#winning

Waldo

Week 3 Progress Recap:

1) Do 20 Pullups in a Single Set

- I did a set of 15 on Friday, so I'm up to a grade of a D. I might have been a tad overaggressive on this goal. We'll see. I think I'm about at the area where the focus has to switch to endurance to push the numbers higher. For now I'm going to stick to the weighted pulls strategy.

2) Do a Single Set of 5 One Arm Pushups per Arm

The form required will be legs shoulder width apart exactly with no notable twist in the waist, shoulders parallel to the ground, and no torso rotation away from the pushing arm.

- Got to 4 in a set, however my form still needs a lot of work. Getting that twist out is damn hard. I'm working on both quality and quantity together. The hope is as I get stronger that I'll be able to control the twist better on the first few reps.

3) Do 5 Plyo Pistol Squats Per Leg onto a 19" chair

- Did a set of 5 each leg onto a 1' box. I'm getting closer. I'm about ready to start trying to get onto the chair with my left leg.

4) No surfing the net during the first hour of every workday.

- I'm not doing too good on this item this challenge. 2 days last week I checked the net during the first hour.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Workout Log - 8/28

Dynamic Upper Body

Std. Warmup, Cooldown, Prehab, and Mobility

One Arm Pushup - 4/4, 4/4, 5/5 reps

Weighted Pullups (+20 lbs) - 9, 9, 8 reps

Headstand Pushup - 8, 9 reps

Tuck Front Lever Rows - 10, 7 reps

Pseudo Planche Pushup - 10, 10 reps

Dragon Flag - 5, 6 reps

DB Concentration Curl (35 lb) - 8/8 reps

- I underestimated how hard resisting the twist on a shoulder width one arm pushups is. I have very little hope of completing my challenge goal.

- Good progress all around though.

Progress Photo:

Collage828.jpg

Since 5/30, which is about when I was at my lightest, right before beginning to bulk:

Neck: 15.3" > 15.8" (+0.5")

Chest: 44.3" > 46.1" (+1.8")

R Bicep: 14.1" > 14.5" (+0.4")

R Forearm: 12.1" > 12.6" (+0.5")

Flexed Waist: 33.1" > 33.8" (+0.7")

Unflexed Belly Button: 31.0" > 30.5" (-0.5")

R Thigh: 24.3" > 25.0" (+0.7")

R Calf: 15.6" > 15.9" (+0.3")

I didn't start taking measurements on the left or around the glutes until much more recently.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Holy cow man, you're KILLING this challenge! And you're dedication is SUPER-inspiring. Keep up the awesomeness.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Progress is amazing and noticeable, as per your usual. Seems like I'm downplaying your success by congratulating you that way, but awesomeness has sort of become your norm... ;)

A few questions for you...

1. What are you doing for shoulder, wrist, elbow prehab/mobility? My joints are starting to get achy and I want to head off any injuries...

2. Can now do about 1.5 one-arm push-ups on the left side (more on the right, but I'm limiting myself to reps I can do on my weak side). If I do 3 sets of 1, am I getting enough of a workout to stimulate growth? I finished up with a set of max rep diamonds, just because I didn't feel like I was doing enough, but I'm not sure if more extensive horiz. push work is needed to progress...

3. Do we get video of your plyo pistol???

And an off-topic woot...

I drafted Aaron Rodgers to my fantasy football team. Booyah.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Thanks.

1) I'll try to break it up by category:

Elbow - Straight arm planks front/back as part of warmup, german hang (30 sec), back lever, planche leans. Back lever is clearly the toughest on the elbows that I work on, and I only progress my hold times every 6-8 weeks, otherwise purposely plateauing. This training style needs to be used for the planche and back lever beyond the basic tuck stage for each.

Wrist - Fingertip pushups, wrist pushups, dorsal pushups, 1st knuckle pushups, DB Extensions, some of the stretches that RyanHurst posted in the thread on the Batman Workout in the Assassin's den. It is really a shotgun approach since this is really a problem area for me right now. Wrist pushups are done on the back of your hands (I do them on my knees). Dorsal pushups are done with the hands rotated inward all the way around as far as you can. Kinda silly looking but they are a good stretch (the video posted by RyanHurst has a real similar stretch). I also do those on my knees. 1st knuckle pushups are basically pushups where the only ROM is moving from flat palm to fingers flat on the ground, palm vertical. Curlbros struggle with forearm splints too, their general Rx is to cool it on the front curls and do reverse curls, stressing the wrist extension motion.

Shoulders - Internal and external shoulder rotations with band. Dumbbell upright shoulder external rotations. Doorway stretch in a few positions. Scapular wall slides. Shoulder dislocates with band (front and back, 5 front to back, 5 back to front, palms face your legs at the starting position).

2) Do you have a way to do dips? They are a little better go-between between regular pushups and 1 arm pushups. I stuck to doing other stuff as well until I got to 3 per arm (which actually happened pretty quick). But I did take a fairly long break from them, only really doing regular pushups and static training (front lever, back lever, l-sit, planche leans, frog stand). When I got back to them I was stronger and had improved my form.

I would caution you on the 1 arm pushups to really ditch everything that CC teaches people. Don't be afraid to go legs wide and allow for fairly significant torso twist at first. Just be sure to keep your elbow under control, in near your side, that is the part of the form that is really important. In general poor form is considered bad by people and poor form isn't considered counting, and that it just teaches bad movement patterns. The rocky style that Wade makes fun of is NOT bad form. It is different form, a little easier form, and more of a chest emphasis pushup. The closer together the legs the harder it gets and the more it emphasises the triceps over the chest. The best way to strengthen the obliques/flexors/core to resist the twist as the legs get closer is by doing them rocky style and trying to resist the twist. One arm pushups are a difficult exercise that takes a long time to really master all the nuances of.

From personal experience, one arm pushups do respond well to GtG training. I grew my numbers and improved my form when I could only do a couple by doing a rep here and there throughout the day.

3) I'm hoping so on the plyo pistol. We do have a video camera, I just need to figure out how to go from taking a video to having a video on the net.

Nice on Rodgers. I've only done 1 draft so far where I could possibly get him (yeah no in the dynasty league I'm in at work, players of that caliber aren't available in the draft), but I couldn't, I had the #3 overall pick and couldn't trade up; the guy that had #1 overall was a GB fan and not listening to offers. :(

currently maintaning

don't panic!

1. Thank you!

2. Thank you! Dips I can do. I love them and have been trying to find a place for them in my training so that's a perfect solution. I'm doing Rocky style... I briefly considered CC for the progressions, but he moves FREAKING SLOW and I found that I was losing strength by following the book. Right side is ready to rock, I just have to get my left side to catch up.

3. My league is auto-draft, all I could do was put him as my number 1 preferred pick and cross my fingers and toes. It worked. ;) Biggest challenge this season is going to be NOT playing my other GB players when I've got better options available. Team loyalty don't get you no points.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Been taking it easy this week, tapering back before an off week next week.

Workout Log - 8/30

Earlier:

BW Pistols - 5/5 reps

Plyo Pistols (1' box) - 4/4 reps (alternating)

Prisoner Squats - 10 reps

BW Pistols - 3/3 reps

BW Pistols Myo-Set - 20/20 reps (6, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3; 10 sec before the 2's, 20 sec before the 3's)

DB RDL (35 lb x 2) - 30 reps

- For such a short workout(s), this was an incredibly effective workout. Doing myo-rep style sets is an extremely efficient use of time. They really work great. Unlike with weights where flirting with failure can be a bit dangerous, with bodyweight they are really an awesome way to work. I'm not going to go all in right now, but over time I think this sort of training will profoundly influence the way I work.

- I'm curious as to what sort of benefits high rep RDL's will bring. You know you're doing them right when absolutely nothing is sore except your ass. Which is on fire. I'm going to try to consistently do them for a while. High rep squatting had a notable impact on my running, perhaps these will too.

Workout Log - 8/31

L-Sit Chinups - 5

Pushups - 10

German Hang - 30 sec

Hall Handstand (w/freebalancing) - 15, 20, 10 sec

Pullups - 15.5 reps

One Leg Back Lever - 15, 15, 15 sec

One Leg Front Lever - 11, 11, 11 sec

Planche Lean + Pseudo Planche Pushups - 10 sec + 10 reps, 10 sec + 10 reps

- Short but sweet. Skipped most of my warmup stuff.

- Failed on rep #16 of the set of pullups, got halfway up. I haven't failed on the pullup bar in a long time.

- PPP's really, really, really hit the pecs good. Nothing makes 'em burn as well as they do (except PMP's which are a very close relative). I dig the lean->pushups sets I was doing.

- I skipped all of the straight arm static work in an effort to let my forearms fully heal. They feel better now than they have in ages. 1 week off should hopefully do the trick to really get rid of the splints. The planche leans were done with a hands nearly backwards positioning which puts little stress on the forearms.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

How are you doing the pseudo planche push-ups? Got into a planche lean and then do push-ups (like a planche with your feet on the ground)?

Yes. You have to be careful to control your midsection. Straight but a little hollow is best. Collapsing at the waist and being overly hollow both make PPP's a good bit easier. Push a bit forward on the way up, you want to move up and down, not rotate about your feet (a subtle but significant difference). Hand position is optional but they work the shoulders better with the hands back or mostly back.

They should feel a lot like a chest dominant dip. They feel much more like a dip to me than a pushup.

Workout Log - 9/1

Run 5 miles in 58:17.5

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Nice. I've been working on the planche lean here and there and have noticed that my wrists are the really weak point. Started working them at standard push-up position and then leaning forward a bit more each time now, as I felt like I was rushing the progression a bit before. Looking forward to adding the PPP in after I get my lean down!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Nice. I've been working on the planche lean here and there and have noticed that my wrists are the really weak point. Started working them at standard push-up position and then leaning forward a bit more each time now, as I felt like I was rushing the progression a bit before. Looking forward to adding the PPP in after I get my lean down!

Very few people have the biomechanics and/or flexibility to do a hands forward planche, the few that can are typically very light (kids). The more forward your hands, the more load your wrist and forearms takes and the more flexible your wrists need to be.

Hands back completely removes them from the equation. Everybody has to find the best hand position for them, a process of trial and error. Once I started doing straight arm frog stands it became clear to me that hands forward wasn't going to work for me, so I had to go back to square one and relearn the basic frog stand with my hands to the side. Hands to the side with fingers bent feels the most comfortable to me now. Hands to the side is about the same wrist angle as doing it on PB's.

I do planche leans and PPP's typically angled back moreso than when I'm doing straight arm frog stands. With them I want more load on my upper arm and shoulders, less on my wrists.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Interesting. I had assumed (apparently incorrectly) that in order for a planche to be considered a planche, one's hands had to be forward (just as one's hands need to be back for an elbow lever).

No, elbows locked with straight arms is what makes a planche. Hand position is entirely optional. Most adult men will be unable to do it with a hands forward position, the double whammy of lack of flexibility/mobility and weight will prevent it. Usually when you see someone performing a hands forward planche, they are either a boy or use a hand position where they are only on their fingers, which overcomes the flexibility issue while adding a whole lot more issues.

I'm still not quite sure what you call the bent elbow variant. I've seen it done. With an elbow lever your weight is on your elbows, a planche uses straight arms. I've never heard of what is in-between the two being given a name. Is it a bent arm planche, an advanced elbow lever, or something else entirely? It is possible to do though, it takes a lot of strength and is way harder than an elbow lever, but is is not as difficult as a planche. You tend to see this variant a lot among B-boys (they typically call it a planche).

Workout Log - 9/2

P90X Yoga X

- I was in a hurry and skipped the ab section aside from the final touch the sky.

This week is going to be a preplanned break week. I'm decreasing my intake to maintenance (and most likely will not be counting calories later in the week). We are going to be flying to Wi to go to a wedding later in the week. I need a break anyway. I'm feeling a lot better after an easy week, but after a week off I hopefully will be completely free of all aches and pains and sorenesses. After I get back I'll hit it hard for one more workout cycle before beginning to cut once again .

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Also, I've been thinking a lot about it, myo-rep sets are an absolutely awesome pairing with bodyweight work.

The main drawback with them is that there is an inherent danger of doing a lot of reps close to the edge of failure. With weights. You will invariably cross that line a fair amount. With weights doing exercises like back squats and bench presses, this is not particularly safe. Sure everyone should know how to bail, but at the same time bad things can happen with heavy weights. This is why it is called an advanced technique only for use by those with a lot of experience.

But low leverage bodyweight work does have a degree of safety built in. Failing on the way up on a pistol squat is no big deal, fall on your butt or put your other leg down, simple as that. You aren't going to hurt yourself unless you are doing them on broken glass. Same thing with a pushup and most other bodyweight exercises, failure just doesn't mean the same thing from a safety perspective.

My impression of doing them thus far is that it is an insanely efficient way to work.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

I'm still not quite sure what you call the bent elbow variant. I've seen it done. With an elbow lever your weight is on your elbows, a planche uses straight arms. I've never heard of what is in-between the two being given a name. Is it a bent arm planche, an advanced elbow lever, or something else entirely? It is possible to do though, it takes a lot of strength and is way harder than an elbow lever, but is is not as difficult as a planche. You tend to see this variant a lot among B-boys (they typically call it a planche).

Now that sounds like a fun progression! Could it double back and benefit advanced frog work as well?

Good luck with your rest week. Enjoy the hell out of it--you deserve every minute. =)

Train hard. Drink tea.

Ah back to normal after a week off.

It was real nice to take a break. Wow did sleep ever catch up with me. Managed to sleep A LOT. I ate like crap, but that is to be expected when traveling and predominantly eating out. Of course eating like crap is relative, seeing as though I had been trying to gain weight.

It is nice to spend a bit of time not sore. Though I gave myself a wiked case of bicep (shoulder) tendonitis carrying luggage through airport(s). I need to learn how to control straight arm strength in a real-life setting; I'm strong enough to tow heavy luggage straight armed without issue, my bicep tendons however were not so keen on it. The way back I made sure to keep my elbows bent, and problem solved.

But I feel as close to 100% as I've felt in a long time. No DOMS. No joint soreness here or there.

Today starts on last shorter workout cycle before returning to maintenence and then cutting. I'm going to begin cutting on October 29th, returning to maintenence on October 15th, so I have 5 more weeks of surplus to go this year.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Woooooooot!!!!!

Landings weren't always pretty, but I got on the chair 5 times with each leg (actually did 6 with the right, lost count).

Goal Accomplished

Workout Log - 9/10

Run 1/4 mile @ 6.0 mph warmup/cooldown

Kick Circuit x5

Lunge Matrix x5

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squat - 10 reps

BW Pistols - 5/5 reps

Plyo Pistols - 5/6 reps (onto chair)

DB Pistol (15 lb x 2) - 5/5 reps

DB Pistol (25 lb x 2) - 8/8, 8/8 reps

Assist Glute-Ham Raise - 5, 6, 6 reps (rep #6 very slow last 2 sets)

DB RDL (35 lb x 2) - 20 reps

- Took it a little easy, first workout back. Went hard, but kept volume under control.

- Legs were fresh, had some pop.

- Left knee feels great. Best it has felt in years. No pain whatsoever.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Huh.

Just noticed that today is the 1 year point. 1 year ago today I stepped on the scale, it said 262.x, and I made the decision to get in shape. Its been a long journey with ever changing goals, and I have a long way to go (there is no endpoint really), but its amazing the progress I've made.

1) Hard to tie shoes, stand up, knees always sore -> feeling like I could just jump around at any moment for the heck of it

2) 262.x -> 186.8 (low pt in early May) -> 199.0 (this am)

3) Couldn't even jog 1/8th mile lightly -> Easy runs of 5 miles are no problem

4) Couldn't do a BW squat, could only do 8 ugly pushups, couldn't do pullups -> workout log above

5) Size 40 pants were tight, had a pair of 42's, some XXL shirts were tight around belly -> size 36 are loose in the waist (34 are too tight), I sometimes purposely wear L shirts because they are tight around my chest

6) Looked pregnant -> have V shaped torso with waist >12" smaller than chest and visible abs

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Huh.

Just noticed that today is the 1 year point. 1 year ago today I stepped on the scale, it said 262.x, and I made the decision to get in shape. Its been a long journey with ever changing goals, and I have a long way to go (there is no endpoint really), but its amazing the progress I've made.

1) Hard to tie shoes, stand up, knees always sore -> feeling like I could just jump around at any moment for the heck of it

2) 262.x -> 186.8 (low pt in early May) -> 199.0 (this am)

3) Couldn't even jog 1/8th mile lightly -> Easy runs of 5 miles are no problem

4) Couldn't do a BW squat, could only do 8 ugly pushups, couldn't do pullups -> workout log above

5) Size 40 pants were tight, had a pair of 42's, some XXL shirts were tight around belly -> size 36 are loose in the waist (34 are too tight), I sometimes purposely wear L shirts because they are tight around my chest

6) Looked pregnant -> have V shaped torso with waist >12" smaller than chest and visible abs

'Cause you're a freekin' beast! Great job man!

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

Workout Log - 9/11

Dynamic Upper Body

Std warmup, mobility, prehab, and cooldown

Pullups - 18 reps

Wt. Pullups (+20 lb) - 7 reps

One Arm Pushups - 5/5, 5/5 reps

Tuck Front Lever Rows - 11, 8 reps

Headstand Pushups - 10, 10 reps

Pseudo Planche Pushups - 12, 12 reps

Dragon Flag (+5 sec hold each rep) - 5, 6 reps

DB Concentration Curls (35 lb) - 7/7, 7/7 reps

- Hardcore DOMS from yesterdays workout is setting in. I was cautious to limit the volume somewhat tonight. A week off brings the DOMS back.

- Looks like I'm going to miss my pullup goal. 18 isn't so bad though, a B effort. Good progress though, going from 10 to 18 in the span of a challenge is nothing to sneeze at.

- Same with the one arm pushup goal. More than anything that was a poor goal, I underestimated how hard it would be to eliminate all twisting and rotation. At least I'm growing my reps well in a more difficult form variant than I was using at the start of the challenge.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines