newb adventurer 1st challenge

Siuken

So i was directed to this guild by my friend Clark, since I'm extremely over weight and need a place to begin my journey. Also bear with me I'm a very, very bad speller.

so for this challenge my fitness goals are

• workout every day for at least 15 minuets a day. +3 st and +2 dex if completed every day
  • to go swimming at least twice a week (if its raining to do an equivilent cardio exercise) +3 sta and +2 dex, if completed every week
  • to walk at least three times a week (if its raining to do an equivilent cardio exercise)+ 2 dex if completed each week

my life goal is

Also on as a personal side quest I would like to at least lose 10 pounds this challenge. I'm really excited about beginning my awesome journey of self improving!

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

| STR - 2 | DEX - 2 | INT- 3 | CON - 2 | WIS - 3 | CHA - 3 |

Previous challenge: Respawn of a swordmage

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream- C. S. Lewis

Embrace your dreams. If you want to be a hero, you need to have dreams- Zack Fair FF7 Crisis core

A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage- Hero shade (The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess)

Siuken,

I'm a newbie as well and looking forward to getting started on this challenge. Great having you on board as well!

Phoenixk26

Level 1: Shapeshifting Adventurer

STR:3 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:5 WIS:2 CHA:1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.†-Walt Disney

As a librarian, I approve of your life goal!!! ;) but seriously, that list is rad. Which books are you going to pick for your (at least) two? I was surprised to not see Treasure Island on that list, considering all the other boys' adventure stories.

Might I suggest hitting up your local public library for the books? :) that way you can spend your dollars on other stuff!! :P I was also going to suggest giving the hobbit a shot, if you haven't read it yet. We can't keep it on the shelf usually, but with the movie coming out soon, everyone and their dog is reading or re-reading it. Great book :)

August 6th - September 17th:

Isobel's 1st Challenge: "Time To Book It!"

"Outside of a dog, a book is a [wo]man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Yes, the life goal is great. It isn't on my list for goals, but it is something I will do. We talked about starting with 1984, not sure if he as started it yet though. I thought Treasure Island was on the list, I guess not. I have that one on my kindle as well though. :)

6'1'' ~271 lbs. (-14 8-5-12, -49 from max)

back to 290 :( 6/5/14

Clark - SE TN, US
Married +3 boys (11,5,2)
http://www.facebook.com/clarkbryant
http://www.twitter.com/clark_bryant
https://www.fitbit.com/user/2DYTCZ

yeah library power - absolutely visit the library! I have book reading as my life goal as well. and i definitely got copies from the library. if your public library does not have the book you want on the shelf, ask about interlibrary loan.

welcome aboard!!

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

I work in a book store that lets us borrow books, so I got that covered. I was thinking about reading 1984 and brave new world.

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Embrace your dreams. If you want to be a hero, you need to have dreams- Zack Fair FF7 Crisis core

A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage- Hero shade (The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess)

So I accomplished all of the goals today. Went swimming for about two hours with some friends, didn't realize that 15 minuets were going to be as difficult going straight though, so I broke it up into 5 minuet intervals. But over all I think it was a great start to the first week.

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

So I forgot to write about yesterday, it went well. I finished the first chapter and a half of 1984 and so far it seems pretty good! These work outs are kicking my butt tho. I did 60 half squats and my legs are sore, I'm also finding it difficult to get super motivated. For instance, when I am exercising I can go for a bit, but its the rev up to start that gets me.

Today I spent most of my day in a car. Went to Atlanta International to pick up my friends, I still did my 100 wall push ups but, sigh, I didn't get in a full 15 minuet work out. But still moving on, some is better than none and I am new to this. Perseverance!

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

update:8/11/12

this week has supremely sucked.

One of my best friends went back home to England : (

I've continued to be lazy in the mornings and haven't walked at all this week and have gone swimming once.

SO! Starting NOW, no more Mr. nice guy! I gotta kick it in to high gear:

I'm going to move my alarm across the room so I have to get up to turn it off.

Going to cut out deep fried foods (or just fast food in general). Any one have tasty recipes?

No more negative attitude, doesn't help my family, or myself.

On a plus side I have continued to do my wall pushups, doing at least 100 a day. and I am on chapter 4 of 1984. So far so good....kind of

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Ah ha! 1984!! Good for you. Keep reading! Even if it's only in tiny bits, every little bit counts.

Keep on keeping on working toward your goals. Change is difficult, especially when it comes to learning new habits that are kinda sucky at first. We're all rootin' for ya. Keep posting your progress so we can help you stay motivated! :)

I love sharing recipes! What kind of foods are you interested in learning to cook? I mentioned it in another post of mine on somebody's thread, but I really, really like Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution cookbook. It has lots of basic ingredients with lots of pictures and easy-to-understand instructions. Plus the food comes out super tasty. Some of my favourites are Chicken Tikka Masala, A Cracking Burger, or the uber simple yet delicious Crunchy Garlic Chicken strips. Yummm. Pair those with some greens and crunchy fresh veg. Sooo good.

August 6th - September 17th:

Isobel's 1st Challenge: "Time To Book It!"

"Outside of a dog, a book is a [wo]man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Yeah I have a new born son, so the only time I have to read is my 30 minute lunch at work.

Those recipes look awesome! I love Indian food so the Masala looks like a winner to me!

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

So today sucked, but at the same time was awesome! Its not one of my goals, but I decided to stop eating deep fried foods, and that started today, I grabbed some breakfast from Wendys and the lady there threw in some hash browns for free....fail! lol. I didn't eat them tho, gave them to my boss. I also went running for a bit today. A whole 3:30 minutes, WHOO! I'm tired and sweaty but it felt good! Also a bit further in the Book I'm reading! Overall great day!

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

So very sore today, did a light workout. Also posted on the mini challenge #2 which got me thinking I need to plan my day, even down to what I eat so I have a record of whats going in my body.

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

thanks!

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

So yesterday I did the angry birds workout and swam. Pretty worn out today as my abs are very, very sore. Planks suck! So no work out, but I did get further in my reading and I started using http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ to monitor what i eat and how much calories I intake. Did pretty well today and am looking forward to tomorrow!

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

So week 3 its progressing pretty good. I've spread my 15 minuet workout to 5 minuet intervals. I have also continued my reading and am complete with 1984! Good book, kind of paranoia provoking tho lol. Onward to a Brave New World!

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Saturdays are hard for me. Its game night and every Saturday my friend buys pizza for each of us. And every Saturday I eat an entire medium pizza myself. Sigh, and I was doing so well on my calories. Well, here we go again!

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

This week has been great!!!! I'm down to 300 lbs from 304 and I've started running/walking more. I bought https://www.zombiesrungame.com/ and completed the first mission which was killer! I have been reading like crazy and may finish A Brave New World by next week. Swimming has slowed as it has been cooler, but I've kept up with equivalent cardio. Also my workouts have improved with the addition of angry birds!

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

295 Since last Monday!

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Last week was pretty much an epic fail. Didn't read, didn't exercise much and ate WAY over my calorie limits. went from 295 to 298.

Motivation is my main weakness. I could make excuses like I have a three month year old son and I work all the time, but it wouldn't benefit me.

I am the captain of my fate. Learning to dust your self off is apart of this process right?

So far this week I've been Keeping with my goals. I finished Brave New World and may start reading the Ian Fleming books, I haven't fully decided.

Also my quest to kick the sugary drink habit has been one month successful! (only water and coffee with 2%)

my body weight exercises have slaked a bit, but I'm reigning that in.

Swimming has been....well put on hold as it has been just perfectly cold weather here.

Walking has been a fail. I walk/run once a week. not enough!

So in a nut shell, I'm losing weight, but I don't think its because of my goals. I think they have been more of my self imposed "mini quests".

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Wow I can’t believe this challenge is over. But it was great, even though I didn’t do as well as I would have liked. So here it goes

My challenges were

• Workout every day for at least 15 minutes a day. +3 st and +2 dex if completed every day

I did most days; I’d say around 75%. But 15 minuets…sadly for me was …..too much. I did about 5 minutes every day consistently. +1.5st and +1dex

• To go swimming at least twice a week (if it’s raining to do an equivalent cardio exercise) +3 sta and +2 dex, if completed every week.

For 5 weeks this was done constantly! Buy it grew colder and colder and so swimming was put on hiatus as I have no access to a heated pool, so +1.5 sta and +1 dex

• To walk at least three times a week (if it’s raining to do an equivalent cardio exercise)+ 2 dex if completed each week

I was lucky to do this once a week. Sadly no points.

My life goal was

• To begin reading from http://artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14...-mans-library/ +3 wis if completed reading at least 2 books

This was a fun goal! And I completed it with time to spare, so I began to read another book; but I didn’t finish that one before the end of the challenge. +3 Wis!

Mini Challenges

• Week 1 Mini-Challenge: Educate Thyself (+1 wis)

Quest: Research a topic you have interest in, particularly relating to your personal challenge goals, whether they be physically demanding or for emotional enrichment. Report back with 3 things you've learned, including references when possible!

Answer: I've been having a hard time getting motivated in the morning to do my exercises. I will research motivators to get me moving. So the things I learned to motivate myself are:

1. Move your alarm clock across the room, that way you have to get out of your warm, awesome bed to turn it off.

2. Go for a 15 minute walk first thing in the morning. Get up to turn off the alarm, slip into shoes, and go walking.

3. Realize things take time and not to get down on yourself. Like with all good things, the best things take time and when you get down on yourself for missing a workout here and there (at least for me) it got slightly depressing and I made excuses to not have to do my workouts because of it.

• Mini Challenge #2: Game Plans! (+1 con, +1 wis)

Quest: SO in order to get re-organized this week, we want you to take a look at your fitness/diet goals, and your schedule over the next week, and come up with a game plan to reach your goals. We all have goals, but do we take the time to program a way to reach them? Everyone has a different way of organizing their schedule, but in order to complete this challenge, we want you to outline how, over the course of the next week, you will work toward reaching your fitness goal.

Answer: I actually did these two weeks with our fail.

Thursday 8/16: 15 min workout, swim

Friday 8/17: 15 min workout, walk/jog

Saturday 8/18: 15 min workout, rest

Sunday 8/19: 15 min workout, swim

Monday 8/20: 15 min workout, walk/jog

Tuesday 8/21: 15 min workout, swim

Wednesday 8/22: 15 min workout, walk/jog

Thursday 8/23: 15 min workout, swim

Friday 8/24: 15 min workout, walk/jog

Saturday 8/25: 15 min workout, rest

Sunday 8/26: 15 min workout, swim

Monday 8/27: 15 min workout, walk/jog

Tuesday 8/28: 15 min workout, swim

Wednesday 8/29: 15 min workout, walk/jog

Thursday 8/30: 15 min workout, swim

Friday 8/31: 15 min workout, walk/jog

• Week 3 Mini-Challenge: Clear the path (+1 con)

Quest: Identify and work towards ridding yourself of a bad habit that keeps you from reaching your goals. This can be something as simple as "I won't press the snooze button more than twice" or "I will stop sleeping in on the weekend".

Answer: I will stop drinking ANY thing with sugar for example lemonade, sweet tea, coffee.

Lvl 1. Human - Swordmage

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines