Perdi Prepares to Take the Tower! (Aug 6 through Sept 17)

Perdi

Only a week off, which went far too quickly, and already it's time for a new mission. Well, no rest for the wicked they say. Apparently there's a big mission coming up soon, and my mission right now is to train for that. I must be ready by the night of the September full moon. On that night I'll infiltrate the tower and climb to the top with my camera. 198 steps to the top and a 360 degree view of the City will be my reward. You can see all the way down to the Arch from the top of the reservoir hill. The tower itself is even higher.

Here's the objective:

Compton Heights Water Tower

Full Moon Viewings

Mission: Prepare to take the tower!

Perdi - Half-elven Assassin

Age 37

Height 5'5"

Weight 226.8 (weight at beginning of first challenge 228.2)

Waist 40"

Hips 51"

Str 2

Dex 2

Con 3

Sta 3

Wis 6.5

Cha 3

Fitness goals to get me to the top:

1) Exercise for at least 30 minutes at least 5 times a week. (+2 str +2 dex)

2) Continue to track calories daily at myfitnesspal (user name sukiheart if anyone wants to look me up). A slim assassin is a silent assassin. (+3 chr)

3) Climb 198 stairs in one climb. I managed 160 the other day. With the help of my inhaler and resting a lot. Not good enough yet. I have to get up that tower! The fate of the world depends on it! (+3 sta +2 con)

Life goal:

4) Find a new apartment (wis +3). Long story short, it's time for me to move on. I've had housemates for the last three years and while I love them and don't mind living with them, it was a hard adjustment after living on my own for years before I moved to this place. I want to live on my own again. I want to be closer to work again. I live in the city itself now, near the tower I'm going to be training to climb, in Tower Grove East (South City represent!). But I'd like to move to Southwest city (St. Louis Hills mayhaps?...or Lindenwood Park?) or back toward Maplewood or Webster Groves, to be closer to work and friends (Gas is killing my poor wallet!).

Note: For the non-natives, St. Louis City is an independent city; the county and the city "divorced" in the 1800's and the city is its own political entity and is not a part of St. Louis County. The City has 79 neighborhoods that each have their own unique feel. St. Louis County surrounds the city and much of it is pretty much an extension of the city. Maplewood, where I used to live, is a small town of 9000 people or so right on the border of the city itself, and to my mind is actually another neighborhood. To me, all the little towns in the county are basically neighborhoods too, though probably there are some St. Louisans who would consider that blasphemy. But for me The Hill, Compton Heights, Dogtown, Olivette, Maplewood, Maryland Heights....all are part of "St Louis".

So, those are the goals for this training mission. It'll be rough but rewarding, as I train for the next big mission :)

"What you want is irrelevant; what you've chosen is at hand." - Spock

Fun reward and good goals! Do you have a workout plan?

I do the Nerd Fitness Rebel Guide workouts. And sometimes make my own, using the exercises in the Rebel Guide and sometimes adding other body-weight exercises. Or sometimes I do the beginner body weight circuit. I also like hula hooping :) And I'll be climbing stairs in my 24 story office building so I can climb up that tower without holding up the lines of people. See, it's historic. That means a narrow, spiral staircase where there's likely no room for people to pass me on it. I want to be able to climb it well enough that I don't feel embarrassed holding up the other sightseers while I take a breather for an hour or something.

I'll go ahead and post my Fitocracy link. I'll post my myfitnesspal profile too, but I'm not making my food diary public yet. I am a bit embarrassed about all the junk I still eat. But it's baby steps. I started exercising first. Then I started counting calories. My food quality (fewer sweets, more veggies, etc) will change eventually. Currently, though, I'm seeing results just by counting the calories. But the food itself will have to change eventually. My goal isn't just skinny, it's healthy. I need to start eating food with vitamins in it. LOL! Moving will help that. I'll have a kitchen of my own again. I share a kitchen here, and I hate cooking in it (which is sad because I love cooking), so I don't cook anymore. Going to try to be in a new place on October 1 or November 1.

I'll go and figure out getting my Fitocracy and Myfitnesspal links in my signature. Until then, I'll post them here:

Fitocracy

Myfitnesspal

Welcome back!

Hm. I've been to the Lou many times, but never new this tower existed. Very cool! I've climbed up and down lighthouses quite a bit, and the reward at the top is totally worth it! This full-moon viewing sounds awesome!

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Welcome back!

Hm. I've been to the Lou many times, but never new this tower existed. Very cool! I've climbed up and down lighthouses quite a bit, and the reward at the top is totally worth it! This full-moon viewing sounds awesome!

There are only 7 of these standpipe towers left in the US. Chicago is famous for having one of them. Pfft. We have 3 of them! Take that, Chicago!

What an awesome goal! Just think of the day when you're able to climb it all the way up without stopping. One of my goals is 16 miles of walking. I want to include lots of hills, so I can hike up steep hills and stairs without getting winded.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

What an awesome goal! Just think of the day when you're able to climb it all the way up without stopping. One of my goals is 16 miles of walking. I want to include lots of hills, so I can hike up steep hills and stairs without getting winded.

16 miles is amazing! You can do it!

Monday's update. 160 stairs. Pounding heart. Heavy breathing. Trying again today during afternoon break from work. Training!

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2

So, I thought, what if I try to really pace myself? Go slow. Try to keep my breathing steady. Take short breaks every few landings rather than long breaks when I can no longer breathe easily (note: I have asthma, so I prep for the stairs with two puffs of albuterol). How many stairs can I climb up if I’m limited by my legs and not my lungs? Answer: 230. Then back down again. By the end of it, I was clinging onto the rail and inching my way down very carefully, because the shaking in my legs was not helpful. My legs were still a bit shaky and weak an hour later.

I had some almonds when I got back to my desk, for protein, and I had a lot of water. Even going slower than yesterday, my heart rate was still up and my breathing was heavy as I climbed. Still, I got up a lot more stairs than I thought I could. I kept telling myself, "Just one more set of ten". If 230 is my absolute max, I can maybe start shooting for 200 or 210 a day until I can do that reasonably comfortably, with less "oh-god-i'm-gonna-die" feeling at the end of the climb.

Any further working out today will involve only my arms. I think my legs can have a break tonight.

Speaking as an asthmatic, I'd advise that if you're using your reliever medication more than twice a week, you should see your doctor to review your medication, and find out if there's a better preventative medication that might suit you. I've found Symbicort is truly wonderful for me, and minor activities that used to leave me gasping for breath and reaching for my inhaler, like climbing up a tiny slope, or seconds of jogging, are now easily achievable without even a pause, and vigorous cardio that gets me out of breath is something I can *just recover from quickly*, and get my breath back. Like normal people do.

Good luck with your goals! :)

I have had Symbicort in the past, but I don't usually use my emergency inhaler more than once or twice every other month, so my doc and I agreed I don't need to have it at this time. My asthma is mild. I just figured I'd be proactive with the stairs since I know stairs get me out of breath and I like to be cautious. If I pace myself like I did on the last climb, I won't need the inhaler at all.

Tonight was supposed to be a night of rest, because of the DOMS from the 200+ stair climb. But I got a new LED hula hoop and it arrived in the mail! I had to try it out. So, unplanned exercise happened.

So, the DOMS from the 230 stairs were pretty amazingly rough. Haven't had them like that since the first day I started exercising after years of being relatively sedentary (which was only a few months back, really). So, most of the week's exercise sessions were gentle walking and hula hooping with the new hoop. And this weekend, I was camping so there was setting up and taking down camp along with nice walks in the woods. Since the goal is 30 minutes a day, and not a particular kind of exercise, it counts, but it just feels like I'm not doing quite enough. 30 minutes of just walking seems too light. But, the DOMS are long gone. Tomorrow I go to work with all those lovely stairs. Maybe 180 tomorrow. 20 more than the 160 I know I can do without regretting it the next day. Do 180 a couple times this week. Then 190 next week.

Do you do the hula hoop at night so you can see it glow? Good luck next week as you conquer the tower!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines