Rivanariko - On the move

Rivanariko

Riva sat quietly near the canopy of the tree, eyes distant as her thoughts played over the recent battle. There was something disturbing about fighting with yourself, something that makes you feel... not quite right with yourself. It wasn't something she could specifically put her finger on, just a general feeling of unease. Even though the fight was won, it had been made clear that the war was far from over and she would be seeing this enemy again, something that chilled her to the bone.

A rustle of feathers brought her attention skyward as the carrier pidgeon descended towards her. She held out her hand and the bird settled on her wrist. Riva quickly removed the scrap of paper and unrolled it. A location, followed by the guild seal was all. She stared at it for a moment before crumpling it and stuffing it in her pack, to burn at her campfire that night. She attached her insignia to the bird and released it, so that the guild would know that the message had been received. Her instructions were clear, and she knew that the guild would provide her with more information as she needed it. It was time to go.

I think I learned a bit about the kind of goals I need to set last challenge, and where my specific weaknesses might lie. So let's try this again.

Name: Riva Nariko

Race: Pixie

Class: Assassin

Weight: 130.4

Body Fat: 26.8%

Height: 5'1

Natural Waist: 28

At the Belly Button: 31

Goals

1. Freestanding Handstand: Take 2

Last challenge I aimed for a freestanding handstand. I can now kick up against the wall fairly reliably, and can pull my feel away for a second or two. I need to work on gaining the strength that I need to kick up into a freestanding handstand, as well as get over the fear of falling. I will be practicing this outside (yes, where people can see me!) so that "there aren't any good walls to practice on and I don't want to fall on the hard wood" won't be an excuse. I will be supplementing with core stability exercises to help in holding the handstand when I get up there.

Reward: +3 DEX

2. Distance-based training 3 times a week

My stamina score is frightfully low. I will do some sort of distanced-based workout three days a week to work on this. This could be running, biking, walking, swimming, etc. Anything that is measured in distance traveled. Because I have a habit of thinking that weeks last forever on Sunday and trying to do all of my "3 times a week" on Friday and Saturday, I am sectioning off the week. Each workout must be performed within it's designated portion to count. The sections are Sunday/Monday, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, Friday/Saturday. I must get a work out in each of these sections to fully meet this goal. If I go running on Sunday and Monday, I still have to do two more, one in each section, the rest of the week. This is to try to build the habit of consistency, rather than crunching it all in at the last minute.

Reward: +4 STA

3. 10 Burpees a day

I need more burpees in my life, despite how much I hate them. We're going to try to make friends.

Reward: +2 STR +1 DEX

4. Declutter/Clean 15 minutes or more a day, 6 days a week

I'm giving myself one free day a week, though I'll try to be consistent and do it every day I don't want to feel like a failure because I wasn't perfect. We have WAY too much stuff, most of which we don't need. I would like to be rid of the majority of this stuff before we move next spring, and that process needs to start NOW. More than 15 minutes is acceptable, but does not count towards another day's decluttering. This goal is also paused if I am out of town/not in my home at all. This goal is not paused if I am working a 12 or 16 hour shift, as I am still at home for some of the day and can replace my computer time with cleaning time. Only if I am out of town and physically unable to clean my house due to it being in another state.

Reward: +1 STA +2 CON +2 WIS

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Oh, man, I totally need to add burpees to my workout too. Godspeed to you.

I'm not sure if you will like it or not, but for cleaning your house, a great help tool/motivator is http://preview.tinyurl.com/7hbez52 (warning for copious amounts of salty language). It's honestly done more for me in a week than anything has in my life in any period of time. The 20/10 system is very suited to your goal, too.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

I've tried to use FlyLady in the past, but just find it so unrealistic to my life (no kids, work weird hours on weekends that are opposite of my husband's, large long-haired dogs and cats, appliances that hate me and like to break, and not a lot of disposable income to spend on random things to "make my life easier"). That site looks so much more my style. Thank you! I'm going to waste a large amount of time over the next several days exploring it. Wonder if I can figure out a way to access it offline so I can read through it on the train...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

I'm also working on trying to get my handstand free of the confines of a wall. Do you have a plan of how you are going to go about making the transition?

Not particularly, besides "Try until I stop failing". I think I'm going to spend a decent amount of time practicing forward rolls so that I can convince myself that if I lose my balance or kick over too far I won't die in flames. I should probably put some more research into this. Let me know if you stumble upon anything that sounds good!

Will do. You've got the same non plan as me at this point. :)

What a coincidence, that's my non plan too! ;)

Sadly my neighbours are not particularly supportive in my handstand quest and now I'm also forced to play outside... Let me know if you come up with a strategy!

Good luck with your goals!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Aerial assassin

STR 5.5 | DEX 7 | STA 4.5 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5

Challenge!

I'll be playing outside simply because the only room that I felt had enough space (and carpet) to practice handstands in has now been turned into a giant drying rack, thanks to my dryer dying a long and painful death.

I feel like we need to start some sort of "handstands without a plan" group or something!

The soft glow of her campfire wasn't enough to dim Riva's view of the stars. She gave herself an inward pat on the back, she'd covered a lot of ground today. Hopefully, if she could keep up this pace, she would be able to respond the Guild's summons sooner than she had imagined.

Got the challenge off to a good start today. Went through my dresser and my closet and pulled out clothes that I don't wear anymore/are worn out/don't fit/I don't need. Put them in a box. When I get back from my next trip, that box will go to Good Will. I'm so happy with the way my drawers look right now. Didn't pull a lot out of my closet, but I don't have a whole lot in there to begin with. I will probably do this again before the end of the challenge, as I'm sure there is more that I could part with once I get into the motion of it.

Rode my bike out to the barn with my dog. Went with a friend and her dog and I almost feel like it's cheating to count it as a workout. She has an Aussie mix with weak pasterns, so she doesn't like to push him as fast as when we ride without dogs, or even if my dog is with us (Husky mix. He doesn't get tired.) But, it was still 4.36 miles of biking, so it counts. I also REALLY need to come up with a reward for my bonus Bike With Dog challenge. I'm going to be done with it before I know it and then I'll be mad that I don't get something out of it.

Got my 10 Burpees in after I got home this evening while packing for my trip tomorrow. They're very sloppy and sad burpees right now, but they'll get better, I promise!

I'm thinking of issuing myself a mini-challenge on the train tomorrow. It's a long ride between Minot and Portland (about 27 hours, if I remember right. Assuming there are no delays, which I've been told to expect 2-5 hour delays due to extreme heat. Apparently trains don't like summer.) with a lot of "smoking stops" along the way. I don't smoke, but I'm going to try to make them work-out stops instead. Get off the train and 10 reps of some sort of exercise. Mix it up between push-ups, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, etc. We'll see if I have the nerve to really do it. It's a great test for getting over my terror of working out in the presence of other humans. Will also hopefully make up for SOME of the crap that I always eat on the train. I am excused from this if I am sleeping, of course. Or if it's the middle of the night and I don't want to get off and wander around the station in the dark, since I'm not very good at sleeping on the train.

Bonus points for asking a stranger to spot a handstand. ;)

Haha, I can just imagine that! "Excuse me sir, would you mind grabbing my feet for me?"

I'll get back to you on that :-P

Haha, I can just imagine that! "Excuse me sir, would you mind grabbing my feet for me?"

I'll get back to you on that :-P

As long as you're asking a stranger to spot your handstand, asking an additional stranger to take a picture for you to post here on NF shouldn't be a problem, right? ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Riva huffed quietly at the clouded night sky. Almost a week now without a star in the sky. So much for that quick progress she had been making. She was sure she was off course, but didn't know by how much and couldn't correct it until she had something to navigate by again. Note to self: learn other methods of navigation other than stars. It was pretty embarrassing for an assassin to be lost like this. Just then, a breeze shifted and a small pocket of sky opened above her. Riva held her breath as a small section of stars was laid before her. It was enough. She was off course, but thankfully not as far as she had feared. Adjusting her path, she set off once again.

Ugh, worst train ride ever. I am ashamed to admit that I chickened out on the first station stop, slept through the next couple, and then they blew through the remaining ones due to being extremely delayed due to a derailment farther down the tracks (which is incredibly tragic). So while we sat with the train immobile in Havre, Montana for 2.5 hours, they pulled 20 feet out of the station so that we couldn't get off and move around. So no bonus points for working out across Montana for me. :(

Didn't do any burpees while I was out of town, but did get them in today. I am going to give myself a distance workout for the middle of last week because there was a lot of walking up and down hills and chasing buses in high heels during my friend's bachelorette party. None for the end of the week though, and none for the beginning of this week.

Today I walked to a friend's house, which is only a few blocks away, but I tried to make up for the first guild challenge that I missed. Got wrapped up in watching Stargate episodes on netflix and wasn't watching the time, so I walked home in the dark. Kicked off my shoes because my sandals were making too much noise on the pavement. Love the feeling of walking barefoot at night.

Tomorrow morning I have TKD day camp for 3 hours, we'll see how that goes. I was supposed to go today, but my train got in 6 hours late, which put me home just 4 hours before I was supposed to be at the studio having not slept in 3 days (I don't sleep on trains/planes/in cars) so I decided to try to catch up on some sleep and aim for the rest of the week.

And now I think I'm going to head to bed. Still have quite a bit of sleep to catch up on.

Week 1:

Burpee sets: 1/7

Distance: 2/3

Decluttering: 1/1

Week 2 (so far):

Burpee sets: 1/7

Distance: 0/3

Decluttering: 1/5

bummer that they wouldn't let you get out at the train stop. I was looking forward to you asking a random stranger for handstand help.

Good job on burpees-I hate burpees- so I'm always impressed when people do them

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I also hate burpees. I discovered my hatred for them in my first challenge back with the Adventurers, but I I figure if I hate them that much they must be REALLY good for me.

Dillpedo - I think it's going to be a LONG time before I try to do anything in heels again, I ended up with open sores on my feet from where they rubbed (never had that pair rub before, weird) which I had to cover up with make-up for the wedding three days later. Not fun.

Totally exhausted from day camp today. I was the second oldest there (only 3 adults) and the lowest ranking. I still managed to kick the 14 year old black belt who was an assistant instructor's ass in a grappling game, and accidently threw the head of the school during another drill. I feel like an assassin now. I think people underestimate how strong I am due to my being so tiny.

Dude, you're kicking ass, keep at it. Also, I feel close to you because of A) The Dune quote in our signatures and B)Burpees. I can only do five consecutively, currently (though more than that spaced out in my circuit). I have the same mentality: they suck, they must be good for me.

Keep killing it.

"In the silence of your bones and eyes forgotten magic sits and waits for fire." 

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

human assassin | viper jock
STA: 6.25 | STR: 6.5 | CHA: 9 | WIS: 12 | DEX: 5 | CON: 6.5

Sister's Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

Fitocracy

I feel like an assassin now. I think people underestimate how strong I am due to my being so tiny.

That's what makes tiny assasins the best. We can sneak up on people because they underestimate us!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Dude, you're kicking ass, keep at it. Also, I feel close to you because of A) The Dune quote in our signatures and B)Burpees. I can only do five consecutively, currently (though more than that spaced out in my circuit). I have the same mentality: they suck, they must be good for me.

Keep killing it.

I can only do about 5 good Burpees, the next 5 are some sort of interpretive dance where I'm falling on the floor and then trying to drag myself up and give a half-hearted hop. I'm hoping by the end of this challenge I'll be able to dominate a set of 10 Burpees. Or at lest not feel like I'm going to die.

I only did 5 today, which I'm okay with because, as I said, camp was a beast.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Or you keep it in you Bag of Holding.

Exercise of the day during day camp: Burpees. Oh dear God. At least I don't have to do anymore tonight. Going for a walk with a friend in a little bit. Seriously slacking on the decluttering part this week, I haven't even unpacked my bags from my trip yet. Got to do that today.

Oh. And I hurt. Everywhere. I cannot remember the last time I was this full-body sore. The head instructor made a joking comment to me and another woman as we were leaving (we're usually partners, as we're the adults, the we tend to be... feisty) that we should be limping out there bleeding and crying. We proceeded to point out all of the places where we'd managed to hurt each other today. (she slammed my face into the mat, I got a little too excited in a take down and knocked the wind out of her, she kicked me in the face at one point, I didn't tap out soon enough on the arm bar and she bent my elbow back, I was lazy on my joint set up while doing jabs and hurt the outside of my hand, I've got bruises on both knees (I don't know what those are from) and bruises on my upper arms from practicing blocks...) But in general, even without the minor injuries, every muscle in my body is crying right now. I'm thinking maybe I should do some yoga or something tonight...

Only one more day though, which is bittersweet. I don't think I could keep up this pace forever, but I really like how I feel after having worked hard for that long. Tomorrow is also testing day, so I don't know if we'll be going quite as hard, since we'll be busy with that. I'm also starting to think about picking up Jui Jitsu. They've been incorporating a lot of Jui Jitsu elements and I'm surprised by how much fun I'm having with that part. Being little and squirrely puts me at an advantage there!

Ow. I hurt everywhere. Last day of TKD day camp today, tested and earned my yellow belt, so yay! I have a new belt. Lots of burpees again today, so I don't have to worry about those this evening. Double yay on that, because I'm not sure if I could manage it.

I'm really sad that I have to leave for work in an hour. I don't know how I'm going to stay awake through my shift. I'm so exhausted right now. Think I'll go take a shower and hopefully that'll revive me a bit, and maybe work on some of these muscles that are very, very angry at me.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines