concepts in my workout and throughout the day, and I gotta say it has been working wonders. Use your butt.

Found an ebook that might help. Keep up the bro-gress.

http://anthonymychal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ebook12aagtckp2012.pdf

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Workout Log - 8/24

Static Strength

Earlier in Day: Floor L-Sit - 30 sec x 3

Usual warmup, cooldown, prehab, and mobility

5 Minutes freestanding handstand and tuck press handstand practice

Pullups - 15 reps

One Leg Back Lever - 15 sec x 3

One Leg Front Lever - 11 sec x 3

PB Planche Lean - 20 sec x 3

Pullups - 11 reps

Dips - 16 reps

Pseudo Maltese Pushups - 6 reps

- Hit 30 sec x 3 on the floor L-sits, a challenge goal from last challenge that I didn't meet.

- I didn't do any frog stands. Forearms are sore from Tuesday.

- Checked my lever form on video. Back Lever looks good. Front Lever...not so much.

- Progress on the pullup goal. Halfway through the challenge and halfway there.

- Thought I'd give dips a go, haven't done them in a while. New personal best. There is a lot of transfer between dips and pushups.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Workout Log - 8/25

Afternoon:

BW Romanian Deadlift - 10 reps

Pistol Squats - 3/3 reps

Pistol Squats - 20/20 reps *rest-pause set, 6, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3*

Evening:

Run 3.81 miles in 46:53.8

- My calves were sore so I didn't have 5 miles in me. Was slow, but whatever.

- I tried the Myo-Rep style rest pause set. I was planning on doing a few sets of pistols today, and I read about myo-reps, thought I'd give it a try since it seemed to fit exactly the type of goals I had for doing Pistols today. Up my weekly volume with a light day.

- Myo-reps in a nutshell - go close to but not all the way to failure, rest 10 seconds, do another set close to but not to failure, keep doing that until you get really struggle for the last rep, then increase the pause to 20 sec between sets and do the same, stop when you do reach the point where you really struggle for the last rep again (or you hit your target volume, which for me was 20 reps).

- Myo-reps utilize rest pause sets a la Dogcrapp training, but in a different way. Dogcrapp training is training to and beyond failure. With Myo-reps you want to avoid failure. The general idea is that you get the most benefit from the last few reps before failure (once you get to 100% fiber activation), so you draw that out and do a lot of high value reps instead of long rests and a bunch of low value reps to get you back to the last few reps. It is basically to condense a few sets into a single drawn out set, to work really efficiently. The short rests/pauses allow a little recovery without losing the 100% fiber activation that you attained.

- Pretty pleased with how it went. I felt like I got a lot of quality work in, and it really was just a quick warmup and 1 work set. But it also didn't leave me all burned out either (the main drawback of Dogcrapp training). Look for me to play with this concept more in the future. For now though I'm going to keep that short Saturday afternoon leg workout, exactly what I want, a 10 minute light-moderate but productive workout.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

I'm just catching up, so this is from a while ago, but:

Wall sits. While 2 legged wall sits for time can be relatively easy, this doesn't have to be the case. They can be modified through foot position, 1 leg instead of 2, loading, and where held to be very difficult.

Do you do them with the second leg crossed over or straight out?

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

Workout Log - 8/26

Rodney Yee's Total Body Power Yoga

- This video is rad. Its a good workout and you feel awesome afterwards.

Workout Log - 8/27

Heavy Leg Day

1/4 mile run @ 6.0 mph warmup/cooldown

Kick Circuit x 5

Lunge Circuit x 5

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squats - 10 reps

BW Pistols - 5/5 reps

DB Pistols (15 x 2) - 5/5 reps

DB Pistols (25 x 2) - 8/8, 8/8, 8/8 reps

Assisted Glute-Ham Raises - 5, 5, 5 reps (sets 2 and 3 included a 5 second negative after the final rep)

DB Extension/Stall (55 lb) - 20 sec, 20 sec

Weighted Side Leg Raises (10 lb) - 15/15, 15/15 reps

Stretching

- My left knee has been unusually sore all day Sunday and Today. I was not particularly optimistic about a good workout and was ready with plan B if my knee was really sore. But I massaged it good and treated it right all night, and it felt real good for the whole workout. Kinda giving me a WTF was that vibe now though, now that I've cooled down clearly my left knee is not thrilled with the situation.

- I'm beginning to feel real rundown overall. I've got a lot of fantasy football drafts the rest of the week and next week a wedding to go to, so I hit it hard today, will do the same tomorrow, and then I'm going to ease back/rest for almost 2 weeks. Light workouts the rest of this week, no workouts next week. I'm hoping all my aches and pains go away. After I return though I'm going to do one more workout cycle, perhaps a little short, before I ease back return to maintenance, then do a cut cycle to finish out the year. My tentative plan is to begin cutting Nov 1, finishing out 2012 cutting, then return to bulking after the new year.

- Finally past the plateau on weighted pistols. I haven't added a rep since 8/2, been stuck at 7 reps per set max. Smashed it today, hitting 8 with all 3 sets. I did not expect that at all.

- Its interesting how much my form changes with weight on the pistols. Without weight my torso is much more upright. With heavy weight I prefer more of a forward lean so I stop my decent with my torso touching my knee, I feel it is less stressful on the knee. Plus it activates the posterior chain more when weighted. Which explains why I can do darn near as many with 50 lbs in my hands as I can do with BW, it is almost front squat vs. back squat.

- I think of leg raises as an 80's women's workout video exercise, but it also hits the glutes a little different way and should have some transfer to the straddle position.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines