Orc emerges, sets foot on the path for the first time

veritate

Background Info

This will be my first challenge.

I found NF courtesy of a friend who linked to the Hobbit's Guide to Walking on Facebook the other day. It just seemed to coincide with me buying a new bike on which to commute to work, and being in the middle of an intensive week of belly dance practice.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of actually leveling up IRL.

I am 32, F, and live in Alberta, Canada. I study Middle Eastern Dance and I'm going into my seventh year of study. I perform with a troupe and my instructor has often referred to me as her strongest dancer. It is my dream to become a professional dancer, and get paid to do what I love.

Meanwhile, I weigh 250 lbs and simply do not fit the dancer-for-hire aesthetic.

So this is me, leveling up.

As far as the RPG aspect of it, I consider myself to be an Orc. Taller than the average female (based on a rudimentary survey of the women around me daily). Large, and, I'm told, growly and gruff. For profession, I'll go with Adventurer for now, but I eventually plan to move toward Ranger. I'm just getting the feel for all of this, after all!

Starting Stats

LEVEL 1 ORC ADVENTURER/ENCHANTRESS

Strength (STR) – 2

Dexterity (DEX) – 3

Stamina (STA) – 2

Constitution (CON) – 3

Wisdom (WIS) – 3

Charisma (CHA) – 2

Weight: 250 lbs

Height: 5' 7"

Neck: 15 in

Shoulder: 51 in

Chest: 43.5 in

Upper Arm: 17.5

Waist: 45 in

Hips: 52 in

Thigh: 29.5 in

Calf: 19 in

Clothing size: 2XL or 18/20

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4902[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]4903[/ATTACH]

My Goals

Fitness 1 - Complete at least five weeks of Couch-to-5K. = +3 to STA

I've done this before back in September 2011 and absolutely loved it.

Fitness 2 - Be able to complete one or two full circuits of the beginner Body Weight Workout = +4 to STR

At this point, I can barely do three push ups. I want to get to a point where I can do 10. A full second circuit would be awesome.

Diet 3 - Eat junk food no more than six times (i.e., once a week). = +3 to CON

My belly is made up of burgers, fries, Doritos and Pepsi slurpees. I have a serious (daily) junk food habit. If I were to say I was going cold turkey, I don't think I could be successful. So I'm going to set a realistic goal here and give myself a break.

Life - In bed by 11:30 on "school nights" = +2 CHA +2 CON +1 WIS

I am a notorious "insomniac". Can you see the air quotes there? What that means is I stay up messing around on the computer, or painting my nails, or whatever instead of going to bed. And when I finally do get to bed, it's absurdly late (like 2 or 3 a.m. for a 7 a.m. wake up call. Now a zombie, I stumble into work. I somehow make it through the day and then come home and sleep for three or four hours. O, hai 9 p.m. Now I can't get to sleep. Repeat.

My Progress

Week 1 Update

Week 2 Update - a few days late

Week 3 Update

post-8813-13567244602859_thumb.jpg

post-8813-1356724460311_thumb.jpg

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1
Orc Adventurer/Enchantress
STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2
First Challenge: Orc emerges, sets foot on the path for the first time

Current Challenge: Orc Enchantress Ventures Out Once More

Oi vey. Just realized I'll be in New York on a trip with my hubby for one week of this challenge. The junk food challenge is going to be interesting.

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

Those are some good starting goals.

I like the junk food one, because it's good to admit to yourself that cutting it out completely isn't easy. I'll be letting myself have a cheat once a week as well. Heck having junk food a lot less often means that it's more special when you have it... Save it for special occasions!

As for the New York thing... I think it will be a test, but I'm sure you can make it work. Just get something really good for your one time.

Oh and sorry if I sound like a little devil on your shoulder. I just agree wholeheartedly with having a cheat meal/snack every now and then instead of rigidly denying yourself any and all junk food.

Best of Luck! I'm rooting for you!

Thanks DylanAilDon! I might even save up a couple of my junk food indulgences and have more than one in New York. We'll see.

I just know that if I set goals I can't reach (or am unlikely to reach), then I may as well not set them at all. But considering the admittedly terrible daily junk food habit I have sustained for my entire adult life, cutting it back to once a week is certain to yield results.

I need to concentrate on fueling my dancer's body. I wouldn't put greasy fries and sloppy slurpees on my $600 jewel-encrusted costume, so why would I put it in my mouth? (Not a perfect analogy because I wouldn't put grilled chicken on my costume either but you get the idea.)

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

I just know that if I set goals I can't reach (or am unlikely to reach), then I may as well not set them at all. But considering the admittedly terrible daily junk food habit I have sustained for my entire adult life, cutting it back to once a week is certain to yield results.

Same here. I have a mouth full of sweet teeth, so I know that cutting them out entirely would make it more likely for me to fall off the wagon. Better to set goals you know you can reach, even if they aren't "perfect" or "ideal"(My opinion on perfection being that it doesn't exist, while ideals are subjective), than to set impossible goals. Any progress is still progress.

As I said before, I'm rooting for you! And enjoy New York.

Sleep goals are useful. *Doesn't have one, wishes he did*

It would be more convenient if everything I did didn't happen at night (evening practices/lessons/social events).

Good on you for keeping it up, I wish I could... But I'm a bit of an insomniac too.

Anyways, hope your challenge is going well. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

I have 2 alarms on my phone that go off at night. One at 8pm -- that's the "stop playing video games/wasting time on the computer and get ready for bed" alarm. The second, at 9pm, is the "I really mean it, stop right now and get ready for bed!" alarm. The second one has the most obnoxious ringtone I could find.

I do still ignore them frequently (oops), but they do at least keep me conscious of what time it is, so that when the second one goes off (and I'm still playing around) I know that I'm starting to cut in to my sleep time. (And then there are the nights when I stop games/computer and start reading instead, and I still wind up in bed late because "just one more chapter!")

Week 1 Update

Weight: 246 lbs (down 4 lbs)

{TRYING TO ADD PROGRESS PHOTOS BUT GETTING ERROR MESSAGES}

My Goals

I've completed 2 out of 3 runs for week 1. On track so far, but I'd like to be further ahead with this.

Fitness 2 - Be able to complete one or two full circuits of the beginner Body Weight Workout = +4 to STR

I really haven't worked hard enough in this area. Tried one circuit. Upper body and core strength are pitiful. Trying to drop down and bust out a couple push ups here and there. Going to work harder this week.

I've indulged in junk food 2 out of my allowed 6 times in the first week. (Treated myself to a slurpee Friday night and then Saturday hubs and I celebrated our 10th anniversary, so I indulged in champagne and dessert.) These treats were planned and deliberate. It felt good to be in control and I truly enjoyed them.

Otherwise, it has been nothing but lean meat, eggs, fresh veggies and home-made meals. I even made my own Tsatziki sauce! That is the true reason I'm down four pounds.

Knocked this out of the park. Boo-ya! Some nights I was even in bed before 10:30. Tonight is another school night, so I will be in bed before 11:30 again tonight. Before that, I will pack my lunch for tomorrow and I will also set my workout clothes out. Tomorrow I will squat and lunge and push and plank until I drop.

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

Down 4 pounds in a week is nice!

Really nice step wise approach on the junk food. You could also explore something like cutting out liquid calories first(completely) and then take it from there. I found that helpful with my junk food habits.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your support, cyberyrate!

Re: cutting liquid calories - I really did that years ago*. I don't drink juice. Milk upsets my stomach. I do have a big diet soda habit, but that is non-caloric, so I know that liquid calories are not an issue. Water or diet soda is what I drink. Although, when I go to Starbucks, it's the mocha frappuccino that is my drink - sweet, chocolaty, made with milk. It upset my stomach but I loved it. I haven't had one of those in a couple weeks.

I didn't make kicking the diet soda part of my goals this time because again, I didn't want to set myself up for failure. But yes, liquid calories are sneaky and SO easy to forget.

I'm what they call a "Level 1" eater. For the most part, I relied (notice the past-tense here?) on restaurants and their "value combos" to feed me. The Wendy's Drive-Thru people knew me well. Making the switch to planned meals is a big leap and although my first week was pretty successful, I knew I would struggle at some point. And I'm struggling now, just in the last couple of days, but I'm determined.

Part of my struggle now is not going crazy and trying to make big, sweeping changes. I have never been diagnosed with ADD but it is SO DIFFICULT for me to follow through on a plan. I've been reading about Whole 30 and suddenly I find myself struggling as I plan a meal: I have suddenly started questioning whether my cottage cheese is "allowed", for example.

I have to remind myself I haven't sworn off dairy or grains or legumes at this point; only that I would be eating whole food meals that aren't junk! It's really easy to over-complicate things. I need to give myself permission to change slowly. To stay this course. I have seen decent results and I need to give it time before I go messing with it!\

*EDIT: With one major exception and you have caused me to realize it! Pepsi slurpees! OMG. Every day. Sometimes two a day on a really hot afternoon. And of course, if I get the slurpee, I had to have the chips. And chocolate bar. I had one last week as my indulgence. One per week compared to four or five is a definite improvement!

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

Just checking in to say I have engaged the beast.

Tonight I did a full 10 "girl push-ups". That's about twice as many as I've been able to do in years. I believe I took a break or two but no more than a few seconds.

I also held a plank for 5 sec X 3 and then I decided to go for it and did 11 sec! Planks are my nemesis and I am determined to slay the plank beast!

Tomorrow I will do Week 1, Day 3 of the C25K running program (haven't run since Thursday).

Onward!

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

Awesome! Congrats on all of the progress, it's great to see that you're well on your way to achieving your goals.

I know that the end results will be awesome and I can't wait to see them.

Congrats on keeping control and planning out the "cheats"/indulgences; it makes them so much more worth it doesn't it?

I'll admit I've done one, but I also did end up slipping up a little bit though. But the others are getting planned too and thanks to you I'm inspired to stick to it!

The healthy homemade meals help so much, I just worry that I'll start getting repetitive with recipes.

Great work on the fitness goals. The Plank Beast is the foe of many, myself included.

As for the sleep goal, well that takes a lot of effort. *Is jealous of your consistency and self-control*

Anyways, just thought I'd keep cheering you on!

and as you said: "ONWARD!"

How does one slay the plank beast? I feel like hitting it with a big stick would be counter-productive. ^_^

But big woo-hoo on GIRL PUSHUPS! :D Seriously, they're starting to become my favorite part of working out because I feel all aggressive and powerful afterwards. XD

It's good that you're reminding yourself not to over-complicate things in terms of dieting. What is the phrase, "Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good"?

But yes. ONWARD. ^_^

Dwarf Adventurer

Level: 0 <--so sad!

STR:2 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:3 CHA:4

"You give into distraction as if it is a murderer. You lay there, waiting to be killed. Today: fight for your life." -Miranda July

Current Challenge:--Slaying the Beast of Maybe Tomorrow

How does one slay the plank beast? I feel like hitting it with a big stick would be counter-productive. ^_^

*Pulls out an imaginary copy of "The Nerd Fitness Monster Manual", flicks through pages searching for more info.*

The Plank Beast appears to be one of those creatures of legend that can only be defeated under certain conditions or with certain things. Sadly I do not know its weakness, so I have not been capable of slaying it myself; I can only hold my own for so long...

*There totally should be a NF Monster Manual now that I think of it!*

Week 2 Update (late)

Weight: 244 lbs (down another 2 lbs, 6 lbs altogether)

I am under attack. A vile pathogen has invaded my sinuses and knocked me flat for the last three (going on four) days, hence the late update. I am resolved to succeed yet unable to work towards my fitness goals. I am struggling now to just maintain a nutritious diet. Luckily I did some cooking Saturday night - roasted some vegetables and threw a stew together. It has provided some sustainance but I have depleated my reserves. Here's where the rubber meets the road, as it were - where the mice are separated from the orcs. Here is where I can either overcome this foe on my path to Awesomeness or go home to my hovel and remain a level 1 nobody.

I may have to amend my goals (especially my running one) in light of this unforeseeable setback, but I will not go back to the hovel.

My Goals

My brain is a little foggy but I think I completed at least one more run this week. Not nearly enough, but it was a GREAT run. Thought I would really struggle, not having run for a week, but perhaps my strength training helped me stay in good form? Now, having been sick for four days (and this being a virus, may turn into a whole week), I may amend this goal. I'm planning a way to do a couple runs while on vacation in NYC - hotel may have a gym with treadmills.

As per a couple of posts this week, I am moving forward here. Again, not as aggressively as I'd like. But progress is more important than perfection, especially with this being my first challenge and I am basically untested - I don't know my limits and it may be that my plan to workout six days a week is overambitious. Still, I may be able to get there if I can get over this cold.

2 more indulgences this week for a total of 4 out of 6. Again, this is still a VAST improvement over my lifestyle three weeks ago and again, I truly believe my improved nutrition is the reason for my 2 lb weight loss. Four weeks to go and only 2 indulgences allowed. It's called a CHALLENGE for a reason. I can do it.

Yup. No problems here. Takes discipline but I am doing very well here.

Commentary

We will see, with this cold, how my body responds. I'm trying to give it rest, rest, rest and lots of fluids. I've also not put so much emphasis on carb restriction as the last couple of weeks, though I haven't run out to Wendy's for the "medium" fries and frosty I used to eat nearly every night. My body may retain, gain or lose with this sickness. I'm not going to put too much stock in the scale at the end of the week. Just do what I can to get well and not lose ground.

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

good on yeh for not giving in even when your body says it hates you in the current moment! just remind your self that the fast food isn't going to make your body fight the cold any better. also as someone who works with calibrated equipment; scales of all sizes seem to be notorious for losing their accuracy (the ones we use are either much larger or smaller but they still have to be checked every year for accuracy) your doing great! hope you get better soon and can more gallantly walk (strut) your path of awesome!

LVL-1 adventurer

aspiring to be a warrior/monk/assassin

Str: 3 | Dex: 3 | Sta: 2 | Con:2 | Wis:1 | Cha: 4

"Courage takes many forms. There is physical courage, there is moral courage. Then there is a still higher type of courage--the courage to brave pain, to live with it, to never let others know of it and to still find joy in life; to wake up in the morning with an enthusiasm for the day ahead.â€

Feel better soon!

Keep it up. And as you yourself said, progress is better than perfection; don't stop moving forward, even if it's just little steps while you recover.

Enjoy NYC. I'm glad to hear that going on holiday doesn't mean leaving this challenge behind. Every little bit is a step in the right direction, but don't forget to have fun. *I know you won't forget, but I still felt like giving that advice*

As for the indulgences, well I know you can do it. Challenges are a great motivator; some days it's the only reason I force myself to work out or resist temptation, but in the end it'll be worth it!

I am alive.

I've got this cold on its knees. It's not over yet, though. Sitting upright is easier but still somewhat exhausting. My breathing capacity is still not 100 per cent, and I'm still sneezing. I can't foresee doing any exercise for a few more days.

This week has been a complete waste. Bah.

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

I doubt that it was a complete waste...

So perhaps the exercise part of the week was put on hold in order for you to recover, which to me sounds like a necessary step.

It's happened to me before too: I occasionally have my dust allergy hit me like a ton of bricks (mostly hacking up a lung, exacerbated by exercise and nighttime), to the point where I would have to miss a week's worth of practices to recover. At one point my former coach openly considered forbidding me from coming to practice until I recovered.

So I would say that it isn't ideal, but ideals aren't always realistic. People get sick and there's no way to prevent it 100%. At least you know your limits.

You're human. *Ok an Orc for the purpose of your stats, but my point remains valid*

I'm sure you stuck with the food part, you even mentioned that you would keep eating healthy, perhaps not as healthy, but not fast food either. That to me is still not a waste...

And you've kept up your sleep goal too. So it's not as if you've completely abandoned the challenge.

I don't think this week was a waste, and since we're only halfway through the challenge, you can still achieve your goals.

I agree. It's not a waste to get yourself healthy again, and it's not a waste if you still do the things you are able to do.

C'mon, Tate, it's the last stretch of this mini-boss battle -- the Pathogen Beasties' hit points are low. Keep hitting 'em with everything you've got!

Week 3 Update (late again)

Weight: 242 lbs (down another 2 lbs, 8 lbs altogether)

No exercise. Shoddy nutrition. Just sleep and Skyrim as I fought the Battle of Sinus Cavity.

I will amend my goals (especially my running one) in light of this unforeseeable setback, but I will not go back to the hovel.

My Goals

Nada. I think I'm going to edit this to be "at least four weeks".

Zip.

A bag of chips. Pizza and wings. Slurpee and chocolate bar. I'm over my "limit". So what I think I'll do is deduct one point of CON to my earnings for every indulgence past my limit.

And how! Sometimes I was in bed by 10. Made a decision to stay up late last night (in week 4) to jump at an opportunity I've been awaiting for months. Couldn't let it slip by.

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines